Downplaying Fatigue

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by TheReligion, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Mar 19, 2017

TheReligion Abusive

Seems to be common place here at the moment.

United have played 48 games this season so far with what is essentially our squad of last season.

We have won the league cup, are in the quarter finals of the Europa Cup and are 5th within 3 points of 4th and 6 from 2nd (at the time of writing) with a game in hand.

I really don't get the moaning or what the expectations in such a short time are from some of you?

We have alot of games to play and where we finish is in our hands. No one elses. There's also a huge chance of more silverwear and a European Final.

Don't be so spoilt.
  2. Mar 19, 2017

Martial Full Member

We just won an away game in the Premier League without Ibra, Pogba, and Herrera. Just over a week after a trip to Russia, and two games inbetween, including playing 60 odd minutes with just 10 men away at Stamford Bridge.

And people are complaining how we won?
  3. Mar 19, 2017

LouisDanGaal Full Member

You forgot mkhitaryan.
  4. Mar 19, 2017

El Zoido Full Member

Football is now a video game where fatigue isn't real.

Also footballers get paid ridiculous wages so this means they can play every day and the normal biological limits don't apply. Some bloke down the pub said that if he was getting paid a hundred grand a week he'd play every day.
  5. Mar 19, 2017

TheReligion Abusive

It was a tricky game especially given they had the new manager effect.

The only team to be consistent this term is Chelsea. Everyone else has dropped silly points. Winning two trophies would be better than most achieve.
  6. Mar 19, 2017

MrPooni Full Member

There's a difference between talking a lot about football and understanding it and I'm afraid a lot of posters on here are far more interested in doing the former and which is negatively impacting their grasp on the latter.
  7. Mar 19, 2017

Jacob Full Member

No matter how you twist and turn it, we've been horrendous at home and terrific away. Had we won most of the home games we'd be challenging Chelsea!
  8. Mar 19, 2017

Garethw Full Member

Oh, the guy that's always injured or fatigued. Forgot about him :D
  9. Mar 19, 2017

DevilRed Full Member

Lingard and Valencia made a huge difference today. Both looked fresh and pacy. Rashford wasnt bad too but he missed way too many chances and made too many poor decisions.

Should have been an easy rout. We seem to play better away from home simply because teams actually come out to attack us and we have more room to run at them.
  10. Mar 19, 2017

Skills Snitch

Some rotation would help
  11. Mar 19, 2017

LouisDanGaal Full Member

He really is. Makes me appreciate him all the more when he plays.
  12. Mar 19, 2017

LouisDanGaal Full Member

That is what today was about. Aside from for the defenders pretty much everyone else isn't first choice.
  13. Mar 19, 2017

Cliche Guevara Full Member

I'm a bit confused, is this topic definitely about fatigue?
  14. Mar 19, 2017

MrPooni Full Member

We're also coming off the back of a major international tournament followed by a pretty disrupted pre-season i.e. the disastrous tour of China and LvG's odd decision to limit the number of pre-season friendlies. All these things add up.
  15. Mar 19, 2017

The United Full Member

Obviously, the squad can't be close to 100% at this moment. No squad is at any point.

As long as it does not become an excuse for dropping silly points or throwing games for a side who should be competing the titles. Jose himself said no one competes at 100% in sport.

But then again, I thought players would be at their peaks around this time anyway? At least that's what I heard how they aim to do.
  16. Mar 19, 2017

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

We played just as much under Fergie with worse injuries, but he didn't complain and funnily enough, he did something that Mourinho doesn't do, rotate.
  17. Mar 19, 2017

Handré1990 Full Member

This is also a key point, in additon to Mkhi who has bailed us out in more than a couple of tight games.
  18. Mar 19, 2017

shaky Full Member

It's easy when you're steamrolling the league every other season. Too many people expect us to still play like peak Fergie every game when the reality is that we're coming off the back of a few poor years and there are no shortcuts back to the top. It will take hard work and gradual progress, which is exactly what we're getting.
  19. Mar 19, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    7 changes today.
  20. Mar 19, 2017

SirAF Ageist

This, so much :lol:
  21. Mar 19, 2017

What? So it was easy for Fergie to rotate and avoid fatigue? Come on.

The only times I ever see fatigue used as an excuse by managers is when their team isn't performing well during that spell of games.

We also have the biggest squad in the league at our disposal.

I don't mind Mourinho using fatigue as an excuse to the public if he feels it helps deflect blame, it's what he does, but it is kinda... bollocks.
  22. Mar 19, 2017

The United Full Member

Actually people forget that SAF's teams played like shit and conservative around this time too.

It is just he didn't really complain about the fatigue every other weeks. He managed it most of the time.

