1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

EPL Title race 2018/2019

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Yorkeontop, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Dec 16, 2018

Yorkeontop Full Member

Are 'Pool and City the best top 2 sides to contest the PL? I still expect City to shade it but Liverpool look far more convincing than I thought.
  2. Dec 16, 2018

Cal? CR7 fan

No. United and Chelsea 08 were better.

#depressingtocheeronstpep
  3. Dec 16, 2018

Yorkeontop Full Member

Were United and Chelsea as entertaining as these 2?
  4. Dec 16, 2018

Mb194dc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Let's see where Liverpool are in January. Thinking they might start picking up more injuries and drop off. City have De Bruyne coming back and Jesus back in the goals again.
  5. Dec 16, 2018

Yorkeontop Full Member

We are half way into the season dude, I'm convinced. You guys won the title and weren't near as good as these guys.
  6. Dec 16, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Liverpool will get 90 + points imo.

City could still win the league but it's not going to be by 10 points.

Liverpool have the consistancy now they've lacked for years.
  7. Dec 16, 2018

marktan Full Member

Can't really recall Chelsea's side that well aside from the team we played in the CL final, but our 07-08 side was better than either City or Pool. That team had 0 weakness.
  8. Dec 16, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

You've misspelt 'LOL'
  9. Dec 16, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    This. Honestly, it's hard to put Liverpool alongside 08 Chelsea/United or 18 City, just because those 3 teams were battle-hardened winners, while we're yet to win feck all.

If it were like this & we'd won recently, then yeah, there would be a case to be made. But this isn't a winners vs winners race.
  10. Dec 16, 2018

Cal? CR7 fan

Entertaining is a matter of preference...

United and Chelsea basically both conquered Europe.
  11. Dec 16, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Chelsea didn't "conquer" Europe until 2012, in a season where they finished 6th, and that European campaign was more of a smash and grab than a "conquer" (cf Bayern the following season)
  12. Dec 16, 2018

AgentP Full Member

It's obvious he means the Moscow final. Top 2 in EPL as well as top 2 in Europe.
  13. Dec 16, 2018

Supports:
    It wasn't obvious from that post.

But yeah strong argument for that season having 2 elite sides in the title race. I don't think City and Liverpool of this season are far off those sides though.
  14. Dec 16, 2018

Supports:
    I think it's premature to count Chelsea and Tottenham out. We will get more clarity after the Xmas season.
  15. Dec 16, 2018

Mick321 Banned

Nah. City and Liverpool have already outclassed Spurs away from home, they are good but not title good. Chelsea have absolutely no chance.
  16. Dec 16, 2018

Treble Full Member

Might be the first time two teams go above 90 pts.

Liverpool have been a bit lucky so far. Their energy levels are quite impressive though and defintely better than City's right now who have been unlucky with injuries too.

Problem for Liverpool is that their key players have played more and might be knackered come March/April whereas City have more depth and do not rely on 2-3 players. If you take VVD and Salah out of that Liverpool team, they would struggle to make the top 4. City can compete for the title without any of their key players (except maybe Ederson).
  17. Dec 16, 2018

Speedy30 Liverpool Fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We've been lucky with some things and unlucky with others. Like most attacking teams, we make a lot of our own luck by trying things and then trying something else if that doesn't work.
    We're locked in a battle against a team and a manager that have won this league at a canter. People talk about Liverpool's mentality but City under Pep haven't been tested with another team breathing down their necks yet either.
    I still think City win the league but it's going yo be closer than I thought at the start of the season. The match at the Etihad on Jan 3rd is going to be a huge test of both sides credentials.
  18. Dec 17, 2018

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    These two are not entertaining at all!
  19. Dec 17, 2018

Skills Snitch

This is what you call a real title race. Same fixture this time last year Mourinho gave up on it by setting up for a 0-0 to let City claw a lead.
  20. Dec 17, 2018

Loon Full Member

Klopp has certainly spent some dough, but if St. Pep of the Bottomless Pit were to let this one slip....?
  21. Dec 18, 2018

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
  22. Dec 18, 2018

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    [​IMG]

Original tweet.

If we're seeing the title race as just Liverpool vs City, City have had far more injuries and are still there abouts at the top. Will be interesting to see how Liverpool cope with more injuries, though I think they've picked up more in defence recently?
  23. Dec 18, 2018

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Bit confused by this article if I'm honest, though there are some good points as well. I get what he's trying to say but just not that sure he's accurate.

He says that this is the first title race in 5 years and goes through the past 5 seasons. He mentions the Leicester season and says they struck out in January but that now, the title race was almost identical (2 points ahead of Arsenal, 6 ahead of Man City and 9 ahead of Spurs). In fact, by the end of January, they hadn't really struck out either. At the end of the weekend of the 2nd Feb, they were 3 points ahead of Man City and 5 ahead of Arsenal and Spurs. Even 2/3 of the way into the season (Gameweek 26), Leicester were 2 ahead of Spurs and Arsenal.

