Former Goalkeepers rank current Goalkeepers| Neuer first; De gea seventh

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by prath92, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017

strongwalker Full Member

Supports:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm amused about how serious some take this. They asked just 5 people, and they could chose from all active keepers, instead of giving them a list and sort them. From what my pitiful french tells me, some took into account career merit (as with those who ranked Gigi), others didn't.
    All those in that list are exceptionally good, and the ranking is more down to personal liking and ranking preferences than anything else.

Also, i once read an interview with Olli Kahn taken after he resigned from the sport.
    He complained that very few spectators, including well-reputed pundits and former (field) players in his opinion could judge keepers properly. So if former keepers vote up a keeper i wouldn't have thought of initially, i give it some consideration.
    Even Kahn, who is mostly known for his spectacular stops, voiced the opinion that those pulling formidable stunts were not necessarily the best keepers, but those who played in a way to avoid some situations in the first place. In that sector, i don't believe Neuer has an equal. Which is why youtube-clips of his best saves for BM are somewhat underwhelming, as opposed to those showing him playing for the Nationalmannschaft or Schalke. Yet no one denies he's one of the greatest.
    I think this may well be because he not only plays with class teammates on a regular basis, but his own style allows them to clear iffy situations before they get really nasty.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Dec 7, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    I can see it now. Spain vs Germany in the World Cup final comes down to a penalty shootout. De Gea vs Neuer. The winner goes down as the greatest goalkeeper of this generation.
  3. Dec 7, 2017

IronCroos37 New Member

Think I understand the logic of why they chosed that way.
    These old former keepers, maybe they don't follow football as close as we do. They have others issues and places to go, not dwell on the internet or statistics. Also they may have voted on the whole carrer or past seasons. Bufon, Neur and even Lloris are easy picks. Also Navas cause of double CL win. United have been missing from the CL, also very bad runs in the Prem, so De Gea suffered as well, while not being his fault. Actually without him would have been much much worse, but they don't know this.
  4. Dec 7, 2017

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Neuer is definitely the best keeper in the world still. His reflexes are as good or just slightly below De Gea's but he's better in the air, better with his feet and better at organizing the defense. He's also had more great games at bigger stages (big CL games, World Cup, etc) so it's only natural he's more highly rated. De Gea second for now.
  5. Dec 7, 2017

oneniltothearsenal Arse Lover Scout

Supports:
    Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
    For me

1) Neuer
    2) Buffon
    3) De Gea
    4) Navas
    5) Donnarumma
    6) Lloris
    7) Handanovic
    8) Oblak
  6. Dec 7, 2017

Harry190 Full Member

How can a player be the best in the world when he's been out for the past 6 months? Nonsense.

Oblak is top notch though. Perhaps 2nd best in the world. Better than Lloris.
  7. Dec 7, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Neuer has only been out two months
  8. Dec 7, 2017

midnightmare Full Member

Pretty good. I’m happy to know that Real already have a better keeper so won’t want ours. In all seriousness though, why bother looking at this stuff? They interviewed five random keepers who gave opinions (and we don’t know their methodology). Wouldn’t bother.

Am also guessing they agree with Souness that Pogba isn’t world class :lol:
  9. Dec 7, 2017

Red_Aaron Full Member

Manchester United generate more clicks than any other sports team on the planet. I know that sounds like bias but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

This article is designed to do nothing but that, generate clicks to a website. That their twitter announces the article by directly appealing to United fans rather than say 'attention bayern fans neuer is the bestest eva!' says it all.

Personally I hope clubs around the world believe this nonsense and therefore leave ddg to spend his career with us. I wouldn't swap him for anyone
  10. Dec 7, 2017

RoyH1 Full Member

Either they're daft, looking for clicks or they are just taking entire careers into account (including national team performances), and not looking at players as they are now. Buffon was a god 5 years ago, not now.
  11. Dec 7, 2017

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

12. Dec 7, 2017

Charlie Foley Full Member

Since 2012 I think.

