Effective Playing Time

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Rossa, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Sep 10, 2018

Grande Full Member

It is certainly worth considering. I’d say 9 out of ten league matches it’s bearable how it is, and 7 out of 10 cup matches maybe. What nags me is two things: 1) The 10 or 30% other cases makes me so disgusted with both the referees allowing it and the players doing it, it can’t be good for the game with that kind of disillusionment. 2) I fear it’s a growing trend, it will be if referees can’t manage it better collectively. If it gets worse, something needs to be done.

I saw the Bulgaria game and it made me have very bad thoughts both about Bulgarian men and Polish law enforcement.
  2. Sep 10, 2018

Rossa Full Member

No, considering that a 3-4 min add on is normal, you would then expect that extra time added, so 7-8 minutes perhaps
  3. Sep 10, 2018

Hansa Full Member

I barely watch any football anymore, apart from United. Up until a few years ago, the weekly average was probably around 10-15 matches per week. I've come to the conclusion that I no longer wish to waste 30-45 minutes of games watching "injured" players receiving treatment, the diving and playacting, arguments between players/refs, the constant sabotaging when trying to restart the game quickly (or taking forever to restart the game), the never ending substitutions with that half-arsed "running" by the player from the far side of the pitch, and so on.

Of course, as you say, not every game is like this, but I have developed a zero tolerance policy for this kind of behaviour. As long as players get away with it, and football remain as popular as it is today, it's never going to change.
  4. Sep 10, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

And this whole "playing with the feet" thing is kind of stupid too. They should be able to throw the ball. And get rid of the goal. That's stupid too. Just crossing the line with the ball should be good enough. And in football, scoring is too low, so in our new game we will say that every goal is worth 6 points, but you also get a bonus point if you kick one in after you run in across the line...Hey...I think we are onto something here...
  5. Sep 10, 2018

el3mel Full Member

I want the cheerleaders only, forget the rest. :D
  6. Sep 10, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I've said for years a match should only last an hour. Stop the clock when the ball goes out of play, but still punish players for slowing down play.
  7. Sep 10, 2018

Grande Full Member

You should probably go watch cheerleading instead, cheaper tickets, smaller crowds, easier parking, save you a lot of hassle and wasted time watching half naked men running after a bladder.
  8. Sep 10, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Why separate them when we can combine both ? :D
  9. Sep 10, 2018

SqualorVictoria New Member

Supports:
    City
    Yeah, 60 mins even going by the historical data sounds just about right. It ain't going badly in any ball playing sport so why football shouldn't follow suit?
  10. Sep 11, 2018

Vidyoyo Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert

I would say no as I feel the system advantages the team who score first prompting teams to attack from the off. In reality though I figure 30 minute matches would be more beneficial as it'd mean more time actually watching the match.

However, I wonder if it'd slow the pace down. Are games also being slowed down artificially because teams want a bit of a breather?
  11. Sep 11, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Time wasting is the most rampant form of cheating in the game
  12. Sep 11, 2018

NikkiCFC Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Agreed. 2x30(with stopping time) is most important rule for the future of football. It's ridiculous that now average game is effective 55min of 90 an then referee add 3 or 4 or 5 minutes?!