FA Cup Semi Faux Goal

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by rcoobc, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Apr 16, 2012

WR RedCafe FIFA League Season 1 Winner

What is this... the video footage clearly showed the ball not over the line, why is everyones opinion changing based on one photo which is clearly took from a specific angle contradicting all the other evidence of it which showed it to be not even questionable.
  2. Apr 16, 2012

AlwaysRedwood Banned

And Atkinson has apologized to Harry for the call.
  3. Apr 16, 2012

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy

Why is Mata not being villified for running of celebrating when he can clearly see the ball hadn't crossed the line?? That's just as much cheating as any Ashley Young dive if you ask me...
  4. Apr 16, 2012

Laidback Levo Reclining

Hardly, your always going to claim it's gone in.
  5. Apr 16, 2012

And that makes it any less deceitful because??

In one instance, you're trying to con the referee into giving your side a penalty by looking for something that you know has not happened. In the other instance, you're trying to con the referee into giving your side a goal by looking for something that you know has not happened.

What's the difference? Apart from stigma?
  6. Apr 16, 2012

King_Eric Full Member

I agree with you. I was thinking the same yesterday evening.
  7. Apr 16, 2012

Gio Full Member

Is it really that clear though? Even the caf, with the benefits of the still photo, can't make its mind up on this one.
  8. Apr 16, 2012

King_Eric Full Member

He was looking at the situation from the best possible position though. I can't imagine he really thought the ball went over the line.
  9. Apr 16, 2012

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

The angle he watches it from, i.e. the angle that certain photo is taken from, shows that the call was a lot closer than we thought, and it might even have been in.

It's human nature to appeal for a goal if you feel the ball may have crossed the line. It's not human nature to kick someone in their foot and throw yourself to the ground.
  10. Apr 16, 2012

moses control

Because Mata is at that angle the photo is taken from where it looks over the line.

Young threw himself to the ground lads, it's not the same as a cheap appeal for a goal or throw in.
  11. Apr 16, 2012

moses control

So a Suarez dive and Evra appealing for a throw he knows is not ours is the same now? We have restructured the world to make Young look less of a diver. Brilliant.
  12. Apr 16, 2012

Why are we taking one still photo and not using the endless video replays that have quite clearly shown, in super slow motion, how the ball did not cross the line?! This is like the handshake-gate all over again!

See above... and sorry, I think it's fair to say Mata didn't know whether the ball had crossed the line or not... and yet he celebrated as if it was a definite goal, that is trying to sway a decision... much in the same way that Young's dive yesterday was trying to sway a deicison. Yes, there was a bit of contact, but Young made sure he won that penalty, much like yes, it might have been a goal, but Mata made sure he scored it.
  13. Apr 16, 2012

Look at the offence... claiming for a throw that you know is not yours is cheating, but it's less villified because the end result isn't as impactful. You win a throw-in that's not yours? Well done, you have possession of the ball... the score remains the same though.

Look at it this way, Ashley Young takes a dive at the half-way line in yesterdays game and wins a meaningless free-kick. How much do we hear about that incident today??

Young most certainly dived, I'm not denying that in any way... i'm just saying that some forms of cheating take precedent over other forms.
  14. Apr 16, 2012

moses control

Look at the offence, you said it. Mata may have thought the ball crossed the line, Young for me had the man beaten but instead played for the peno and then dived. That's why one is getting more shit than the other. So to ask why one s vilified and not the other is obvious, as you say, look at the offence.
  15. Apr 16, 2012

Mata has a better angle then these picture provided (where depth and angle give it credence) ... we know thanks to the magic of tv the ball didn't cross the line, and Mata is at a much shallower, and more acute angle that he probably had a fair bit of doubt in his mind that the ball had not crossed the line.

It is quite hypothetical though, so I take your point. Young's is certainly the more obvious offence, in that he made a calculated decision to play for a penalty and dive, but I would venture Mata has made an equally calculated decision. His celebration was of one that was trying to sway the referee, he wouldn't have been looking at him whilst running off otherwise.

In my mind, if he had just turned and appealed, that would be one thing... the fact that he ran off in a manner of saying "Yes! I've definitely scored a good goal there ref" is a bit decietful.
  16. Apr 16, 2012

Amir Full Member

Calculated decisions aren't made in football when you've got a tenth of a second - at best - to think.

I don't care if players appeal for something, whether it's a throw in or a goal. It's a million miles away from actually doing something as part of that move to make the referee think they deserve it. Totally different levels and not worthy of comparison.
  17. Apr 16, 2012

RedRover Full Member

How exactly does he "know" it hasn't gone in? He might not be sure, but that's not the same.

