Falcao admits discussing draw with Peru during game

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Hellboy, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:23.

1. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:23

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

No he didn't, he told an opponent with 5 minutes remaining, that as it stands, we're both through.

Chile were losing 2-0 at that time, yet just one goal from Chile would've changed everything so...
  2. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:24

BananaIceman New Member

"Sportsmanship matters but not for the sake of risking your spot in the World Cup, the players have an obligation first and foremost to their own supporters, staff and organisation/employers."
    I respect your opinion but disagree wholeheartedly. I can't change your morals so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Since this is my last post allowed for the day: to the poster above, you have ZERO knowledge of what Falcao's exact words were despite his interview. The FACT is, he tried to manipulate the outcome of the game which is the definition of match fixing.

BobbyManc: No, that isn't what every footballer does. Playing the game and trying to win with tactics, skills, and teamwork through proper sportsmanship is what every footballer should be doing. Like I said, he tried to "manipulate" the outcome of the match through other means which is the opposite of what I just said. Don't extrapolate the meaning of the word.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 20:03
  3. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:31

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Hear hear.
  4. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:36

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Isn't that what every footballer does when they step onto the pitch? What Falcao did was no different. There was nothing prearranged, only the circumstances of the game dictated that it was in the interests of both teams to accept the result as it was in the closing stages. You can find plenty of games every season where two teams, without any prior collusion, have settled for a draw towards the end of a match.
  5. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:39

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

True that.

And what if Falcao just made it up, what if in reality Chile were drawing 2-2 and he just wanted to feck with them to help his own team.
  6. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:57

ChrisNelson Full Member

That’s not the same as arranging a result though is it! The 11 players on the pitch are still expected to keep the integrity of the game by attempting to win, otherwise it’s not even football in my eyes.
    Squad rotation is totally different.
  7. Oct 12, 2017 at 20:10

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

That's why the Peruvians checked with their bench, they are not stupid.

I'm baffled at the use of the term match-fixing. All games started at the same time for a reason. They all had a go in their respective games, they attacked, Colombia scored, Peru drew level...

Then you find out Chile are out, Paraguay is losing, you are both getting what you set out to achieve (NOT being out, which could only be guaranteed with a win before the other results came through).

You chill and play out the game. You are a fool otherwise. Just ask that WHU defender twatting a clearance into Gerrard's path in injury time instead of faffing about by the corner flag (FA CUP 06).
  8. Oct 12, 2017 at 20:20

RedFish Full Member

Exactamundo
  9. Oct 12, 2017 at 20:51

Slimcharles69 New Member

Same shit. They're manipulating a result by deciding not to try and win the game anymore with minutes to go. Or did he have to tell them with 90 mins remaining to be considered match fixing??
  10. Oct 12, 2017 at 20:58

Well, I can think of several degrees of unethical deviation.

What?
    1. Arranging a result against your team's interest
    2. Arranging a result that is indifferent to your team (e.g. already disqualified) but affects a third party
    3. Arranging a mutually beneficial result

When?
    1. Pre-game
    2. Half-time
    3. Late in the game

Why?
    1. Money or other inducement
    2. Threats on you/your family
    3. No personal/individual gain

How?
    1. Secretly, without consultation
    2. Openly and in consensus

Your problem with this boils down to him informing the others that they would both benefit from calming down and leaving the score as is. The Peruvians consulted and agreed it was win-win. The spectators invested in the game and partial to either side were delighted and maybe a heart attack or two were prevented. Big deal... :rolleyes:

As someone said, the affected party (Chile) had 18 games to collect the points and goals. They didn't. They even concocted to protest an irrelevant ineligible player on a certain interpretation of the rules, beyond the deadline to complain, and pursued it for months... only for that to give more points and GD to Peru. The very goal and/or point they lacked :lol:
  11. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:06

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Yeah, exactly this. I do not understand what people were expecting the Colombians and Peruvians to do. It is beyond ludicrous to suggest they should risk jeopardising their place at the World Cup, the most prestigious tournament in football and arguably the entire world of sport, that only occurs once every four years, for the sake of 'sportsmanship'. In fact, I dare even say it would have been unsportsmanlike if Colombia/Peru had decided to play counter-productively to what their needs were at the team, and what the wants of their millions of supporters were. As a City fan, and I know United fans can relate, I've seen plenty of teams come to the Etihad with literally zero intention of trying to win. In fact, I've seen teams play to lose by as few goals as possible, with no attempt to score once they fall behind. I do not know why all of a sudden it is apparently some unwritten code of conduct in the game that you always, regardless of the circumstances, have to play to win.
  12. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:19

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

You mean match fixing? Yes, it's like the worst thing you can do in the eyes of FIFA.
  13. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:23

Shane88 Full Member

Could probably get him for "Bringing the game into disrepute" but not match-fixing.
  14. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:25

You don't have to play to win but when you collude with others about fixing the result then that is, by the very definition, match fixing. To try and equate a team that parks the bus to another team that actively seeks out the other team to fix the result is a ludicrous statement. You can dare to say that it's unsportsmanlike to play for the win but you're only daring yourself to claim silly things and at the same time calling Peru out for what you call unsportsmanlike behavior since they claimed to have played for the win even after Falcao's proposal.

