Evra accuses Suarez of racist remarks | Suarez guilty of racial abuse

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Feeky Magee, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Dec 22, 2011

PeteReDevil iPete

So, now it's the FA's fault that liverpool are acting like idiots

Tony Barrett via Twitter. How big a victim card can you make, eh?
  2. Dec 22, 2011

kouroux Full Member

Absolutely Spot on Mockney.They seem to think the conspiracy against them is bigger than the fight against racism in all its forms
  3. Dec 22, 2011

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

That's not an unfair comment, really. The FA should have released their findings at the same time.
  4. Dec 22, 2011

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Like moses said, it happened quite a while ago and it was a completely different world back then. English football was in a rut blighted by hooligan culture and racism. By no means were Liverpool alone. Still not appropriate but it really adds nothing to the current debate.
  5. Dec 22, 2011

Redlambs Creator of the Caftards comics

Officially the best poker player on RAWK. Your cas
    Isn't it a case they couldn't because it would affect any potential appeal? They said they are going to after the case is resolved, and legally I would assume that's correct.
  6. Dec 22, 2011

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Exactly. To make this all about themselves is showing a huge lack of respect to the gravity of the issue. It doesn't matter what the accusation is, it's against us, so we should all close ranks. I can't think of any other club that would do this. And despite what the loons on RAWK think, that isn't a good thing.
  7. Dec 22, 2011

PeteReDevil iPete

The circumstances are as they are. No excuse for how liverpool are behaving atm
  8. Dec 22, 2011

kouroux Full Member

That and the fact they cannot compute the fact that Suarez isn't actually consider as a true racist (like the KKK for instance).He is accused of saying offensive words (with racist connotations).There is a huge difference between the two but I honestly don't understand how and why they cannot the grasp the situation.
    Their hatred and feeling of injustice has blinded them.It is unhealthy when it reaches that point.
  9. Dec 22, 2011

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

What do you mean on "our side"?

United, Fergie & Evra have done nothing wrong. Suarez made a comment he shouldn't have made but rather than say sorry, he is now hiding behind LFC and their bizarre blanket of statements.

Suarez is in the wrong here and you know it. Liverpool are guilty of being VERY niaive
  10. Dec 22, 2011

Burrow Still enjoys cocks

He really puts the dumb in dumbstar
  11. Dec 22, 2011

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

We have come to the point when I feel sorry for Luis Suarez.

His comments against Evra was ignorant and foolish, probably meant to wind up a opponent so his team could take advantage of it, but I don't think he's a bad person. He deserve's the punishment but he don't deserve's the rest.

The persons to blame for this fiasco is Kenny Dalglish and the people in charge for his club. I also blame Suarez agent and close friends. Whoever guided him from the Evra incident up till today have done him nothing but bad. His club have let him down, this t-shirt campaign is one of the worse propaganda project I have ever witness. It's beyond stupid.

How a respected club like Liverpool, with such a great and proud history, can end up like this is sad and unnecessary. They have defended the wrong corner with their puberty mentality and over reacted actions. They have dragging shame on many innocent team mates, supporters by forcing them, with or without their will, into this propaganda carnival. And by publish a official statement where they accuse Evra they support more tribalism and lay the foundations for more hate in a already inflamed relation between two great clubs.

I feel truly sorry for Suarez. He's a diver and a cheater but as far as i can see not a bad human being. Condemn his actions but don't condemn a young and ill advised man who lack wise support to help him in this difficult moment. It's not funny any longer.
  12. Dec 22, 2011

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

a United fan should apply for that, do a long term wum
  13. Dec 22, 2011

sammsky1 Full Member

Should SAF put in a cheeky bid for him next month? :lol:
  14. Dec 22, 2011

Hal9000 Full Member

Personally, i don't really get why Liverpool and the fans are complaining about his ban. Any "fan" caught using racist language in the stands would get at least 2 years.
  15. Dec 22, 2011

We need a diver. Last time had a proper one we won the CL ;)
  16. Dec 22, 2011

Liam147 On Probation

Why? The majority seem to criticising Liverpool in general. Suarez is bound to come in for a barrage of abuse from fans. He's just been found guilty of racial abuse. I've played football a fair bit, and have never thought of chucking a racial slur out there for any reason.

