Eating your words: which position did you hold at the start of the season that has changed?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by GM K, Apr 21, 2017 at 08:55.

1. Apr 21, 2017 at 10:45

don't sign old players Full Member

Well if you must have it, I was one of the few that valued Fellaini input.
    I felt I was the only one that didn't want Rojo sold.
    I wanted Kante & Mane.
    I felt that Rashford is a star from day one.
    I thought we'd finish about 5th.
    I have to admit I didn't think Jose was suitable.
    Obviously I thought Martial would be better, but there's still games left to play.
    I thought Blind might be a good option for CB. He might get his chance yet!
    I voted for Zlatan and was vindicated. I voted for Pogba transfer and he's getting there.
    I didn't have a clue about Bailly either way.
  2. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:01

Safa Boy New Member

I thought Jose would be able to get something special out of Rooney again, seeing as he wanted to sign him a few years back. He's given Rooney every chance, but he's just way past it or so it seems.

I also thought Schneiderlin would do well under Jose. :rolleyes:
  3. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:09

ManUchosenbosslvg Banned

Supports:
    Manchester reds
    It's pretty much gone as I expected although the disappointing home form was unexpected.

Rojo had been the only positive surprise for me really, I thought he was finished here.
  4. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:10

flappyjay Full Member

It's like fans in this club wipe their memories at the end of every season. The best I saw of Rojo was when he played with Smalling at centerback in his first season he was really good some in here even compared him to Vidic. He hurt his shoulder and was replaced by Phil for the rest of the season. Fast forward a season later lvg got obsessed with blind at cb and played Rojo at lb where everyone developed this idea that he was a horrible player.

As for eating my words it has to be Fellaini I wanted him gone last summer but he has proven that when used right he can be an asset for the squad. Also for someone who gets so much abuse from the fans he has remained passionate whenever he is wearing Manchester Red
  5. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:10

Successful Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)

I thought we'd be winning the league or at least keep Liverpool behind us. Not even close.
  6. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:21

Scarecrow Full Member

Not really at the start of the season but I was very skeptical to Mourinho before his appointment. After he was hired, I didn't really think about it anymore and got behind him. I've grown to like him. Maybe it's my rose-tinted glasses, maybe I just didn't know him that well before. Probably both.

Before the start of the season I thought:
    - Martial would be even better than last year and prove to be a bigger talent than Pogba.
    - Rojo can't possibly win a starting place for United. He's become one of my favorite players since.
    - I thought Schneiderlin will make it here, at least as a good squad player.
    - I was skeptical of Zlatan's signing. I didn't doubt his ability but I was worried about Rashford's place.
    - I thought Shaw will get back to top form after the summer.
  7. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:22

lewwoo Full Member

I really thought we would comfortably get top 4 this season and thought I was being consevative in that estimate.
  8. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:24

ManUchosenbosslvg Banned

Supports:
    Manchester reds
    I remember a few absolute whoppers made predictions about us scoring over 100 league goals this season:lol:, we're not even half way with 7 games left. I must try dig it to out to name and shame.
  9. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:38

TMDaines Full Member

I thought Mourinho would get Rooney back to his best. It's hard to see him getting much game time again for United, even with the current injuries.
  10. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:44

stevoc Full Member

I thought Rojo was done didn't rate him at all. But pleasantly surprised by his performances this year.
  11. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:47

ManUchosenbosslvg Banned

Supports:
    Manchester reds
    July 6, 2016
    The red pantherFull Member
    League only

Ibra 24
    Martial 17
    Mkhitaryan 15
    Rashford 10
    Pogba 8
    Rooney 8
    Herrera 5
    Lingard 5
    Fosu-Mensah 4
    Shaw 2
    Smalling 3
    Bailly 2
    Depay 1
    Schneiderlin 1
    Carrick 1
    Blind 1
    CBJ 1
    Valencia 1

Just to point out that 106 league goals would have been a new record
  12. Apr 21, 2017 at 11:49

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

I thought Rojo, Fellaini, Mata and Lingard weren't good enough. They've all proved themselves as valuable players.
  13. Apr 21, 2017 at 12:10

Miscemayl Full Member

I thought Martial and Mhiki would be like having Giggs and Ronaldo (not peak versions but still very good versions) and we'll be great attack wise. Mhiki's been ok but struggling to think if any of our other midfielders contributed less than Martial (apart from the two sold).

