FC Bayern 16/17 discussion

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Cristiano Lell, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 9, 2016

Cristiano Lell Global FA Rules Expert

Supports:
    Bayern München
    With Pep out and Carlo in, the changes at executive and board level, summer transfers (or lack thereof), and not least the many, many Bayern fans on this forum, I suppose a thread for the FCB is reasonable.

- let's start off by taking a look at our transfers and squad

In:

Mats Hummels, central defense, 27 years old, 35m € fee (tranfermarkt has 35m, 38m were widely reported which Rummenigge the other day said was "a wrong and too high number")
    Renato Sanches, midfield, 18, 35m € + GAZILLIONS

Niklas Dorsch (midfield, 18) and Fabian Benko (winger/AM, 18) promoted to the first team, whatever that means (on top of a couple preseason appearances). There is also Julian Green (21).

Out:

Mario Götze, 24, attacking midfield, to BVB for 22m €
    Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg, 20, midfield, to Southampton for 15m €
    Sebastan Rode, 25, midfield, to BVB for 12m €
    Mehdi Benatia, 29, central defense, on loan to Juventus (3m loan fee + 17m transfer fee which becomes obligatory after a number of games played, reportedly)
    and, yes, Serdan Tasci, 29, central defense, returns to Moscow after his 6 months loan spell has ended

Transfer expenses this summer so far thus are ~70m spent, ~50m received, which pretty much evens out the net spending when we consider Benatia's future fee.

Our squad then:

GKs: Neuer, Ulreich, Starke
    Defense: Rafinha, Alaba, Lahm, Bernat, Hummels, Boateng, Badstuber, Martinez
    Midfield: Alonso, Vidal, Thiago, Sanches, Kimmich, Dorsch
    Attackers: Robben, Ribéry, Costa, Coman, Müller, Lewandowski, Benko, Green

----------------------------------------------------------------

A few observations ..

- on the transfers, I'm sad to see Höjbjerg finally severing all ties, but with Sanches coming in this is only logical. He has not improved in a way that makes him good enough to play regularly for us, and he needs to play regularly to become a top player.
    Typical crunch time situation paradox for a young player, only in the rarest of cases it works out for a sufficient game time at an elite level club.
    Hummels for Benatia, yeah well. I for one am pretty excited about this CB pairing, even though Hummels will have to be at his best to keep a fit Badstuber out. Benatia is a fine defender who never was fit and seems to have never settled in München.

- Götze, it was high time for him to leave. Discussed in detail elsewhere, I just want to clearly say what a terrible idea the transfer has proven to be. It had bad karma written over it from the beginning, and in retrospect I'm going to label it as a Bayern power trip at its worst.
    As always, (also with Benatia), I'm kind of happy we don't play hardball with regards to transfer fees involving players who want to leave, have become surplus to requirement and have done nothing wrong; maybe this shows... Err.. ahem.. that at FC Bayern the treatment of players is somewhat more.. fair and humane...:nervous:
    However it also means we're not making a lot of money off the sales of players in perfectly well demand.

- not a lot of investment in the squad, if I dare say. Two true first team level additions, one of which happens to be still a teenager, with 3 somewhat regular players leaving, along with one of the highest rated midfield talents of our youth.
    Generally of course I like our somewhat conservative, controlled and focused approach on the transfer market, it has been quite gratifying in the last few years.
    However I start to feel like, with a number of top clubs out there investing mercilessly, we are walking a fine line if we want to expect the best of best results with lower financial effort than other top clubs.
    We can pad our backs about our reasonable club running as much as we want, at some point something's got to give.
    Like in the case of Pep, we can't continually lowball with investments (we spend very little on players for Pep, relatively speaking) just because we have a great team that won the TREBLE, yet expect to walk the CL every year.

I feel, and this feeling has ripened with the way Pep's achievements have been treated by some, that we need to, slightly, readjust either our investments or our expectations.

- which brings me to my main point. Am I missing something here? Or do we NEED A FECKING STRIKER?!
    I'm puzzled why everybody is so calm, when we have only ONE true striker in Lewandowski in the squad.
    It used to be thin when Pizza was still there, who was never fit either, but now I'm getting pretty restless.
    I know of no other top team, any team really, that has only one out and out striker in their squad. How the feck do we think this works?
    Now, are we really thinking that bloody Julian Green, who's attitude was ruined by Klinsmann to the point where he became too grandstanding to make the squad loaned to HSV, and who has been nothing but a decent 4th division player, is anywhere good enough to be part of the squad, let alone be our backup CF?!?
    This is serious, and it's worrying I hear noone else being worried.

