Do you want to see Guardiola at Chelsea?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Polaroid, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012

1999united2008 Banned

agree with this, from Abramovich's POV Benitez is the obvious choice, the question would be if he will take the job given the baggage that comes with it.
  2. Mar 5, 2012

cinc Full Member

They will be for years the only of two teams capable of winning the Spanish League, but that's because of the glaring and manifactured financial dominance they and Real have.

But I do think their European dominance will become a thing of the past in 3 years. Its just the nature of these great teams - they cant go on forever.

And knowing the structure of these clubs (that are destined to make them hot headed, kneejerk decisions at presidential elections) even a blip could send them on a downward spriral.

I hope not though, European football needs more of the traditional powerhouses and less of the sugardaddy clubs (though you could say Real and Barca belong to both).
  3. Mar 5, 2012

cinc Full Member

His recent (last 6 years) performance speaks against him.
  4. Mar 5, 2012

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Exactly this, with the ridiculous amount of talent they have there I think he could bring a few youngsters with him that wouldn't be too expensive yet and build a very decent team. Players like Tello, Alcantara or Cuenca look ridiculously good at a very young age already.
  5. Mar 5, 2012

Guy Incognito Full Member

If Benitez was 'nailed on' for the job, surely Roman would have given him a contract by now? Not like he is managing now...
  6. Mar 5, 2012

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

Worrying? Wouldn't mind see more quality ARRIVING in the EPL. It really has been all downwards since we sold Ronaldo.
  7. Mar 5, 2012

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

Bullshit, love Guardiola but the last thing I would want is a manager who gets bored of it all after three years. It doesn't quite reach everyone on here and the press don't make as huge a meal of it, but Guardiola has spent the last year or so doing the Ronaldo-style "only God knows" speeches concerning his future at Barca.

feck that.
  8. Mar 5, 2012

Bross Noggie Pez Dispenser

Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
    Would love it because it would put an end to the "Is Guardiola a great manager" debate. If he succeeds, he shows that its not just the players and mentality instilled at Barcelona that's made him succeed there. If he fails, there goes his reputation.

Personally I dont think he would do well at Chelsea, so thats another bonus. But I still prefer Rafa for the hilarity-factor.
  9. Mar 5, 2012

Cling Bak Hi, I'm Barry Scott

Credit where it's due to Mourinho and Madrid, because there are signs that this is already happening.

I wouldn't want Guardiola at Chelsea because I think he's good. They can have Benitez. I also don't like how they've treated AVB and wouldn't want it to happen to another respected manager.

AVB's appointment pointed to a patient and long standing relationship but they appear to have backed down on that. Yet, they've kept Di Matteo in, so largely they're naively claiming to be happy with everything except AVB, as the rest has stayed put. Ridiculous. Chelsea needed more than a new manager and the new manager could've delivered, in time.

Pep is more suited to Arsenal, whilst I wouldn't be against him coming to United, post-Ferguson.
  10. Mar 5, 2012

Inspectah deck Full Member

You say that with so much conviction, what nonsense :lol:
  11. Mar 5, 2012

Cling Bak Hi, I'm Barry Scott

Well, it'd probably answer the question and therefore, end the debate. Whichever way you look at it.
  12. Mar 5, 2012

Inspectah deck Full Member

I just don't think the Chelsea job, all factors considered is a good barometer for how great a manager is. Considering how many managers-all of previously excellent pedigree-tried and "failed" at the job. It's hard to do anything with that mad man as the owner.
  13. Mar 5, 2012

Neo_Mufc Full Member

Really don't get why Guadiola is being tipped to leave Barcelona. Just because he says every year that he might leave?

Why would anyone in there right mind want to leave Barcelona in it's current form.
  14. Mar 5, 2012

Mr Anderson Full Member

As said in numerous threads. Most managers will struggle with the egos in that dressing room. A few players are bigger than the club there, doubt any manager will have good control unless things are going good or that those fecktards are given the door.
  15. Mar 5, 2012

LoveInTheAsylum Full Member

I'd rather Guardiola came here when Fergie finally calls it a day. Guardiola likely having a DoF is a great point - after Ferguson retires, do people think we're likely to start operating with one? I imagine it would be a good way to add a bit of insurance and stability to what is going to be an extraordinarily difficult period.