Schwarzer was on that a few weeks ok, or maybe the guardian one, and he said De Gea was third best in the league as he didn't control his box well enough
  13. Dec 7, 2017

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Buffon might not be the very best today, but I think he is quite possibly the best of all time if you take into account his whole career.
  14. Dec 7, 2017

Harry190 Full Member

Add last season.
  15. Dec 8, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona

When you look at old Schalke games, I can’t help but feel that Neuer’s talent has been wasted at Bayern. He has nothing to do in 90% of the matches he plays. We almost never get a chance to witness his shot-stopping abilities.
  16. Dec 8, 2017

Synco Full Member

Depends on how you look at it. I think the post from @strongwalker on top of this page gets it exactly right.

Neuer's game is designed to ideally choke off attacks before the opponent can take a shot on goal at all. And the calculation behind it is that this is more effective in preventing goals (even if the increased risk leads to the occasional feck up) than staying close to goal and relying on his shot stopping abilities.

But when called upon, he's still able to show his monster reflexes. See the saves he made against Benz, Bale and Ronaldo at the Allianz Arena last season for example, or against Ukraine at the 2016 EUROs.

A good example for the benefits of preemptive keeping is a scene from the same game (starting at 3:45):

If you pause repeatedly while the ball is travelling, it becomes clear how much closer the attacking player is to that quite perfect pass than Neuer, and it's clear the attacker will get to the ball first. I don't think many keepers would have come out of their six-yard box for that one and left their goal open behind them. But that's Neuer's style, and if he would have let the player cross, there was a good chance for an attacker to connect. Maybe he could have saved it with a reflex, maybe not, but this way this question never arised. So while this scene ends up being totally unrememberable, it's actually top notch goalkeeping because of that. A good example for the perception problem @strongwalker has described.

There are other problems as well with the notion Neuer has nothing to do 90% of the time imo, as he is instrumental to his two teams' build up play and the stability of their high defensive lines. In terms of passing, defying pressing and controlling large areas in front of his goal. I think in many ways he's actually a more active and influential player than most other keepers, it's just less of the classic goalkeeping stuff percentage-wise.
  17. Dec 8, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Bless them they do try...
  18. Dec 8, 2017

Cristiano Lell BANNED LOLZ

Supports:
    Bayern München
    That only makes sense if you equate GK talent and tasks with shot-stopping.

It's just not accurate to say that Neuer had 'nothing to do', as his positioning and sweeping itself is what gives that impression. You can't only count shot-stopping as what goal keepers 'do'.
    As others have noted, he squashes many actions outside of his box with his foot that would lead to 1v1s with other goalies. The other day vs PSG there was such an example, where Cavani (I believe) had an 1v1 that he wouldn't have had with Neuer in goal. Neuer revels in a high line playing team, and his game is integral for stopping counters. He was very vocal in stating how much he enjoyed playing under Pep, for example.
    Besides, he also pulls off really extraordinary saves more often than it appears. He's just making them look casual.
    He did have a few bad games in recent years too, though. The CL last 16 vs Juve 2015/16 he made a couple of rather bad mistakes.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  19. Dec 8, 2017

KingMinger22 City >>> United. Moaning twat

This is simply a reflection of United’s recent stature, not DDGs.
  20. Dec 8, 2017

Slimcharles69 Banned Scouse Lover

Supports:
    MK Dons
    I don’t get why he’s so underrated by neutrals. Not only that but neuer has been injured and was crap before that even, so ranking him as the best doesn’t make sense at all
  21. Dec 8, 2017

strongwalker Full Member

Supports:
    FC Bayern München
    Not only that. In a defense situation, usually defender 1 attacks the guy with the ball, the other defenders cover the free men, but also have to be alert in case defender 1 gets beaten in a 1-1. That is the role Neuer supplies, so the other defenders can be closer to their man. The whole def line can stand higher as a result, and provide passingstations after the ball is won back. It adds basically one more man to the build-up play and affects how the whole team can be arranged, giving often the vital man more in a given area.

That is true for many of those rankings.