Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by davidmichael, Mar 28, 2017.

?

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

1. Yes

48.9%
  2. No

51.1%
  1. Jun 19, 2017

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

That makes no sense

We tried harder than we did?

And he isn't a DM??? Your definition must be different to mine
  2. Jun 19, 2017

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Because the United manager who initially wanted him was sacked and by the time his replacement officially got the job, who also wanted him, Kante had already agreed the Chelsea move. :)
  3. Jun 19, 2017

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

Ah, that's a shame. Wonder how much it would take to prise him now?? Would fit perfectly into our midfield IMO
  4. Jun 19, 2017

Chesterlestreet Man of the crowd

I actually remember thinking at times that he was a bit too flashy with his passing, going for through-balls all the time instead of keeping it simple, etc.

But, yes, you're right. Part of the reason people were skeptical about him was that he wasn't defensively sound enough to be what people (wrongly but understandably, I guess) were looking for, i.e. a Keane replacement.
  5. Jun 19, 2017

Random Task Full Member

Kante is very much a defensive mid, to me he is the very definition of the term. Pretty sure I read somewhere that he was Europe's top tackling mid for the last 2 seasons. Unable to confirm this at present as I'm at work.
  6. Jun 19, 2017

Varun Moderator

We tried as in we tried to get him but he chose Chelsea.

He isn't a DM as in he's at his best running like crazy and wrecking shit up while there's a DM behind him. He isn't the guy you want sitting in front of the defence as the deepest mid holding fort.
  7. Jun 19, 2017

AdNani New Member

Matic is the DM at Chelsea, not Kante. Its like people calling Keane and Vieira DMs purely because they were tackling midfielders, I don't think Kante has ever stood still long enough to be called a DM
  8. Jun 19, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

There is always confusion with that. Gattuso was known as a DM even though he played higher up the pitch than Pirlo on those Milan sides.
  9. Jun 19, 2017

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Runner and holding mid might be better expressions, two different ways to play when the opposition got possession, but even then there are grey areas.
  10. Jun 19, 2017

Random Task Full Member

Are you not just splitting hairs here, though? I feel a better representation of a players role can be seen in their stats for the season. Kante played 55 games last term for Chelsea, amassing a grand total of 3 goals and 2 assists. Poor stats for any midfielder, unless he was playing a more limited, reserved role in those games.

Yes he runs about a lot, but surely that's more down to the fact that he is the primary ball winner for his team, combined with relentless pressing. Either way he is a top mid and one we would love to have at either of our clubs.
  11. Jun 19, 2017

RedCurry Full Member

I agree with this. Kante is a defensive midfielder and really gold standard of defensive midfielders.

Dier isn't good enough as either a midfielder or a CB. I am not sure what he brings to the table. A functional player at best and splashing cash on such a profile of player doesn't make sense to me. A manager of Jose quality should surely be able to get similar efficiency from someone within the squad or from a midfielder who might be recommended by the scouts.
  12. Jun 19, 2017

SS Full Member

I'd rather we looked at Dendoncker if we aren't getting Fabinho.
  13. Jun 19, 2017

beingshe7don Full Member

He's pretty attacking minded but is he good enough to stay at the back and just defend while Pogba and Herrera work their magic?
  14. Jun 19, 2017

Who says a DM must only sit in front of the defence? Kante is a proactive defensive shield commonly classed as a ball winner. Like Keane before him you defintely want someone like him as the man to shield your defence.
  15. Jun 19, 2017

He was a DM. Just a proactive one. The type classed as ball winners. Rather than the DPM's like Carrick or pure Anchor Men/Water Carriers like Casemiro or Makelele
  16. Jun 19, 2017

The notion that DMs must only 'hold their position' is a modern English media myth. A true DM is supposed to do much more than just hold position in front of his defence. People in recent times have wrongly conflated the role and style of the old school Cateneccio sweeper with that of a DM.
  17. Jun 19, 2017

Varun Moderator

I was talking from United's perspective there. It just so happens that it's the best way to use Kante too.
  18. Jun 19, 2017

