England squad (Games against Czech Republic and Montenegro) | Rashford and Shaw called up

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Sean_RedDevil, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Mar 13, 2019

arthurka Full Member

Smalling should focus on us and leave Englands NT for good.
    Southgate is wrong but can´t say it bothers me much.
  2. Mar 13, 2019

TMDaines Full Member

Maddison omission is baffling. He has been one of best creators in any of top 5 leagues this season. Currently one key pass shy of Depay who leads the way, and a few ahead of Messi who is fourth.
  3. Mar 13, 2019

FootyGirl88

The chap at Brighton
  4. Mar 13, 2019

0le Full Member

That midfield is atrocious.
  5. Mar 13, 2019

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Plays for Brighton, he always plays really well against United, annoyingly.
  6. Mar 13, 2019

deadrevelz New Member

No Phil Foden? Our midfield is terrible and he isn't getting many games for City, Southgate should have picked him.

Not surprised about Smalling, Southgate has his preferred style and I have no problem with it. Just wish Rashford had been rested so he can get some form back. He better not play both games.
  7. Mar 13, 2019

FootyGirl88

What has Barkley done to be included?
  8. Mar 13, 2019

SalfordRed18 Full Member

This. We need a bit more quality in the middle of the park I feel. That attack is :drool: though.
  9. Mar 13, 2019

Hoof The Ball Full Member

Central midfield is a glaring weakness for England in general. I like Fabian Delph at City, but he's not been playing, much less at CM at all for them, and he's there in the squad. Ward-Prowse seems a more deserving option. Or perhaps Lewis Cook. Or Hughes. All players who have played very well this season and are consistently playing for their clubs.

I don't understand the process of selection, sometimes.

"Oh, well, I picked X player when he used to play more, so, I'm obligated to pick him even though he's not playing."
  10. Mar 13, 2019

SalfordRed18 Full Member

Just realised Jordan Henderson has more caps for England than Michael Carrick.
  11. Mar 13, 2019

IrishRedDevil Full Member

Wan Bissaka, Ward-Prowse, Maddison, Coady, Winks and Smalling are all performing better than Trippier, Delph, Henderson, Dier, Loftus-Cheek and Keane
  12. Mar 13, 2019

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

The midfield just screams meh
  13. Mar 13, 2019

R.N7 Such tagline. Wow!

Supports:
    a wife, three kids and Eboue
    Yes.

Wow, we're having a chat about football.
  14. Mar 13, 2019

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

Let's not do that. To the EF!
  15. Mar 13, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

southgate is stupid cnut. how is smalling not good enough for that squad.
  16. Mar 13, 2019

Devil may care Full Member

The midfield is weak as most have said and Southgate uses his wingback's for attack so I'm not surprised he's not picked Wan-Bissaka. The odd thing with his Smalling issue is that a couple of the CB's he's picking in place of him are hardly great on the ball. Hopefully Rashford is pulled from the squad as I don't think he's been fully fit since the Liverpool game.
  17. Mar 13, 2019

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Let Smalling have a rest, we have problems with our CB's and only Lindelof and Smalling look anything like. At least he won't pick up an injury on international duty. It will also give Jesse time to get back to full fitness. Some of the choices in that squad beggar belief. Players who are either off form altogether or like Delph rarely play. If you are going to pick a City player then pick Foden for goodness sake.
  18. Mar 13, 2019

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

Goalkeepers
    Jack Butland, Tom Heaton, Jordan Pickford

Defenders
    Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Michael Keane, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, Luke Shaw, John Stones, James Tarkowski, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

Midfielders
    Ross Barkley, Dele Alli, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Declan Rice

Forwards
    Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Callum Wilson

When you look at that squad, id say all the players marked in red are having poor/mediocre seasons. Makes the omission of some players even more bizarre, seems like form no longer matters for England. It's a really bad squad imo.
  19. Mar 13, 2019

saivet Full Member

I do get his reasoning for not picking Smalling, but when guys like Tarkoski and Dunk are making the squad ahead of him it is baffling.

Midfielder looks poor as usual, but options like Maddison might be being saved for the u21 tournament in the summer same with Wan Bissaka I'd imagine.
  20. Mar 13, 2019

Scarecrow Having a week off

What do you mean saved? It's March.
  21. Mar 13, 2019

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

Clumsy may be the wrong word but essentially he's just not great at bringing the ball out from the back, his range of passing is limited.

But I agree with you, he's not as bad as many make out and when it comes to actual defending he's good and should be in the squad obviously.

