Do you feel the need to be a perfect football fan?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Snowjoe, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mar 8, 2018

Snowjoe Enjoys hatching eggs for people Staff

I’ve been thinking recently how I feel like I’ve seen a large increase of people who like to give rivals credit where it’s due and don’t like to be seen as small time and hypocritical, so focused on being right and having a deep intelligence about the game.

However I’ve always felt being a fan is pretty much full time pettiness and being a huge hypocrite and that’s part of the joy of it. It’s like a childish affair where you get to rinse your rivals when they do shit and you take it back from them when you feck up.

Like we’ve only rinsed fans for being small time because we’ve been so successful for that Fergie time that we didn’t need to be small time. But when you’re not competing for trophies you still have to focus on getting one up on your rivals no matter how petty it is, otherwise what’s the point?

I mean I’ve seen people say if we don’t win the title they don’t care if Liverpool are above us if we are in the top four because it doesn’t matter. It does matter though, I want to be able to rinse my scouse mates and they wanna rinse me too.

What I’m trying to say I guess is feck Liverpool.
  2. Mar 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

I completely agree. I’ve noticed this too, and it is really annoying. For me it’s all about United - I’m not interested in pseudo intellectual hipster conversations about Tottenham and their chubby coach :p

And yes, the conclusion should always be «feck Liverpool».
  3. Mar 8, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Many of fans want to appear ideal and unlike RAWK so that they go the other extreme, bashing us and hailing the opposition all the time.

I just don't care. I'm not an ideal football fan and I don't want to be.
  4. Mar 8, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

People seem to care more about knowing about football than being a fan of the sport and it's teams. I'm 100% hypocritical, and to be honest I don't give a rats ass about that. I don't see why anyone should.

feck liverpool
  5. Mar 8, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I was a Spurs fan before it was cool - how hipster is that? I'm going to grow a massive beard now.
  6. Mar 8, 2018

Cal? CR7 fan

I am a United more than I'm a football fan, so feck the rest.
  7. Mar 8, 2018

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

I can easily admit that other teams are playing good football, or even are a good team, but i will still always hate Liverpool and City.
    The love for City and Pep on here is getting ridicolous though.
  8. Mar 8, 2018

Jake Mine's too big and gay.

This.

Edit: feck city too.
  9. Mar 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Yeah ;) I was specifically talking about United fans fawning over Spurs and «Poch» though.
  10. Mar 8, 2018

Jeppers7 Full Member

Yeah no interest in anything other than United. The amount of threads about other clubs on here is staggering. The only other threads that interest me are the ones about when Gerrard slipped . That was as good as seeing united win the league.
  11. Mar 8, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

What gets me is people saying playing nice football is the most important thing. Get to feck with that. Wigan used to play nice football and now they're in League One.
  12. Mar 8, 2018

Cal? CR7 fan

This.
  13. Mar 8, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I've always thought football fandom is inherently childish and illogical so a bit of silliness and pettiness is fine. However I prefer to keep this side of my fandom moderated and in the right places (at games, with friends, the Matchday forum) and I prefer to be measured and non-WUMish elsewhere (with most strangers, at work, on here apart from the Matchday forum).

I don't mind giving other teams credit and discussing them with knowledgeable oppo fans but I'm 100% United over general football.
  14. Mar 8, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I mean, to me it is, but someone said something to me in a previous thread which kind of made sense to me: I'm more of a fan of the game than a fan of the team. Win or lose, I seldom get emotional, and despite following the same club since the mid 90s, there have been periods (Hodgson springs to mind) where I'd watch any game besides my own teams game. :lol:

Do I feel the need to be the perfect fan? Absolutely not. My football knowledge is limited, so any attempt at being a "pseudo intellectual hipster" as SirAF rightly puts it would just come across as idiotic :lol: But football isn't the biggest thing for me, so if I am gonna dedicate 90+ mins to a match, it has to be entertaining, and if it's not, I'll just stop watching & do something else.
  15. Mar 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

This.
  16. Mar 8, 2018

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Exactly. It would obviously be nice if our football was better, but to me it's about the results.
    I do not care how Liverpool or City play, as long as we beat the ugly cnuts.
  17. Mar 8, 2018

