Eating your words: which position did you hold at the start of the season that has changed?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by GM K, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Apr 21, 2017

GM K Full Member

It was interesting observing some debates at the beginning of the season. A few common ones had to do with: Jose's suitability as United's manager; Rashford's suitability as a number nine over Zlatan; whether or not Pogba was worth the money; whether or not Rojo should be sold; United's best formation; our best center back pairings; our best left back; Fellaini; Smalling; Martial as a centre forward or winger; etc.

Is there any position you held on to strongly at the start or early weeks of the season that has gradually changed since then?

Mine has to do with Rashford and our centre backs. I argued that despite his performances last season, I didn't see him as a natural centre forward. I have had to eat my words. The boy is deadly running through the middle. The good thing is, he is also deadly running from wide. Real talent United has there.

I also thought we had only one good ball playing center back: Bailly. I was wrong. Rojo is a very decent ball playing center back.
  2. Apr 21, 2017

prath92 Full Member

i held the opinion that herrera was overrated and that he is an average player as he was very poor last year. But he has put in some very good performances this year.

I also thought that Rashford could possibly struggle to be good and may end up like frazier campbell (in the sense he would end up in a midtable club soon) but thankfully looking like i was wrong
  3. Apr 21, 2017

roonster09 Full Member

I thought Rojo should be gone. Also at the start of last season I though Johnstone is better back up than Romero, my views on Romero was clouded by his errors playing for Argentina or some teams.
  4. Apr 21, 2017

Tiber Full Member

I thought rojo was dogshit
  5. Apr 21, 2017

Ixion Full Member

I liked Rojo but wasn't sure if he was good enough to be a fixture in our starting XI, he has earnt his spot though.

I thought Martial was going to be one of the best in the world but that remains to be seen now.
  6. Apr 21, 2017

The Black Pearl Hurling Man of the Land

I had written Fellaini off.

I've great time for him now though and have no worries at all if I see him on the starting XI or coming off the bench. In fact I enjoy watching him operate when he's playing now. The way he sticks in and fights for everything is 100% the type of player that is needed. Add to that, that he is a real threat to the opposition when it comes to creating havoc in the final 3rd of the pitch and I think we should consider ourselves lucky to have him. Mourinho hasn't a notion of letting him go.
  7. Apr 21, 2017

settembrini Full Member

I thought that to get the best out of Pogba we would have to play him in a midfield three and give him tons of attacking freedom. I basically completely overrated his shooting based on years old memories of him in our reserves and watching highlights of him playing for Juventus and France. I thought he would score tons for us as an attacking midfielder and would be wasted in a deeper role. If anything it's the reverse, his shooting has been extremely poor and his passing, especially his long passing, has been fantastic.
  8. Apr 21, 2017

Pavl3n Full Member

Those were my thoughts too. I was getting on the edge when Rojo was defending. Not at all now.
    Martial - a lot of people would've thought he would be ripping the left wing. Nowhere near. The commitment that I saw last night - I was really disappointed.
    Now I have a better understanding of what Mourinho needs. Just look at the most recent performances of Rashford, Herrera, Valencia, Rojo.
  9. Apr 21, 2017

pauldyson1uk Full Member

Zlatan , thought he was past it and would not hack the PL, proved me wrong, but would have liked him to convert more of his easy chances in to goal.

At the start of the season I said I did not think Jose was the man for us, that has not changed to be honest, yes he is doing well enough, waiting to see what season 2 brings.
  10. Apr 21, 2017

Kazi Full Member

Yeah, I didn't know Rojo had heart. Guy comes to play.
  11. Apr 21, 2017

groovyalbert Full Member

Agree with other posters re Rojo and Fellaini, Young could be thrown into there as well to an extent.

Goes both ways though, I thought we'd have had top four down at the very least by now.
  12. Apr 21, 2017

thegregster Harbinger of new information

Romero is a really decent backup. Didnt think he was up to it.
  13. Apr 21, 2017

InfiniteBoredom CAF Political Statistician

Valencia.

I've never been convinced about his defensive nous, but he's acquitted himself excellently this season.
  14. Apr 21, 2017

Tarrou Full Member

Rojo, I thought he was braindead and useless. I still think he's braindead, but he's definitely not useless.
  15. Apr 21, 2017

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    Smalling is our best CB. I think he's regressed this season.
  16. Apr 21, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

I agree. He can be frustrating, but you can't fault his bottle. He goes to war when he's on the pitch, not afraid of getting hurt or clattered in to, and he is a real threat.