To me that it isn't the same as diving either - because you are actively trying to con the referee and make something out of nothing.
  18. Apr 16, 2012

Of course they are. So are you saying when Ashley Young feels a bit of contact, he doesn't make the decision to take a dive? Rather that its just natural instinct?
  19. Apr 16, 2012

Amir Full Member

At this stage of his career and life, after so many years in football, it's instinct, certainly not calculated anymore.
  20. Apr 16, 2012

I can't get on board with that. If that's the case, then Young would take similar dives all over the pitch... Young knew he was in the penalty area, and knew that it was an opportunity to take a dive, and thus made a decision accordingly.

Similarly, after Fergie has a word this week, and next week, Young doesn't take a dive over a similar challenge, we will then see that he's made a decision to not dive... and it won't just be that his 'instincts' have changed over night.
  21. Apr 16, 2012

Trionz Banned

What was Assou-Ekoto trying to do there?

And Gallas should have done better.
  22. Apr 16, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

I don't think you can claim Young cheated as there was contact. He certainly made a meal of it and its disrespectful to opponents so I have he cuts it out. Carroll's dive the other week was out and out cheating. Claiming decisions that you shouldn't happen all the time in football. End of the day the referee should have made his decision on what he saw, not Mata's reaction. A strong referee is able to detach a player's reaction from the decision making process
  23. Apr 16, 2012

antihenry Full Member

Because Mata didn't look at that episode in a clear slow motion, as you put it, he was in the middle of the episode in real time and everything happened in a mater of seconds.
    Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part but it's perfectly possible he did think the ball crossed the line.
  24. Apr 16, 2012

towcester_red Full Member

After the shambles last week against QPR I didnt expect to see it from him again! Id be amazed if he isnt called in for a quiet word about it this week.
  25. Apr 16, 2012

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

I reckon it was Mata's celebration which prompted Atkinson to guess the decision.

Both guilty as each other.
  26. Apr 16, 2012

moses control

What about Carroll (and our defenders) v Spurs?
  27. Apr 16, 2012

africanspur Full Member

Shocking decision, was funny how sure he was about the decision as well without even taking a second to think about it or consult with his linesman. The amount of decisions Chelsea have been given against us in the past few seasons is ridiculous.

Decisions change games. For sure. Still doesn't excuse the pathetic attitude of our players once again. Or Redknapp's shocking decision to take off VDV for Defoe (concede 3 goals in 15 minutes after doing that, what a surprise). He's screwed us big time with the England thing. His comments yesterday about the goal were from someone who was more bothered about not pissing off the FA imo.
  28. Apr 16, 2012

:lol:

Shocking.

At least the ref did not give a goal in that game on guesswork. He was simply too far away to give a decision. Benefit of any doubt goes to the defence.
  29. Apr 16, 2012

It was the first thought that came to my mind on hearing the interview.
  30. Apr 16, 2012

kietotheworld Banned

Why?
  31. Apr 16, 2012

antihenry Full Member

That's nonsense. How is it the player's fault?

In virtually every game you have an appeal for a handball from attacking players just because the ball hit some part of a defender's body. They throw arms up in the air and look at a referee, waiting for his reaction. Sometimes it's a trick in an attempt to con the ref, other times the appeal is genuine. But in any case it's the official's responsibility to make the right decision, and nobody else's.
  32. Apr 16, 2012

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    Yeah I don't really buy this whole 'Mata celebrated because he's a cheat' thing, and if that was what Atkinson based his decision on then he needs firing.
  33. Apr 16, 2012

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Yep.
  34. Apr 16, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    Why is football still in the dark ages? There is no reason why we shouldn't know if a goal has/hasn't been scored. All other sports are way ahead of us with regards to using technology.
  35. Apr 16, 2012

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

But then how would we help the unemployment crisis by giving 2 men the chance to stand around with a stick?
  36. Apr 16, 2012

africanspur Full Member

How could we possibly have talking points in the pub afterwards if the officials didn't make at least huge mistake every game?
  37. Apr 16, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Daily Mail's photographs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know how people can have a go at Atkinson really. From his angle it very well could have been over the line.
  38. Apr 16, 2012

Jaap Full Member

Could have? I mean, how clearer do you want it. Ball's over the line or am I seeing things here?
  39. Apr 16, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Top photo is same as the second photo... ish.

Look on the previous page for our late night working it out
  40. Apr 16, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

It could have been over? Oh, well, then he should have given the goal. Well done Mr Atkinson. How he thought that was a goal, yet he couldn't give QPR's goal against Bolton is beyond me. One is definitely over the line, one is very dubious, which one does he give?

I'm gonna look up this ruling, because I'm sure that the ref has to be sure that it's over the line to give a goal.