Fabio Capello

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Sean_RedDevil, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 8, 2012

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Long-term planning? With the FA? Unthinkable!

Unless this is some Arsenal-like 10 year plan your alluding to? In that case I don't support the idea.
  2. Feb 8, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Exactly.

He hasnt done poorly but he hasnt done anything a half decent manager wouldnt have. England have a good bunch coming up, they need someone who'l use that well. Not stuart pearce either.
  3. Feb 8, 2012

towcester_red Full Member

:lol:
  4. Feb 8, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

I always assumed the only reason that hadnt happened was his salary made him virtually unsackable. But yes, I agree with this.
  5. Feb 8, 2012

Zen Full Member

Quite simply...you guys seem to think managers pick all the players. They quite simply don't.

Jol seemed to get the blame for bad signings...ironically, of which were mostly from above his head that he had no clue about either, and unfortunately for him, unlike Redknapp, they didn't work out. Ramos simply wasn't a Prem manager, although obviously, they wouldn't have ended up 18th in that season or whatever when he left, but still clearly wrong team, wrong league for him.
  6. Feb 8, 2012

Aint gota Kalou Full Member

Didn't they give him another contract right before the World Cup started too? The FA really are useless.
  7. Feb 8, 2012

Lance Uppercut Loves turn based games

I am not claiming in anyway that England were putting in impressive performances. They weren't. But when do they ever under any manager? Croatia, Germany, and Holland in '96 stick out. I am sure I am missing some.

My overriding point is, that the players aren't up to the expectations of some of the fans. Yet manager, after manager, after manager takes the flak when they fail.
  8. Feb 8, 2012

noodlehair "It's like..."

How many times are you going to prove yourself hopelessly blind before you stop doing this?

Go and join your mate Randall on the fantasy moon jet. He's already in his seat, talking to Dalglish about what a great captain choice John Terry is, and how Ashley Cole is still the greatest left back in the known universe.
  9. Feb 8, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

You definitely have a point there. But then managers are well remunerated for that. If the buck doesnt stop with them then what is the point in paying them so much money? Which comes back to what I was saying in post 56. Maybe the manager is irrelevant and England just dont have the quality players to do any better. So why not save however many million pounds we waste on these feckwits and spend the money on youth development, that we might in a generation's time have some players that can give a better account of themselves.
  10. Feb 8, 2012

Smores Full Member

This,

To be honest I just want someone in charge who holds some passion for the job. One of the huge disappointments with England has been the lack of personality and with characters like McClaren, Sven, and Capello in charge it doesn't surprise that they've failed to inspire our players or the nation.

Couldn't think of a worse appointment than Pearce, I'd rather have bloody Holloway
  11. Feb 8, 2012

Zen Full Member

I don't know whether I completely agree with that. The manager is to blame for the team being obvious(same XI time and time again) and one dimensional at both the Euros 2004 and World Cup 2006....and Scholes getting out way too early by forcing him to play out of position.

And again, the manager is to blame for really bad selections at both the last two world cups. From what autobiographys have said, the players were up for the Euros in 2004 and definitely the world cup 2002....just one came up against the eventual winners without two key players in Gerrard and Neville and the other, we became obvious and lost a key player in Rooney this time, which meant we went back to the obvious 442 system.
  12. Feb 8, 2012

Clueless.
  13. Feb 8, 2012

I agree with that.

Capello's wages are ludicrous. Who the hell authorised that amount?
  14. Feb 8, 2012

Smores Full Member

Do you honestly think that any of our most recent managers have got the most out of those players?

Each manager has made choices which the fans have disagreed with strongly, that's why they're under such scrutiny.

There's just no defending someone who chooses to play Heskey
  15. Feb 8, 2012

How many of them chose to play Heskey? Don't you think there is a reason for that?
  16. Feb 8, 2012

I'm always right Banned

It was different when Jol was there Zen, you seem to be stuck in the mid 00's :D

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy says Harry Redknapp is a fighter who can avoid the drop: Football - Telegraph
  17. Feb 8, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

Solskjaer for England.
  18. Feb 8, 2012

towcester_red Full Member

Wash your mouth out!

Utd >>> England

They dont deseve him.
  19. Feb 8, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Judging an international team manager is a bit tricky as they always have the "don't have the players" get out clause. With a club manager, it's them that signed the players so there's no excuses.

If you look at the international sides that have won major trophies, without being one of the red-hot favourites, their managers almost always seem to be able to get teams to punch above their weight. To create a team that performs better than you'd expect based on the individual components. I don't think anyone would say that Capello has done this with England.
  20. Feb 8, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Said it better than I ever could Pogue. Bang on the money imo.
  21. Feb 8, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

Ha ha. United > England, definitely.

It is just to give him a bit of experience. He has to manage some smaller clubs before he comes to us. And England is the smallest big club (OK, job) in the world.
  22. Feb 8, 2012

noodlehair "It's like..."

Yes but forget that, or Gareth Barry, or thinking John Terry is an appropriate ambassador as England captain, or the mid torunament player mutinies, or the thinking Jamie Carragher (the fullback, not the centreback) was worth more of an effort than Paul Scholes, or thinking Glen Johnson is good enough to be in the England team while Micah Richards isn't good enough to be in the squad, etc...