Even the race issue aside, he comes across has a nasty footballer. The biting incident is bad enough, then turning an entire continent against you with the worst act of bad sportsmanship and cheating a world cup has ever seen (Maradona's wasn't as bad), then as you say, is the diving. I couldn't feel less sorry for him.

17. Dec 22, 2011

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

They really are professional Victims aren't they?

I'm actually staggered at the fact they are once again painting themselves as this holier than thou community that has once again been treated completely unjustly and they all must stick together and fight for the greater good.

The fact they actually believe it is what is even more unbelievable.
  18. Dec 22, 2011

Saliph Banned

Klanfield :lol::lol:
  19. Dec 22, 2011

Like the rest of us I hate his on field actions, a disgusting player on all levels. But as far as I have read about his personal life he seems like a nice and decent man who is popular by his team mates and friends. We probably have to wait for his future comments before we make a proper judgement of his character.
  20. Dec 22, 2011

NewDawnFades Full Member

Yeah of course he got himself in this mess, but by this point his reputation is not being helped by the club one jot.

If he had been told to get his head down, that the club would appeal and they didn't believe he was guilty - it would eventually die down. Now this has become a big issue that will forever be attached to his name, along with the actions attributed to supporting his name.

As so many have said it's PR disaster on every level
  21. Dec 22, 2011

nistleloy Full Member

:houllier:

Oh dear.
  22. Dec 22, 2011

Eyepopper Lowering the tone since 2006

Barnes is a bit slow though isn't he?
  23. Dec 22, 2011

Brophs The one and only

Did Liverpool send out a Christmas card to all of their ex-players asking them to weigh in with uninformed nonsense? Or is that just their default setting?
  24. Dec 22, 2011

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

Just waiting for the posts from Liverpool supporters claiming that "if a Black man has said it's OK, it's Ok."
  25. Dec 22, 2011

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

He's admitted it?...but...but....I thought he was charged on Evra's word alone? This is all so incredibly confusing.
  26. Dec 22, 2011

nistleloy Full Member

Default setting.
  27. Dec 22, 2011

kouroux Full Member

Barnes :lol:
    So far I haven't heard any sensible point of view regarding this subject from anyone to connected to Liverpool past or present.
  28. Dec 22, 2011

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy

On a (loosly) similar theme, me and my friend were discussing how we would feel/what we would do if your employer had, in a similar situation, behaved in the same fashion to that of Liverpool... and I came to the conclusion that I'd probably hand my notice in.

I know that sounds reactionary/sensationalist... and perhaps my answer would be different if I didn't have enough money saved up to live on for a few months or my employment options elsewhere were severely limited... but in my current situation, I would certainly leave... as I would be far too disgusted to work for them.

Basically, this is a roundabout way of saying just how disgusting and reprehensible I think the actions of Liverpool FC have been during this whole affair. Their current actions are damaging a fantastic reputation and history that has been built up by incredible individuals from years gone by.
  29. Dec 22, 2011

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Yet to hear anything decent from anyone connected with LFC on this matter.

Also yet to hear anyone connected with LFC being sorry that Evra had to suffer the abuse. Y'know considering he is the real victim in all of this.
  30. Dec 22, 2011

Edmeiste Banned

im glad stan collymore is at least being honest
  31. Dec 22, 2011

Liam147 On Probation

Sadly you're not going to when they're so staunchly defending him. They're admitting no fault whatsoever on their part, and can't apologise to Evra until they do.
  32. Dec 22, 2011

dicko Full Member

John Barnes blasts Luis Suarez 'witch hunt'

Former Liverpool and England footballer John Barnes has attacked a "witch hunt" against Luis Suarez after he was banned for racially abusing another player.

The Liverpool striker was banned by the FA for eight games for using "insulting words" in reference to Manchester United defender Patrice Evra's colour.

