Euro 2012 Preliminary Squads

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by vanthaman, May 7, 2012.

1. May 8, 2012

Blackwidow Full Member

No - against Germany van Bommel/Strootman was the CM-pairing - against England it was van Bommel/deJong. Snijder is CAM and not a CM. And van Marwijk plays Snijder or van der Vaart and not both together as much as I know.

Didn't Robben play left offensive midfield in the match against England? He has done both sides before even if he plays on the right for Bayern (even there he plays left when Ribery is out and Müller takes the right side).

Are you so sure he will start RvP over Huntelaar? I think that is a similar question like if you play Klose or Gomez. Huntelaar won the golden cannon in Germany with 29 goals (had 13 assists, too), has the most goals in the Euro League and had the most goals in the Euro Cup qualification, even if they had the luck to play against teams like San Marino... - and as much as I have seen from the match against England he seems to link up very well with Robben.
  2. May 8, 2012

Ace Full Member

Absolutely no question van Persie is a starter. Every game. Every time.
  3. May 8, 2012

::sonny:: Full Member

Klose instead of Gomez, not a chance.
  4. May 8, 2012

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Germany
    The squad is really brilliant.

I think Germany will win the tournament.

Great news for Zieler.

Holland
    That Van Wolfswinkel, Dost and Bruma aren't even in the preliminary squad is a shock for me.

Great squad too, but i don't rate their defence.

ROI
    Sad news for McCarthy and his family :(
  5. May 8, 2012

unitedbhoy Full Member

Wonder if Trap has even heard of a team call Norwich. :(
  6. May 8, 2012

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

Carles Puyol is having knee surgery so he'll most likely miss the Euros.
  7. May 8, 2012

Zen Full Member

As if Kroos won't start.....could be in place of Khedira(least likely) or Gotze/Muller.
  8. May 8, 2012

SilentWitness Everton fan

I think most people would have Germany and Spain ahead of everyone, and then a group behind them that would include Holland who could possibly win.A
  9. May 8, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Holland have won every single game in WC qualifiers, every game at the World Cup apart from the final which they drew in a regular time and all but one game (which was played after they've already qualified anyway) in current qualifiers. They're up there with Spain and Germany.
  10. May 8, 2012

Homeomorphic Banned

France are my favourites to win it. Not sure about Italy anymore after Rossi ruled out.
  11. May 8, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Same here, France are remarkably underpriced in that England are bigger favourites to qualify for the final than they are. Strange stuff. Germany-France final for me.
  12. May 8, 2012

Cling Bak Hi, I'm Barry Scott

This sums it up better than I could have. The Dutch are anything but 'outsiders'.

I'd say Spain, Germany, Netherlands are the three expected to win it most.

The next group down based on tournament experience, reputation and relative quality/strength is Italy, France, Portugal and England. Probably in that order. I'd actually fancy Portugal to do well (despite botching qualification as hard as possible) were it not for their tough group.

After that group though, you're probably looking at what the emotional fans call 'an upset'.
  13. May 8, 2012

FCBarca Full Member

Spain will probably consider Javi to pair with Pique at CB now that Puyol is out with a knee injury but it's a big loss ahead of the Euros, regardless
  14. May 8, 2012

Would moving Ramos there disrupt their usual system a bit much?

442 seem to think Arbeloa will play left back. I thought Alba would play.

Who starts up front without David Villa? Soldado or Llorente?
  15. May 8, 2012

Sewelly The Geordie Full Member

Anybody know when Blanc is announcing his squad?
  16. May 8, 2012

He said he'd name the foreign-based players tomorrow (9th) and the French based on 15th. All for his provisional squad.

I'm excited by what they have to offer. They go round in cycles almost like clockwork, managing to do well, but then rely on ageing stars that did well and follow-up with an awful tournament or two and a few years of poor performances. It happened in the late 80's/early 90's, again in early 00's, then late 00's/early 10's. I think we can now expect a different and more exciting look from Blanc, with a new generation beginning.
  17. May 8, 2012

Gio Full Member

If Villa doesn't play I'd be doubly surprised if Alba doesn't start. Nobody else will provide that width down the left.
  18. May 8, 2012

Casillas

Ramos
    Puyol
    Martinez
    Alba

Xavi
    Alonso
    Busquets
    Silva
    Iniesta

Llorente

Should probably be the team.

Casillas
    Ramos Martinez Pique Alba
    Alonso Xavu Busquets
    Silva Iniesta
    Llorente

It'll probably be completely different though.
  19. May 8, 2012

Puyol is out.
  20. May 8, 2012

I think he meant to type Pique instead of Puyol on that first list, as that was the whole basis for the discussion.
  21. May 8, 2012

davisjw Full Member

VP can also play out wide. With Kuyt's demise this season, you could see:

RVP------Huntelaar-------Robben
    ----------Sneijder---------------
    -----De Jong---Van Bommel-----

So long as you have those bruisers backing you up and a solid defense it can work. RVP is a runner when he's up for it.
  22. May 8, 2012

davisjw Full Member

I thought certainly the two would get in. They deserve it. But I think they're a bit too offensive for Trap's 1950s style Italian defense. He was even talking yesterday like he expects to stay on past Euros. I certainly hope not. The Irish deserve better than playing dire football, hoping to grab a goal a game. They do have talent, especially coming up the ranks.
  23. May 8, 2012

FCBarca Full Member

Ramos plays CB more & more for RM but hasn't regularly featured there for La Furia Roja...They need an attacking player at RB so I think they lose too much by playing Ramos at CB and Arbeloa at RB...Makes more sense, IMHO, to play Javi there at CB with Alba and Ramos out wide

We'll see what Del Bosque ends up doing but a big blow nevertheless to lose Puyol, he really marshalls that defense and is a danger at set pieces

Villa is likely to be in the squad but isn't likely to start, I imagine...I would guess Silva, Iniesta & Llorente up top...Curious if Pedro's return to form of late will get him into the final squad, ultimately
  24. May 8, 2012

That's what I expect them to play. They have some great options off the bench, through the middle or out wide.
  25. May 8, 2012

Well, you'd have to have Van Persie on the right and Robben on the left, but it's definitely an option. In 4 of their last 8 games they've played Van Persie out wide and Huntelaar up top but it's not been hugely successful from what I can see. 2 goals from the pair of them in 4 games isn't great, particularly up against Finland, Moldova, Sweden and Uruguay. Although they were missing Robben for every one of those games.
  26. May 8, 2012

Gio Full Member

I think that's quite likely. Had form and fitness been maintained I'd have thought Pedro and Villa flanking Silva in the Messi role would have been likely. Playing Iniesta in the front three does allow for Busquets, Alonso and Xavi to play together although that can mean Xavi operates higher than he is normally accustomed, for Barcelona at least.
  27. May 8, 2012

FCBarca Full Member

True, Gio...Iraola is a wildcard...Del Bosque could play him there instead of Arbeloa but again, we're talking about a particular format tournament that needs to have the squad hitting the ground running - they can't afford a slip up early like against the Suisse in South Africa...In that respect, Del Bosque is more likely to take the conservative approach but we'll see I guess
  28. May 8, 2012

Anyone care to name Italy or France's likely XI's?

Naming England's is tricky with the managerial change.
  29. May 8, 2012

Jaap Full Member

Just heard that too. Looks like he needs surgery on his knee.
  30. May 8, 2012

unitedbhoy Full Member

I would really like to see Llorente getting the nod in the Euros, considering the season he has had - In Europe anyway.

But I notice with Bilbao's games, he is regularly taken off for Toquero. Can you shed any light on this? Does Llorente have fitness problems which prevents him from being able to play 90 minutes?
  31. May 8, 2012

20le_Solskjaer Full Member

Maybe due to the fact that Toquero chases anything
  32. May 8, 2012

France

Lloris

Debuchy* Rami Mexes* Evra

Nasri* M'Vila Cabaye*

Menez* Benzema Ribery​

Right back's still undecided with Reveillere being Debuchy's nearest challenger, I believe. In France's last 4 friendlies they've had 4 different partners for Rami; Sakho, Kaboul, Koscielny and Mexes. Nasri's good finish to the season and overall form for France over the last 15 months should get him in there, and Cabaye provides the best balance to the midfield so should get the nod ahead over Martin and Amalfitano, while the more industrious Alou Diarra or versatile Malouda can offer an alternative setup. Menez is coming off a good season at club and international level and looks like making the step up to being a top-level player but Valbuena and Remy are both in with a shout and all three offer very different things.

Italy

Buffon
    Maggio* Chiellini Ranocchia* Criscito*
    Pirlo
    De Rossi Marchisio*
    Montolivo
    Cassano Giovinco*​

Prandelli has tended to favour Ranocchia but there's Barzagli there who my Juventus-supporting mate says has been the best centre back in the league, and he's been given a few chances for Italy over the last 18 months. Criscito and Balzaretti have been switched regularly but it looks like Criscito will get the nod, while Maggio's clear favourite at right back but Cassani offers competition there. The midfield four is pretty much set unless Prandelli opts for the more combative Nocerino or the more experienced Motta to take the place of Marchisio, while up front it's anyone's guess for who will partner Cassano. Giovinco and Balotelli offer similar explosiveness and are very gifted, but at this level they're still a risk. Pazzini will always offer a different option but he's had a poor time of it at Inter and is unlikely to sneak into the setup now. Di Natale's a wild card.
  33. May 8, 2012

Di Natale's boot makers (Asics) are apparently producing a new edition called 'Euro Toto'. Reckon he'll definitely make the squad at least.

Oh and on current form Ben Arfa deserves to make the French squad.
  34. May 8, 2012

Homeomorphic Banned

If both teams top their groups (or both end up second), which you'd expect them to do, they'll meet in the semis already. Although in group B anything could happen. If Portugal and Denmark park the bus and Netherlands snatch a win, even Germany might not make it out of the group stages. The margin of error is extremely slim with so many quality teams around in the Euros and in a cup competition anything can happen in one-off games (if the CL this season hasn't already shown).

Don't know why no one recognises how well France are doing under Blanc though. They haven't lost any of their last 18 games under him. Quality all over the pitch and enough matchwinners in Benzema, Ribery and Nasri. With everyone concentrating on Spain and Germany, they might sneak through to the finals without any pressure.
  35. May 8, 2012

Tough luck for Portugal and Denmark to be in that group, put either of them in Group A and they could well top it.

The difference in quality between group A and the other groups is quite shocking. I can't say I mind though, to be in a group with Russia, Greece and Czech Republic at a major tournament is actually nice.
  36. May 8, 2012

Jaap Full Member

Poland are in for a surprise, IMO. They have some great players on form with Piszczek, Kuba and Lewandowski - all three were vital for Dortmund this season.
  37. May 8, 2012

Aboutreika18 Full Member

I'd expect them to play with at least one conventional striker, either Matri or Pazzini most likely.
  38. May 8, 2012

Baxter Full Member

Slightly off topic, but Piszczek is arguably the best full back in Germany and for people wanting a more experienced right-back he'd be perfect for us. I reckon they will do well, possible to get to the quarters at least I think. Germany look a bit weak up front (I don't rate Gomez all that highly) if they are only going to use 1 out and out striker. However the support in midfield is class. Italy really don't have much up front either. I quite fancy Portugal this year.
  39. May 8, 2012

Gomez has scored upwards of 40 goals this season and Klose is an absolute beast at international level. I don't think they're weak upfront at all, whoever they opt for who do fine with that midfield behind them. Extremely potent side.
  40. May 8, 2012

SATA Full Member

That Italy starting XI is quite shocking. The French will be hard to beat, but they won't score many either. Spain not to make the final this time. Germany or Holland to take it