Florian Thauvin

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by YouOnlyLiveTwice, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Jan 20, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

You mean the number 2 that was number 2 in the french league?:angel:
  2. Jan 20, 2018

Nigel Refalo New Member

Technically brilliant footballer, let him mature more and watch the space!
  3. Jan 20, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Fortunaltely we have the likes of Mignolet/Cech to balance things down... I'm talking about the keepers in general and you only focus on the best ones. It was predictable you were gonna bite though. Lloris is nowhere near one the best in the world.
  4. Jan 20, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Are there any better than him now though?

It’s a ridiculous assertion to claim that the keepers in France are as good as they are in England. If you play for Newcastle you have to face on of those keepers I listed in 1 of every 4 games!
  5. Jan 20, 2018

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    LOL Cech is still better than 90% of the GK's in the French league, I bet you're saying , even some of the PL's worst who make mistakes are capable of being good shot-stoppers, look at some of the pathetic efforts from that Thauvin video that went, woeful GK'ing throughout.

I focused on the best one's because you specifically mentioned them ffs. :lol: We are talking about the overall standard, of which they are included. Obviously it suits your argument to suddenly exclude them from the discussion...

Name 10 better 'keepers than Lloris than. He's a level above anybody in Ligue One for starters.
  6. Jan 20, 2018

Yes, they are better. Ederson, Courtois and De Gea are arguably the best keepers in the world with Ter Stegen and Neuer, so I can safely agree that the french league doesn't have anyone like them. But Lloris is overrated and he isn't better than Ruffier, it pains me to admit it but Areola improved a lot and he is good but European standard, Costil is a solid goalkeeper, then you have Lopes and Subasic who are good but Subasic had a weird end of the season. After them you have a mixed bag of young talented goalkeepers and 3 or 4 walking jokes.
  7. Jan 20, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

I think Lloris is overrated or having a bad season at least but he and Cech are high level keepers, in the second tier for me. Then it becomes subjective because I could say Pickford, Pope are talented young keepers etc.

Is Lloris still number 1 for the NT?
  8. Jan 20, 2018

I don't have to name 10 keepers better than him because I never even argued this in the first place.
    I'm not excluding the best keepers in the PL, my point was that even if you include them, the overall level of goalkeeping between the 2 leagues isn't different. I guess you completely misunderstood me.
  9. Jan 20, 2018

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

Ligue 1 is obviously a worse league the the Premier League but it's not a massive gap as some suggest. It's also a gold mine for talent if you pick the right ones.

As for Thauvin, he had an attitude problem when he was younger and we of all clubs should know what happens to talents with attitude problems. He seems to be growing out of it to his credit.
  10. Jan 20, 2018

And why wouldn't you say that? I would agree, my opinion is that the PL has more elite goalkeepers but the rest of the league isn't a all lot different from Ligue 1, Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga.
  11. Jan 20, 2018

Too true. He believed his hype, the way he left Lille for Marseille and Marseille for Newcastle shows that he was a bit dumb. He is still young though.
  12. Jan 20, 2018

Indeed. He obviously had the talent, but he didn't have any patience and jumped around too much which pissed off the fans. He should have stayed at Lille for longer imo.
  13. Jan 20, 2018

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    I don't know, difficult to assess exactly if a 30/40m prospect is worth it in today's market but it's certainly a speculative signing.
  14. Jan 20, 2018

Very important point. It's an investment alright but if he can be a little productive, it'll be worth the money. Attacking players with some end product go for ridiculous fees that 30/40m seem like "alright" sums to pay these days.
  15. Jan 20, 2018

That's an understatement, he hasn't played for them. He signed in December but was loaned back to Bastia, then he refused to play for Lille because Marseille wanted him. That's why he is disliked in France.
  16. Jan 20, 2018

Ah forgot that detail! I remember I started following him as Bastia but forgot the loan back, thought he played at Lille for 6 months and then transferred to Marseille. It's a long time ago!
  17. Feb 3, 2018

Saccharine New Member

He scored a hattrick yesterday though it was against the worst team in the league.
    I hope he carries on his good form and we get to see him in the World Cup.