I generally think his technique is vastly underrated. His touch is excellent, and he makes some very good forward passes through the lines that seem to go unnoticed.

For me, it's Smalling. I've liked him a lot since we signed him. Even in those iffy appearances at right back, I thought there was something very good about him, and the occasions he got a shot at CB, he really shone. When Rio and Vidic left, I was certain he was the future. He was good throughout LvG's time here - when fit - and I was one of those who held him as one of the best in the league over the last 2 years. I don't really want us to get shot of him, as I do still rate him, but not as highly I did, and I'd have Bailly and Rojo starting over him every time. If Mourinho binned Smalling, I wouldn't be too bothered.
  17. Apr 21, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

I thought Fellaini was definitely a goner once Jose arrived.. But he seems to have found his way.. I am still not convinced that he could be consistently good.
    I thought Martial had the left side nailed on. But it seems he hasn't.
    I never expected Jones to play a string of games. He did manage a few anyways.

For this season, at least most of my other expectations (or hopes) went well. I am happy for all positive hopes and feel bad about all negative expectations.
  18. Apr 21, 2017

wythyred Full Member

Thought Rojo was terrible and wanted him sold.

Wow has he proved me wrong..
  19. Apr 21, 2017

SaradM New Member

There are several players who have contradicted my assessment this season.

I thought Pogba will continue his fantastic form from the Old Lady. Thought Rooney will get more chances as a no 9. Expected Martial to make this season his own and play to his potential.

Also Rojo and Fellaini don't have the Utd mentality. Needed to go. How wrong have I been on all of them, ehh?
  20. Apr 21, 2017

GifLord The gif that keeps on giffing

I remember at the begining of the season when we were wasting our chances in front of goal and some were saying that Mourinho was gonna fix that in the coming months. Half a year later still the same story :houllier::lol:

edit: oh u ment changed

my bad
  21. Apr 21, 2017

Akshay Full Member

Things I got wrong:
    • Smalling and Bailly would be our best CB partnership. I now think Rojo's better.
    • Luke Shaw would have a really strong season and be our nailed on starting left back.
    • Lingard would only be a squad player to come in when we have injuries / need to rest players. Very happy to see him really competing for a starting spot. Equally I thought Martial-Mkhi-Mata would be unstoppable but it hasn't turned out that way.
    • Mata would slowly be sidelined and eased out of the team. Very happy with how Mourinho and him have adapted to one another.
    • Rashford would get little to no time playing as our striker as Mourinho would prefer Zlatan every time (which was true for the beginning part of the season but is now proving otherwise). I also didn't think Rashford would develop his ability to hold up the ball the way he has.
    • We'd compete for the title (but probably not win any trophies).
  22. Apr 21, 2017

bucky Full Member

Thought Schneiderlin would be a good player for Mourinho.
  23. Apr 21, 2017

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Co-sign on all of these.
  24. Apr 21, 2017

dannofdawn New Member

Fellaini I still think don't offer enough to start, but as long as he is only used as impact sub, or for one-off tactical plans like the Chealsea game, I'm totally fine. I didn't think that way at the start of the season, I wanted him gone.

Rojo contrary to the popular opinion, I thought he was good enough ever since he was here. I mean if Smalling, Jones and Blind were our alternatives, I don't see Rojo worst than any of them by much. In fact with how often Jones miss games, I rated Rojo higher just for that -even though he himself gets injured every season as well. But I'm glad he proved himself to be even better than the 3.

Rashford I thought was a very limited striker, that he was going to be more like Chicharito than a complete forward that we need. After recent games, I think it is safe to say that I'm wrong. Good strength, excellent pace, excellent mentality and endurance, and he's getting better at passing and crossing as well. Even pulled a rabona yesterday, if he got more techniques under his belt, he'll be more complete than most of our players, only Pogba might be better at "having it all". I also haven't seen a player fight for the team as much as he has for a few years now.

I also thought we would have one of the best attacks in the league after seeing the acquisition of Mhki, Ibra, and Pogba, with Martial, Rashford, Mata, Valenica and Shaw already in the team. Turns out we have really talented attacking players, but none could score when it matters. Of all the things that killed our run for the title, I never would have thought it was goals that killed it.
  25. Apr 21, 2017

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

This.