Now obviously Müller can play striker, Robben has a lot of goals in him etc pp, but do we really rely on that? Robben is injured, and the Euros have proven we can't automatically assume Müller to be a match winner all the time. What if Müller's atrocious form carries on into the season?
    What if, god forbid, one of Lewa or Müller is injured?
    It is known to have happened to football players, even if them two seem pretty resistant.

- I also feel we're thin in CBs. Boateng is injured, Hummels and especially Badstuber both injury prone. Badstuber can not be really counted as a reliable member to be honest, even if he's so incredibly good.
    Martinez wrecked knee also happened after all.

- looking forward to a Vidal-Thiago midfield double pivot. They bossed against Inter and they are such a great combo.

- still feel like Carlo is the perfect Pep successor, if not mainly in footballing terms than in terms of authority and man management. Pep leaves a huge energy and authority vacuum with players, and Carlo seems to be able to cushion that easily.

- as for the football under Carlo, I'm expecting a slight downturn to be honest, at least in the league. Let's not kid ourselves, Pep was the best league coach we ever had, the consistency was scary, and Carlo is not famous for being such.
    I'm not trying to be coquet when I say I honestly don't expect us to win the Bundesliga this season. After BVB's top player exodus our chances might have risen again, but it's just what I feel. Four times in a row, after all.
    What do you guys expect? And how would you feel about not winning the league?

- other points of discussion:
    Uli Hoeness becoming president again from November on, Sammer's departure as chief sporting executive with no replacement yet. These are quite serious changes and I don't know just yet how to judge them.

Let's go!

Supercup against BVB up next
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Aug 9, 2016

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

I think Bayern definitely needs another CB for depth.
  3. Aug 9, 2016

RooneyLegend Full Member

They need someone to replace Robben as their final third destroyer in chief. He hasn't been able to stay fit during the pivotal time in the past two seasons and they've paid for it.
  4. Aug 9, 2016

Sphaero Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi

Supports:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Depends how the internal outlook is for Badstuber. If this is positive they have more than enough.

If there are hurting in terms of depth somewhere, it is in the offense. Ribery and Robben have aged and are injury prone (the Dutch is out until end of August already and misses nearly the whole pre season). That leaves them with Costa, Coman, Müller and Lewandowski as serious offensive options. I feel they really bank on the indestructible nature of the last two. A serious injury on either of them or a simple slump could hurt them really bad, Green (he is 21 already?!) and Benko can´t be answer here, especially in the CL.
  5. Aug 9, 2016

Adisa Full Member

Very surprised they haven't invested in another winger.
  6. Aug 9, 2016

Supports:
    Bayern München
    We are fine with wingers in Robbery + Coman, Costa, and Benko.
    We need another STRIKER.
  7. Aug 9, 2016

Ish Lights on for Luke

I was about to say you missed Ribery. Then I checked, and thought you actually missed Robben. Slow day for me :lol:
  8. Aug 9, 2016

Supports:
    Bayern München
    And it took me 10 minutes, and a reply completely missing the point which I had to delete, to understand your perfectly intelligible post.
    Even slower day for me it seems :lol:
  9. Aug 9, 2016

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Is Kimmich likely to be groomed into Lahm's heir for RB, or was that just a NT thing? Bar the (admittedly sort of major) hiccup he made against France, I definitely thought it was a role he could grow into.

And do you expect the club to be done with transfers entirely for the summer?
  10. Aug 9, 2016

Suedesi Full Member

Did you forget about Koman? How much did that cost?
  11. Aug 9, 2016

Supports:
    Bayern München
    Coman is on a two year loan, he'll cost something like 25m € next summer.
    So yes, you could count that as well, but then it's rather last summer when he joined,
  12. Aug 9, 2016

2ndTouch Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    My thoughts

Transfers

Not much to complain. We've made two quality signings who almost certainly will be first teamers and improve us. The guys we sold fetched us some good money and won't be missed.
    I'm ok with the size of our squad. Carlo isn't exactly known to be a big supporter of frequent rotation, so downsizing seems logical. In addition, we have a lot of flexible players who can fill out different positions, if needed.

