Footballers' wages - reliable sources?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by tekkers3, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Jan 21, 2018

tekkers3 Full Member

With all this talk about how much Sanchez will be paid, and some players' wages compared to others - how do we really know how much a player's wages is?

There are so many reports about so many players' wages but they can all be so different.
    Who is reliable / what sources can we use to find this out?

I would think that publicly available information would provide each player with some degree of confidentiality..
  2. Jan 22, 2018

Needham Full Member

Yeah! I want pictures of them counting their piles of cash like those internet ads that show African soldiers in raybans posing in front of blocks of dollars.

You mean like how complete exposure to the sun protects against ultraviolet rays.
  3. Jan 22, 2018

MrMarcello Full Member

Why don't European leagues release such?

US sports leagues do.
  4. Jan 22, 2018

Needham Full Member

Not even sure i want to know, unless you are enquiring from a tax or corruption point of view. The insanity of Sanchez getting 80 pence a second while nurses etc is a moral swamp you cannot get around. The 1% donation movement is something positive but effects injustice about as much as Paul McCartney contributing a top hat to a sink estate in Brass Eye. I'll like Sanchez because he's a Utd player and he seems to give his all more often than not but dwelling on players wages without raising a conversation about their ethical merit is like having a plumbing problem and doing nothing more than showing friends pictures of the floating turds that will no longer flush.
  5. Jan 22, 2018

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    There are no reliable sources and it's your best guess to assess which are the most reliable.

To a lesser extent it can also be true for transfer fees, except for clubs quoted on the stock exchange who have to officially report them. While journos often converge around a commonly accepted fee, there are sometimes big differences between sources, the nature of bonus and existence of clauses is unsure and it's impossible to estimate exactly how accurate the estimations of "undisclosed transfer fees" are in general.

In the US players are contracted with the league with strong restrictions and financial control, in Europe they are with the clubs and leagues have no say in it.
  6. Jan 22, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

With regard to Sanchez why would the club put out information on a contract offer? Until anything is signed and the player is actually earning money, it should be 100% confidential between the club, the player and his agent. Once the deal is signed, it's only the tax man who needs to know, as its feck all to do with anyone else.
    We all know they earn immoral amounts of money. I don't know why people need to get all worked up on the actual amount, but the media love to stir that pot for clicks.
  7. Jan 22, 2018

MrMarcello Full Member

The only league that players are contracted with the league is MLS.
  8. Jan 22, 2018

11101 Full Member

Its confidential, just like your own salary. We'll never officially know what players get paid and I don't really think we should either.

I think the most reliable is probably that leak a few months ago that listed all our players... Pogba was on 170k if I recall.
  9. Jan 22, 2018

strongwalker Full Member

Supports:
    FC Bayern München
    We don't, end of thread :) Some useful hints ("football leaks"), that's all. If a club is organized as a public company, their annual reports give us a figure what they are spending for *all* their players but we don't know which is a fixed ammount, which is a bonus, and we don't know which side agreements between payers and sponsors are there.
    Only thing that is certain: Whatever numbers are in the media, they are 99,9% wrong.
  10. Jan 22, 2018

Rood nostradamus like gloater Scout

no one really knows and the media just make it up which is why you see such varying figures - the clubs and players will rarely release any official info such things

there have been a few occasions that copies of contracts were leaked which gives an idea and I remember that someone got hold of Tevez's tax payslip that one time
  11. Jan 22, 2018

IrishRedDevil Full Member

Yes he was on £167k for the first season and then 200k when we got back into the CL.
  12. Jan 22, 2018

The Bloody-Nine Full Member

Sanchez has gone from £450,000 per week to £600,000 in a matter of days, on a contract he hasn't even signed yet. Very impressive.
  13. Jan 22, 2018

Smores Full Member

The club clearly can't say player is getting X but they can declare that no player is getting more than X.
    Personally if Sanchez isn't on the stupid amounts banded around then the club should call them out on it as i don't think its helpful to the player or club to work under that perception.
  14. Jan 22, 2018

OverratedOpinion Full Member

From what I remember from the secret footballer I got the feeling that there is no real way to find out through the media. Player wages don't even seem to work the way it is usually reported

I just base it off common sense. Top players at a club like Utd or Chelsea such as Pogba, Hazard or Sanchez will be earning huge amounts (well over 200k a week). Players with less name value but high importance at these clubs will be earning good wages probably over 150k (players like Matic, Mata and Pedro).

Top players for clubs like Spurs or Dortmund earn similar amounts to the second bracket. The biggest variance come with squad players due to the fact that circumstances when someone signs can have a bigger variance when the expected wage is lower. As an example Ashley Young has always been on good wages at Utd due to the fact his contract with Villa was running out when we brought him.

Generally I find the obsession with club finances strange.
  15. Jan 22, 2018

strongwalker Full Member

Supports:
    FC Bayern München
    Benatias's payslip made it to the newspapers once, apparently he had left it in his car and a mechanic took a pic and uploaded it somewhere :)
  16. Jan 22, 2018

kundalini Full Member

Memphis Depay's United contract was leaked. You can find it online. There are tons of clauses in it.

In a non-CL year, his basic salary was £3.9m. If we were in the Champions League, his basic salary went up to £5.2m. On top of that, he earned £20K per start and £10K per sub if appearing before 70 mins. Then he earned a further £250K if he made 20 starts in a season and the same payment if he reached 40 starts that season. Then there were bonuses for individual awards like FIFA's Ballon D'Or and much smaller bonuses for team success, as the money had to be shared amongst the first team squad, according to a points system based on appearances. On top of all that, there were huge loyalty bonuses that he missed out on by leaving before the relevant dates.

Pogba and Zlatan's wages were leaked in a recent book, which to my best knowledge, is currently only available in German, though there are articles online that break down the figures into basic salary, image rights, loyalty payments etc.

Unless the contract is leaked online, we don't know what a player earns but you can make a reasonable estimate based on the total wage bill listed in the accounts, subtract salaries of non-footballing staff, manager, coaching staff and youth team players, then see if your first team players' wages fit.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  17. Jan 22, 2018

Karel Podolsky New Member

Supports:
    Ex Laziale
    Football fans usually like lower figures for transfer fees and wages for their own players and higher figures for rival players.

For example, a certain United fan said Sané transfer fee was £50m and most City fans would say £37m.

And I am sure I also read someone mentioned Lukaku transfer fee was £90m.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  18. Jan 22, 2018

Hojoon Full Member

That sounds a lot more believable. United, like a lot of other clubs, have strict wages to turnover policy so how much extra revenue generated from on the pitch achievements plays a role in wages. This whole "player x earns a certain amount" is a load of crap because wages aren't linear.
  19. Jan 22, 2018

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Hence the cliché "Players just want to play in every game", for Depay the difference between playing 39 or 40 games in a season was basically a brand new Lambo.
  20. Jan 22, 2018

Danny Roberts Full Member

I have access to the info you need and am able to disclose it for £40,000, payable in Bitcoin.
  21. Jan 22, 2018

Pace Abuser Full Member

It's obscene amounts, why does it matter beyond that?

Wages to turnover is a far better metric to judge the financial competency of a club, but then that has no troll value for fans, so very few actually care, it's more about slogans and oneupmanship. "200k for that!?".
  22. Jan 22, 2018

Irish Jet Full Member

Supports:
    Anyone but Rashford
    The Daily Mail have never put me wrong yet.

They've taught me that they're all overpayed, especially the foreigners, especially the foreigners with United. Thankfully after Brexit Alexis will pay for the NHS.