1. If you are having difficulty resetting your password in order to login to your account, please try again. There was a bug which is now fixed.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone still think Shaw is better then Rose?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Carl, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Mar 13, 2019

AR87 Full Member

What I'm saying is the majority of people don't watch Shaw/United every week and they also don't watch Robertson/Liverpool every week. These aren't attacking players where you can see a ton of their quality in MOTD highlights and statistical output. So the result is people overweight team success and defensive record when judging defenders very often.

His set piece delivery has been poor. That's about all I agree with. His attacking play has not been, especially of late where it seems with Martial out he has more license to get forward to provide width on the left. He often is restricted in attacking play because when Martial/Sanchez play ahead of him he has to stay back to give them free reign as well as Pogba who plays CM but often occupies areas forward on the left flank. Robertson provides the width for Liverpool as their CMs aren't creative outlets.

Comparing the two and simply saying Robertson does more in attack and Shaw's attacking play is shite simply doesn't take into account context. Like I said, I'd edge it to Robertson, but there's not the wide gap between them "neutrals" think there is.
  2. Mar 13, 2019

Frank Grimes Full Member

I understand your point but it's not like we don't have enough of a sample size of watching Liverpool (I've watched 70 percent of liverpool games this season) games to suggest that Robertson is a superior player to Shaw. Common sense suggests when you see a player performing at the level Robertson has played for 18 months that he is the best left back in the league.

Maybe the fact that he plays in a better team accentuates that but even then that doesn't explain why Shaw has such poor delivery. Robertson is also a better defender imo and has played in a side with the best defence in the league this season, despite been an attacking side. Will be interesting to see if the players pick Shaw over Robertson in the PFA team, I'll be shocked if they do.

Shaw can still go up another level as he is younger but until he does it's a clear Robertson win for me.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  3. Mar 13, 2019

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

Robertson is certainly better in my eyes. Could argue for Mendy as well.
    Doesn't take away anything from Shaw, he has been brilliant for us since Ole took over and could still develop further.
  4. Mar 13, 2019

AR87 Full Member

We're talking about this season and current form though. Between the two I see little. I'd say when Liverpool faced United a few weeks ago Shaw had a better match even, not that I'd declare him better just based on one match.

Robertson definitely has better delivery from wide areas. I think Shaw's buildup play is better. For an FB the former is more valuable and is largely why I think Robertson is better.

Defensively I don't see Robertson as being better. His side being better defensively is more about the quality of VVD and Mourinho's cluelessness for more than half the season. I don't think Liverpool would skip a beat defensively if you swapped the two. Tbf, United may not either even though I believe Shaw is better defensively.

I suspect players will pick Robertson over Shaw. He deserves it. I'd vote for Robertson as well. I simply don't see a massive gap between the two.
  5. Mar 13, 2019

Frank Grimes Full Member

Nobody said that there was a massive gap just that Robertson is clearly better, the margin of the gap is arbitrary.

Basically until Shaw improves his assist rate and attacking play he will be behind a player of Robertson's calibre. A modern full back must be good at attacking to be classed as top class, saying Shaw is better at everything except attacking is an admission that a key part of his game is deficient. It's like saying Rashford is as good as Mbappe except for his finishing.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  6. Mar 13, 2019

AR87 Full Member

Shaw's attacking play is good. He combines well and is good in the build up. He also has a good eye for forward passes. What he isn't good at is consistently whipping in crosses. That's where Robertson has the edge.

A modern FB still needs to be good at defending. That's still the most important part of the job and it's where I believe Shaw is better than Robertson. We view the importance of these advantages differently it seems.
  7. Mar 13, 2019

Frank Grimes Full Member

You have to be good at both imo.
  8. Mar 13, 2019

RedDevilCanuck Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

I thought he was done.

Now I believe he can shut down the best attackers in the world.

Hopefully the crossing and creativity get better.
  9. Mar 13, 2019

Rifer Full Member

Thread turning into "Shaw vs Robertson, with a lil bit mention of Rose."
  10. Mar 13, 2019

davidmichael Full Member

Rose was at his best at a time Shaw was seriously injured or couldn’t string a couple of games together so I’ve never understood how a comparison between the two can be made but now Shaw is a far superior left back than Rose in my mind and I wouldn’t dream of swapping them, I’d like to see Tierney come in from Celtic to give Shaw competition.