AdNani New Member

We already have a proactive ball winner in Herrera, what we need is the sitter, which Dier is.
  19. Jun 19, 2017

Herrera to be fair is an attacking midfielder who can defend. He is not really a proactive DM. I agree about Dier. But even a Kante would have worked for us. Because like Keane he is an exceptional game reader, with an ace positonal sense. Always positioning himself in the right area to quell a developing danger. As opposed to Carrick or Dier type that position themselves to disrupt and intercept developed threats.
  20. Jun 19, 2017

Probably 200m
  21. Jun 19, 2017

Valencia Shin Crosses New Member

A year later and people are still complaining about fecking Kante
  22. Jun 19, 2017

SS Full Member

He's the deepest midfielder out of him and Tielemans isn't he? I assume he'd be used to a defensive role.
  23. Jun 19, 2017

AdNani New Member

I would of said he was when we signed him, but When Carrick was playing I think he performed the Kante role very well, his tackling and running stats are not to dissimilar to kantes either.

I'm Sure if we signed Kante it would of worked, he's a brilliant player. Think with Pogba though, you need a 'Holding' player In there, not necessarily because he's poor defensively, but because it gives him less responsibility in that regard and allows him to concentrate going forward more.

If its Dier, I'm sure he'll do a very good job like he has in that role for Spurs, price is always going to be an issue with Levy though.
  24. Jun 19, 2017

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    How has this thread reached 42 pages when there is no solid evidence that Spurs have the slightest intention of selling Dier or that United are trying to get him?
  25. Jun 19, 2017

LeftyBlaster Full Member

^^^
  26. Jun 19, 2017

Drainy Full Member

You are aware that spurs fans are the most frequent posters in this thread, aren't you?

Most United fans posting are debating his quality rather than a transfer, particularly after he was made to look stupid playing for England.
  27. Jun 19, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

[​IMG]

Its a mystery.
  28. Jun 19, 2017

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    That would account for maybe 4 or 5 pages .... out of 42 :houllier:
  29. Jun 19, 2017

An Irish Red Full Member

The rest is just united fans saying that they don't want him here.
  30. Jun 19, 2017

IrishRedDevil Full Member

Most of the posts are sheer panic as we don't want the average Joe anywhere near United.
  31. Jun 19, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

Yes, but the majority of those posts contribute to a chain of replies/interactions. Look at your last two posts for example - they've resulted in five direct replies.

Without the Spurs posts this thread would be half the current length.
  32. Jun 19, 2017

YouOnlyLiveTwice Full Member

All we can go from is journos, and those who cover Utd are saying he is one of the targets this summer.
  33. Jun 19, 2017

Random Task Full Member

Dier is merely a smokescreen for Dele Alli. We United fans have known this since the beginning and are simply playing along with the pretense in order to keep the secret hidden.
  34. Jun 25, 2017

AP88 Full Member

People said the same regarding Keane to Carrick; it's not like-for-like, it's evolution.

Pogba's defensive flaws make it necessary to have a pure destroyer behind him rather than a deeper metronome. Pogba can conduct the midfield, he just needs a bodyguard to do so.

Dier reminds me a lot of Gareth Barry, who at City 'carried' Yaya Toure's defensive burden to the extent people only saw how lazy Yaya was when Barry was exiled.
  35. Jun 25, 2017

golden_blunder Dreaming of a return to 4-4-2

I'd prefer someone else, especially since levy will demand a huge fee for a limited player
  36. Jun 25, 2017

El-Manos Full Member

Please don't say Matic though who I consider even more limited.
  37. Jun 25, 2017

golden_blunder Dreaming of a return to 4-4-2

Don't really want him either
  38. Jun 25, 2017

Devil may care Full Member

I'd take Dier over Matic, both lumberers who aren't good enough but at least Dier can be a utility player and has resale value for when we can get someone good.
  39. Jun 25, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

I do not like Dier that much but, prefer him over Matic.
  40. Jun 25, 2017

Ban Full Member

Resale value, do you really care about that?