1. If you are having difficulty resetting your password in order to login to your account, please try again. There was a bug which is now fixed.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone still think Shaw is better then Rose?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Carl, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Mar 11, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

Shaw is much better than Rose.
  2. Mar 11, 2019

deadrevelz Full Member

Shaw has been great all season apart from the two months after he signed a new contract. Since Ole came he has been superb. His attacking play recently has been much better too.

As for the thread it's a silly discussion now.
  3. Mar 11, 2019

anant Full Member

Shaw's passing and technical abilities are incredibly underrated. He nearly always manages to find a pass when surrounded by oppo players. Just look at yesterday's game as an example, his one touch play, his passing was great especially when you consider Arsenal players were closing him down pretty fast.
    The only think I'd want more from Shaw is to take a few more risks going forward rather than passing to Martial/Rashy/Pogba when he reaches the final third.
  4. Mar 11, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Yeah agree with that. Obviously someone like Trippier is useful when you expect to dominate but you dont really want him against anyone who has decent wingers. Capable of some very good moments but really inconsistent for a position that needs consistenconover anything else IMO.
  5. Mar 11, 2019

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

ITT : People comparing wing backs to full backs.
  6. Mar 11, 2019

mitchmouse Full Member

No even close. Definite yes
  7. Mar 11, 2019

Catt The least positive person in match threads ever

Yes, Shaw is definitely better.
  8. Mar 11, 2019

17 Van der Gouw biffa bin

He's starting to look like the player we'd hoped he'd become prior to that broken leg.

He was fantastic for us under LvG, and very important. He's finally starting to live up to his potential.
  9. Mar 11, 2019

decorativeed Full Member

Never mind the question in the title, it's the grammar that's still bothering me over two years later! It's 'than', FFS!
  10. Mar 11, 2019

groovyalbert Full Member

He's really solid, and is fantastic defensively. I think he has lost a bit of pace though, and although he gets forward well, he's still not as dynamic at that part of his game as he was pre-leg break. To be expected.
  11. Mar 11, 2019

ash_86 Full Member

Shaw has a engine of a midfielder and touch of a great striker. No stopping him when he's bursting through.
  12. Mar 11, 2019

DSG Full Member

This is the best form of Luke Shaw’s career. He’s been excellent defensively. Going forward, he’s been outstanding since Ole took over.

Top 3 LB in England for sure.
  13. Mar 11, 2019

Camy89 Love Island obsessive

Change the title ffs. It's 'than'
  14. Mar 11, 2019

Trizy Full Member

Yup I've been preaching this for years. His first touch is that of a Brazilian, brilliant dribbling and like you said he always finds the pass through tight areas.
  15. Mar 11, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Dont care about the backlash, Shaw's been the best LB in the league this season
  16. Mar 11, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    No backlash from me. Luke Shaw has progressed really well this season and is now performing well and consistently. Well done Luke.
  17. Mar 11, 2019

ekestubbe New Member

And how long would you say Shaw has been impressive during his five years at the club?
  18. Mar 11, 2019

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham

Nah, been good but Robertson is on 8 assists while being part of the best defence in the league as well. Been consistently excellent.
  19. Mar 11, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

I take your point about the assists but Shaw is a much better defender than Robertson, the entire Liverpool defence has VVD and to a lesser part Alisson for the great defensive record
  20. Mar 11, 2019

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I really wouldn't say much better, Shaw is exceptionally good defensively but I've rarely seen Robertson had the better of in a game. His defensive work is superb as well, for me he's the better all round fullback than Shaw with that attacking contribution, brilliant cross on him.

For me Robertson is comfortably the best left back in the league, but Shaw is a good shout for 'best of the rest'. Certainly better than Rose and Alonso, Mendy is a crock, Kolasinac is not good. I rate Digne but he's not that good defensively.
  21. Mar 11, 2019

simplyared Full Member

Shaw started to improve when he was given a run by Mourinho, but then he stagnated and remained at a decent level, nothing more.Then since Ole came his form has rocketed. He's miles better than Rose no doubt!
  22. Mar 11, 2019

WR10 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Shaw has ironed out almost all his bad defensive habits and that alone has propelled him past rose.

The only horrible thing that Shaw has is his lack of care/creativity/wit when it comes to a final ball. Compare him to Dalot in that sense.
    Watch whenever shaw gets into a position to play a final ball. He plays no dummy in his body language. He plays no dummy in his gaze. He plays no dummy to open up space. He literally stands there, makes no jerky movements and plays a ball that everyone in the stadium expected him to play - usually resulting in a simple kick away from the defenders. There’s no urgency or desire to punish the opponents.