If you're really selective about it and ignore several large chunks of reality, this guy has the best record of any England manager in history! You can't argue with that.
  23. Feb 8, 2012

Zen Full Member

I'll take Redknapp admitting he didn't know he was getting two players as a sign he doesn't have complete control, and in the modern game, unless your Fergie(who probably doesn't have 100% control anyway, maybe 80-85%), no manager does anyway, regardless of whats released by PR.
  24. Feb 8, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Which 2 players?

We explained Adebayor to you, the reason he said "I don't know, the chairman is dealing with it" is because that's what Chairman do, they negotiate fees and contracts.

Why are you not getting this?
  25. Feb 8, 2012

So despite all of that, he qualified for the Euros top of the group and unbeaten. Shit, Capello must be the greatest manager in history.
  26. Feb 8, 2012

africanspur Full Member

Right, except I didn't say that did I? I said that Redknapp presents players. Levy will usually then chase up those players, do the negotiations etc. Occassionally, he'll veto Redknapp's suggestion. And sometimes Levy will suggest players, who Redknapp will also have to say yes to for Levy to start chasing. But Levy holds the ultimate power. Its not a coincidence that our buying strategy has changed from Jol--Ramos--Redknapp. Levy hasn't become a Schizophrenic.

Jol got the blame by clueless numpties. And even if those signings weren't his, we had a DoF then, which we no longer do.

Anyway, I feel like you're on a pretty big fishing trip here so I'll leave it there.
  27. Feb 8, 2012

Zen Full Member

Or because well....he didn't know. And the other was clearly VdV, and I gave him credit for Parker, which is well, the three key signings under Harry, since Bale and Modric weren't his, one of which Levy was more key to keeping at Spurs than Harry was.

I think it's clear I know chairmans do the deals since I'm not the one blinded by thinking managers do everything.
  28. Feb 8, 2012

I'm always right Banned

No mate, you think Chairman buy players.

Maybe if you're the Russian or Real Madrid, otherwise the manager ok's deals, certainly. :lol:
  29. Feb 8, 2012

Zen Full Member

Chairman do buy players, and you've just confirmed it by giving a few more examples, thanks son.
  30. Feb 8, 2012

I'm always right Banned

I never denied that son.
  31. Feb 8, 2012

I'm always right Banned

You obviously don't like Redknapp but making out that his dream (Crouch and Defoe) was scuppered by Daniel Levy buying VdV and Adebayor without the manager's know how just makes you sound bitter, from a United fan I don't really get it.

It was obvious Redknapp had told Levy to go after Adebayor and in that he said to let Crouch go, why you deny this is a mystery to me. As Africanspur says, maybe Levy should save some cash and manage the club himself.

You also made a silly point about Modric which added to the bizarre bitterness, saying that only Levy made him stay. Redknapp made it obvious he wanted him to stay, but obviously the buck lies with the chairman.

In short, you have a bizarre irrational hatred of Harry Redknapp.
  32. Feb 8, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    I can't think of any team apart from Greece that everyone didn't expect to win the competition. Italy, Spain, Spain, France, Brasil? All with much better teams than England.
  33. Feb 8, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Now.... back to Capello.
  34. Feb 8, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Italy were not such a "great" team at all, they certainly punched above their weight by winning the WC.
  35. Feb 8, 2012

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

I always get the impression that Harry just goes along with the ideas of everyone around him, and has just fluked his entire Spurs spell. I mean, if he can't write, can't use a computer, then what hope has he of comprehending how to get the best out of his team? And he has like what, 18 assistant managers and Joe Jordan(for kicking the shit out of anyone not behaving).

"Oh, Peter, you want to leave? Stoke suits you better? Perfectly fine."
    "So, Daniel, you want to keep Luka? He's valuable you say? Fine I guess. I promised him he could go to Chelsea though."
    "Oh, Gareth, you want to play more centrally this season? Switch flanks with Aaron you say? Sure."
    "Buy some guy from West Ham? He's a London bloke ey? I'll take that."

This is obviously not true, but it's what I always will believe to have happened. No matter what.
  36. Feb 8, 2012

Zen Full Member

<----- doesn't hate or even dislike Redknapp. Just don't want him as next England manager nor will I overrate his managerial skills like others do.

I dislike Mourinho a lot, but I'd want him as England manager.
  37. Feb 8, 2012

I'm always right Banned

:lol:
  38. Feb 8, 2012

I hope 'Arry gets it at some point. I look forward to seeing his buddies in the press trying to paint every feck up as some kind of achievement.
  39. Feb 8, 2012

Zen Full Member

[​IMG]

I'm with Lance. Nothing better than the press contradicting themselves.
  40. Feb 8, 2012

Guy Incognito Full Member

With regards to Redknapp as England manager, I don't expect him to wield the axe on players and experiment on a new system. Case of same old, same old more likely. Which is part of the problem with the national team.

Expectation and media pressure will make 'Arry like some sort of 'savior' which he isn't. One poor result against a Germany or France and he will unfortunately get hounded, no matter how strong his media links are.