Does anyone still see potential for Lukaku?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by RedTillI'mDead, May 29, 2019.

1. Jun 12, 2019

Wheato Full Member

Lukaku is nothing without service. He cannot make opportunities for himself, Like a RVN or RVP, he needs balls into the box that he can attack. This is why Jose was desperate to get Perisic. It was for his assists and crossing ability. It would guarantee to make Lukaku a 30 goal a season striker. When Pogba and Lukaku hit that groove in their first season together, it was through balls that were being played into him and he was running onto them and scoring loads of goals. Then something changed. He started playing with his back to goal and stopped making those runs. He came back from the World Cup shattered and out of shape. Funnily enough, his best game was Arsenal away when he was played on the right and asked to do something completely different. It bizarrely worked, which proves that he does have other elements to his game. As a plan B striker, he is a really strong option, but if we can get £75 million for him, we could go and get a top striker from France or Portugal for the same amount of money. This morning Greizmann has been saying he wants to come the PL. Hmmmmm
  2. Jun 12, 2019

haram Full Member

It’s not an age thing, it’s how he was positioned compared to Ibra. Ibra dropping deep was not helping us. We are better off with Lukaku pinning CB’s back and occupying them while leaving spaces for attacking midfielders. It’s number 9 play that does not show on stats.
  3. Jun 12, 2019

11101 Full Member

It's kind of what I'm saying. He is one of the best in the league sitting on a defenders shoulder and running at them, and that generally suits a team who sits back and counters. He's barely PL level if you ask him to drop back and get involved in the rest of the play but at a club aiming to challenge for the title you need strikers who can do that.
  4. Jun 12, 2019

adexkola Arsenal supporter

The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    I can think of a couple of good players who weren't given a chance at Chelsea. Doesn't tell me anything about his quality to be honest, flawed point.
  5. Jun 12, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

fecking hell, its one thing to argue whether Lukaku is good enough to be a top player, asking how he even became a pro? This is the player who has scored more than 100 PL goals, record goal scorer for Belgium NT.
  6. Jun 12, 2019

Aloysius's Back 3 New Member

If we are discussing why we should keep Lukaku then we probably should have kept Fellaini.
  7. Jun 12, 2019

Cloud7 Full Member

There’s more than a few who legitimately thought we should have kept Felliani.
  8. Jun 12, 2019

Mike Phelan's Former Tash New Member

He scored 12 premier league goals 19/20. He's not good enough, it's that simple.

Give Greenwood the same number of games next season, he'll score more than 12 goals AND he'll be exciting to watch.
  9. Jun 12, 2019

Aloysius's Back 3 New Member

It's as I said - I'm not going to pretend that Lukaku is a rubbish player because he is decent. However to get him playing at a standard that is decent requires the rest of the team to utilise him as the single central option.

If Lukaku is going to be successful here we need to use him the way Jose uses him & I really don't want to see that rubbish anymore. If we did then we better have kept Fellaini and gone for traditional wingers like perisic this season aswell.

I feel that football has moved on from Lukaku style striker - unless they can do the works where they are fluid like in their ability to play in a front 3 like Harry Kane does.

Keeping Lukaku and assuming he doesn't change means we have to change our football style to something that benefits no one.

For me Lukaku is still worth a lot of money & keeping him for another year will most likely halve the amount we can get the lad.
    We need a RW that can score 15+ goals to replace Lukaku & we can get one or even another CF or RW on top of we sell Lukaku right now.
  10. Jun 12, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Yes. His abilities and the technical fast paced high pressing development of the game does not match at all.

Get Ziyech in at RW and we will have a technical player that will bag goals and assist.
    We already have two players that are best as strikers in Rashford and Martial, but we would still need the option of a hold-up player. I think either Mandzukic, Haller or even Tammy Abraham could do this. Each with their strengths.
  11. Jun 12, 2019

Jeffthered Full Member

Yep. That's it. Absolutely.

He'll do well in Serie A, where the expectations are different, the pace a little slower, and the overall intensity, again, less than at a massive Premier League club. Of course he would score loads at PSG, but which half-decent striker wouldn't?

But a Juve? Bayern? Barca? Real? Man City? Forget it.

Belgium in some ways look too good for him. And again... is he an inspiration for them? In the big, tough matches against the TOP international teams? No.

Lukaku is a decent player, but United was too much for him. I want good cash for him, and to see him out the door. Why keep him?

Jamie Vardy would score more goals at United than Lukaku, and give us much more off the ball.
  12. Jun 12, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

Ziyech would be amazing buy. Creative, scoring and versatile between attack or even midfield.
  13. Jun 12, 2019

GM K Full Member

If we sell Lukaku, who are we buying to replace him? I rate him higher than Icardi. Who else realistically?

But the big issue for me is, does he want to stay? I am done with players who are not willing to stay or come to United. If he wants out, let him go.
  14. Jun 12, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

That's pushing it though. He's not got a good enough first touch or finish for this to be the case. He's cost us points a few times because we've only had a couple of chances and fluffed his lines. Some then say 'well, Aguero doesn't finish all his chances either', but it's a classic case of not just using your eyes and admitting they should've done better in that specific situation.