Compare that to Dalot. Straight off the bat he has mentioned in an interview exactly why he’s so deadly at final balls. He uses his intelligence to determine what would be the worst ball for the defenders to deal with at this moment in time and then punishes them. He carves so many chances out of nothing due to that.

If Shaw can ignite something in those positions he truly would be one of the best left backs around. He just is not convincing me that he has the intelligence or impetus to deliver that kind of attacking play. Having said that I didn’t think he could iron out his horrible defensive habits but he has - he has done it remarkably well.
  23. Mar 11, 2019

wolvored Full Member

Shaw has come on leaps and bounds under Ole. Hes what 23-24 now and still has 7-8 good seasons in him at least.
  24. Mar 11, 2019

dogwithabone Full Member

Best left back in the PL. I've made him MOM in four of the last five games I've seen him play in.
  25. Mar 11, 2019

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    I think we should sell him and sign a younger left back and start the process all over again because its more important to the club.
  26. Mar 12, 2019

Scholsey2004 Full Member

The threads 2 years old. Of course Shaw is a better player than rose now.
  27. Mar 12, 2019

RedIke Full Member

Comes down to Robertson and Shaw.

Robertson better attacking.

Shaw better defending.

Not many flaws between the two this season in my mind.
  28. Mar 12, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

The difference is that he's much younger and it's all about this season and the expectation beyond rather than his accomplishments. If Shaw is able to perform at a high level for only as long as Rose, then he should slap himself everyday for wasting everybody's time.
  29. Mar 12, 2019

Fridge chutney Full Member

If Mendy had stayed fit then he might have had a shout for best left back in the league.

Form-wise it's currently Shaw. Overall you would have to give it to Robertson. They make up the top 2 at least.
  30. Mar 12, 2019

haram Full Member

Well one is young and improving and one has clearly declined.
  31. Mar 12, 2019

shamans Hoser

From some of the comments on this page, Shaw is getting very overrated by our support. I guess he'll be the new Smalling in that regard who was not long ago arguably the top 3 defenders in the world.

Forget about Shaw and Rose. Shaw is a really good left back but he really has to work on his attacking game to be considered among the very best. As of now he obviously warrants his place in the starting lineup and it's not like I'm saying we need an improvement but he's no Patrice Evra.
  32. Mar 12, 2019

Cockney Phil Full Member

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    Shaw still carries the shock of his injury. Those sign are there - he defends much harder than he commits himself to going forward. He has become a powerful defender but his attacking ability lacks punch at times. His energy level and aggression against the Arse was not as high as against Paris. I don’t care about Rose, just another Spurs reject.
  33. Mar 12, 2019

VictoriaRed New Member

100%, without a doubt. He's been an incredibly consistent performer. One poster mentioned that he needs to take more risks, which I agree with; however, he's been in awesome form.
  34. Mar 12, 2019

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

You only have to see the PSG matches to see the true level of Shaw. Against world class opposition he was absolutely class. PSG didn't even bother to attack his side.

For all the complaints about Woodward(and rightfully so in some cases), we should all be grateful that he stood his ground and refused to sell Martial/Shaw when Mourinho asked him to do.
  35. Mar 12, 2019

A few people go overboard but nobody really considers him to be as good as Evra/among the elite. He has been excellent for us this season though and should be considered one of the PL's best (although that standard is much lower than the days of Cole and Evra).

Personally I do really like Shaw. He was phenomenal as a teenager and then fell away completely. Now he's got much of his game back together - he's pretty superb defensively and not many attackers (including Mbappe) are getting the better of him currently and he is always good on the ball. But yeah, he needs to drive forward and take more responsibiliy in attack to be considered elite.
  36. Mar 12, 2019

Red Star One Full Member

As much as I love and rate Shaw and think he’s been really great lately, I think it’s quite bold to say he’s better than Robertson. You won’t find many oppo fans agreeing on that and I personally would agree with them.
  37. Mar 12, 2019

Shaw is better defensively but Robertson wins due to his all round game being better at the moment. Some of his crossing has been really good as well as his overlapping runs.

Shaw has to be make the step up that regard. If he does he'll be unstoppable.
  38. Mar 12, 2019

Needham Full Member

Rose has been erratic and emotional of late. Plus surely Shaw shall shrewdly show Solskjaer shuddering sharp shooting .
  39. Mar 12, 2019

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    There are very few left backs ever as good as Patrice Evra, so if that is your marker for whether a player is quality or not, you're mistaken.

In that regard, people are comparing shaw against his current opposition and one can only state that he is more than competitive with the best left backs in the league.
  40. Mar 12, 2019

Frank Grimes Full Member

It's laughable. Robertson is a much better player as of now.