Ducker: Manchester United manager's faith in youth puts Pep Guardiola in the shade

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by #07, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 5, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

2. Feb 5, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Waiting for the backlash and James duckers imminent resignation.
  3. Feb 5, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Won't be surprised if few ManUtd fans joins them.
  4. Feb 5, 2018

SER19 Full Member

:lol: or lead them. Seriously though i actually opened it wondering if it was a loaded title and the content would end up criticism. Not just because positive articles about mourinho are scarce but seeing anything negative about guardiola in the press is unbelievably difficult to find. I would say there has never been a case of such positive media inbalance, even more so than mourinhos first year at Chelsea
  5. Feb 5, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

How to make a relatively straight forward point last 11 paragraph's, serious people get paid to write this stuff?

I'm a Jose fan but I dont think we can really point to him playing Rashford and Lingard as him championing youth, it's more a case of we don't have unlimited funds to not have them be part of the squad/they're actually two of the better members of the squad he inherited. I'd still of liked to have seen TFM and Tuanzebe feature more than they have before we get too carried away with Jose buying into playing youth
  6. Feb 5, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Article praising Mourinho and criticising Pep...adonbelieveit!
  7. Feb 5, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Does McTominay not count?
  8. Feb 5, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

This can't be possible, everyone knows Jose makes the Trunchbull look like the most caring of youth mentors. And Pep is a saint.
  9. Feb 5, 2018

cyberman Full Member

Why can't he point to those two players? In terms of development they're ahead of everyone else but they're also the most disposable with the options we have. Lingard was nowhere near an obvious choice for our first eleven.
    The fact is he has owes a huge amount to Jose and his management of Jesse.
    He or Rashford could have been discarded like Iheanacho was for City.
    Even reverting to a midfield 3 would limit Lingards gametime but Jose stands by him with the two man midfield.
  10. Feb 5, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Iheanacho wasn't a youth product of City.
  11. Feb 5, 2018

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Indeed. Stones was a buy as was a few others
  12. Feb 5, 2018

cyberman Full Member

I never said he was but he doesn't need to be to make a point. He was a promising young player who was discarded for an expensive signing.
    Martial and Shaw were in the same boat, the fact is Jose didn't sell these players to raise funds to sign replacements in a better phase of their career.
    He's managing the club as a whole while giving our players the chance to sink or swim on their own.
    The youth policy is just an obvious aspect to highlight but he's consistent with this in other areas as well.
  13. Feb 5, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

They are already writing to the Telegraph complaints department and the press complaints commision as we speak.
  14. Feb 5, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Don't agree. Rashfords career was 4 months old when Jose was appointed and he's played more games than anyone else in Jose's tenure.

Lingard... well just read his 16/17 performances thread and most of the footballing world viewed him as a championship player. At City, Lingard would be long gone. Mourinho persisted with him and now he's flourishing as a 2nd top goal scorer.
  15. Feb 5, 2018

SirAF Ageist

This.
  16. Feb 5, 2018

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Feb 5, 2018

Forgetting Pep/Mourinho for a moment, City trained players have only played a combined 7 minutes in the league this season after 25 games.
    That's a serious problem.
  18. Feb 5, 2018

WelshManc Full Member

Seems squawka don't know the difference between Joel and Andreas Pereira.
  19. Feb 5, 2018

RedRom "Where's Lingard?"

It is finally good to see some much deserved praise for José, and his commitment to youth at the club, and taking a more broader look at the club, and helping to nurture the youth players that are here.

It is great to see him doing so, and long may it continue!

The fact that he has nurtured Lingard, played Rashford, and given actual first team games to the likes of Tuzanbe, McTominay, and even Gomes, just shows his desire to look at the bigger picture, something that Pep simply doesn't know how to do, he is far too short termist.

