Football without headers?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by golden_blunder, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Jan 28, 2018

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

apparently UEFA considering banning heading the ball in youth football due to the link to brain damage

How would you feel if this was rolled out to all levels? Imagine having to keep the ball under head height like indoor?
  2. Jan 28, 2018

kidbob Full Member Knee-jerker

Pep approves
  3. Jan 28, 2018

ROFLUTION Full Member

feck off.

That's how I feel.
  4. Jan 28, 2018

Karel Podolsky New Member

Supports:
    Ex Laziale
    City scored many headers this season.
  5. Jan 28, 2018

fergies coat New Member

Let’s ban all combat sports and anything else dangerous while where at it.
  6. Jan 28, 2018

Macern SeARcHeS iMagEs oF fO0tbAlLeRs bAllSaCkS

God no. That’d ruin football
  7. Jan 28, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

While they are at it, they should also ban tackling and if possible kicking the ball hard. Linked to multiple leg injuries.

Banning headers upto certain age makes sense though, not at senior level.
  8. Jan 28, 2018

Sigma Full Member Scouse Lover

There are things more important than football. If the UEFA has scientific evidence that heading the ball under a certain age leads to a greater chance of brain damage, then I'm all for it. If I recall correctly, that age is 11, so it is very young. You can practice heading technique with softer balls.

I can't see it being rolled out to all levels.
  9. Jan 28, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

Football is a sport. Sport is dangerous.

Don't want to endanger yourself? Don't play sport. Get a desk job.

Everyone has a choice in the matter.
  10. Jan 28, 2018

Rossa Full Member

Agreed. And ban those goal posts - I’ve seen a few injuries due to those. And that ball is pretty dangerous too. Perhaps either drop the ball completely or replace it with a foam ball?
    Studs definitely need to go!
  11. Jan 28, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Has there been any studies done which prove heading a football causes brain damage?
  12. Jan 28, 2018

Karel Podolsky New Member

Supports:
    Ex Laziale
    So if a player makes a header the opposition awarded a free kick or penalty kick if it inside the box?
    Should just 'discourage' headers than ban headers.
  13. Jan 28, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

But that doesn't prepare them for senior football. Because you'd have a generation of footballers who don't know how to head a football, despite heading being a fundamental part of the game that they are taking part in.
  14. Jan 28, 2018

Chipper Full Member

It would be a very different sport, wouldn't it?

Not sure why you'd have to ban kicking the ball over head height if you did ban headers though. Fellaini with his chest control would then become one of the world's most valuable players. :devil:
  15. Jan 28, 2018

Sigma Full Member Scouse Lover

The age we are talking about is 11. That gives you plenty of time to learn how to head a proper ball. Anyway, heading can be practiced with softer balls. Like I said before, there are things much more important than football.
  16. Jan 28, 2018

Ivor Ballokov Full Member

It would make corners pretty worthless, they'd have to come up with something else.

The type of players coming through would completely change too.
  17. Jan 28, 2018

If the age is upto 11 like someone mentioned then they will have plenty of time to learn it.
  18. Jan 28, 2018

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times Staff

Fine at youth level. At the top level? No.
  19. Jan 28, 2018

a_devil_inside Big footed hermaphrodite

At least we wouldn't need to change our corners since they don't go over the first man anyways.
    But if you're still allowed to kick over head height then the keepers would come out and catch each time (unless it's Romero and he'd punch it still)
  20. Jan 28, 2018

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

I didn’t watch Shearer’s programme where he had himself tested. Apparently heading a ball causes problems short term to the brain, at least. Long term I guess a long career in the game is bound to have consequences. It’s a really tough dilemma. Would ruin the game - as we know and love it - to ban headers, and even setting an age limit seems tough. What about special headgear? A factor here has to be the weight of footballs. It’s come down over the years, imagine the impact on your poor nonce of heading one of the rain soaked leather things in the era of Stanley Matthews.
  21. Jan 28, 2018

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Then you think of recently concocted for TV ‘sports’ like Cage Fighting, where kicking to the head and punching people on the ground is encouraged...
  22. Jan 28, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

At youth level, sure. It'll be really interesting when CTE studies start to take off in football. It's really a horrible affliction.
  23. Jan 28, 2018