I thought Rashford wasn't going to play sitting behind Zlatan and Rooney. Would never have guessed Mourinho managed to drop Captain "Always Play" so quickly.

I thought Shaw would own the LB spot. Hopefully he'll own it before the end of the season.

I thought we would challenge for the title but Pep will beat us to it. Neither of us challenged for it.

Top 4 was a certainty. Nope!

Pogba would easily be our best player (like how Ronaldo used to be). Turns out SAF was right, he's great in moments (perfect for YouTube) but then would brain fart and get caught in possession (in dangerous areas) when there were plenty of options to pass.
  14. Apr 21, 2017 at 12:11

Jaxdan Full Member

Like most, it was my opinion of Rojo. I thought he sucked. He's proven to be one of our most improved and valuable players. To a slightly lesser extent Fellaini. Felt the same about him, but he has really turned it up and though he still looks at times like an awkward giraffe, his heart, desire, and talent level are much higher than I gave him credit for.
  15. Apr 21, 2017 at 12:24

ManUchosenbosslvg Banned

Supports:
    Manchester reds
    The Big Switch to Fellaini is one of the most electrifying tactics in European football, he floats from flank to flank terrifying their fullbacks
  16. Apr 21, 2017 at 13:25

Escape Goat New Member

Supports:
    Forest
    Zlatan. I was a big fan and thought he was exactly what the club needed, on and off the pitch.

However now the dressing room are growing as men, and Rashford is growing as a striker, I think Zlatan's work is done and it's time to move on.
  17. Apr 21, 2017 at 13:26

Denis79 Full Member

I wanted Blind and Fellaini out, I'm impressed by Fellaini lately and think he could be a very useful player for us.
  18. Apr 21, 2017 at 13:47

Šjor Bepo Full Member

thought we would be battling for the title, saying that i think Jose is doing a very good job.....and yeah, thought both Rojo and Romero are crap so credit to Mourinho for making players out of them.
  19. Apr 21, 2017 at 13:53

fellaini's barber Full Member

Thought Rashford was average and Romero was absolute shite
  20. Apr 21, 2017 at 13:54

Havak Pokemon master

Rojo and Darmian weren't good enough. More-so the former, but now I wouldn't be surprised if both stayed.
  21. Apr 21, 2017 at 14:02

Bepi Full Member

Supports:
    Juventus
    I subscribed this forum last Sep in order to live the PL race from within this highly regarded and welcoming forum at international level, have a look at how Jose + Zlatan + Pogs could co-exist and follow the Italian managers and players now working in the UK. Seven months later, I have to say that the PL race has been quite one-sided, actually, United is way behind the place I was expecting you to be and the Italians did an entertaining job with a few very good ups and a lot of downs. All in all, value for time and hoping next year will be even better.
  22. Apr 21, 2017 at 14:04

Sigma Full Member

I thought we'd win the league :nervous:
  23. Apr 21, 2017 at 14:05

top1whoisman Meet the press(conference)

Although I considered Romero a solid debuty, he's surprised me to the extent that I'd be fine with him replacing DDG if David goes. Rojo is another one. He's still shite as a LB, but as a centre half he along with Bailly is our best CB. Humble pie for me.
  24. Apr 21, 2017 at 14:08

Jaxdan Full Member

Kind of like Serie A is every year? Don't get me wrong, Juve is a great club and I respect them very much, but it's not like they have to grind through a tough league season. Just hand them the trophy in September and be done with it. :cool:
  25. Apr 21, 2017 at 14:17

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

I thought we would challenge for the league. Fair to say we didn't.

Also thought Rojo was useless. Which he isn't. And that David Luiz was going to be terrible, which he hasn't been.
  26. Apr 21, 2017 at 14:25

Arbitrium Full Member

To be honest I really didn't have any opinions because it's a new manager with new methods and he was likely to get the best out of some players that were previously underperforming and vice versa.

My opinions on next season however;

1. Fully expect Pogba to win PFA player of the year. Last night I saw the signs of the player we bought and his ceiling is so high that with a full season under his belt, he really should be pushing on.

2. Martial will be gone in January if not before. He just isn't a Jose player, doesn't offer enough in behind and is probably the most predictable player in the squad. I think he has an enormous amount of potential but the whole package just isn't there.

