Former Goalkeepers rank current Goalkeepers| Neuer first; De gea seventh

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by prath92, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dec 5, 2017

Emdad Ahmed Full Member

:lol: Nice edit
  2. Dec 5, 2017

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Wrong but good attempt.
  3. Dec 5, 2017

Random Task Full Member

Both good points to be fair and well worth considering in a list such as this.

I do think De Gea's position on this list would significantly higher (top3 minimum) had he signed for Real Madrid, though.
  4. Dec 5, 2017

Suedesi Full Member

Erm, no - he simply isn't.
  5. Dec 5, 2017

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    De Gea lacks exposure among those who don't follow EPL closely and I don't remember him being anything special at the last Euros.

When he gets more opportunities to shine in the later stages of international competitions he will get more recognition. Hopefully for him this spring with MU and this summer with Spain.
  6. Dec 5, 2017

GifLord The gif that keeps on giffing

You do know that if Buffon was replaced by another goalkeeper 5 years ago it still wouldn't change Juventus's final position in the league while Handa saved Inter's ass numerous time in the past few years - he even received one the highest ratings for a goalkeeper by Gazzetta dello sport who are known for their low player ratings system. Without Handa, Inter would have placed even lower in the Serie A while you replace Gigi at Juve and it'll still be the same story.
  7. Dec 5, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    LOL, who cares about the FIFA vote, De Gea received less votes than Alisson ffs. Hardly a great argument to use.

Why are you getting so defensive? I've already said he's still a top keeper, but only somebody incredibly bias such as you would think he's still the best GK in the world.

Get real.
  8. Dec 5, 2017

9. Dec 5, 2017

Charles Miller Full Member

There is no such thing as "wrong" in subjective opinions.
  10. Dec 5, 2017

Globule signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

See Real MAdrid, you already have the better keeper. If you want an upgrade go pester Tottenham.
  11. Dec 5, 2017

And yet somehow you've proven the exception to the rule.
  12. Dec 5, 2017

AndyJ1985 Full Member

Fact is very few people actually watch half the players they talk about. Most internet discussion and lists are based off reputation and FM/FIFA. Anything that involves "top X players" is best ignored.
  13. Dec 5, 2017

Schneckerl New Member

The logical conclusion would be that many just dont watch Utd in recent years
    No conspiracy needed.
  14. Dec 5, 2017

Tarrou Full Member

Yeah fair enough.

Although I don't think it's a conspiracy I just think news outlets do this to click-bait.
  15. Dec 5, 2017

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Not sure why Santiago Cañizares, Francesco Toldo, Mark Schwarzer, Sepp Maier and Lionel Letizi decided to embarrass themselves so.
  16. Dec 5, 2017

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

Supports:
    United
    I've seen some shitty lists but that's probably the worst I've seen relating to football.
  17. Dec 5, 2017

Physiocrat Full Member

I wonder how much football these guys have watched recently. The list seems heavy on reputation built over a number of years rather than their actual current ability
  18. Dec 5, 2017

Aboutreika18 Full Member

For what little its worth, Oblak's had a cracker tonight against Chelsea.
  19. Dec 5, 2017

Very mature this one.
  20. Dec 5, 2017

Barrell of laughs this one.
  21. Dec 5, 2017

No más.
  22. Dec 5, 2017

berbatrick Full Member

:lol:
  23. Dec 5, 2017

James Peril Full Member

LOL at that list. Lloris above de Gea is about as useless as Alli being 130M more valuable than Asensio in that other list yesterday.

And let’s remove Buffon from these things now, he is about the same as Zlatan - super cool, old and not even close to being what he once was. Buffon is slower than ever and doesn’t help the team as much as he once did. Donnarumma also has a lot of stuff to improve, not quite impressed by him. Seems to think he has made it already, but he is way off the best on the list on pure ability. Does help to be called Donnarumma and be that big and play for Milan.
  24. Dec 5, 2017

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    few times that defence failed him he stood on his head. Look at last season's game away to Lyon..

he's still comfortably a top 10 keeper in the world
  25. Dec 5, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

I swear Neuer is so overrated. He's a great GK by any means but I have seen plenty of underwhelming performances as well where I felt like he should have done better.
  26. Dec 5, 2017

Yeah that for sure. Why he's still the best Italian keeper? Just look at the generation from 78-95. I can't find an Italian keeper that had the potential to be good/very good let alone world class - Donnarumma is supposed to have potential to be WC but I still have reservations about him . Just shows how badly the Italians have declined
  27. Dec 5, 2017