MadMike Full Member

I absolutely agree. Can't believe so many people don't see the positives.
    • Heading has links to brain damage and it has even bigger impact on the underdeveloped bodies of youths/kids. It's a bit like amateur boxing has compulsory head gear to protect the mostly young athletes that are learning the sport. Doesn't exactly stop people from graduating to professional boxing without protection. But for all those kids who learn the sport and might never even turn professional, this is good.
    • If the kids learn to play with the ball on the ground that's all the better for them (and us!).
    Nobody's talking about banning it at adult level, but protecting the kids is surely a good idea.
  24. Jan 28, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

First thing that came to mind. Cricket evolved from no helmets, to helmets without grills, to helmets with grills and, following the unfortunate passing of Phil Hughes, helmets with neck protection.

I don't know if there is a direct correlation between the two but it wouldn't be out of this world to suggest that there might be one. Some form of headgear wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edit: I do remember seeing something about a link between footballers and Alzheimer's. Yeah, it was the 1966 WC winning team and how many of the members had been afflicted by the killer disease.
  25. Jan 28, 2018

septic Full Member

You’re right. Let’s keep footballers developing brain issues instead. Your enjoyment is more important.

I haven’t read the research yet but if there is actual clear scientific links, then it’s absolutely a no brainier (pun not intended).
  26. Jan 28, 2018

Kostur Full Member

This, the players and the coaches are encouraged to play on the ground most of the time anyway.
  27. Jan 28, 2018

OverratedOpinion Full Member

I definitely think it is something that needs to be seriously looked at. I have definitely felt my head wobble when heading a ball before. I think there are alternatives such as testing the results of protective headgear like Cech wears. I'd say it at least needs to be trialed before considering banning heading all together.
  28. Jan 28, 2018

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

John Terry.
  29. Jan 28, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

It's 100% not the same because of the nature of the sport, but American Football helmets don't really protect against the kinds of damage to the brain this is trying to stop. I mean American Football is obviously a lot worse but headgear doesn't protect against the acute hits that cause concussion or gradual brain damage like CTE.
  30. Jan 28, 2018

Needham Full Member

They'd have to ban goal kicks and crosses. Shame, just when Moyes was turning his career around.
  31. Jan 28, 2018

fergies coat New Member

Erm there op is saying how would you feel about it at all levels. Kids level is fine. Nobody is disagreeing with that.
  32. Jan 28, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Shearer wouldn't have even been picked out of the youth teams.
  33. Jan 28, 2018

Btw if the heading is banned or kicking the ball above some height is banned then how can they take goal kicks? All the players will be marked by opposition players, so goal kick is as good as free kick for opposition team in dangerous area.
  34. Jan 28, 2018

If players wore helmets, they'd just fly even even harder with headers. I've heard arguments that all of the protective gear american footballers wear causes more CTE than it stops (because it leads the players in to more reckless tackles).
  35. Jan 28, 2018

Moby Dick who hates the homeless

It will never happen.
  36. Jan 28, 2018

In youth football, at a goal kick the oppo team has to retreat to their own half so the goalie can pass it out.

I watch my nephew's side (under 10) a lot. They're rarely heading the ball anyway.
  37. Jan 28, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

That's obviously not what I'm saying - so not sure why you're taking a swipe.

As it is, there is no conclusive evidence to link the heading of a football with brain damage - not yet.

I don't see the banning of heading at youth level an all together productive step, not if it then leaves said players exposed or under prepared at senior level.

Heading is a fundamental aspect of the sport. The only way to preserve the nature of the sport and to better protect players would be mandatory headgear.

Don't want to put your child at risk? Don't let them play football. Or step in a boxing ring. Or get behind the wheel of a go kart. Sport carries risk, lots of it. Some can be mitigated, but the choice comes down to the parent and child/adult in question.
  38. Jan 28, 2018

Snafu17 Full Member

Just make them play futsal untill they're 12. No headers there, plus you get the added bonus of players being better on the ball.
  39. Jan 28, 2018

Ultimate Grib Full Member

Supports:
    LA Galaxy
    99% of the youths that play football will not become professionals. Quite the difference.

I think it might be a good idea to alleviate heading the football at youth amateur level, then if they are scouted or join an academy it can be introduced.
  40. Jan 28, 2018

nokillingmoths Full Member

Yes.