The likes of Keane and Tarkowski have never put in a performance like Smallings in Paris last week that's for sure.
  22. Mar 13, 2019

saivet Full Member

As in just leave them with the U21s as this is the last international break before the tournament.
  23. Mar 13, 2019

Judas Open to offers

I hoped for better from Southgate, but I'm worrying he's already falling into the habits of the past managers a bit. Quite a few players on current form should have made the squad, but they haven't. Don't care about Smalling as I'm not surprised, he seems to have chosen to be stubborn about that one. But Maddison not getting in when players like Barkley and Dier have is laughable.
  24. Mar 14, 2019

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Goalkeepers
    No complaints....right decision for me that Gunn and Henderson are staying with the U21's.

Defenders
    CB options are okay.

But why again 3 RB's and 3 LB's in the squad :confused:.....to call-up Trippier with his injury problem is so unnecessary and Rose shouldn't be in the squad.

Midfielders
    That Maddison stays with U21's is okay because the European Championships will be very important.

To call-up Loftus-Cheek and not Ward-Prowse is a joke :houllier:

Four defensive midfielders is brilliant too :lol:

Strikers
    No complaints.
    Okay okay :)
  25. Mar 14, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Truthfully I've seen Smalling play slicker passes and go on better runs than I've ever seen Tarkowski and Keane do.
  26. Mar 14, 2019

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Was there really any need to call up Dele or Dier? Both have played just 1 game since coming back from injury and probably aren't match fit and in Dier's case especially, has shown nothing to be in the squad currently regardless.

Seems like they could have sat this one out.

Otherwise a few interesting players to watch in there.
  27. Mar 14, 2019

Rozay Master of Hindsight

Is Harry Winks injured or something? He should be one of the first names on the team sheet for England.
  28. Mar 14, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

He is injured. He has some chronic problem with his ankles that means he has to play through pain. He needs a break currently. It doesn't really bode well.
  29. Mar 14, 2019

Rozay Master of Hindsight

Fair enough. Shame as he’s England’s only 21st century central midfielder!
  30. Mar 14, 2019

Mystry Friendship is magic

Really surprised at no Ward-Prowse. Given up at this point of Southgate potentially picking Smalling even though he's better than most English centre backs.
  31. Mar 14, 2019

noodlehair "It's like..."

Better players than the likes of Trippier aren't going to get a look in now, based on a few world cup games. Cody, Ward-Prowse etc.

I still don't understand the issue with Smalling. It'd make sense if England had world class defenders or a team of world class technical players. They have nothing remotely close to either.

Still enough there for us to perform well if he doesn't revert back to playing Sterling or Rashford as a no 10 and dropping the other.
  32. Mar 14, 2019

billdrama New Member

I think there is sometimes a bit too much emphasis placed on players' current form for their club. Of course it's not completely irrelevant but Southgate's job isn't to pick an English 'Team of the month'. I think that you ideally want to have a reasonable degree in consistency in the squad selection rather than changing 8 or 9 players every time depending on who happens to have done the best in the few months in between, especially as there are so many variables and circumstances that can affect this.

The core of the squad were part of the group that reached the World Cup semi-final and won their Nations League group so it is not as if the national team is in bad shape; indeed, I think it's in the best place it's been in for a while.

It's true Delph hasn't played much for City recently but he played very well in England's last game against Croatia (Southgate said yesterday that he thought he was England's best player) so I can understand why he has been retained.
  33. Mar 14, 2019

KingMinger22 City >>> United. Moaning twat

That attack though.
  34. Mar 14, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Delph is a big character in the dressing room too, even at City he is. It’s not always about just what they do on the pitch.
  35. Mar 14, 2019

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

Slam
  36. Mar 14, 2019

Ban Full Member

Thought so.
  37. Mar 14, 2019

dbs235 Full Member

Playing out from the back is very important for England's game these days. Which is why Smalling isn't picked despite being a good defender and why Pickford remains number 1 despite making many errors. It's no surprise that England's upturn in fortune has coincided with this new style. Hopefully people understand this. That being said, would happily swap Smalling in for any of the defenders other than Stones and Maguire.
  38. Mar 14, 2019

Fridge chutney Full Member

I agree. Smalling has raised his game for big matches recently. Baffling how players who have less big match experience and are worse defenders than him get picked.
  39. Mar 14, 2019

Charles Miller New Member

.............the attack is very strong though.
  40. Mar 15, 2019

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Impressive that the match against Czech Republic is sold-out :)