Euro 2012 Preliminary Squads

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by vanthaman, May 7, 2012.

1. May 11, 2012

Cling Bak Hi, I'm Barry Scott

I'd prefer Stockdale over Green. Not because I really dislike the latter, I just think he's had his day.

I'd really like Ruddy to go.
  2. May 11, 2012

26 man Russia squad

Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeyev (CSKA Moscow), Vyacheslav Malafeyev (Zenit St Petersburg), Anton Shunin (Dynamo Moscow)

Defenders: Alexander Anyukov (Zenit St Petersburg), Alexei Berezutsky (CSKA Moscow), Vasily Berezutsky (CSKA Moscow), Sergei Ignashevich (CSKA Moscow), Roman Sharonov (Rubin Kazan), Roman Shishkin (Lokomotiv Moscow), Vladimir Granat (Dynamo Moscow)

Midfielders: Igor Denisov (Zenit St Petersburg), Roman Shirokov (Zenit St Petersburg), Konstantin Zyryanov (Zenit St Petersburg), Yuri Zhirkov (Anzhi Makhachkala), Alan Dzagoyev (CSKA Moscow), Igor Semshov (Dynamo Moscow), Denis Glushakov (Lokomotiv Moscow), Magomed Ozdoyev (Lokomotiv Moscow), Marat Izmailov (Sporting), Dmitry Kombarov (Spartak Moscow)

Forwards: Andrei Arshavin (Zenit St Petersburg), Alexander Kerzhakov (Zenit St Petersburg), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Lokomotiv Moscow), Artem Dzyuba (Spartak Moscow), Alexander Kokorin (Dynamo Moscow), Pavel Pogrebnyak (Fulham).

No Bily-let-one-off.
  3. May 11, 2012

Blackwidow Full Member

When do the other teams start the preparation?

Germany started today with a regeneration camp - without any key players as the Bayern players play the Cup final tomorrow, the CL final and the friendly against the Netherlands at 22nd. Dortmund still has to play the Cup final. The leagues in Spain in Italy still play this weekend and Real Madrid plays a friendly in Qatar next week.

So today they started with:
    Wiese, Zieler, ter Stegen (all goalkeepers), Mertesacker, Höwedes (defense) Lars Bender, Draxler, Schürrle, Podolski, Reus (midfield) and Cacau (forward) - apart from Podolski probably none will be in the starting formation

On 15th the Dortmund players and Klose will arrive
    Hummels, Schmelzer, S. Bender, Gündogan, Klose - only Hummels and Klose will probably make the starting formation...

On 20th Khedira and Özil

And the Bayern players will start at 25th...

Badstuber decided to stay with the Bayern players as he probably meets more players of the starting formation of the Euros there than at the training camp... :cool:
  4. May 11, 2012

England players will report for a four day training camp in Spain on May 21.

I would imagine the Chelsea players will join up slightly later, but only by a day or two.
  5. May 11, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

So it's Neuer, Badstuber, Lahm, Boateng, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Muller and Gomez who will probably start for Germany? Wow.
  6. May 11, 2012

Nick 0208 Ldn News 24

Can Gareth Barry have a ten second head start this time?
  7. May 11, 2012

phelans shorts Full Member

He did last time, he still fecking lost.
  8. May 11, 2012

Against Ozil, he looked like Barry from EastEnders.
  9. May 11, 2012

Blackwidow Full Member

No - not all. Gomez is fighting with Klose but that thing Klose probably wins. And Kroos with Khedira - here Khedira probably wins as he is the more defensive and in my eyes worked better with Müller and Özil in the recent matches. Boateng fights for right back against Höwedes - but Boateng seemed to be ahead of him if you watched the recent year.

Sure starters are Neuer, Badstuber, Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Müller and Özil and probably even Poldi. Löw usually trusts the players that he had success with before - and it was Neuer, Badstuber, Lahm, the midfield with Khedira/Schweinsteiger/Kroos (one of them always was injured or sick) and especially the Müller-Özil-pair in either combination with Gomez or Klose who have been the key for the spotless Euro-Qualifications. Mertesacker probably will be the only one due to his injury and his form he will cut off that rule.

