Everton 2017/2018 thread

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by VorZakone, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Nov 28, 2017

Peanut Butter Banned

Everton can't realistically attract trophy winning managers though, can they?

Big Sam is about right for them. Too many big up Everton around here simply because they won a league title or two back in the 80s. Or maybe it's because we share the same enemy?

They've been absolute gash for decades now. They're no bigger or better than an Aston Villa or Forest.
  2. Nov 29, 2017

Xaviesta Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona

Sammy Lee could be his assistant. I think some compensation on the way for Crystal Palace too if big Sam becomes Everton manager.
  3. Dec 7, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

The Everton owner in a tracksuit.
  4. Jan 2, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/which-manager-do-you-prefer.101285/

Martinez vs Big Sam poll

Martinez is leading. Seriously why are Everton fans deluded? They have nothing in attack.

Bolasie is back from injury. They laughed at Niasse for a year and then clinged onto some hope he’s their saviour. Lennon isn’t the same player he was at Spurs. Barkley isn’t fit. Calvin Lewis is just a young striker.
  5. Jan 2, 2018

BluesJr Full Member

Everton fans should be grateful they have a manager who knows what he’s doing.
  6. Jan 9, 2018

van der star newprawn warrior Scout

Barkley and Mirallas gone. Niasse, Klaassen, and Sandro will probably be sold this month as well, according to BBC. Big Sam getting rid of previous bosses' purchases.
  7. Jan 9, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

They wanted Martinez out asap when things went bad and even laughed at Belgium for hiring him.
  8. Jan 9, 2018

SambaBoy Full Member

They should try and get Fellaini back, they could do a lot worse, he's shown more in Europe and PL than Klassen has (I know he's only been here 6month in a poor team but it was a strange transfer regardless). They basically are hoping that Cenk Tosun turns out to be worth the price they paid and scores 12-20 goals a season for the next few years, their replacement for Lukaku.

They need to clear out the deadwood. Williams is absolutely dreadful, Jagielka is past it now and needs to be moved on, they could do with replacing Baines as well as he's not the same player, Coleman is reaching his 30's and is coming back from a serious serious injury, McCarthy career has went down the pan due to injuries, Funes Mori has been out for ages. Mirallas has finally been moved/loaned out.

The problem is it's hard to get rid of 7/8 players in a short space of time and replace them effectively especially for a club of Everton's size. None of these players above have any sale value so they would be getting pennies for them.
  9. Feb 4, 2018

Peanut Butter Banned

Why are Everton consistently rubbish, season after season?

Are they one of them really unlucky clubs or just run really poorly?
  10. Feb 4, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

What do you mean by rubbish? They can't afford the top players and have to work within a budget. They comfortably survive in the league and that'll be their aim until they've got the new stadium and have better income. A top 8 position for them should be classed as a successful season for them. Compare them to clubs as big as them, they're doing a lot better than Villa, Birmingham, Forest, but not as good as Spurs. So to say they're rubbish is very harsh.
  11. Feb 4, 2018

Peanut Butter Banned

It's not harsh though. They're supposed to be a big club with a pretty big fanbase.

They haven't won a pot since 1996 I think? They've absolutely no ambition and constantly just sign our duds.
  12. Feb 4, 2018

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

You shouldn't compare them to Villa, Birmingham and Forest. They have vastly outspent them the last few years, and this last season especially.

They are massively underperforming in comparison to spending. Gylfi Sigurdsson for £50m ffs.
  13. Feb 4, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

When someone is defining them as rubbish, comparing them to clubs with a similar stature who have been run exactly like a rubbish owner would is very relevant. Had they been poorly ran, they'd be in the Championship. They are doing fine in the league, 10th is comfortable, not every club can be managed like Spurs.

7th most expensive team in the league and 10th in the league, they're performing slightly below their level. Palace are the 8th and they're 15th.
  14. Feb 4, 2018

unplayable New Member

Why is Niasse starting matches for them? Has Tosun been that terrible?
  15. Feb 4, 2018

Blind Full Member

They're 7 points above the relegation places playing dire football under a manager who they never planned on bringing in. Not to mention their defence is the one of worst in the league and they've added Mangala to it. After spending that much they should be where Burnley are minimum, and they've spent the GDP of a small nation compared to Burnley.
  16. Feb 4, 2018

Gareth williams New Member

Supports:
    Everton

All true but the reality is Burnley are just having a great season and Everton a pretty bad 1. Generally speaking we are 1 of the best sides who aren't 1 of the 6 actually decent sides

As for not winning anything. That will become common place now. They'll be numberous previously big clubs who don't win anything for 50 maybe even 100 years now. The top teams will win almost all the trophies and they'll be little chance for anyone else to build a quality side without it being picked apart by them top teams

Yep we are a bit crap but so are 13 others in this league and we are probably better than all of them. We'd certainly start as favourites next season for the dizzy heights of 7th

Got to say also...... I really don't much care anymore. Very little hope for anyone outside that top 6. Not sure I enjoy football very much anymore. Poor product dreadful lack of competition.