Squad

Defense: Our GK/Back 4 combo is among -if not the- best Europe has to offer. In Rafinha, Kimmich, Javi, Holger and Bernat we have high quality back ups for each position bar that of Neuer. As long as Manu stays fit, we'll be fine.

Midfield: Here I see a possible weak link. Thiago needs to prove he can live up to the expectations linked to a playmaker of a european giant. Apart from him, we only have old man Xabi to orchestrate our build up. Some people argue, we might get away without a proper DLP because of Boateng and Hummels, but I'm not one of them. If Thiago catches another injury or simply underperforms, we'll face trouble.
    On the B2B/DM side of things we're pretty much golden with Vidal, Sanches, Martinez and Kimmich.

Attack: Carlo is likely to play some kind of 433 formation most of the time. That leaves us with 6 players (Rib, Rob, Lewa, Müller, Costa, Coman) for 3 positions. Even with Ribery and Robben missing out on half the season as usual, I consider this being enough. They all need gametime, and we have to avoid any of them getting frustrated from extended benchtimes.
    I just hope Franck and Arjen will have their injury downtimes in more convenient moments, and not during crunchtime.

Outlook

Anything between a treble and a season devoid of silverware could happen. Too many variables to make a less vague prediction. Squad fitness/bad luck with injuries will decide on a lot, CL always requires a certain amount of luck, too, and Dortmund will give us a run for our money on the domestic side of things.
    Dortmund looks very hungry, and they are, as I think, stronger than last year. We cannot allow ourselves a moment of complacency, or they'll be there to capitalize on it.
    My expectation is us to continue playing great football, and compete for all trophies as long as possible. As long this requirement is met, I won't be mad if we don't win anything in the end.
  13. Aug 9, 2016

adexkola American Arse

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Is Müller back from vacation? He had a horrendous Euros.
  14. Aug 9, 2016

Ish Lights on for Luke

:lol: ffs.
  15. Aug 9, 2016

Supports:
    Bayern München
    Two very good questions.

The first is tricky, and I'm wondering about it too. Generally, Kimmich should be regarded as a CM or CDM.
    During the first part of last season most of us were wanting him to be played mainly in place of/in rotation with Alonso, and he was played there a number of times, and he did great.

Then, after Kimmich was deployed by Pep as a defender (CB), and Kimmich was included in the NT squad, the idea started floating how he would do at RB.
    I'm not sure, he might've been used by Pep as RB once in a winter break friendly or something, or maybe I'm mistaken and he never actually played there for us. I should check that.
    It feels like that idea was blossoming on a ground nourished by Lahm's retirement at NT level, his looming retirement at Bayern, the general conflation of full back, centre back and midfield positions/players during Pep's reign lol, so it somehow seemed a logical idea.

OF COURSE we would love to have a Lahm successor growing in Kimmich. And I think most of us were delighted, for a change, with Löw actually trying it out during the tournament.
    However, I'm not sure whether he will actually be a great defender, his NT performances at the Euros were charming but somewhat inconclusive, as were his CB performances.
    His midfield performances have always been spot on, however.

So I guess my answer is that I think we'll try to groom him into a possible right back, but only wishing won't make it so, and I hope we don't lose sight of what he can provide at midfield too.
    I might remind us that at some point we also hoped Rode could become a Lahm successor. Didn't happen.

As for the second question, all public utterances of club official claim our transfers are done, along with the usual self-congratulatory stuff how we were "ahead of the market".

Personally I worry that it will be the market who will have the last laugh, and hope we are adding two more players, an attacker and a CB.
    It's just tricky what kind of players they should be - whether young prospects who don't expect to start yet, seasoned veteran players who don't mind sitting on the bench abit, or something in between. It's hard to find just the right combination, but I repeat, I think we're thin.
  16. Aug 9, 2016

2ndTouch Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    I think grooming him into Lahms successor is his best chance of becoming a valuable enough asset for a spot in our first team. Contrary to a lot of people, I do not rate him high enough to deserve a spot in our CM.
    He's a great talent, but he's not a Toni Kroos level type of talent. He lacks the playmaking capabilities we need there, and for the B2B/DM roles we already have people who are better at this job.