If Pep had for example, dropped de Bruyne for say Foden for the Burnley match (I know the latter is currently injured, but say that he wasn't), think of the amount of positive headlines that he would have got for that decision, as that was the equivalent of what José did with Pogba and McTominay, yet he hasn't really got all that much praise for doing so.
  20. Feb 5, 2018

He'd be long gone because of the amount of money they spend, sorry but if you really think if Jose had the financial backing that Pep has but still would have stuck by Lingard then I disagree
  21. Feb 5, 2018

Sorry, but this is complete bullshit.
  22. Feb 5, 2018

SqualorVictoria New Member

Supports:
    City
    Since that Brahim has had two 15 minute cameos but obviously it's still an issue.
  23. Feb 5, 2018

There is literally nothing for you to base your opinion on here, so you are wrong, as José has had ample and plenty of backing financially in the transfer market whilst he has been in charge of us.
  24. Feb 5, 2018

Ohhhhh 15 extra minutes!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That sure invalidates this whole premise!
  25. Feb 5, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

edit. wrong thread woops
  26. Feb 5, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

I think they are two different things. There are key differences between a young player and a youth player for me. Rashford and certainly Lingard are no longer youth players. Mourinho has done very well to stick by Lingard and get him firing like the last couple of months and he also has made Rashford almost an ever present in at least some capacity which he didn't necessarily need to do. But he was still already a full International by then. So they are different than "faith in youth" in my opinion.

My problem with Mourinho has never been his use of young players but his ability to completely bring through a youth player with no previous senior experience or very minimal at most. I've been a bit disappointed to not see much of TFM and Axel but I do like that he has made them apart of the squad and now they are on much needed loans which I support. I don't like his method of not using the u23s for them though and completely disagree with the likes of TFM sitting around all season playing at no level and then expected to perform when getting their chance in the first team having not stepped foot on the pitch of a competitive match in months. He has shown a lot of faith in McTominay which deserves credit. Even though I don't rate McTominay, I'm glad to see Mourinho giving him that faith and playing time in meaningful games. So even not counting Rashford and Lingard, Mourinho has done a decent job of bringing in youth so far. What I'm really looking forward to see is what he'll do with TFM, Axel, and Andreas next season. So far though I can't complain too much.
  27. Feb 5, 2018

Player Red Full Member

It's over 400% of an uplift.
  28. Feb 5, 2018

I don't think you get the point.
    Before Mourinho came, the perception was that our young players and youth products were finished under him.
  29. Feb 5, 2018

Opinions cant be wrong, oh and on a side note please dont reply to me because if there was an ignore button on this forum you'd be on it
  30. Feb 5, 2018

Because?
  31. Feb 5, 2018

Oldyella Full Member

You are literally quoting him saying its still an issue :confused:

Any other club, you would say this is unsustainable long term, but City finances mean they can just keep spending without even attempting to bring through youth players. Personally prefer how we are going, big name signings yes, but youth players in and around the 1st team squad.
  32. Feb 5, 2018

To the detriment of the team but I do take your point
  33. Feb 5, 2018

So what is your opinion on him giving game time to Gomes? A good thing surely?
  34. Feb 5, 2018

Where is your evidence? We've spent a good amount and even now Mourinho has reiterated he is more than happy with his options. Is it hard to believe that Mourinho has always felt Lingard is actually a very talented player?
  35. Feb 5, 2018

pascell Full Member

Ideal situation would be that we've got 2nd place sorted with a few games to spare, then we can give a few games to Gomes, Chong, Gribbin etc
  36. Feb 5, 2018

Ignore?? Bit harsh, not quite sure what I have said to warrant such a response like that!
  37. Feb 5, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Tbf, Van Gaal spent nearly 300 Million, Jose spend nearly as much and Lingard is still at ManUtd. He is rated by coaches, even if he is not considered as a star or starting level player, he would still be a squad player who won't moan.
  38. Feb 5, 2018

Smores Full Member

He deserves the praise so glad to see he's got it. This is the way i want our club to bring through youth, managed and slow rather than LvGs scattergun "we'v got no other players so you're starting" approach.

Will be interesting to see how he handles Periera and TFM next season. Most of us have the contradictory position of wanting to sign new players for those positions whilst still giving them chances. Will be difficult to do both.
  39. Feb 5, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    You do know that these players have to take that huge step themselves? I would love a team full of talented players brought from through our academy but they still have to perform whilst they are on the fringes and in the meantime Jose has to make sure we win.
  40. Feb 5, 2018

I didn't make a factual statement just my opinion so I dont really need evidence, so again it's my opinion that if Jose was given unlimited funds (like say Pep seemingly has to spend 60m to cover for an injured player for 6 weeks) then he'd of spent a lot more money and Lingard's role would be a lot more marginalised than it is