Sure, by the end of the season, they pulled out but seems premature at a stage when 1 point separates the top 2 rather than....well 2, that he says this is the first race in a while.
  24. Dec 18, 2018

Mb194dc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Liverpool have had every big descison go for them this season, except one disallowed goal v Arsenal. They've also had home games after every single CL midweek game. Clearly the premier league want a title race this season :lol:.

I can see them dropping off though and injuries mounting up. Matip and Gomez out already, Klopps style requires a lot of energy and less rotation options will likely lead to more muscle / fatigue injuries in the next few months. City have De Bruyne coming back fresh and hopefully he will lead city to the title.
  25. Dec 18, 2018

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    I think the decisive thing is that it feels a proper race of two more or less even-matched teams, a fight on equal footing of two sides in great form. Leicester was more like the story of the hedgehog and the hare, made possible by super wonky seasons for the big 6 teams. A fantastic story, but not what you think of when you say title race, at least in my opinion.
  26. Dec 18, 2018

Treble Full Member

Two things have made it a real contest: (1) KDB being out for almost the entire first half of the season (he hasn't started a league game yet!) and (2) Liverpool getting most decisions in their favour including that Wolves goal against City which cost the latter 2 pts. Normally, City would be at least 5-6 pts ahead.

Right now though, Liverpool's energy levels are better which gives them a real chance. The question is whether they'll be able to sustain them untill the end. City are vulnerable on the left side now which might be a problem for the game against Liverpool as Salah is hitting form. Mendy didn't look impressive but their defensive record with him is outstanding.
  27. Dec 18, 2018

SER19 Full Member

United 98-99 in a neck and neck race v double winners arsenal. Both of those sides would put these 2 in 3rd and 4th. As others have mentioned Chelsea united in all of the years they were first v second.

Hype hype hype
  28. Dec 18, 2018

Andy_Cole Full Member

Can this OP be voted as the worst post of the year?
  29. Dec 24, 2018

Treble Full Member

If Spurs and City win the next 3 games, the top 3 will be within 3 pts with 17 games to go.

Come on Spurs.
  30. Dec 24, 2018

Klopper76 "Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We don't run around as much as we did last season. We're a far more balanced side which is shown in some of our performances this season. Our goal spread is more even as well, whereas we used to struggle if we weren't leading by HT.

I'm not sure about our squad depth tbh but if we win the next three games we'll be at least 7 points clear at the top. I'm starting to think we might be able to do it. I think the next three games (Newcastle (h), Arsenal (h) & City (a)) will be telling.
  31. Dec 24, 2018

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    How do you figure that? You're only 6 points clear of Spurs now and we might win our next 3 games also.
  32. Dec 24, 2018

TheScriptwriter New Member

I don't think he is worried about that.
  33. Dec 24, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don't think Spurs will win all three (Wolves being the one where you drop points), could be wrong though.
  34. Dec 24, 2018

Supports:
    Spurs
    We've more chance of doing so than Liverpool, by some margin.
  35. Dec 24, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think we'll beat Newcastle and Arsenal.

I'm predicting 7 points for both of us.
  36. Dec 24, 2018

Supports:
    Spurs
    Could be. But equally the gap between us could quite easily be just 1 point after the next 3 games- i.e. Spurs win all 3, whilst Liverpool draw against Arsenal and lose to City.
  37. Dec 24, 2018

ShadesOfTomato Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We'll tear Arsenal to absolute shreds at Anfield. Think I'm genuinely more concerned about a Newcastle snoozefest than that game.
  38. Dec 24, 2018

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Klopper, shouldn't your Fabinho signature be updated to read "...Red Star, Cardiff and Man Utd"? I would add Napoli and Wolves but those teams don't seem to belong to the same calibre. ;)
  39. Dec 25, 2018

Briman63 Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    No disrespect but you obviously don't watch Liverpool, especially this season, we haven't played high tempo pressing football this season, we are playing a more pragmatic and patient game and only attacking when we need to so we don't use as much energy, our game management has been excellent this season. as far as rotation is concerned, we have been rotating as much as if not more than most teams and we have enough squad depth to cover it. we've had 3 of our defenders missing the last 2 or 3 weeks and we've covered it and are still keeping clean sheets.
  40. Dec 25, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

Van Dijk might just be the difference. Even Alisson is getting away with his blunders because of VVD.

Liverpool haven't been playing well at all for quite a lot of the season but they've been getting results. Sadly that's how you win a league. They're also not anywhere near as gung-ho which might have amplified the feeling that they're not playing as well because they're being pragmatic instead.

City always struggle the year after they've won something. This is 'struggling' Pep style it seems. Just motivational and Pep trying to change things up perhaps? plus injuries to KdB and the likes. Just enough for Liverpool to win it? Who knows.

I thought Chelsea would be the dark horses but they're not good enough.