I just find it incredibly hard to guess what Chelsea are going to do. They appointed Villas-Boas for his project, yet rather than back him over that small group of senior players through the mistakes he made (did they really imagine he would be faultless?) they sacked him before he had a chance to really implement anything. I'd still say they are now in a better state going forward than before he arrived in the summer. Yet now they are bound to revert back to how they were when Hiddink came in '09 - a return to the status quo with the senior names back in the starting lineup each week in a familiar formation.

Would a Guardiola appointment really lead to anything different? He'd probably have more respect from the players but he is surely another project manager. Chelsea are like Madrid in that they now have the youth system in place I think, they just don't use the players. I'd be slightly worried with the right coach in place, like Guardiola potentially is, but fortunately it seems no-one is likely to get the backing required to see real change through. You either believe in change and the man you think can bring it about, or you just stick to the conveyer belt of top coaches.
  16. Mar 5, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

Guardiola isn't going to go to Chelsea, so it's a stupid question.
  17. Mar 5, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

United will not go for Guardiola. United are far more likely to go for a manager like Moyes with SAF as director of football for a few years.
  18. Mar 5, 2012

sdb4884 Full Member

Hopefully Chelsea will miss the top four then the answer would be a definitive no.
  19. Mar 5, 2012

Maybe this will take the thread too off course, but what's your rationale for that? Why do you think Moyes would be any better working with SAF in that role than Guardiola? I know a lot of different things have been said about our next manager but I'm sure that a key thing was top level experience. Do you feel that's changed with the recent comments about Fergie staying on and he'll attempt to groom someone into another long-term stint at the club? Experience becomes a lot less important if so.
  20. Mar 5, 2012

snootyjim In most joy

Yes, because I'd like to see him fail.
  21. Mar 5, 2012

Wowi Rød grød med fløde

Who's saying they aren't negotiating as we speak? According to some rumours Chelsea did ask Benitez, but the initial contract was only until summer which he refused. Can't remember where I read the rumours, and it's probably bollocks anyway, but I'm just saying that you can't rule it out just because it hasn't happened.

Don't think it'll happen though. Benitez does have that CL trophy with Liverpool (and generally a quite good cup record) that might convince Roman though.
  22. Mar 5, 2012

ben_foster On Loan to Watford

Couldnt possibly care less
  23. Mar 5, 2012

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

No. He's a talented young manager that does not deserve how he would be treated by chelski (a dog for abramovich) if he goes there. Plus I don't want to see chelsea play good football and win things. Hopefully Rafa Benitez goes there.
  24. Mar 5, 2012

Shimo Full Member

I would like to only because am curious how good Guardiola is as a manager. He's done brilliantly to marry all the talent at his disposal into an almost unstoppable force but, wonder if he'd be as good with a tier of players below what he has now.
  25. Mar 5, 2012

John_Jensen Full Member

Yeah i'm the same, i'm leaning more towards him being very good.

Barcelona for all their talent we're world beaters before he took over & the amount of effort and hard work he's managed to get out of these successful players over q considerable length of time tells me he's a lot to do with their success.
  26. Mar 5, 2012

IBleedRed likes to use pantyhose

I think the only reason pep would even consider it is if he's a huge mercenary and only cares about money (doubtful) or if he really wants to challenge himself as a manager

I love United and if I was the United manager no amout of money would convince me to move and I assume pep loves barca much more than I love United for obvious reasons so why would he move?

That said it would be quite interesting to see what would happen though I doubt even pep would be able to turn chelsea around especially (hopefully) if the big spending days are over due to FFP
  27. Mar 5, 2012

AttackingFlair Full Member

To answer the OP, no because he would probably do a good job and get rid of the older players and if he couldn't then he wouldn't take the job anyway.
  28. Mar 5, 2012

SteveJ all-round nice guy

Reuters: Benitez to Chelsea - 'No Progress'

29. Mar 5, 2012

Collina Full Member

I'm pretty sure you misread what he said.
  30. Mar 5, 2012

fishfingers15 Contributes to username and tagline changes

Nani Are you ok? Are you ok? Are you ok Nani?
    If Benitez gets the job, he'll tell Chelski to take it easy against Citeh, the Fat Spanish Waiter. I'd like Guardiola to take over at Chelsea to see how he's capable as a manager. Not managing the world's best team when it comes to the players must be an experience for him.
  31. Mar 5, 2012

Drifter American

Sven pimping himself again.
  32. Mar 5, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

People often link Pep away from Barcelona as though they're an also-ran club who are ripe for the picking.

Er, they're the best team in the world, and one of the most prominent sporting institutions in Europe. It's not as simple as saying Chelsea fancy him so they'll have him.

It seems to me that the only way he'll leave is if he fancies a new challenge. I could see that possibly being the case had Barca cleaned up yet again this season, but the fact Madrid, barring a catastrophe, are going to win La Liga suggests to me that Pep will want (at least) one more season after this to get 'their' trophy back.

Aside from all that, Pep seems like a hugely principle bloke when it comes to football style and I'm not sure he'd buy into the whole autocratic approach from Abramovich. Sure, Pep might decide he wants to try something new soon, but there's better options than Chelsea to suit him.
  33. Mar 5, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Going to Chelsea from Barca would a bit of a downgrade
  34. Mar 5, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Don't see it happening, but I wouldn't want it to happen anyway. I'm not saying that Guardiola would be successful with Chelsea, however he'd certainly improve the state of the team, and have them challenging again.

He's got a lot to prove in his mind as well. I think he's a top manager, however a lot of people have doubts about him and use the generic response that anyone could win with this Barcelona side. That may be true, but it's a side that he moulded into what they are. Many forget that they were sitting in 3rd when he came into the club.
  35. Mar 5, 2012

phelans shorts Full Member

Alas they were in a much better position than the league points out, they had weeded out and began to sell the trouble causers 1 by 1, in much a similar way to selling Lampard/Terry/Drogba some may say.
  36. Mar 5, 2012

What the feck are you on about?
  37. Mar 5, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I'm not denying that they were in a better position than the league would suggest, but let's be honest, they were hardly in a brilliant position. They certainly weren't in a position to go on and win the treble the very next season.

The trouble makers in and around the club were sold, but it was Guardiola who was mainly responsible for that. Many people would have looked at Ronaldinho as a top player who would soon find his best form again, but Guardiola had the guts to just axe him, and it worked out in the end.
  38. Mar 5, 2012

Hasnt Pep hinted at being bored with the Barcelona job? He keeps giving ambiguous answers when asked wether he'll be at Barca next season. Its not that ridiculous to think that he would go to Chelsea, given that he would probably get the biggest paycheck possible and a lot of financial backing as well.

Abramovich also knows that Guardiola's style of football can win Champions Leagues so there is some reason to believe he would allow more freedom for Guardiola than he gave a more unproven manager in AVB.
  39. Mar 5, 2012

I think it's a safe bet that instead it's due to all the umm-ing and ahh-ing Guardiola does himself each year and his steadfast refusal to sign on for more than one year at a time. He's spoken many times about the incredible strain of managing in such an atmosphere as that at Barca, all of which Brwned covered in an earlier post. Questioning whether he would want to join Chelsea is entirely fair though.
  40. Mar 5, 2012

Amir Full Member

It would certainly be a challenge, one that he doesn't really need to take. Obviously at some stage he may want to test himself on a different stage, at a different club, but taking Chelsea right now, at the stage their playing staff is, is one heck of a test. To be honest, Barcelona next season may be a big test in itself after losing the title. Will have to see if they can win the European Cup again, which would obviously soften the blow massively.

My feeling, though, is that he won't be taking such a challege at any stage of his career and Barcelona will be the only top european side he ever coaches.