It is not exactly fair to compare as he was a better manager.
  23. Mar 19, 2017

Dobbs Full Member

Which of today's players were struggling with fatigue? Valencia?

The rest probably feel they haven't played enough.

Nothing to do with being spoilt, it's just a reality. We can pretend Rashford, Lingard and Fellaini are tired if it makes you feel better though.
  24. Mar 19, 2017

shaky Full Member

I honestly think folk are making far too much of a couple of random comments from Mourinho. Why has him mentioning fatigue got everyone so riled up? He says things that he thinks will give us some sort of advantage. Whether it does or not is debatable but it seems such a silly thing to care about either way, as long as we are still ticking along ok.
  25. Mar 19, 2017

Who's getting riled up? This is a thread literally saying to NOT downplay the fatigue because it is a big thing. I'm arguing otherwise.
  26. Mar 19, 2017

The United Full Member

You have a point though.

I pointed out in another thread about how we rotated a lot in certain areas and a few players getting banned, injuried and got some breaks here and there.

So I don't think the squad should be that tired at this point.

But, as it has been said, Jose was bsing to prove a point. Just that it got annoying after awhile. And some people got on with the narrative.
  27. Mar 19, 2017

SuperiorXI Full Member

Wouldn't last 5 mins.

People underestimate the athletic level required to compete for 90 mins at a professional level. I think the win today in the circumstances we were in was a good achievement. Yes we should be easily beating teams like this, but you have to take each game with the circumstance it's played in.
  28. Mar 19, 2017

Dobbs Full Member

No it really wasn't, they were absolutely awful.
  29. Mar 19, 2017

ti vu Full Member

The question is which teams were hit as hard on fitness by the schedule as us. I think we're easily top this past week. Early kick off after EL Thursday game in away fixture...
  30. Mar 19, 2017

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Thread title is on point. Fatigue is being massively downplayed. Not just about the game today but the others that follow.
  31. Mar 19, 2017

Born2Lose Full Member

Probably the ones who've been involved in two games since middlesborough played their last one.
  32. Mar 19, 2017

Natener Full Member

What's their condition in FM %? Rojo is obviously 81%. Shaw is 95% lacking match fitness, he should be subbed in 25-30min for a few games. The first 11 today were all above 89%, Jose is clearly lying about fatigue...
  33. Mar 19, 2017

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

They might not be tired today but they might in a month. Players that have played the most were tired this game, besides Valencia who quite simply is superior to most footballers in the world when it comes to fitness.
  34. Mar 19, 2017

NinjaZombie Full Member

Don't forget Rooney.

:lol:
  35. Mar 19, 2017

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

We also at most times had a good choice of strikers who were scoring no matter which one played.
  36. Mar 19, 2017

shaky Full Member

I'm not saying fatigue isn't a factor. It will be. Just as it would be for any manager with our fixture list. I'm just surprised at the reaction by a lot of our fans purely because Jose chose to mention it a couple of times, as if it should be some forbidden thing to bring up.
  37. Mar 19, 2017

finneh Full Member

I think most feel that given we haven't rotated effectively earlier in the season it's difficult to now complain about fatigue.

We played Pogba, Herrera, Valencia & Ibra for the majoriry of minutes against Zorya twice, Feyenoord twice, a second leg against Hull when we're 2-0 up, Blackburn, Saint Etienne both games (even with a 3-0 first leg lead) etc. If they were rested in these type of games maybe Pogba doesn't get an injury, Valencia is fresher and Herrera might not make a lazy tackle and subsequently cost us a game and a suspension.

When you look at the rest of the squad it's difficult to complain too much about fatigue though. Rashford, Mata, Martial, Mkhitaryan, Carrick, Lingard and our defenders have all been rotated enough for them to be fresh.

Then you look at players who've who've featured far less than they could have in the aforementioned easier games. Shaw, Fosu-Mensah, Young, Schweinsteiger etc.

I do have some sympathy with Jose and the team though. He's a new manager coming in and he'll have players he trusts and players he doesn't, so I'm sure he'd argue sticking to a consistent team was the way to go.

I do think there's a balance that we've missed though.
  38. Mar 19, 2017

Dobbs Full Member

Can anyone explain why Rashford, Lingard, Carrick, Fellaini, Young and Mata should be tired today.

None of them have overplayed this season. None of them have played constantly for the last few years like Pogba, only Fellaini has international football.

These guys play 90 mins what every other week? How much less football do you want them to have?
  39. Mar 19, 2017

ti vu Full Member

He often did especially around CL fixture under similar wording: schedule

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/21391842

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/25/manchesterunited.chelsea

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...n-berates-Manchester-United-fixture-list.html

What leads to this?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  40. Mar 19, 2017

Dobbs Full Member

No I didn't ask whose played more games than the Middlesborough players. I want to know why players who've had a week or more off are tired.