Imo, we're stacked with enough options for the CB position. As for strikers, both Lewa and Müller are too robust to justify another signing here. The exception could be to get someone who's very experienced and not too fussed about being a bench option most of the time. I wouldn't mind getting us someone like Klose, but any player with intact ambitions would do us more harm than good, I reckon.
  17. Aug 9, 2016

Supports:
    Bayern München
    I do agree we have enough top quality options at CB.
    However I fear the majority of those options have a higher than average chance to be out injured. As I said above, I love Badstuber but at this moment I feel unable to regard him as a reliable squad member.
    That's the problem with injury prone players, it makes squad planning so tricky. Makes no sense to buy a top CB, whether young or in his prime, when they'll be on the bench behind Hummels+Boateng, and possibly even Badstuber. So I guess and hope you're right, but I'm slightly paranoid.

In attack, similar problem. You are right in that Lewa and Müller are rarely ever injured. You are also right in that, if we play a 4-3-3, Lewa and Müller are enough for the CF position. But let's think about, do you think it will most of the time be such a 4-3-3? Meaning one of Lewa and Müller on the bench? Can't see that happening. Or where do you see Müller in a 4-3-3? What would be the midfield be?

We played a 4-3-3 against Real with a midfield of Alonso-Vidal-Thiago, and against Inter with Vidal-Thiago midfield and Pantovic as AM, however you want to name it.
    In the Real game, I feel like the choice was also influenced by our lack of any attacking players. The wingers were Bernat and Lahm lol with even Ribery being out.

So bottom line, I expect, when all options are available, a lineup in which both of Müller and Lewa are supposed to start, and I feel like another striker is needed to provide backup and, yes, competition to those. Noone should be without competition to start at FCB, and frankly Lewandowski more or less is.

I might add that personally I'd prefer not to see Julian Green as part of the Bayern first team ever again. I'd take Gomez back no questions asked, even if I guess he'd still prefer to be starting, somewhere else. Hell I'd even prefer fecking Balotelli to Green :lol:
  18. Aug 9, 2016

2ndTouch Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    In case of a nightmare scenario, we can still improvise with Alaba and Kimmich. Heck, we can even dig out Feldhahn, who looked surprisingly good during the US tour.

Carlo already stated where his preferences lie. While we might see a 442 like formation from time to time, I believe 433 will be the norm. Müller can also play RW as he did in countless games for us, but to me it's pretty clear we'll see less of the Lewa/Müller combo than before.
  19. Aug 9, 2016

Blackwidow Full Member

Müller is fine.

That is the training of today. I liked the 2vs2 and 1vs1 exercises they did from about minute 35 (or -54) on. Müller/Lewa vs Hummels/Lahm and Thiago/Vidal vs Bernat/Martinez are a treat. Or how Thiago against Hummels...

Interesting are the differences to Guardiola's training sessions.

The training match at the end was won by Starke, Rafinha, Alaba, Hummels, Müller and Green by a couple of goals.

With the defender discussion a lot always seem to forget Martinez.

And about Müller as a striker... Bayern was always best when it was striker and Müller. Striker alone against packed defenses does not really work great either - that is why Lewy is always emphasizing how important Müller for his gameplay is. But - I thought Pep has already let them play different when Müller is the striker last season. With Thiago and Vidal on the 8 - or Sanches now - who move better into the box - Müller scored in 4 of the 5 matches he was the only striker last season. The other match was the 5:1 against Wolfsburg in which Lewy came in after halftime and scored 5.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  20. Aug 9, 2016

Enigma_87 You know who

How is Niklas Dorsch developing these days? Last year he was thought to be the next big thing among young German midfielders, haven't heard a lot about him this year.
  21. Aug 9, 2016

Supports:
    Bayern München
    I've ranted already, but what are your thoughts about Green, people?
    Should he stay in the squad?
    Do you like him?

I'll repeat myself and say that we should cash in on the extra 250k transfer fee his hat trick against Inter might bring, and go for a backup CF whom it wouldn't be completely embarrassing to throw on in a CL game. That can't be too much to ask.
  22. Aug 9, 2016

MartialsBeard Banned

I think Bayern will be fun and energetic to watch again this season, some of the games with Pep in charge were LVG esque.
  23. Aug 9, 2016

Supports:
    Bayern München
    Can you elaborate on that?
    Which differences do you see, and in what sense would you say they are interesting?
  24. Aug 9, 2016

schwalbe Full Member

Supports:
    Fc Bayern München
    Not even close to being good enough, does not even stand out in the second team.
    I think we should have been in for Jese, he could have been a good addition. I don't know if that was possible though. That's my only complaint, that we are missing someone in the front. With the usual injuries incoming, our attacking options will be kinda thin.
  25. Aug 11, 2016

Blackwidow Full Member

With Guardiola Rondos and everything you try to get with it - like e.g. better and cleaner passing, for the defenders better pressing resistance, positional awareness was a big part of the training sessions. When he made training exercises he mainly used exercises with many components in one - combined e.g. passing, shooting, condition work in one.

