Fabrice Muamba | Is taking a LMA managers course

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by jojojo, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mar 4, 2018

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    The sad news about Astori's death made me think of Fabrice Muamba, the Bolton player who collapsed in a FA Cup tie against Spurs, back in 2012. Anyone watching the game that day will remember that the medical staff rushed to him when he collapsed - and that a Spurs fan, a cardiologist joined them to help them keep his heart alive. He effectively had no heart beat of his own for over an hour. Amazingly, he recovered well enough to walk out smiling from hospital few weeks later. So I wondered what happened next.

Apparently he already had an armful of GCSEs and A Levels so he went to university and got a degree in sports journalism, that was back in 2015. He's stayed in football doing some coaching with various clubs including Liverpool. He's now doing a LMA (League Managers Association) diploma course - which means he's got (at least) a UEFA A Coaching licence already.

Here's him winning the Dads sprint at his son's school sports day.
    [​IMG]
  2. Mar 4, 2018

Varun Moderator Staff

Fantastic. Safe to say, everyone's rooting for him to make it!
  3. Mar 4, 2018

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Good to hear. Was 100 % certain he was a goner while watching that game.
  4. Mar 4, 2018

Arbitrium Supposed to be taking a year off

His recovery defies medical logic. That’s why the word miracle exists.
  5. Mar 4, 2018

Hans Wurst New Member

Very good to hear, I remember that game - or rather incident - very well, especially the large amount of time his heart wasn't beating. I'm glad that he has recovered so well and is able to continue having a career in football.

His wife's (?) comment on the picture is great too :lol:
  6. Mar 4, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Brilliant. Glad to see him doing well.
  7. Mar 4, 2018

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    Incidentally, I don't think it's all been plain-sailing for him. He's involved with a number of mental health charities and campaigns, including ones that try to help ex-players who've suffered from depression, addiction and other problems on leaving the game. BT did a documentary with him last summer including interviews from other players who had to retire early, it's called "Fabrice Muamba: A Life of two halves" and if anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know. If it's on the BT site they've hidden it from me. :smirk:

He's still a young man (he won't be 30 until April) and he's obviously a fighter, but I think he's still working hard to build himself and his family a new life.
  8. Mar 4, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

People underestimate the financial impact it would have on his family.
  9. Mar 4, 2018

Vidyoyo Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert

Good to see. Hopefully he'll build a lovely new stadium too.

P.S. I hope people get this reference and don't think I'm being mean.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  10. Mar 4, 2018

Arbitrium Supposed to be taking a year off

I hope I’m not speaking out of turn, but I imagine the situation would be worse if when he was playing, he was living the life of a premier league footballer I.e. getting used to certain luxuries. He might have a mortgage on a 2 million quid house for all we know. There’s no way with his qualifications now and his story that he can’t make a good living, he could hone his public speaking skills and would be a very in demand after dinner speaker/motivational speaker.
  11. Mar 4, 2018

Isotope Full Member

Smart guy.
  12. Mar 4, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

He was a millionaire before he had to retire and got a huge payout from insurance (the remainder of his 3 year contract on £35K a week). He never has to work again.

He would've earned a few more million for sure but it's hard to wrap my head around the difference between having £5 million or £10 million.
  13. Mar 4, 2018

yumtum DUX' bumchum

In the grand scheme of things, he's probably the luckiest man alive, not many cheat death, he seems to be very smart, has a family, a multimillionaire by the age of 25.

Hope he lives a long life, hesh only two years older than me, and that incident shook me to my core, still gives me the willies thinking about how he just drops.
  14. Mar 4, 2018

Skills Snitch

There's a big difference. Him & his family were living a 35k a week lifestyle that was expected to last more than 6 years (plus raises) to now having to use 3 years worth of earnings to plan for the rest of their lives. Pretty sure they would've had to make some big changes/downscale pretty quickly.
  15. Mar 4, 2018

arthurka Full Member

It was terrible to watch .. Great to see that he is doing well..
  16. Mar 4, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

I really feel for the guy having to give up on a playing career as it's a dream job (it was my dream job!). Can't say I feel bad for anyone who is a millionaire, gets another few million and then has the rest of their life to do almost anything they want.