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Donnarumma turned 18 this year. We've also got Scuffet and Meret, plus solid second-choices like Perin

Buffon is still the best italian keeper because even in the final season of his career there's no more than 3-4 guys who are better than him

He's quite simply the best ever
  28. Dec 5, 2017

James Peril Full Member

Hmm... Lloris have played for lesser clubs like Lyon and Tottenham, and hasn’t won shit - so not exactly as pr. above. De Gea has like six trophies and plays for the most known club in the world.
  29. Dec 5, 2017

RedFish Full Member

Seventh heaven obviously!
  30. Dec 5, 2017

Harry190 Full Member

They keep putting Courtois in those, but he has actually regressed from his Athletico days, which is quite strange.

The injuries have not helped.
  31. Dec 5, 2017

Physiocrat Full Member

I was mainly thinking that De Gea's dodgy to start to the Utd team years back has coloured perceptions.
  32. Dec 5, 2017

datura Full Member

Where's Joe Hart?
  33. Dec 6, 2017

Hullyback Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    Even as a Liverpool fan I call bollocks on this list. Granted I don't watch a lot of the GKs that aren't based in England but whenever I do watch them in CL or internationals I'm never massively impressed. Neuer never seems far from a clanger, Buffon was immense but very slow now reaction time wise, Lloris let's a lot in that a better keeper would save, Navas - just lol to him, Oblak is the only one that's impressed me when I've watched him.

De Gea is infuriatingly good though, it's not hyperbole to say he's saved United from a few batterings over the years alone and without him you'd not be half the side. The sooner he buggers off to Madrid the better for me, and that's about the highest praise you'll get from a rival.
  34. Dec 6, 2017

Schneckerl New Member

Started a few tournaments for France.

De Gea will get his due, maybe even this year if Spain does well and Utd plays some CL KO games.
  35. Dec 6, 2017

buckooo1978 Full Member

this makes sense if De Gea lost 30 points for his pony tail
  36. Dec 6, 2017

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Mark Schwarzer was on 5 live at the weekend. They actually asked him on DDG and he said great shot stopper but he dosen't think he dominates his eighteen yard box and lets the defenders do the work of heading crosses away too much.

I'll have to look at that but no way he's as bad as Shay Given used to be at failing to come for crosses.

De Gea is top 3 in the world imo.
  37. Dec 6, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    1. Buffon (prime)
    2. De Gea
    3. Neuer
    4. Oblak
    5. Ter Stegen
    6. Courtois
    7. Lloris
    8. Ederson
    9. Navas
    10. Buffon (now)
  38. Dec 6, 2017

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Lack of exposure shouldn't matter if you've got people that know what they are talking about. Fact is ex-professional players don't watch nearly as much football as fans so they don't know what they're talking about. I'm pretty sure most of us in this little forum have watched more games than this "selection of experts". The selection is also a bit weird. A Spaniard, German, Italian, French and to cap off the big leagues and Englishm..no wait it's an Australian.

Just look at the Ballon d'Or each year and see how many people don't put Messi in their top 3. It's like using the Academy Awards as a barometer for a good animated movie when less than 20% of the voters have seen more than 1 animated movie that year.
  39. Dec 6, 2017

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    Shwarzer representing EPL seems fair as he spent the bulk of his career in England. It so happens that he's one of the minority who doesn't rate DDG.

It's just a worthless ranking in a random article from a weekly football magazine so who cares anyway...
  40. Dec 6, 2017

hasanejaz88 New Member

Supports:
    Germany
    What's holding De Gea back is his lack of major trophies. The Europa League is not a major trophy when you're comparing him to players who have won domestic leagues, champions leagues and international trophies. Everyone above him has won or come close to winning a major trophy recently and that certainly influences people's views when judging a player they do not get to see often. It's a sad fact that United fans would have the accept when looking for admiration of De Gea outside of England, and a reason why we shouldn't get so fussed about these lists.

De Gea certainly has an opportunity to become acclaimed by a wide audience this season. United look strongest domestically since after Fergie retired and can also go far in the UCL. Add to that it is a World Cup year and De Gea certainly has to improve on his last outing for Spain in Euro 2016, where he made multiple errors that cost Spain points, especially since Neuer's will be back competing against him with Germany.