Football transfers for the last 10-15 years.

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Paul Scholes, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Sep 24, 2009

Paul Scholes Full Member

Few months ago their was an article in The Sun regarding all the money spent by each Premier League team the last 10-15 years. Can someone help me where to find the article? Sorry i am useless i cant find it my self :)
  2. Sep 24, 2009

Adebesi Full Member

I can summarise it for you. Liverpool spent a whole load more money than we did on a whole load of turd players. Chelsea spent even more and City are now on that same trajectory. Arsenal dont spend as much as us.

Youre welcome.
  3. Sep 24, 2009

Paul Scholes Full Member

thanx mate :).... this the only think i remember too...

i need the full article so i can show to my friends here....
  4. Sep 24, 2009

Adebesi Full Member

To be fair I didnt see the article you are talkign about because I dont really read The Sun. That was just my own knowledge laid out for you.

Good luck finding this article.
  5. Sep 24, 2009

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    Okay the real question is how much have we spent over the last 10 years compared to Accrington Stanley
  6. Sep 24, 2009

Adebesi Full Member

Not what you were looking for but this is quite interesting.

= KPMG UK News =

Premiership clubs reduce spending as big names opt for Europe
    Forensic 02 September 2009

KPMG’s Football Transfer Monitor shows that in the most recent transfer window Premiership clubs net spending has fallen significantly – down to £82 million from £210 million in the summer 2008 transfer window. “Big Four” clubs have actually generated a combined net inflow on transfer activity of around £75 million. This is not the whole story though, with Manchester City in particular bucking the trend with some significant player investments.

Geoff Mesher, Head of the Forensic Sports Industry Team at KPMG, commented: “Generally, clubs have been acting with greater financial care in the current economic environment. Moreover, some big names, such as Kaka and Benzema, have opted to join Real Madrid whilst Manchester United and Liverpool have lost star players to the La Liga club. The lack of big name players arriving in the UK might appear strange given the recent success of English clubs in Europe, with three of the four semi finalists in the last three years of the Champions League being English. It may be that the relative weakness of the Pound against the Euro, coupled with the higher rate tax band recently announced in the UK, has deterred some players on financial grounds from playing in the Premiership.”

“Meanwhile, it is no surprise that Manchester City can continue to spend at such a high level given the strength of its financial backing. Of equal interest are clubs such as Sunderland, Birmingham, and Wolves who have occupied the higher reaches of the net spending table. Two are newly promoted whilst Sunderland were one of the lowest placed teams to avoid relegation from the Premiership last season. This level of investment in the current economic climate reflects the financial pressure on clubs to avoid relegation and their willingness to speculate to achieve this goal. Whilst relegated clubs will receive substantial parachute payments this is no match for the lucrative television and prize money on offer in the Premiership”

Regarding the struggle for Premiership clubs to attract or retain big name players, Geoff Mesher explains: “Our analysis of the recent transfer window has revealed a reduction in Premiership transfer funds paid to non-English clubs supporting the argument that teams have struggled to entice big names from overseas. It is no coincidence that the majority of Manchester City’s big summer signings were purchased from within the English top flight. For the time being in the international transfer market La Liga, and more specifically Real Madrid, appear to have the upper hand on the Premiership.”

Some highlights of the Football Transfer Monitor for the Summer 2009 transfer window:

Clubs in the top three tiers of English football had net outlays of £12.5 million during this most recent transfer window, significantly down from £167.5 million in the previous year’s summer transfer window.

The reduction in spending is most starkly portrayed by the activities of the “Big Four” clubs with a combined net outlay of £45.2 million in 2008 turning to a net inflow of £75.3 million in the summer 2009 transfer window. Even allowing for the significant fee of £80 million paid to Manchester United for Cristiano Ronaldo this still leaves four of the traditionally biggest spending teams only marginally in the red.

The exception to this rule has been Manchester City which has comfortably topped the net spending table. Net investment is up £34.6 million on the previous year’s net spend to £98.0 million with average spend per player of almost £20.0 million, double that of the “Big Four” clubs.

Behind Aston Villa, Sunderland and Birmingham have the third and fourth highest net outlays of £19.2 million and £18.6 million respectively. Chelsea are the only “Big Four” club in the top half of the net spending table with the fifth highest net spend at £18.5 million, less than 20% of that of Manchester City.

The summer window has seen a decrease in transfer funds paid to non-English clubs. Of the total Premiership spend, 35% was paid to non-English teams, down from 47% in the 2008 summer window. Of the £162.5 million Premiership investment in players from non-English based teams, 8% went to the Spanish League compared with 35% of the £222.0 million sent overseas in 2008. Conversely, around 85% of transfer funds received by Premiership clubs from overseas came from La Liga, and in particular from Real Madrid.

Premiership clubs have attributed significant value to experience in the current transfer window with players in the 25 – 28 age range commanding an average fee of £8.6 million, up £1.8 million from last year. This trend is driven by a number of the “Big Four” club’s and all six of Manchester City’s summer signings falling in that category.

Forwards continue to be the most valued position for clubs in all of England’s top three divisions with average values in this position reaching just under one and a half times that of midfielders and defenders across the three leagues. Premiership clubs spent an average of £7.7 million on a forward.
    It may be only a few years though before Manchester City and other clubs backed by wealthy owners can no longer be so dominant in the transfer market. UEFA President, Michel Platini, was recently reported to have said that clubs should be restricted to spending what they earn in football revenues. Geoff Mesher commented: “Such restrictions could finally close the door on clubs aspiring to break into the Big Four. Larger stadiums and the development of a worldwide fan base in regions such as the Far East would have to become more of a priority for clubs to maximise revenues and increase spending power if new rules were put in place.”

“In the short term this announcement may see spending in the next few years significantly exceed that in the most recent transfer window with clubs such as Manchester City looking to exploit their spending power before any restrictions are imposed.”

This announcement may not just be a reaction to the disproportionate spending power that a wealthy new investor can bring to a club. Geoff Mesher explains: “The liabilities that some clubs are taking on do not in themselves raise concerns over sustainability so long as teams are able to effectively service that debt. Football’s governing bodies will be mindful though of clubs taking on debt that they cannot afford to maintain. Clubs which face the possibility of relegation from the Premiership in any given season would appear to be most at risk. Relegation would deny them the lucrative television and prize money on offer and they may have invested heavily, and taken on debt, to try and secure Premiership status.”
  7. Sep 24, 2009

onesaf Full Member

Don't have the Sun article that you are looking for, but you may find all the information that you are looking for at Transfer League
  8. Sep 24, 2009

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

the real question is why you're raising a general football matter in the United forum?
  9. Sep 24, 2009

SharkyMcShark Horrified

because you touch yourself at night gb.
  10. Sep 24, 2009

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

true. But whats that got to do with transfers?
  11. Sep 24, 2009

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Every time you do it a kitten dies.

And every time a kitten dies someone's dream to play for Madrid one day is born.
  12. Sep 24, 2009

SharkyMcShark Horrified

It's simple really