3. Shaw will come good and nail down his place, so long as we don't sign competition for his place in the form of Mendy/alba.
  27. Apr 21, 2017 at 14:25

RedCurry Full Member

I thought Rojo is possibly the worst defender we have and thought Jones should be given another year. Now when I watch Rojo, he always reminds me of a left footed Ramos.
  28. Apr 21, 2017 at 15:42

kundalini Full Member

I thought Zlatan would be less effective than he has been, though I did not expect him to play as much as he has done.

I did not expect Martial's productivity to decline as much as it has.
  29. Apr 21, 2017 at 15:49

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

Memphis for being mentally lazy even when working with such stimulator like Jose. I'm still perplexed how could he missed that opportunity.

Little hoping for Fellaini proving me wrong after almost 4 years of bipolar performances... still a long way to go.
  30. Apr 21, 2017 at 15:54

RC89 Full Member

Wasn't sure we'd win title but certainly thought we'd be involved.

Thought our football would be more boring than it has been.

Thought Pogba would have been more influential than he has been. I'm not a Pogba hater btw. I actually am happier with him than a lot here on the Caf but had half his near misses gone in I imagine he'd be on par with my expectations for the season.

Never thought Rojo would be a mainstay but over the moon to see how good he's become. Thought Smalling would be our main CB

Despite his actual goal tally, thought Ibra would still have been more clinical.
  31. Apr 21, 2017 at 15:55

Ram1fy New Member

I was really scared that Pogba would win POTY although Martial played a bigger part in our title winning season. :lol:
  32. Apr 21, 2017 at 15:59

Lawman Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He was but he's doing very well now. Still don't know if he is good enough long term.
  33. Apr 21, 2017 at 16:35

GM K Full Member

I think Rojo is that good. The main problem is the tendency to be rash or throw in thoughtless tackles. But he seems to be drastically cutting down on those.

He is a good ball player, he is aggressive, he has improved his positioning and he attacks periodically. He could have scored two or three more this season but for close misses.

Safe to say that he, Herrera and Fellaini have been the most improved players of the season.
  34. Apr 21, 2017 at 16:39

goin4glory Full Member

Wanted Rojo sold but he's been a beast.
    Thought Schneiderlin would be perfect for Mourinho and Fellaini would be gone.
    Mata would be a bit part player.
    Expected really big things from Martial.
  35. Apr 21, 2017 at 16:44

Kag Full Member

Before Mourinho was appointed I thought he would be all over Schneiderlin, using him in the same way he's went and made use of Herrera instead. He never even got a kick, in the end.

I thought a lot of our players - notably Shaw, Smalling and Martial - would really kick on and be important fixtures in the first team. Although I wouldn't really say that's wrong, as they're still more than capable of being fantastic players here going forward.

I also thought we'd score plenty of goals under Mourinho. The less said about that particular statistic the better.

Rojo is a funny one, mind. Everybody is owning up to thinking he's shite but if you can ever remember watching him at centre half under Van Gaal (alongside Smalling, actually) then you'd recall that he was consistently good there up until mangling his shoulder and missing, more or less, the rest of the season.
  36. Apr 21, 2017 at 19:34

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I really expected Smalling to really kick on and become the best CB in the league under someone who is so defensively savvy like Mourinho. Whilst we really have been great defensively as a whole, injuries and mediocre performances have really dented Smalling's progression in particular.

Beyond that... I guess I'm a little surprised in how he has used Rashford so much. I expected him to use him respectably, but not as much faith in him like this. Conversely I expected Martial and Shaw to be the exception to his normal style of being quite youth-averse, and that's not really happened.
  37. Apr 21, 2017 at 19:48

Robbie Boy Full Member

I thought Lingard and Rojo were poison.
  38. Apr 21, 2017 at 19:55

Oaencha Full Member

Rojo, Valencia and Fellaini have performed much better than I expected.

Martial, Pogba, DDG have performed much worse than I expected.

I thought Rooney would be shoehorned into each starting XI.

I didn't expect us to win a trophy.

I didn't expect such a long undefeated streak.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 20:46
  39. Apr 21, 2017 at 20:20

ghagua Full Member

I thought we would win the league title.
  40. Apr 21, 2017 at 20:46

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    What I thought going in has been reinforced

Zlatan not right for us.
    Jose is defensive
    Kids would struggle and not play up to last seasons form

What has changed

Rojo is better than I thought
    Mata and Fellaini are still here
    Thought we'd at least manage a title challenge but Spurs and Arsenal would be the leaders
    Didn't expect Chelsea to do this.