Email from Man Utd

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by baladona10, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Sep 16, 2013

baladona10 Full Member

I sent Ed Woodward an email on Transfer Deadline day saying how disappointed I was at the lack of transfer activity this summer, along with the constant public admission by Moyes that we had made bids for this player and that (something we have never done before) and the bids being derisory as some have said.

Well I got this reply today....

Thank you for your recent email to Ed Woodward, who has asked me to reply. There has been considerable comment on the Club's activity during the summer but most of it has been ill-informed.

The Club had two main priorities for the transfer window. The first was to keep Wayne Rooney. He is a world class player and the Manager is very keen to have Wayne as a key part of the Club's drive to retain the Premier League trophy. That aim was fulfilled.

The second priority was to add a midfield player, and the capture of Fellaini has met that need. Add to that the fact that Wilfried Zaha is a new signing and that the Manager has added the highly-rated young player Adnan Janazaj to the squad and the team does in fact have a different feel to it than the one that finished last season.

The Club has invested over £40m acquiring new players this summer, as well as re-signing Nani on a long term deal - more than it has traditionally spent on transfers. Additional resources were there to add to that but it was not possible to agree with other clubs for the right players to leave. The key point there is that the players we buy have to be the right ones for Manchester United; not just any player.

The Club has always backed the Manager in the transfer market, as Sir Alex has said on many occasions and it will continue to do so. The Club has demonstrated its belief in, and commitment to, David Moyes through the award of a six year contract. Allowing him to shape the future Manchester United team is a long term project not an eight week panic. He must be given time to assess his new squad and come to his own decisions on which players he feels will strengthen it.

It is worth pointing out that many of the players the Club was associated with during the window had never figured in David Moyes' plans and the name of Manchester United was being used by others to inflate players' values or raise the profile of their availability. Sadly in some cases, despite the fact that the Club informed the media of the inaccuracy of its reporting, they persisted in running those stories without any respect for the quality or truth of the output.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Yours sincerely,

Philip Townsend
    Director of Communications
  2. Sep 16, 2013

Saliph Banned

"PS: can you play in a midfield two?"
  3. Sep 16, 2013

Feed Me I'm hungry

I'm quite impressed they took the time to produce a response.

United are doing quite well to put a positive slant on their summer activity, but it was piss poor. Even if we did achieve our objective of adding a midfielder, that we left it until the last moment and then overpaid doesn't reflect well.

I hope that the club performs better in future windows based on the learning from this summer.
  4. Sep 16, 2013

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

Excellent reply in my opinion.
  5. Sep 16, 2013

Sixpence Erroneously Promoted

I'm sorry but the last day was sheer panic and he knows it, is he really going to deny that bids weren't made for Herrera, Khedira, Coentrao and Baines? That last day sure seemed like "any old player" to me.
  6. Sep 16, 2013

Feed Me I'm hungry

It is - that's the advantage of having good PR people (take note Liverpool); you can always paint a pretty picture after an unseemly event. There's a lot of sense in the response, but we ought not kid ourselves, it was an atrocious window.
  7. Sep 16, 2013

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

It was an atrocious window but good on the club to reply to the fan.

Liked this line.
  8. Sep 16, 2013

Mickeza still gets no respect

Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
    Agreed, although the £40m spent this summer line is a stretching the truth slightly, Zaha was signed in January.
  9. Sep 16, 2013

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

In the next transfer windows just send message to Mr Philip Townsend to know what actually is going on.

From what he says, we can no longer put slightest trust in any media whatsoever.
  10. Sep 16, 2013

Feed Me I'm hungry

I don't know whether we can trust the club either - don't forget that United spread misinformation about Chelsea offering us Mata/Luiz + cash for Rooney. Sometimes the media lie, sometimes they unintentionally report lies from self-serving players/agents and sometimes they're being fed misinformation by clubs. All in all, it's impossible to know the truth until the player is being unveiled.
  11. Sep 16, 2013

They didn't.
  12. Sep 16, 2013

akash02 Full Member

fecking cnuts
  13. Sep 16, 2013

Raoul Administrator

Good answer from the club, and hard to disagree with.
  14. Sep 16, 2013

Skywarden Full Member

Fair dues even though I'd be surprised if the conversation behind the scene was as calm and collected. It's quite clear that everyone involved was disappointed in missing out on targets.

Thanks for sharing.
  15. Sep 16, 2013

Feed Me I'm hungry

Where did that come from then?

From what I remember, Chelsea were insistent that the story was nonsense. Was it just more press fabrication?
  16. Sep 16, 2013

Media fabrication. United briefed a couple of newspapers days after that rumor that they had nothing to do with this news.
  17. Sep 16, 2013

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    I'm surprised you got answer to be honest, well done.
  18. Sep 16, 2013

Dirty Schwein Should Have Known Better

That doesn't explain why we let Fellaini's clause to run run out and why we bid for Contreao, which we definitely seem to have done.
  19. Sep 16, 2013

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Ask if Townsend can send you the flight records of Woodward this summer...
  20. Sep 16, 2013

Raoul Administrator

We were probably interested in numerous players who weren't mentioned in the media (even though Contreao was). It doesn't detract from the Townsend's response imo.
  21. Sep 16, 2013

summit 20" guns - 2" cannon

Have you got a copy of the email you sent?
  22. Sep 16, 2013

Feed Me I'm hungry

It's a cleverly worded response, because it makes quite general points. They could conceivably keep that on file and send through to most of the complaints about our transfer activity. Townsend's secretary is probably pressing send on all the emails.