I also thought that Herrera was a bit overrated. Glad to be proven wrong.
  26. Apr 21, 2017

el3mel Full Member

Definitely Rojo. Was calling for his head at the start of the season and seeing him in the starting XI gave me a shock. Now I can't imagine us without him at the back.
  27. Apr 21, 2017

Adisa Full Member

Was convinced we'd finish second.
  28. Apr 21, 2017

JB08 Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

I was pretty sure we'd finish in the top 4 (I had us 3rd), but was wrong there. I also thought Romero was a bit shit.
  29. Apr 21, 2017

Reaferia Full Member

Supports:
    Creative Teams
    Mourinho would bring us back to top 4 easily. / Guess not, but we still have chance in a hard way, like always.

De Gea would have another great goalkeeping season. / Nah, he's not doing his job this season:psell him.

Bailly
    would be our best CB. / Nope, he's inconsistent and Rojo takes the throne. Second best CB.

Rojo is just a good defender. / Wow. So good at defending & our most important CB, defense disorganized Rojo-less.

Blind would be our regular LCB. / Well, he played well as CB the first few matches of the season so..

Mata & Lingard would play few games. Squad player. / Wow, both of them work hard and play regularly as rewards.

Martial would be EPL player of the season contender. / Nope, he's struggling.

Schneiderlin would be key player. / Went to Everton.

Ander Herrera just rotational player. / Became key player for us. Wow. He's that good.

Pogba would score 15 goals from long distance shooting range. / I blame Youtube.

Zlatan is a very superb complete striker with great finishing. / Shockingly, he missed a lot of easy chances.
  30. Apr 21, 2017

rpg New Member

I thought Martial is the next Thierry Henry and worried Mourinho wouldnt give him chances although i really welcomed Mourinho. This season i felt he have had enough chances and now i couldnt care less he gets sold or loan over the summer. But if next season he stay and turn good, then i have to eat and re-eat the words again.
  31. Apr 21, 2017

dellboyy Full Member

Mainly Jones, Rojo and Fellaini. I thought Rojo was as good as gone, or resigned to our reserves, and Jones would never be fit enough again to show the form to get in our first side. Fellaini was a tricky one, i thought he'd be around, but i didn't think he'd feature as much as he has, or that Jose would get the best from him as he has.
  32. Apr 21, 2017

Murray3007 Full Member

i would have got rid of Valencia last summer but for me hes been the best RB in the league, would have brought in another CB as well and would have got rid of Rojo as well, said Pogba would need pace around him to bring the best out of him and would take 18-24 months before we see the best of him.
  33. Apr 21, 2017

2 Man Midfield Modern Woman (Dumper!)

Rojo needed to go and Valencia wasn't really a right back and needed replacing. Both have made me look a right tit, Valencia especially.
  34. Apr 21, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

Start of the season, I thought we'd get a midfielder to complement Pogba. I thought we'd be top 3.
  35. Apr 21, 2017

nokillingmoths Full Member

Herrera. Was unconvinced of him as a starter for a top club. A bit more convinced now.
  36. Apr 21, 2017

Reaferia Full Member

Supports:
    Creative Teams
    Spot on.

:DThe hype was real, in theory, the recruitment of Zlatan, Pogba and Mkhi, combining with the current squad would bring an endless input of goals... how wrong were we. Tbf, the attacks are exciting but the finishing...

Another opinion of mine.
    Our Squad would be the highest goals scored in EPL. / Nope, struggling to finish chances & score. Draw Master United.
  37. Apr 21, 2017

jojojo Moderator

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    I thought Rojo and Fellaini were liabilities. I don't now.

Places where I misjudged Mourinho. I thought he would persist with Rooney for longer. I thought he would have less patience with Rashford during that dry run. I thought he would go for Schneiderlin over Herrera.

I didn't expect us to have such a hard time scoring at home or to draw so many games.
  38. Apr 21, 2017

devil in me Full Member

Thought Valencia was an absolute liability. Completely turned me around to now I think he is the best RB in the league, at least top 3.
  39. Apr 21, 2017

OL29 Full Member

Thought Martial would kick on from last season and cement himself as one of the best players in the league
  40. Apr 21, 2017

prtk0811 Full Member

• Fellani would be the first player out of the door, sold by mourinho.
    • Memphis will shine under mourinho
    • Mourinho would buy kante and mane
    • Tim fosu mensah would become one of mourinho's favourites
    • With Schweinsteiger's exp , He would be a key exp player to share game time with carrick