Footballing IQ: Most underrated ability in football?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by VorZakone, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Aug 12, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

We always look at technique, pace and power however footballing IQ is probably the most important ability a player can have. It separates good players from average players. Wilfried Zaha is a classic example, the guy's decision-making is consistently awful.
  2. Aug 12, 2017

padr81 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    I'd agree, you look at David Silva, never blessed with pace (decent) or size but his brain with a ball at his feet is unreal. Lots of Spanish players can be cited with this. Iniesta is another. Yes their technique is marvelous but its their brain on the field under pressure that stands out.
  3. Aug 12, 2017

Rado_N Go Broncos!

I knew the OP was gonna reference Zaha :lol:
  4. Aug 12, 2017

It genuinely annoys me when some posters praise him though whenever he was some decent form going on. We need to have higher standards.
  5. Aug 12, 2017

adexkola American Arse

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Ah, another vague definition of some unquantifiable trait, applied arbitrarily to some players.
  6. Aug 12, 2017

padr81 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Its usually Zaha or Adama Traore
  7. Aug 12, 2017

Basically decision-making and speed of thinking.
  8. Aug 12, 2017

Boycott Full Member

This :lol:

Just like judging someone's mentality through the tv screen
  9. Aug 12, 2017

Boycott Full Member

Those qualities aren't underrated?
  10. Aug 12, 2017

They're not mentioned enough IMO.
  11. Aug 12, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

That is what I say in the Perisic thread.
  12. Aug 12, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    When you watch Xavi or Iniesta play, and then you watch Sterling play, it's pretty obvious that some players are a lot quicker at thinking on their feet than others.
  13. Aug 12, 2017

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

I reckon Kante's a good example of a high profile player without great decision-making. He has exceptional instincts but is technically very limited and is often a bit brainless.
  14. Aug 12, 2017

Someone like Zaha needs to be unpredictable. But, it will burn both ways at times.
  15. Aug 12, 2017

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    Thomas Müller /thread
  16. Aug 12, 2017

I wonder why guys like Zaha and Sterling are usually brushed with this label. Especially since I think Sterling is a good decision maker on the pitch.
  17. Aug 12, 2017

Stack Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Footballing iq is a function of technique. Its something that can be coached.
  18. Aug 12, 2017

Prometheus New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Always happens to be a black player in general as well!
  19. Aug 12, 2017

DrRodo Full Member

Definitively not the most important because i think i have decent IQ and i suck at football :(
  20. Aug 12, 2017

adexkola American Arse

Supports:
    Are they being compared to other players in their position? I'll give you that Zaha is frustrating, but most flair wingers are IMO.
  21. Aug 12, 2017

Classical Mechanic Full Member

:lol:

Nonsense. There are always at least a few decisions a player can make in any given moment. Does a player make the optimum decision in that given moment or not. That is how you judge decision making or football IQ.

Simple example from this summer's U19 European Championship

Mount is through on goal in the final at a less than favourable angle to score, does he shoot or play his mate in through the two opposition defenders.

22. Aug 12, 2017

Kush Full Member

I'm going to get lynched for this but I think Rashford has pretty low footballing IQ :nervous:
  23. Aug 12, 2017

Not sure if I agree with that, I think the kid is reasonably smart when you compare him to guys like Adama Traore.
  24. Aug 12, 2017

Arbitrium Full Member

Lack of football IQ can be traced back to one of two things, sometimes both;

1. Lack of ability
    2. Selfishness
  25. Aug 12, 2017

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

There's a third element to this that underpins everything. In-game decision making.

Most PL level players have the ability to do great things with and without the ball but it's the decision making, particularly when fatigued, that defines the quality of a player. Not forgetting that there are many key choices and actions that a player makes in phases of play during games that go unnoticed by most fans vs the few successful attacking contributions over the course of 90 minutes.