Ancelotti does not work so much with rondos - sometimes but not as a big part of the training work. Guardiola at the beginning even used to interrupt them a lot to correct things. And his training exercises are more focused on one thing and not multifunctional. And individuality seems to get more important again.

The main ingredients at Bayern are given. I do not think that Ancelotti will change too much. He is smart enough not to make a big revolution. But after three years of Guardiola some tweaks for sure will be made and actually have to be made.

It is interesting that not just Ribery but Thiago have performed great in the season preparation. I think for Thiago - so Pep was helping him a lot to start his career - the change is important, too. The special of Thiago is that he mixes that brazilian playful style with the La Masia school of passing - but exactly that risky play was what Pep disliked very often. Looks great when it works - but slobby and careless when it does not.

I think that the main change with Ancelotti will be that the players will have more freedom again. We will see a Ribery show more often, more of Thiago and Müller will be able to run more like he wants and not like he is ordered to - just more spectacle. I expect more goals this season but the defensive record might be worse than before - Neuer will not like this...
  26. Aug 11, 2016

Piratesoup Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    To answer both questions:
    I like him, he is a fun kind of player.
    He needs to be sold asap. He was never and will never be a player good enough to play for us, not even as a squad player. I completely agree with the idea of cashing in on his little US-hype.
  27. Aug 11, 2016

Blackwidow Full Member

I see it from two perspectives. From the Bayern side he is ok to take some minutes from Lewy's or Müller's clock and to give them some rest - even if I would need a result I would not substitute him in but others.

From his own - I doubt that that will be good for his own career. He needs to move on as on the long run he just is not good enough and will not be.
  28. Aug 11, 2016

2ndTouch Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    I hope for Green to start in the Supercup game against Dortmund. If he manages to pull off another decent performance there, we might be able to ship him to some PL club for 15ish or more million:drool:
  29. Aug 11, 2016

pierrethesnack Full Member

Wild prediction: They will win the Bundesliga.
  30. Aug 12, 2016

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

31. Aug 12, 2016

Blackwidow Full Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  32. Aug 12, 2016

Supports:
    Bayern München

Thanks for the reply.
    I too think Ancelotti will not change too much. It might be we'll have phases during games where we sit deeper and ease on the possession. I'm ok with that as long as we retain our ability to press high with the goal of dominating possession in the opponents half. I wouldn't want to lose this wonderful part of Pep's game.

Funnily, I have a very similar feeling about Thiago. It's even one of the things I've felt most strongly about in preseason (obviously there might be a lot of wishful thinking involved) - that Thiago could make a last decisive step up, paradoxically, under Ancelotti as opposed to Pep. I'm really, really looking forward to our midfield this season.

Yeah well obviously I don't have anything against him as a person lol, just don't think he should be an option for us.

The last part is what bothers me though.

Why would we have someone in the squad who clearly (I think we can agree that it's as clear as something like that can be) has not enough quality to provide a decent replacement when needed, or even a boost in some games?

Why can't we have a striker on the, yes, BENCH, that would deserve to get game time, even if he can't start ahead of Müller or Lewandowski?
    At top clubs, good players have to sit outside.
    I realize that as a general principle it's good to give players a certain perspective.
    But BVB has a player like Ramos sitting on the bench, City has had a player like Bony sitting on the bench (Dzeko in earlier years), we had Gomez on the bench in our treble season, after all.
    It's not ideal for these players, and maybe the arrangement isn't made to last in most cases, but that's part of being at a top club, no? Ramos is staying at BVB despite not starting ahead of Auba anytime soon.
    Leverkusen have Kiessling, Chicharito, Volland. Schalke have Huntelaar, Di Santo, Embolo. Man United have Zlatan, Martial, Rashford, even Rooney. Liverpool have Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino, and Benteke+Balotelli as surplus.
    Random examples, not each one equivalent, but my point should have become clear-

Why don't we have a decent backup striker?! Not to hurt anyone's feelings, or not to complicate anyone's easy career path, isn't a reason.
  33. Aug 12, 2016

CookieMonster Full Member

Supports:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree with you guys, the FCB could definently use a back up for Lewandowski on the bench.