There's a reason competitions have rules about fielding your strongest team possible etc. It's to combat this type of behavior.

Why not just try and bribe the the refs every match? You're only trying to win to get to the most prestigious tournament. Why not just take out Messi in one unclean tackle? Argentina aren't much without him. Why not dive to win a penalty? Where exactly do your draw the line here?
  15. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:27

rampo New Member

Thanks for posting that. This part is just brilliant

16. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:35

Rake Full Member

I think that people are more surprised that he actually was stupid enough to admit it. I can't imagine that someone thought such things weren't happening in football
  17. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:36

Camilo Full Member

Seems a reasonable thing to do. Footballers aren't allowed to know what the score of other football games are? And aren't allowed to communicate that to other players? He'd have to be some man to convince 21 other players to stop playing. Nothing in it.
  18. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:45

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Well you draw the line before all the things you just listed. And the definition of match-fixing is predetermining the result of a game before it is played. That did not happen here, both sides played as normal until the latter stages when the players applied common sense and realised it was in neither side's interest to go for the three points.

Granted, the unsportsmanlike claim I made was fallacious, but my point still stands. We cannot seriously expect Peru and Colombia to have spent the last five minutes trying to win, because they had no need to. I've not watched the game, but unless they literally just sat on the ball for the last five minutes, I do not see the problem. The players conversing was superfluous anyway, the instruction from both managers would surely have been to the same effect.
  19. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:51

That's not the definition of match-fixing. Trying to determine the outcome of a match by any means is match-fixing and one aspect of that is deliberately play to a certain result.

It didn't happen there because Peru didn't take Falcao and Columbia up on that but that doesn't mean he didn't attempt it. He admitted it himself and that admission was confirmed by Peru's captain. It doesn't matter at all how much of the game had been played, that's irrelevant to what Falcao was trying to do.
  20. Oct 12, 2017 at 22:01

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    What did you expect to happen in the last few minutes if neither side needed to win but would suffer if they conceded? Whether the decision by both sides to not risk defeat towards the end was implicit or explicit, the outcome would have been the same.
  21. Oct 12, 2017 at 22:21

Snowjoe Enjoys hatching eggs for people

If you’re the team who could be knocked out or lose a title because two other teams have done enough with a draw to achieve their goal then you’re the one to blame for your position, it’s not like they’ve taken away the opportunity for gaining enough points.

It’s not like they’ve agreed to fix a match for money either, that’d be a different story. I’d expect every team in the land to settle for draws if it was in both teams interests.
  22. Oct 12, 2017 at 22:31

Redlyn Full Member

I'm not sure anything you have said makes it alright to go ahead and outright request from the other team they play out a certain result. No matter that the spectators were ok with it or that Chile had had other opportunities. Go ahead and play however it suits you but not verbally instigate collusion. In my opinion.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 22:37
  23. Oct 12, 2017 at 23:34

Yeah, that's what I expected when I read about him mouthing off unnecessarily.
  24. Oct 12, 2017 at 23:42

NieThePiet New Member

Supports:
    Werder Bremen, Arsenal
    He told the truth, whats the point? Perus player still can decide if they want to play for the win or not. If Chile would score on goal against Brazil (2:1), Peru would be out. Peru could risk it to win and lose everything.

I'm happy, that Falcao told the truth after the game. Once Junuzovic and Fritz got a yellow on purpose one game before the Bayern match (to miss this). After the game, they told the press that there yellow was on purpose and both got a fine.
  25. Oct 12, 2017 at 23:49

septic Full Member

Nothing will come of this because it's a nothing story fgs
  26. Oct 12, 2017 at 23:58

So when a fullback getting a runaround and losing 4-0 asks for the winger to take it easy. Is that match fixing? There may even be a threat of retaliation (usually there is).

Falcao can ask whatever he wants. There's no incentive offered other than the Peruvians' self-interest and they are free to make up their minds as to what to do.

He could and should have spared FIFA the prompt to address something.
  27. Oct 13, 2017 at 00:14

meninred New Member

I am suprised Fifa hasnot started inquiry on possible match fixing - not because Falcao said so or not but to protect the beautiful game.Maybe no Team complained.
  28. Oct 13, 2017 at 00:21

LennonNL nipple flasher

I can’t be arsed finding the film thread but it needs to be said: The Accountant is one of the stupidest films I’ve ever watched.
  29. Oct 13, 2017 at 00:40

Flytan New Member

One of those things an athlete should never admit to even if it's obvious you're thinking about it
  30. Oct 13, 2017 at 05:56

johnamiri New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Is it illegal to talk to the opposition. I don't see what anybody could do about it.
  31. Oct 13, 2017 at 16:24

lawliet354 Full Member

Why are people talking about match-fixing?? Falcao talk to opponent players that they both will go through if they draw, Peru can still push for a win though, yet they didn't push for a win and happy about the draw instead

It's just the way it is, such a non story, no way he's gonna get banned, people are delusional for thinking about this in the first place, he can discuss whatever things he want with the opponent, the opponent also has their own choice what to do

Even Portugal and Hungary did it last Euros and nobody give a shit whatsoever, they both got through and one of them ended up winning the tournament