I'd say he's a decent player for a team that doesn't have any expectations, because he'll have spurts of being in the right place at the right time (a skill in itself, being fair) and maybe not clearing it with his touch, missing from yards out, hiding behind defenders or tackling himself.
  15. Jun 12, 2019

Stacks Full Member

check the opposition. its Gibraltar, Ireland, Cyprus, Bosnia, Estonia Mexico Japan saudi arabia, greece, egypt, costa rica, panama tunisia, scotland, iceland swiss, kazakstan. can you even name the low budget defenders he is doing it against?
    after his blistering start up to November, he then averaged one league goal per month, it wasnt down to him.
    how many CL goals does he have for us in the 2 seasons. Lukaku fanboys are the worst.
    he has never been a top player
  16. Jun 12, 2019

mark_a Full Member

No. We clearly need to replace him, or be struggling for top 6 and taking beatings from newly promoted teams again this year. Clearly the issue of who to replace him with needs sorting, but frankly this season with him on the field it might as well be 10 men. Soz to the big fella, he seems lovely & all, but it just isn't working
  17. Jun 12, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

I disagree. Jose's are.
  18. Jun 12, 2019

Bestofthebest New Member

Don't understand why Lukaku is being singled out. He is not the best striker in the world but his record for Belgium is impressive and his starting career at Utd wasn't bad. Appeared to drop off at some stage during Mourinho's tenure and got worse after Ole came in, apart from a few good performances when he created and scored a few goals.

The thing is he is by no means the worst player on the books and some of the worst will still be here long after Lukaku leaves. One thing is sure is that his performances will improve with better players around him, as he does for Belgium, or plays in a team that creates more and better chances for him. Right now I think he is severely lacking in confidence at Utd.
  19. Jun 12, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

He's not being singled out, it's a thread about him. People always say this in player specific threads, ignoring all the (mostly valid) criticism for Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Fred, Shaw, Smalling, Jones, Young, even De Gea everywhere else.
  20. Jun 12, 2019

The Cat Doesn't know his own mobile number

No. We don't suit him and vice versa.
  21. Jun 12, 2019

StrettyEnder07 New Member

Strange one with Rom, put the ball in the box or in front of him and 7/8 times out of 10 he puts it away, he is a lethal finisher and I feel sorry for him at us because apart from the first 4 months under Jose, he has been living on absolute scraps. We hardly get into the opponents box whenever we play anyone half decent, he has Shaw and Young providing his crossing, which is just horrific plain and simple. Plus he has Rashford shooting from here then and everywhere, Martial/Lingard offering pretty much nothing, Matic/Herrera putting zero through balls through and hoping Pogba can create something for him time and again.

So from that point of view, to have scored the amount he has for us is pretty impressive.

But he does not help himself either, first touch is Sunday league standard, the weight he put on he could hardly run, he does not move, beyond lazy never works the channels unless being played out from the right, so it is a hard one, I feel sorry for him but also think he could do a lot more himself.

Anyway it looks as though he is going, replacements, not to sure who you are buying this summer. By all accounts, with James being brought in (who I think is being brought in to fight with Martial for the left, assuming Sanchez does leave), Ole apparently wants a RW, 2CMs, RB and CB. I can't see a CF being added to that list this summer so I would personally go for maybe Lozano at PSV. Plays RW or CF, quick, scores goals gets assists experienced, very good player, can cover Rashford at CF if needed, this will also give Greenwood a lot of game time throughout the season, plus that would give us an extra 60+ million for other areas of the pitch.
  22. Jun 12, 2019

Shaidabdullah Hussain New Member

So now he’s got 14? In his last 15 games for Belgium. If has the right players around him creating changes , in the right system for him, then he can be a prolific striker.

I’m just not sure that system is the way I want united to play.
  23. Jun 12, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

Must say Lukaku saying "you are grown ass man, deal with it" during end era of JM earned him some points.
  24. Jun 12, 2019

sp_107 New Member

he failed at UTD because of no proper service in last few seasons from midfield and flanks. I feel any good striker would have failed at UTD in last few years. With new players shall we keep him? I dont think so as I still find he is limited. we need a striker who is more fluid and brings everyone else into the play like Werner/Haller. so Wouldn't lose my sleep over selling Lukaku. I am sure he will do well in Italy.
  25. Jun 12, 2019

Beachryan More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

Does anyone see him - having already played almost a decade of top level football with very few breaks- getting any better?

I fear he's going to decline, and fast. We might even be seeing it now.
  26. Jun 12, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

What goal he scored in internationals by stadpadding means nothing. Infact when Belgium faced the first top team like Brazil in the world cup Martinez moved him to the wing to bulldoze his way past some defenders and KDB was the false 9 because Martinez knew he goes missing vs big teams from Everton times already. Imagine a top striker in any big clubs being moved away from his position.
    Getting rid of striker thats taking away from the attack as a whole is improvement already. Even if he didn't get replaced hypothetically we would be better off.
  27. Jun 12, 2019

Cantonagotmehere Full Member

I won't complain about that, sure will be exciting. Worrisome but exciting.
  28. Jun 12, 2019

Stacks Full Member

True. They refuse to see his flaws
  29. Jun 12, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Hard not to worry about this. God knows we've had more than our fair share of prematurely declining strikers already. I don't think I could cope with another one...
  30. Jun 12, 2019

Stacks Full Member

Fair point. although he has continue his terrible form against so called "better sides".
  31. Jun 12, 2019

AllezLesDiables Full Member

Ignore his international record. Nearly all the games the NT has played recently save for the WC have been against decidedly inferior teams. Plus with Hazard, Mertens, De Bruyne and 70% possession you could stick lots of strikers in there who would do well.

He’s a poor target man and has a terrible first touch unless the ball is settled.

As several have mentioned he needs to be in space and fits better as a 2nd striker in a counter attacking type team.

His abilities get nullified when Belgium is trying to cut through teams who are packing 10 at the back.

Love Rom as he’s a good dude who is passionate but he’s never going to be what fans want him to be a complete 9.
  32. Jun 12, 2019

wolvored Full Member

What we can garner from Ole is he wants nimble interchanging forwards who can dribble as well. None of this is Lukaku.