Nonetheless, they still sat down and took the time to give a reasoned response. I just wish such thought had gone into the club's summer activity. It's as though we were rudderless for a period.
  23. Sep 16, 2013

The thing I don't understand is there was a reporter outside Carrington all day on transfer deadline day reporting on us going for Herrera and paying his clause, why didn't they just tell him it was total nonsense? Or tweet it was a lie? Twitter is a fantastic tool that allows the club to communicate directly with millions of fans instantly, they don't need to rely on the media to get the message out that something isn't true, they can just communicate it themselves. This email and the PR campaign since the window shut makes it seem they are quite annoyed about how we've been portrayed during this summer, a simple tweet would have stopped half the nonsense. The truth is I think the club are quite happy for us to be linked with the best players in the world, even if we have no intention of signing them, and that's fine, it's good PR, but they can't now whinge about how the summer is being perceived when you have the manager being asked a week before deadline day about bidding for Gareth Bale and saying "Manchester United always goes after the best players", you can't have it both ways, he could have stopped that rumour dead, but chose not to.
  24. Sep 16, 2013

Silva Sticky tip

Most email services don't let you send that much data.
  25. Sep 16, 2013

Phil Full Member

It really plays up to our usual "Man United way" rhetoric, and does it well.

Obviously doesn't really answer a shitload of questions but a good reply.
  26. Sep 16, 2013

pablotatt Full Member

Could have easily been penned by some of the more sensible caftards.
  27. Sep 16, 2013

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    Yeah no letter will change my mind as we did feck up this summer no doubt, but as you said at least they took the time to give a reasoned response even if it is cleverly worded and a bit general.
  28. Sep 16, 2013

Shark Full Member

Respectable reply to be honest. It makes highly valid points.
  29. Sep 16, 2013

Feed Me I'm hungry

I'm never going to put the boot in to the club for engaging with fans - it's long overdue.

As I say, I'm prepared to believe that this summer was just a temporary feck-up borne out of the change of manager/CEO. However, no amount of protestation from the club will change my mind on the fact that the summer was a shambles.
  30. Sep 16, 2013

Ramshock Full Member

Wonders if OP knows how to screen capture
  31. Sep 16, 2013

Nate Dogg Don't Make Me Angry

Still some questions unanswered...why we overpaid for Fellaini, the Fabregas debacle, the derisory bid for Baines/Fellaini and why we left our transfer business to virtually the last few minutes of the deadline.
  32. Sep 16, 2013

Ramshock Full Member

Rabble Rabble Rabble
  33. Sep 16, 2013

The Neviller Banned

Moyes has already explained that. We wanted Fellaini and Baines together. In the end Everton wouldn't budge on Baines so we split the deal and went for Fellaini himself, paying a fee the club were comfortable with. We tried to sign Coentrao as Baines was a no-go, and presumably Moyes thinks we're light at left back (Fabio seen as right back cover? Buttner being shite?).

So, yeah, the club have already explained those things
  34. Sep 16, 2013

The Neviller Banned

Manchester United have no responsibility to comment on media reports or gossip mongering about who they are or are not interested in signing. If Sky state something, and you take it at face value and believe it verbatim then I'm afraid that is your problem, no one else's. That is precisely why it makes sense to wait until the club confirm something is happening/has happened, rather than swallow up all the bollocks peddled by the media. Should they comment on every rumour in the media, or just Sky? What about the stuff on Twitter by "trusted journalists"? Where do you draw the line on what rumours you comment on and what rumours you don't?
  35. Sep 16, 2013

The Man Himself WOAT

Good response. Samething which I have been saying all along about our transfer activity. I will go apply for a job at club.
  36. Sep 16, 2013

I'm not saying comment on anything, I'm saying when the whole world is reporting that three lawyers are in the La Liga offices in Madrid paying Ander Herrera's release clause maybe the press officer could nip out the back at Carrington to the reporter who is anxiously waiting to report any tiny bit of information and tell him they aren't representing us despite what they claim, it's not particularly hard is it? They'd already done it earlier in the day with Ozil, within ten minutes of Sky saying we were after him they retracted it. And David Moyes was asked a specific question about Gareth Bale, and he played it up, not down, you can't then subsequently whinge about the media reporting false rumours and how the naughty media are refusing to report what the club is saying about these false rumours when the manager refuses to deny them when they're put directly to him on national television. We're linked with hundreds of players every summer, but we've never come across as incompetent as we did this summer. Now, whether we actually were incompetent is not the issue, the club were perceived as such and the communications department need to take the blame for that. Everything in that email makes sense, the clubs' PR offensive since the window shut has made sense, so why didn't they brief the press to say all this during the window? As for the twitter thing, that email states how annoyed the club are that despite briefing journalists repeatedly that we were not after a player, they repeatedly stated that we were, my point is why not cut out the middle man if they're refusing to cooperate and just tell the fans directly on twitter? Or if the club doesn't want it to be that official then get a presenter at MUTV to tweet it citing "sources", transfer information gets around pretty fast.
  37. Sep 16, 2013

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

Shit reply! Booo! It doesn't appease to us muppets who had to go through Woodward's total retarded handling of transfer affairs.
  38. Sep 16, 2013

Adam-Utd Full Member

This is your chance to strike up a list of the CAF's top 10 Muppet signings.

We now have an ear to Woodward, start your magic!
  39. Sep 16, 2013

The Neviller Banned

The club were criticised for being open with Fabregas, now you're being critical because they didn't respond to enough transfer rumours openly enough. They can't really win, can they? For every one like you who reckons we should immediately quash these rumours you'll have someone else saying we should shut the feck up and not announce that we're interested/not interested in a player. They're on to a loser no matter what they do.
  40. Sep 16, 2013

100 binary bot

You emailed Ed Woodward?:lol: