FIFA proposes a new quadrennial 24-team Club World Cup

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by United_We_Stand, May 11, 2018.

1. May 16, 2018

ashfritz New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Let's try to be rational here. Does anyone enjoy watching pre-season tours & friendlies? I would much prefer a competitive tournament every once in a while over the current rubbish tours. Having personally lived in South America and Africa (living currently) and followed the football there, I would love to see more opportunities for the top teams of the continents to have a go at each other. The current CWC format is just too limited, there are so many potentially red hot games that will never happen. I want to see Boca Juniors Vs Barcelona, Flamengo Vs Real Madrid, Al Ahli Vs United, e.t.c. (Al Ahli would get smashed but that's not the point). I noticed that people in England generally don't know much about football outside of Europe, and mixing it up a little and getting to see some fascinating match ups play COMPETITIVELY should be a positive experience.

The way I see it, scrap the useless current CWC altogether and go with this format every 4 years, why not??

I know its a money spinning FIFA gimmick, but so is the CL, and whatever qualms you may have about it, it is the best football to be seen.

No about City and PSG, for sponsorship purposes they are invited to the inaugural tournament, but if anyone bothered to read further, it says that there will be a qualifying system:

"From the second edition, moving forward, the 12 European clubs will be the last four winners of the Champions League, the four finalists and the four clubs with the best coefficient who are not among those eight.

For the Club World Cup 2021, the divide among confederations will be:
    • UEFA (Europe) - 12 clubs
    • CONMEBOL (South America) – 4 clubs and 1 club in a playoff vs. a club from OFC
    • CAF (Africa) – 2 clubs
    • AFC (Asia) - 2 clubs
    • CONCACAF (North America) - 2 clubs
    • OFC (Oceanía) – 1 club in a playoff vs. 1 club from CONMEBOL
    • Host country – 1 club"
    This would make Summer much more interesting IMHO.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018
  2. May 16, 2018

Chipper Full Member

Sounds shit, not watching.
  3. May 16, 2018

Cal? The Donald Trump of CR7 fans

You're happy to have them play Europeans in one off game, but not in a tournament setting. I just don't get the logic in that.

IF clubs from the rest of the world want to improve, surely playing top Europeans teams is a GOOD thing? :confused:

Also, I'd say the likes of Boca do have a decent chance of progressing.
  4. May 16, 2018

stevoc Full Member

In a one off game they have a chance at least, South America has managed to win 3 of the 12 Club World Cups to date. 3 African/Asian sides have managed to get to the final.

In a full tournament they don't have a chance, they can get past one European side maybe but not them all. All i'm saying is if teams from outside Europe don't stand a chance and the quarter finals onwards is dominated by European clubs then i don't see the point of it all. It's basically just a mini Uefa Champions league.

At this point they can't because as soon as a young player in SA shows promise they are snapped up by a European team. If all the best players from South America are in Europe they can't really hope to build teams to compete with Uefa sides. So i don't see how they can improve.

It's possible mate but i don't see it, europes 12 best teams in 8 groups of 3 and only the group winners go through. Unless of course it's structured so that european teams don't meet teams from the rest of the world until the latter stages but i doubt that will be the case. Fifa will want all the big names in the Semi finals.
  5. May 16, 2018

Gasolin Full Member

I feel sorry for the Chinese but surely it has to be a Japanese and a Korean club for those 2 spots. And the team that get $60M will be... woohoo can’t even imagine the consequence in the domestic league and the AFC champions league after that lol.
  6. May 16, 2018

Coxy Full Member

This - would be awesome. Or a best of premier league vs best of la liga etc
  7. May 16, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    What is it ? A glorified pre season tournament?? Not that bad in that case. If it's an extra legit tournament then no thanks. The players will end up knackered.

Not sure what fanbase City and PSG have either globally. Likewise Bayern isn't particularly huge outside of Europe. Seemed initially they were going on the biggest clubs historically speaking which makes much more sense if money is what they're after.
  8. May 16, 2018

If Boca have the chance of winning in a one-off game, they have the chance to beat the single European side in their group and progressing to the knockout stage.
  9. May 16, 2018

I'm not particularly fond of Chinese sides, but please explain why Guangzhou shouldn't get a spot?
  10. May 16, 2018

stevoc Full Member

It's possible mate yes just unlikely. They would have a 50/50 chance of being in a group with only one Euro side.
  11. May 16, 2018

Momochiru Full Member

Then you should be really in favor of this tournament. The cash flow the south american clubs will receive will help them to keep their talents and make them more competitive.
  12. May 16, 2018

Florida Man Cartoon expert and crap superhero

the land of tossed gators and public wanking
    And more cash flow will go to European teams who will buy those South American players anyway.
  13. May 16, 2018

Florida Man Cartoon expert and crap superhero

the land of tossed gators and public wanking
    Just one more step towards the inevitable World Super Circus League. Though, I wouldn't mind this tournament if the majority of proceeds were gifted to the home city of the winning and participating clubs.
  14. May 16, 2018

Momochiru Full Member

The impact to the European teams is nowhere near as big. For example one of the biggest and richest south american club - Boca Juniors has a total squad worth of around £90m. Even just the participation money is more than half of their squad worth - it's probably their budget for several years - that's huge for them. On the other hand United would of course welcome that money, but it would be a small fraction of the budget and wouldn't make much difference - just business as usual.
  15. May 16, 2018

stevoc Full Member

I personally dont see 60m Euros over 4 years really helping south american teams close the gap on teams who spend 3-4 times that every year.
  16. May 16, 2018

There are a few teams at Boca's level in Conmebol, the likelihood of them all drawing into groups with 2 Uefa sides is extremely low.
  17. May 16, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Even if one or two managed to get lucky and get into the quarter finals the odd year it wouldn't really change my point mate. This competition if it happens is going to be dominated by European sides to such an extent that to call it a World cup is pointless.
  18. May 17, 2018

So basically you're saying we shouldn't have a World Cup for clubs because non-Uefa teams are shit?
  19. May 17, 2018

Gasolin Full Member

If they keep the same logic as for European teams for the 1st tournament, then it's based on historical statistics and/or the fan base.
    Korea and Japan have both won 11 and 6 times the AFC Champions League, after that it's Saudi Arabia with 4, and then Iran and China with 3.
    So it should be a Korean and a Japanese team.

The "best" historical Korean team is Pohang Steelers (3 wins), while the best historical Japanese team is Urawa Red Diamonds (2 wins).

The latest 3 wins for AFC:
    - 2015, Guangzhou Evergrande, China
    - 2016, Jeanbuk Hyundai Motors, Korea
    - 2017, Urawa Red Diamonds, Japan

That's my rationale for AFC spots.
  20. May 17, 2018

I thought they were done by individual clubs.
  21. May 17, 2018

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

exactly
  22. May 17, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Well sort of but not exactly mate i'm saying we shouldn't have a bloated full 'World' tournament that teams outside europe have no chance of winning or even getting to the later stages of, is redundant because we already have the Uefa Champions League for Europes top teams to play against each other, adds another tournament and more matches to an already crowded calendar. And all just to make more money for Fifa.

The whole things a terrible idea.
  23. May 17, 2018

Vicenterubio New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    It is less matches if they are getting rid off the confederations cup and the club world cup
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2018
  24. May 17, 2018

Siorac Full Member

Even though I do not like the idea at all, that in itself is not much of an argument against it, to be fair. The actual World Cup is absolutely dominated by Europe and South America: one Asian team reached the semi-finals once; no African or North American or Central American team ever managed that.
  25. May 17, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

Not a fan tbh. I think football is becoming over-saturated.
  26. May 17, 2018

There’s nothing wrong with the best teams in the world being crowned world champions. I really don’t see any issue with that.

It’s a lot less ridiculous than N American sports where only 2 countries compete in calling themselves World Series
  27. May 17, 2018

cyberman Full Member

So it would basically replace pre season friendlies?
    I don't see a problem with it, we competed against Barca and Madrid for some Nike battle royale trophy every year for the past 20 summers
  28. May 17, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Well i don't know if it is less matches maybe you're right. The current club world cup is only two games for European sides in December.

But if the prize money for winning this competition is going to be as big as is rumoured, you can be sure some/all teams will probably move their pre-season games up a few weeks to get fit for it. So it might not even replace pre-season friendlies.

Fair enough but at least teams from two continents have a good chance of winning it.

Nothing wrong with that at all mate and the current format achieves that while still giving teams from outside europe a decent chance of winning.
  29. May 17, 2018

I just don't see the point of reducing competition just to give others a chance of winning.

No one begrudged the Dream Team competing in the Olympics back in 1992 even though it gave everyone else NO CHANCE at all.
  30. May 17, 2018

goober88 New Member

Does the World Cup replace pre-season friendlies? Does the Copa America/European Championship? It's a post-season tournament, not a pre-season one.
  31. May 17, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

That bald FIFA boss is more corrupt than Blatter and Platini combined
  32. May 17, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Ok i get you don't agree with my point of view fair enough mate. But what's the point of this competition and what will it add to football in your opinion?

Everyone knows all the best club sides in the world by a very long distance are from Europe, whoever is the Champions of Europe are the best club side in the world. So what will this competition tell us, nothing it will most likely be a retread of the Champions League from a few months before.

It wasn't always the case that European sides were so vastly superior, thats why the original Intercontinental cup was set up. To see who was better the Euro champs or the SA champs. Fifa didn't like that they didn't control that competition or make any money from it. First they set-up the the Club World Championship in 2000 with 8 teams, which was a disaster. Then they went back to the drawing board and set-up the current Club world cup, which is perfectly fine and a positive from that competition is it includes clubs from every continent and gave them a reasonable chance of competing.

This proposed competition would add nothing to football and is just Fifas attempt to usurp the Champions League, the same way they did with the Intercontinental cup. Which is why Uefa are opposing this competition.
  33. May 17, 2018

I just like seeing big teams play against each other, so I really don't see the downside in this. This is not a annual tournament, so it's not the same as just winning the CL that year.
  34. May 17, 2018

cyberman Full Member

That's not how it works though.
    The World Cup is a tournament that every international side works towards.
    If a summer tournament were to take place just after or before the World Cup I can guarantee you it would be used as a warm up event.
    Remember the tournament before World Cup 98 outside of Carlos freekick?
    Of course you don't. Because it doesn't matter.
  35. May 17, 2018

redshaw Full Member

Is there a mention of this replacing pre season friendlies? I see the dates June 10-28 which is not pre season.

Just off the back of a long season and Champions League, June 10 is about 14 days off the CL final, it doesn't feel right to do this kind of club tournament in between the Euros and World Cups
  36. May 17, 2018

goober88 New Member

@cyberman
    I have no idea why you're talking about the World Cup. This is happening in 2021, not 2022. It's replacing the Confederations Cup, which is not pre-season.
  37. May 17, 2018

Could have been a pro New Member

FIFA trying to squeeze every penny out of the 'product' that is football.

Ridiculous idea. More than enough competitions going on, more than enough footy on TV. Barely enough rest for players as it is.
  38. May 17, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    What a load of rubbish
  39. May 17, 2018

Reduce the number of league games or drop the league cup
  40. May 17, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Me too mate but we have that in the Champions League, this will only dilute that. It will be played directly after the latter stages of the Uefa Champions League the year it happens, most likely with the same teams in contention. I just don't see the point.

Most countries don't have a League cup though mate. And i think it's unfair to relegate more sides than usual and reduce the league sizes just to accommodate the leagues richest clubs to go off for a summer tournament that will make them even richer. The Pl clubs would never vote for that.