Arbitrium Supposed to be taking a year off

That’s an amazing dig at so many posters on here, well played :lol:

I’ve always been a United and Celtic fan and have been to enough games to class myself as a true supporter of both. With Celtic particularly, we know the standard of football in the league isn’t the best so it makes it easier to focus on the “get one over on your rivals” side of things. People call it small time, but when rangers went into administration and then liquidated, I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much as I did at a few of the away games where it was non stop singing about them going bust. It was glorious, and for me definitely something that would be expected of a true Celtic fan, to laugh extensively at a rivals ultimate misfortune.
  18. Mar 8, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

Yeah, I'm not. I'm a United fan. If they ceased to exist tomorrow I wouldn't give a toss about the premier league. The most important part of football for me is of United walk off the pitch with a win.

The Palace game for example was a feckin brilliant game. Did we play shite in the first half? Yeah. Do I give a toss? No.

Likewise, wouldn't care if we parked the bus in every game if we won.
  19. Mar 8, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    The other side of that coin is you only have to take a look at what negative football and tactics have done to Italian football and its only in the last while they are coming out of it.

------------
    Back on topic, I'm a football fan first, then a City fan. Without the game, there is no club, simples. So while I'll never cheer on our rivals, I don't think hating United, Chelsea etc.. will make me more of a City fan. Imho, disliking other clubs has nothing to do with supporting your own.

Would I like to see United finish 20th, of course I would, but not because they are United, simply because they are a huge club. I'd like to see any of the leagues historically great clubs relegated for the sheer meltdown and banter. Truth be told, I was cheering on Spurs last night, will cheer on Chelsea and United too in the CL. Maybe not cheer on, but will certainly be hoping they win.

Too many people think supporting their club involves hating their rivals. If I hated United would that make me a bigger City supporter? Nope.
  20. Mar 8, 2018

Arbitrium Supposed to be taking a year off

Also @Snowjoe a lot of this has to do with maturity and influences/values elsewhere in life. I’d imagine the mean age of this forum falls somewhere in the 20-30 range, and a lot of those people have just became “wiser” and a bit less inclined to say “feck you” to their rivals like they would have done in their teens.
  21. Mar 8, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Why would I care about being 'perfect'. Perfect to whom? Is it like trying to be the perfect person like some people try to be the most moral person ever?

I watch Man United games to experience the emotional roller coaster of a game, and the elation of them winning a game.

For me, the only other people I care about are players like Messi and Ronaldo, players who you can only see once in your life.
  22. Mar 8, 2018

Return of the Manc Banned

Meh. Barcelona were the greatest team ever and they played the nicest football. A combination of Nice football and resilience is needed to be consistent at the top; not one or the other. Wigan did not have resilience. We as a club only have resilience currently (if that) and it is more about how some fans feel about Jose ( the so called special one who has yet to do anything special; who actually managed rival teams before us :lol:) than how we feel about the club.

This thread is completely about the 'perfect fan' and seems like that is the only type of fan who is in here; so I better leave.

However, people can say they Hate city, Hate Liverpool, Hate Gerrard - but they spend all their free time watching their matches; reading about them and talking about them - because unlike this guy

They cannot admit they are a fan of football first and foremost. Hate is a strong word where their actions do not draw parallels.

Anyway, I better leave - sorry If i upset anyone.
  23. Mar 8, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

Is the decline of Italian football simply down to defensive tactics? I wouldn't say it is. I think there was a larger problem at play there.

fwiw a proper Italian style defensive performance is "beautiful" to me. Effectively and systematically shutting a team down is great.
  24. Mar 8, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Yeah, in the stands watching your team play, or at a rowdy bar. Or in the matchday forum.

Now imagine if the Caf was only the matchday forum.
  25. Mar 8, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

The decline of Italian football is because the corruption got exposed. Absolute nonsense to suggest 'negative' football led to the decline, because Italian fans think that defensive football is 'positive'. Defense is an art in Italy.
  26. Mar 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Nah, I’d take a look at where the money is.
  27. Mar 8, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    At that point it ceases to be entertaining for me, like it has done in the past in regards to my own club. I might as well just check the BBC site after the match and go "Oh hey, we won 1-0." If Liverpool ceased to exist, I'd join the rest of my family in supporting Villa, who are kinda like a second club to me anyway. I'd not really lose much sleep over it.
  28. Mar 8, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

This thread is about the "perfect football fan" not "perfect United fan". Read my post again, I said people who think playing nice football is the most important thing. It's not.
  29. Mar 8, 2018

el3mel Full Member

What ? Juve has just reached 2 CL finals in last 3 years while still playing as a proper Italian team, defensive and solid.