The German team will probably look like this

Neuer
    Boateng (Höwedes) - Hummels (Mertesacker) - Badstuber - Lahm
    Khedira (Kroos) - Schweinsteiger
    Müller - Özil - Podolski (maybe Reus or Schürrle)
    Klose (Gomez)

The others in the team will not be in for a position in the starting formation. Some like Götze have the chance to be in for substitutions - but that depends on Götze's form after his injury.

The blind understanding between Müller and Özil and their combination play together the German team lived of the recent two years - they were rotating over the whole pitch and the right position was taken over by Khedira, Kroos, Klose or Özil whenever Müller left it to rover around. Müller and Özil even took over the 6-position sometimes. I do not know if it will be the same now with Schweinsteiger back - he has not played very much in the German team the recent year and Löw has done the experiments when he was not playing. Poldi had a holding job lately - keep a wide position, be patient but be there to shot whenever you are needed.

Neuer is one of the best keepers in the world, Badstuber a defender that has a superb build-up-play and is the only left-foot, Lahm the captain, Schweinsteiger the motor and Müller the one that has been exceptional in the recent World Cup, has 25 assists or goals in 26 matches, just has a blind understanding with Özil and probably is the most successful player in national teams the recent months with 8 assists and three goals in 400 minutes of playing time since September. (but he has the biggest concurrence in Reus who has been really well in the Bundesliga - but if Löw would skip one of that front line he would take Poldi first). Even if they arrive last in the training camp they will have their places secured - especially if they win the Champions League and carry that wind into the EUROs.

10. May 11, 2012

cesc's_mullet Get a haircut Hippy!

Could Reus not play on either flank? What a mighty fine team that is.
  11. May 11, 2012

Blackwidow Full Member

He could. But who would you leave out for him. Müller and Özil have been the key players - and Poldi has had a great season and has shown his values in every tournament he played in.

And Reus does not have any international experience, is not used to play a three-day-rhythm and has skipped a couple of invitations in the recent one and a half years because of sickness or injuries. He just has played 4 matches until now - three times as substitute - one minute, 18 minutes, 8 minutes and once he was allowed to start and play 70 minutes. He played ok in it - but I guess you have to play more than ok to get past the other ones. He has the advantage to attend the full preparations for the Euros - and he certainly will be in the 23-squad, but the first week is just regeneration and as long as the full squad is not available with so many key players missing there will not be to much tactical issues.
  12. May 14, 2012

Helder-Carvalho Full Member

Portugal's Squad

GK
    Rui Patrício
    Eduardo
    Beto

Defenders
    Ricardo Costa
    Bruno Alves
    Fábio Coentrão
    João Pereira
    Pepe
    Rolando
    Miguel Lopes

Midfielders
    Carlos Martins
    João Moutinho
    Miguel Veloso
    Ruben Micael
    Custódio
    Raul Meireles

Forwards
    Nani
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Hugo Almeida
    Ricardo Quaresma
    Nélson Oliveira
    Varela
    Helder Postiga
  13. May 14, 2012

Mighty Boosh Full Member

Who'll be starting up front for Portugal?

And what sort of formation do they usually play under Bento?
  14. May 14, 2012

Helder-Carvalho Full Member

My best bet:

Rui Patricio

joão pereira
    rolando
    bruno alves
    fábio coentrão

pepe
    joão moutinho
    carlos martins

cristiano ronaldo
    hugo almeida
    nani
  15. May 14, 2012

ch7 Full Member

Portugal have lined up completely different to that under Bento, particularly in the playoffs vs Bosnia. Pepe doesn't play in midfield anymore, that was very much a Queiroz tactic.

I think fitness permitting they will probably play like this in the first game vs Germany.

Rui Patricio

Joao Pereira
    Pepe
    Bruno Alves
    Coentrao

Meireles
    Veloso
    Moutinho

Nani
    Postiga
    Ronaldo
  16. May 14, 2012

R.N7 Such tagline. Wow!