Another one or two good seasons with Marseilles, hopefully with some sort of silverware, and I think he will be ready to get another chance at a bigger club.
  18. Feb 4, 2018

I hope so because it will be deserved. He's been very consistent this season and has scored many important goals. I hope he stays for a few years because he needs stability and he is still young anyway.
  19. Feb 9, 2018

Nigel Refalo New Member

Another good goal tonight, he's in really good form wouldn't be surprised if we see him involved a lot at the world cup.
  20. May 16, 2018

IrishRedDevil Full Member

Looking forward to watching him play tonight in the Europa League Final. I've seen a few people say we should target him for our RW.
  21. May 16, 2018

GledTheRed Full Member

GASH
  22. May 16, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Had a couple of passes and crosses but he has been quiet. Needs to step up in the next half or the game is over
  23. May 16, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

He’s the same guy who played for Newcastle a couple seasons ago?
  24. May 16, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Barely got a kick. But yes same player
  25. May 16, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

Thanks Ekeke. Yeah, not that I’m judging him because I hardly watched him for the toon but I remember him being a bit underwhelming, and physically quite weak.

But he’s got plenty of time on his side. By all accounts, he’s been good this season and might make the French wc squad.
  26. May 16, 2018

Nytram Shakes Full Member

has had a great season, can't really think of better right winger we could sign.

His attitude is reported to be an issue, so we would have to do a lot old research into how he has developed as a human before we signed him.

But as a player think he would be exactly what we need.
  27. May 16, 2018

marktan Full Member

Was interested in watching him tonight but he's done next to nothing, not one single dribble. Ocampos in the opposite wing has looked much better (though not great either).
  28. May 16, 2018

Vanya Full Member

I dont think Thauvin is ready to take the step up. IMO he never will be. Nevertheless he needs to develop more before leaving france. One good season isnt good enough. Douglas Costa is a better player and more suited to our style of play .
  29. May 16, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

I dont agree that he hasnt made a dribble. But he's definitely been quiet. Almost like he doesnt really know what to do without Payet's creativity playing him into dangerous positions
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  30. May 16, 2018

your basing this all on this game.
  31. May 16, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

All on his biggest match of the season
  32. May 16, 2018

marktan Full Member

Well that's another one off the list of potential RW's for us. Completely anonymous. Can we just sign Mahrez please?

Tbf playing against Atletico is hard, but the like 3 times I actually saw him touch the ball he played the simple pass, whereas the other winger Ocampos actually tried to take people on.
  33. May 16, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Its just one game and you cant deny what hes done over the course of the season. Tonight was more a litmus test of whether every club should be looking at him and having a bidding war, rather than would he be an improvement for us. We already know hes an improvement for us but he does look like a player who needs some good supply to him and isnt so great when being tightly marked.
  34. May 16, 2018

marktan Full Member

I've only seen a youtube vid of him, so I can't really comment, but he didn't look like he had any real strong dribbling ability. I'm also always a bit wary about wide players in Ligue 1, Depay looks decent there but he can't dribble to save his life. If we sign someone I'd want them be able to compete with the top wide forwards other teams like Pool, City etc have.

Januzaj for instance has looked far more impressive in La Liga, his performance against Atletico a few weeks back was great. But I don't think he's ready for a top team either yet.
  35. May 16, 2018

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Did nothing of note tonight. Disappointed.
  36. May 16, 2018

loads of playrs have had bad games in big matches. judging players on one game is daft.
  37. May 16, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Far too lightweight for English football.
  38. May 16, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Same as judging on one post. Read up
  39. May 16, 2018

Nigel Refalo New Member

As i mentioned in another thread he has a habit of drifting out of matches. Still done enough this season to get into the France squad for the WC
  40. May 16, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

Doesn't strike me as the kind of player that will ever make the serious step up needed.

Although I do think all the whinging about the tuxedo he wore to a game at Newcastle is a bit weird, why did people care so much, and why do they still care so much. Was brought up a few times tonight during the final.