Think a lot of fans from clubs stuck in the middle will begin to lose interest. I mean what have Everton really got to play for any season and we are actually luckier than most
  17. Feb 4, 2018

antsmithmk Full Member

Where's Rooney?
  18. Feb 4, 2018

Supports:
    Everton

At Everton unfortunately
  19. Feb 4, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    When you think how bad Everton have been for most of this season it's a miracle they're actually on 31 points.

Terrible start under Koeman, some laughable performances under Unsworth and it seems they've hardly won a game since xmas.

That good five game spell they had when Big Sam first turned up has saved them.

Big question is do they let him go in the summer or give him a full season (or at least under November when he'll probably be sacked).

Nothing in watching Everton recently is indicating they'll be challenging the top 4 soon regardless of who they sign.
  20. Feb 4, 2018

Baby Groot Banned

We won that FA cup final in 1996 vs Liverpool, however United lost to Everton in 1995.
  21. Feb 4, 2018

Peanut Butter Banned

That's right - the Cantona winner :drool:
  22. Feb 4, 2018

Supports:
    Everton

Think it's an unrealistic aim anyways. We've under performed but we'd have to massively overperform to get anywhere near the top 4 now.

As for allardyce. Really not bothered 1 way or the other. All a bit drab and dull which ever way we go
  23. Feb 4, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

They are dreadful, Allardyce is raging by how they play. I can see many heads rolling in the summer. They should've driven Schneiderlin to West Ham for £20 million, he is bang average and that's being polite. Keane has been rubbish for them too, glad he's finally shut up about apparently turning us down, think I'd rather have Lindelof anyway.
  24. Feb 4, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

No chance Big Sam is there next season
  25. Feb 10, 2018

Xaviesta Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
  26. Feb 26, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Their fans over on GrandOldTeam are sick of Allardyce and to be honest, they have right to be. Everton are stinking the place out.
  27. Mar 31, 2018

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
  28. Mar 31, 2018

el3mel Full Member

That thread title. :lol::lol:

Joking aside, Sam is as good as evading relegation only. He'll never take any team anything beyond that.
  29. Mar 31, 2018

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Ya man but if you read the comments there is to make you cry with so much laughing, he doesn't look much popular there by the sample.

Only 2 more "With a bit more luck it would have been 3-2 and we'd have been right in the game" or "The way he chews his gum, like an elk chomping a piece of tofu destroys me"

Gotta say I think he is competent, somehow the fans usually turn against him :lol:
  30. Mar 31, 2018

el3mel Full Member

He's very unlikable character I must say. :lol:
  31. Mar 31, 2018

SilentWitness ShoelessWitness Staff

Supports:
    Everton
    we have nothing to play for anymore unless it seriously goes pear shaped in the next few weeks and we get dragged back into the battle. See through till the end of the season, get in a new manager early and start forming the structure for the new side and we can battle for Europe again.
  32. Mar 31, 2018

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    I am not joking I find their sense of humour remarkable, don't know why so much negative comments about Sam.
  33. Mar 31, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

I literally don't know how they aren't in the relegation battle. They were awful under Koeman, still awful under Big Sam and pretty much lose every time I check the score or watch them. Did they start with +10 points or something?
  34. Mar 31, 2018

Hojoon Full Member

Self-deprecating humor is supposed to be common in England.
  35. Mar 31, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Same reason that when Burnley when like 13 matches withou a win an no one passed them.
  36. Mar 31, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Only I remember Burnley having an excellent start and being very good until the turn of the year. I guess I have missed Everton golden run of form.
  37. Apr 1, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Do you think Sam will stay on? I guess that's the decision to make and it needs doing early so any new manager can get their own players in early for next season.

I think it's a difficult summer to go through that process though, being the World Cup, and could see next season being a major transitional one for you.

You either have to A) stick with Big Sam as a long term plan, give him money and let him build a team or B) start from scratch again but accept another mediocre season before achieving some consistency/stability.
  38. Apr 1, 2018

prath92 Full Member

They had a good set of results from Sam’s appointment till around New Years(a month or so)
  39. Apr 1, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Rest of the league outside the top 6 is even worse. Quality has truly dropped this year, half the league could be relegated and we wouldn't even notice.
  40. Apr 1, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Yep, went to check it just now. They are actually quite decent at home. Away one of the worst in the league.

I think the trashing from the likes of Arsenal, Atalanta and us having our best away game blur my perception. Well, that and the fact they are pretty shit considering the amount of money they've spent.