If you mean NT, their current team is full of average players that aren't comparable to the previous generations.
  30. Mar 8, 2018

Skills Snitch

Don't give a shit about giving credit to rivals. I'm a United fan first and foremost, football fan secondary (don't watch enough football outside of United).
  31. Mar 8, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

I guess that's where we differ. The excitement for me is United winning first and foremost. These are all just opinions at the end of the day. But I genuinely think people who post stuff like "I don't care if we win as long as we play nice football" is just absolutely crazy and that's happened multiple times since LvG took over United. I find it bizarre, I see no entertainment or benefit of playing nice football for 90 minutes and walking away with a loss.
  32. Mar 8, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    I love it too actually. I give Jose more credit here than most United fans even though I can say I really don't like the guy but I do also call him a coward when I feel he's defensive for not reason. I can actually say I don't like him and I have no real reason not too..

The decline of Serie A is not totally down to tactics but lots of people and journalists made great points about it killing the game. In Serie A alot of manager at that time saw Gianni Berras quote "the perfect game is 0-0." as a real blueprint and while great defending at times is beautiful, having two teams with no intention to win is just boring. The beautiful defending can only work if one team is attacking.

You mentioned the United game the last day. The first half was a United content to do feck all but defend (and they did that poorly), the second half we saw shades of Fergusons United, attacking with pace and power, overloading etc.. because you came out to play and for a half hour it was magnificent. It was the attacking United that entertained you most?
  33. Mar 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

I’ll probably give the WC a pass tbh :lol: Well, okay, I have to tune in to watch Viva!
  34. Mar 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Completely agree. We are definitely on the same page.
  35. Mar 8, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    Taking this off topic a little but why?
  36. Mar 8, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

Without the first half of the Palace game, the second doesn't exist. I brought that up because some people were moaning about our first half and how it ruined the game even though we won. That mentality doesn't fly with me. I guess that was a poor game to choose but it was the closest I could think of. Maybe the Burnley match in January would be a better example. I felt that was a good watch and I enjoyed watching it, even if most would say it was a drab match.

I don't know enough about Serie A to continue down that route of conversation, I'd be pulling half truths from my brain. Just my first thought was I'd be surprised it was tactics that caused the decline as opposed to the corruption and dwindling monetary resources from the second half of the last decade.
  37. Mar 8, 2018

Boycott Full Member

The way I see it, if football was all about winning then everyone would just support the same few clubs. Similarly paying out of your pocket to watch a game would not be worth it because it doesn't matter if the 90 minutes was utter rubbish quality if one moment each week ends up in the back of the net.

The last season I regularly went to OT was 2006/07. I try and go a couple of times a season but things change. The prices are very high, the atmosphere is not great and I've fallen out of love with top level football because of how money-orientated and fickle it has become.

Going to non-league is now my favorite form of watching football. Because it reminds me of the early days of going to Utd. English football is blessed to have such a great following from Premier League to Sunday League. 5000 on a Conference North game makes better noise and engagement than PL grounds. The football is not all about the final result. I enjoy watching players show their skill and teams fighting for every ball even though the next day you can walk by them in the street and see them working at a construction site. That's football for me - an escapism from everyday mundane and stress.
  38. Mar 8, 2018

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

Yea absolutely, feck Liverpool!

Wait what was the question?
  39. Mar 8, 2018

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

There's a nice middle ground between the Bluemoon/Rawk style OTT loathing of all other teams and all other players and the kind of fans we've had an influx of on here who go out of their way to compliment rival teams and put Utd down.

I can watch City score a goal and ackowledge when it's a great goal for example but at no point is it enjoyable or fun to see.
  40. Mar 8, 2018

Greck Full Member

Will never subscribe to the top red school of thought. Call it as it is if you disagree or you'll often end up contradicting your own logical beliefs. It's only football