One thing to me is clear, there is no use buying a talented striker who could develop to replace Lewandowski, because he would never develop that way sitting on the bench and the prices for talented players with that kind of talent are just way too high.
    So as long as Reschke (who is awesome and our best transfer from leverkusen ever, even ahead od Ballack, Ze Roberto and Jupp) doesn't once again pull some great talent out of his hat Bayern should buy an older, proven goalscorer.

As a backup central forward I think we already had the ideal solution in Pizarro.
    He's a great striker, has lots of experience, is always happy (so great for the team spirit) and an immediate impact subsititute. Unfortunately he's also at Bremen, saving their asses from relegation season after season, so we can't steal him back from Werder again, because they just belong in the Bundesliga.

It would probably also be a nice added bonus, if the back up striker was a real threat at headers for corners and crosses in the last minutes of a close game to provide another option.

Now as to who Bayern should buy - I can only think of Mandzukic (after the transfer of Higuain to Juve he won't be a strater for them anymore) or Dzeko who would fit my imagined requirements.
    I gotta say I would be very glad to see Mandzukic return to Bayern and help us win another Treble under Ancelotti - and Bayern should still have the telephone number of Juve from the Vidal and Coman deals.
    Heck, just trade Mandzukic with Benatia and call it a deal. :D
  34. Aug 13, 2016

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Watzke is a day-dreamer if the thinks that will help......the whole world has seen the behaviour of the Dortmund fans against Götze and that Watzke has not really criticized the fans for that.
    Will be interesting to see what happens to Götze and Hummels on Sunday :)
  35. Aug 13, 2016

RooneyLegend Full Member

Its interesting what he's going to do with Thiago. which role is he going to use him for in midfield? Probably with Thiago is his talents are so vast you get the feeling their isn't any of the position he wouldn't be able to fill. Where he'd be utilised best is a question that's yet to be answered. With Vidal and Sanchez around you'd hazard a guess that he won't be used as an 8, now as a 6? Its an interesting prospect but he still makes some mistakes that won't be tolerated there. As the mezzala? That's probably where he should play but sadly that would mean Ribery not play, which probably won't happen if the frenchman is fit.
  36. Aug 13, 2016

GimmeThatBall_M8_NL New Member

Im going to the game on Sunday. Cant wait how they react on Gotze and Hummels :drool:. Heard Dortmund had one of the greatest atmosphere in Germany, so im excited. Anyone else is going?
  37. Aug 13, 2016

ZAGREB RED Full Member

Not going Sunday, but I have been to Westfalen Stadium for a UEFA Cup game, was a while ago - 1992. Amazing stadium and atmosphere, think there was about 73 000 there that night.
  38. Aug 13, 2016

do.ob Full Member

I was a bit surprised about Watzke's statement, since both clubs seemed almost friendly with each other recently. I guess selling Götze to the fans is the first priority right now.

Regarding Bayern:

The defence looks great, both in terms of first XI players and depth.
    I think the midfield is a bit worrying by Bayern's standards: Imho a club like Bayern shouldn't rely on a player as old as Alonso or as young and raw as Sanches and Thiago had a lot of injury troubles, I'm also not fully convinced that he's a consistent top player. Vidal I rate very highly though, imho they should've tried to get a second player of his calibre.
    And obviously a second striker would be good, though maybe they see Müller as a reliable backup.

And I don't mean to derail the thread but I'm really baffled that Hoeneß is just walking back onto his throne. Being hypocritical about player's miss steps is one thing, but imho a club/company as big as Bayern shouldn't make someone who served jail time their figure head and I'm surprised that the Adidas and Allianz guys on Bayern's board appear to be signing off on this. And don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning Hoeneß for life, but imho he should have a quieter role from now on.
  39. Aug 13, 2016

Balu Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern Munich
    I'm not surprised about it, but I agree with the rest. He shouldn't just walk back into his old role, it's wrong.
  40. Aug 13, 2016

Fergus' son Gets very easily confused

:lol:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.