Sweden:

Målvakter:
    Pär Hansson, 25, Helsingborg
    Andreas Isaksson, 30, PSV Eindhoven
    Johan Wiland, 31, FC Köpenhamn

Backar:
    Mikael Lustig, 25, Celtic
    Olof Mellberg, 34, Olympiakos
    Andreas Granqvist, 27, Genoa
    Martin Olsson, 23, Blackburn
    Jonas Olsson, 29, West Bromwich
    Mikael Antonsson, 30, Bologna
    Behrang Safari, 27, Anderlecht

Mittfältare:
    Rasmus Elm, 24, AZ Alkmaar
    Sebastian Larsson, 26, Sunderland
    Anders Svensson, 35, Elfsborg
    Kim Källström, 29, Lyon
    Pontus Wernbloom, 25, CSKA Moskva
    Samuel Holmén, 27, Istanbul
    Emir Bajrami, 24, FC Twente
    Christian Wilhelmsson, 32, Al-Ahly

Forwards:
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 30, Milan
    Tobias Hysén, 30, IFK Göteborg
    Johan Elmander, 30, Galatasaray
    Ola Toivonen, 25, PSV Eindhoven
    Markus Rosenberg, 28, Werder Bremen

Hysén > Guidetti

The mind fecking boggles
  17. May 14, 2012

Arruda Full Member

This should be it. Only question mark is Postiga.
  18. May 14, 2012

ch7 Full Member

Are you hopeful of Nelson Oliveira making any meaningful sort of contribution to the team?
  19. May 15, 2012

FCBarca Full Member

Local press are today saying Villa won't make the cut for Del Bosque's side
  20. May 15, 2012

Arruda Full Member

I think he will be used at some point during the competition, though probably not in a starting XI.
  21. May 15, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Isn't Guidetti injured and thus out of the tournament?
  22. May 15, 2012

Any Russians know what their lineup will look like? Does Dzagoev make the first XI?
  23. May 15, 2012

Bill.s.preston Fluffybunnykins

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/7757228/Hodgson-drops-squad-hint

Sounds ominous. Has Heskey gone on holiday yet?

24. May 15, 2012

davisjw Full Member

Glad/amused to see Svensson still around. Always thought he should have done more in his club career.

Hodgson is going to upset a lot of people if he does rely on the old guard. I hear Owen and Hargreaves are well rested...
  25. May 15, 2012

vanthaman Winner

Kaboul is out of the euros
  26. May 15, 2012

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Portugal don't do strikers do they. They just do lots and lots of varying midfielders.
  27. May 15, 2012

vanthaman Winner

Rest of french prelim squad

Gardiens : Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Cédric Carrasso (Bordeaux)
    Défenseurs : Mathieu Debuchy (Lille), Anthony Réveillère (Lyon), Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa (Montpellier)
    Milieux de terrain : Alou Diarra (Marseille), Blaise Matuidi (PSG), Yann M'vila (Rennes), Yoann Gourcuff (Lyon), Marvin Martin (Sochaux)
    Attaquants : Olivier Giroud (Montpellier), Jérémy Ménez (PSG), Loïc Rémy (Marseille), Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille)
  28. May 15, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    They haven't had anyone up front decent for a while. You'd think Ronaldo and Nani on the flanks would help though.
  29. May 15, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Yoan fecking Gourcuff, wtf is Blanc doing :houllier: ? Not picking up Capoue, not picking Mavuba.I'm speechless
  30. May 15, 2012

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Well it couldn't hurt could it? It's not like it's an entirely tactical thing either, cos they've always tried to play with one. They had Pauleta for ages, and Liédson for a bit at the last World Cup. They just don't seem to produce any strikers to match the quality of their midfielders.
  31. May 16, 2012

Blackwidow Full Member

When do all of the teams start their preparations? I know that the clubs have do not have to make them available before May 25 th - but I just thought it special that e.g. France just has announced the full squad - England by now had not - and Germany already has started preparation Tuesday, even if they do not have all players available. Özil and Khedira will not arrive until Sunday, the Bayern players next Friday after the friendly Bayern - Netherlands.
  32. May 16, 2012