Ultimately being able to deliver the right pass, shot, tackle, movement or non-movement is key for success. Then when you have players of a satisfactory standard, achieving cohesion amongst units within a team is the next level of that.
  26. Aug 12, 2017

Dante Turns into Billy Blaggs when drunk

Supports:
    United!
    Oh, the irony...
  27. Aug 12, 2017

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    Definitely not, on all of that. It's the ability to 'read' a situation, taking the current positions and movements of your opponents and team mates into account, and then make something of it.
    Certainly you can't achieve much from that without the technique to go with it, but you may be able to hit a tin can from 30 meters every time and still never play one good pass in an actual game.
  28. Aug 12, 2017

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

When Zaha, or any other fast, powerful player does something that shows a great amount of 'footballing IQ', it rarely gets mentioned anyway, because fans and commentators tend to focus on their physical attributes.

Because players like Silva, Eriksen, etc haven't got the physical attributes, they will always mention whenever they make a superb pass, touch, etc.

Pogba, who, to me, is one of the most technical players in the league, often gets branded as big, powerful, strong, etc, whereas Fabregas is elegant, has great vision, great touch, etc, when the former also has those attributes and consistently displays it.

At times last season, Zaha was fantastic. Not only his speed and dribbling ability, but his decision making improved massively.
  29. Aug 12, 2017

RedFish Full Member

Teddy had great footballing IQ
  30. Aug 12, 2017

adexkola American Arse

Supports:
    Yeah that makes sense mate, but is this criterion applied fairly and consistently? Are we tracking the percentage of times a player makes the right decision? And is the right decision always clear from the TV?

With regards to Zaha, what are his stats for the previous season, and are they consistent with the narrative of him being brainless?
  31. Aug 12, 2017

Arbitrium Full Member

I think that's encompassed in lack of ability. In fact Footballing IQ and ability are pretty much one in the same.
  32. Aug 12, 2017

I think it is mostly a function of first touch.
  33. Aug 12, 2017

Sorry, been coaching for years, have nearly completed the UEFA B licence. It was one of the topics on the last course I took.

The ability to read a situation especially at EPL level requires players to be heads up players. That in turn requires good technique. The better the technique the better the ability to have a chance to look and assess. The better the technique the more time available to look up and assess.
    There is technique and skill, technique being the method of control used, skill is choosing the right technique at the right time in the right situation.
    If a kid gets the right coaching from a young age it allows them to develop the ability to read and assess a situation faster than other players.

Footballing IQ is one of the metrics observed and graded with young players by FA's around the world when selecting regional representative teams.
  34. Aug 12, 2017

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

But it's not lack of ability to execute the shot - it's the ability to deliver the right shot at the key time. Appreciate that it's splitting feathers at that stage but if "lack of ability" was an all encompassing turn of phrase then it's fair enough. Just felt there was an additional layer to distinguish between the execution in general and the execution in game.
  35. Aug 12, 2017

Prometheus New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    This thread is funny. People are acting as if this is something scientifically defined! :lol:
  36. Aug 12, 2017

Classical Mechanic Full Member

I don't think he has great decision making. He's a bit greedy and fails to play others in at times. But he has a lot of talent when it come to feinting and dribbling which combined with his physical attributes makes him a very effective player (and rich) a mid level PL club.
  37. Aug 12, 2017

If you have the opportunity to watch Pulisic, use it. He's 18 so he's obviously going to make rookie-mistakes but the kid already plays with a good brain on him.
  38. Aug 12, 2017

It is.
    Its an observable, gradeable and coachable part of football.
  39. Aug 12, 2017

Arbitrium Full Member

If we separate IQ from ability and then start applying it to modern players, those with the highest IQ are pretty high up on the overall ability scale too.

Xavi probably the best example. He would be at the very top of the "footballing IQ" ladder (at least what I understand IQ be) and in terms of ability he's arguably the greatest central midfield player of our generation and undoubtedly one of the greatest of all time.
  40. Aug 12, 2017

I think it exits. But, there is definitely a bias on the type of players whose Footballing IQs get questioned. Like I do not know how you can say a player like Sterling lacks Footballing IQ.