Barnes defended Suarez, saying: "As much as we will say ignorance is no excuse, ignorance is an excuse."

He said that "cultural differences have to be taken into consideration".
    'Zero tolerance'

Barnes, who played for Liverpool from 1987 to 1997, endured racial abuse throughout his playing career.

Speaking on BBC Radio Merseyside, he said: "From a cultural point of view, [Suarez] has been backed by people from Uruguay saying the word he used is not deemed as a racist term."

He continued: "As much as we will say that ignorance is no excuse, ignorance is an excuse."

"Twenty years ago in England, the same people in England now condemning him were ignorant as to what racism is. Why don't they condemn themselves?"

Barnes, who received 79 England caps, continued: "When Manchester United play Liverpool and 10,000 United fans are saying 'you Scouse thieves', I'd like them all to be banned."
    Luis Suarez The allegations against Suarez stemmed from a Premier League match in October

"And Liverpool fans too, when they say 'you Manc or whatever'. So where are we going to draw the line? Racism has to be zero tolerance but this is now a witch hunt."

Suarez intends to appeal against the ruling, which stemmed from allegations made following a Premier League match between Liverpool and Manchester United on 15 October.

Barnes said: "By admitting [what he said], he obviously didn't feel that what he said was that significant.

"Because he could easily have gotten away with it by saying 'I never said a word'."

BBC News - John Barnes blasts Luis Suarez 'witch hunt'

If Suarez was genuinely ignorant of the fact that his comments were unacceptable, the obvious next step would be to apologise and say he wont do it again. That has not happened (and clearly wont).

Also, as many have pointed out, he has not been found guilty of being racist. He has been found guilty of 'making discriminatorty and insulting comments'. If a player is charged with violent conduct, the decision is made on the incident. The player does not bring in witnesses proving he is not violent and is gentle towards children and women. That is irrelevant. The case is about the incident.

Context is important but in this case the context is clear. When Michael Owen scored his first United goal, United fans started chanting "You scouse bastard." In the circumstances, it is clear that this was said jokingly rather than in an abusive manner. When United fans chant the same at Gerrard or Carragher after a bad tackle, it is clearly abusive. The circumstances are very different. The comments from Suarez were clearly designed to wind up Evra. They were meant to insult - that is why they are unacceptable.

Suarez seems to be saying "I made comments about a player's race to offend him but the comments should not be considered offensive. I think the comments are acceptable because I am not a racist".
  33. Dec 22, 2011

SteveJ all-round nice guy

Is it just me or does anyone else find it hard to accept the impartial opinion of ex-Liverpool player, LFC Ambassador & good friend of Dalglish John Barnes?
  34. Dec 22, 2011

WR RedCafe FIFA League Season 1 Winner

It's not just you, Steve.
  35. Dec 22, 2011

Hectic Moderator

Forget decent, I've yet to hear anything that even makes sense or doesn't excuse racism from the defence of Suarez. There is no rationality in their arguments.
  36. Dec 22, 2011

WR RedCafe FIFA League Season 1 Winner

But his Grandfather is black!
  37. Dec 22, 2011

Hectic Moderator

Apart from that, and him hugging black kids, and his teammates support through gay tribute shirts, and his manager Kenny Dalglish wanting to be his father, and the support of reverend Gus Poyet.
  38. Dec 22, 2011

Heinzesight Full Member

My word. How does John Barnes of all people not understand.
  39. Dec 22, 2011

Eugenius Full Member

Barnes defended Suarez, saying: "As much as we will say ignorance is no excuse, ignorance is an excuse."

Ok, yeah that's fine.
  40. Dec 22, 2011

Liam147 On Probation

To be honest, I think it's more the fact that he put up with far worst, and now they're finally clamping down, and it's happened to a Liverpool player. If the roles were reversed he could use his history to write an article how it's about time they did something about it.

Everybody that isn't connected with United or Liverpool speaks sense, in that what they're doing is not just wrong, but laughable.