Football News Sources

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Paz, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Jan 4, 2018

Paz Anthony Martial slept with my girlfriend

Not sure what the best forum for this was. But since I've been on this forum posters patience for any sort of football-related rumours seem to be dwindling.

Ofcourse I understand not all sources are top drawer and not all articles turn out to be accurate. I personally don't believe news articles (in major newspapers or outlets) are written 100% on nothing. I do think football news stories (like other news stories) are complex and non-binary. i.e. sometimes someone wants to send a message via the press, many relationships that key figures hold with journalists is well known, agents playing a role, clubs doing their thing, rivals too, etc etc.

It is so tedious to see every single news story with a 'omg must be rubbish!!' or 'it's in a newspaper so therefore false' reaction. What's the point discussing anything apart from official quotes and official confirmations, yawn!

Agreed there is a fine line, but why don't we grow up.

Let me give you an example, how would the following news stories in the Mirror or Mail etc from Jul 2012 have been viewed:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-believe-robin-van-1148540

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...er-United-turn-Robin-van-Persie-interest.html
  2. Jan 4, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

I just ignore it all because there's just way too much of it. Following transfers is a bit like following conspiracy theories. Among all the false information are some truths but personally I don't find it worth it to read any of it.
  3. Jan 4, 2018

mazhar13 Full Member

Unfortunately, football transfer rumours are like a game of Chinese whispers. Someone passes a message over to someone else, and that someone else passes the message on, and so on...until we get to the news outlet. By that time, the published story links a player to a particular club or two even though it might not necessarily be the case. On top of that, big clubs will always keep tabs on many good players; that doesn't necessarily mean that they are actually looking to obtain them (the opposite is also true).
  4. Jan 4, 2018

Robertd0803 Full Member

I thought it was absolute fantasy and to this day it still feels like one looking back.
  5. Jan 4, 2018

Paz Anthony Martial slept with my girlfriend

Not always true is it? Sometimes clubs leak to add pressure to other side for example.
  6. Jan 4, 2018

mazhar13 Full Member

That can happen, yes, and it has happened before. However, more often than not, these news outlets here a word from a "source" who gets the message from another "source" (and so on and so forth), which is why we get so many different rumours in the media. On top of that, you have fake sources around who make up news and fool major news outlets (case in point: the Arturo Vidal to Arsenal rumour).