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    So what was this alleged leaked England squad doing the rounds last night without Rio, Richards, Walker or Crouch?
  33. May 16, 2012

kouroux Full Member

The full squad of 23 players hasn't been finalized for France yet
  34. May 16, 2012

Blackwidow Full Member

At Germany it is 27 that go into the trainings camp - and 4 will be cut out when they finally have to announce the 23.
  35. May 16, 2012

davisjw Full Member

Arguably, Ronaldo as a striker will make him the best striker in the tournament.
  36. May 16, 2012

MrMarcello Full Member

England's 23 man squad has a few glaring omissions. Yikes.
  37. May 16, 2012

Ralaks Full Member

Prelimimary 20 man Danish squad:

Målmænd: Thomas Sørensen (Stoke), Stephan Andersen (Evian).

Forsvar: Andreas Bjelland (FC Nordsjælland), Daniel Agger (Liverpool), Daniel Wass (Evian), Lars Jacobsen (FC København), Simon Busk Poulsen (AZ Alkmaar), Simon Kjær (Wolfsburg),

Midtbane: Christian Poulsen (Evian), Christian Eriksen (Ajax Amsterdam), Jakob Poulsen (FC Midtjylland), Lasse Schøne (NEC Nijmegen), Michael Silberbauer (Young Boys), Niki Zimling (Club Brugge), Thomas Kahlenberg (Evian), William Kvist (Stuttgart),

Angreb: Dennis Rommedahl (Brøndby), Michael Krohn-Dehli (Brøndby), Nicklas Bendtner (Arsenal), Tobias Mikkelsen (FC Nordsjælland)

Anders Lindegaard will surely get the last goalkeeper spot since he is back and has played a couple of times since his injury, Morten Olsen would be idiotic not to include him imo.

Sørensen is nailed on for goalkeeper spot. The biggest question for me is the full backs, I think he'll go for Jacobsen and S Poulsen. I hope Kjær won't be starting, Bjelland has had a far better season than him and has been great since he stepped into the NT. I hope he won't use Christian Poulsen either, but he'll probably play even though he is pretty shit. Rest is nailed on - Kvist, Rommedahl, Eriksen, Krohn-Dehli and Bendtner will play the front 4 without a shadow of a doubt (barring injuries of course). A bit suprised to see Tobias Mikkelsen, I don't follow the Danish league very closely but his team are close to clinching the title over long time champions FC Copenhagen so I suppose he has done something right.

Sørensen
    Jacobsen Agger Bjelland S Poulsen
    Kvist C Poulsen
    Rommedahl Eriksen Krohn-Dehli
    Bendtner​

If I was to pick I'd go for something like. Jacobsen and C Poulsen are too old and too shit imo, Wass is interesting and Zimling deserve (and to be honest probably will) to start over Poulsen since he did it during our entire qualification period. I don't like S Poulsen either, and Silberbauer was immense against Ronaldo when we beat Portugal in Denmark this fall so on top of that I'd start him. I rate Lindegaard over Sørensen too, I suppose the injury ruined it for Anders and if it weren't for that he'd be nailed on to start.

Lindegaard
    Wass Agger Bjelland Silberbauer
    Kvist Zimling
    Rommedahl Eriksen Krohn-Dehli
    Bendtner​

The last three spots will be taken by Lindegaard and Nicklas Petersen - and one depending on how the rest do after they meet up I imagine.
  38. May 16, 2012

Amar__ Full Member

Shame for Lindegaard, I hope at least he will get a call. Sorensen didn't have his best season, he was stoke's 2nd option for most of the season.
  39. May 17, 2012

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Yep he's injured.
  40. May 17, 2012

So, all 16 countries have named a squad of sorts now. England, Ireland and Portugal have named their final 23, barring injury where they could make changes.

Spain have named 21 players without the Barca, Chelsea and Bilbao representatives due to their upcoming cup finals. With these players their squad could reach about 35 players!

Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Thiago, Villa, Pedro, Munian, Martinez, Llorente, Mata, Torres

are all potential players to be added.