Gary Neville on Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Havak, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Mar 5, 2012

NextSeason Full Member

"It's like they're making it up as they go along." - spot on.
  2. Mar 5, 2012

Drainy Full Member

was hilarious when his voice went an octave or two higher
  3. Mar 5, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Loved his dig at Rafa too

4. Mar 5, 2012

Cina Shagawa Baby!

I'm loving him and Souness together. They're the best 2 pundits on TV and compliment each other very well. They both also try to be very unbiased which at times makes them a bit overly cynical though.
  5. Mar 19, 2012

Cling Bak Hi, I'm Barry Scott

6. Mar 19, 2012

Will Absolute Full Member

Interesting piece that - from the 'horses mouth'.

So far in his fledgling career, I'd say that Neville ties Hansen - they're equally good in their different ways.

Lynam gets Souness spot on, but I think 'auld lang syne' influences his ratings for Lawrensen. He comes as close as possible to saying Shearer is a bore - which he is.

I don't agree with his rating of Collymore. I've only heard him once - off camera against Bilbao the other night - but he was good.
  7. Mar 25, 2012

JazzG Resident Arse.

Thought this guy was a complete dickhead when he was a player and I must say did think WTF when I heard Sky were recruiting him as their analyst. One thing is for sure the guys at Sky have done a brilliant job at polishing him up for TV, he looks very assured and confident on TV which is something some people don't and he is very good at his his point across clearly. However one thing they couldn't teach him and this comes from him is his analysing skills. For the first time in god knows how many years we have a half decent analyst on the tele. I used to switch the TV off at full time but now will actually sit back to wait to hear what he has to say. He is doing a brilliant job and surprisingly has remained quite neutral throughout.

The likes of Hansen, Shearer and that other Liverpool player week in week out just point out the bleeding obvious and offer little to no insight. I just don't understand why the hell BBC even persist with them. Dixon is alright still and I enjoy watching hi,
  8. Mar 25, 2012

AKDevil Full Member

What you want from a pundit is for them to tell you things you don't know and G Dot does that better than any pundit in the business.
    Virtually all the pundits have played before but few use the benefit of their experience as well as Neville does.
    Easily the best pundit on TV.
  9. Mar 25, 2012

John_Jensen Full Member

I'd agree with this but what i'd add is that there is a genuine enthusiasm that comes across in his analysis. It's evident that he's been following the season closely(and not just 1 team's season), knows the fixtures that are coming up, knows the form the team's he's commenting on is in and the actual factors that are contributing to that form.

It's a real breath of fresh air as opposed to the tired old faces being rolled out and repeating the same old soundbites after watching 10mins of highlights.
  10. Mar 25, 2012

JazzG Resident Arse.

I think unfortunately in this country most players are simply just go out and do their job and don't really have a true insight into how things work and have a deep understanding on a technical level. I remember Leonardo on BBC once during the World Cup and just made you think about things differently and was fascinated listening to him. None of the English players really seem to have a clue, like brainless sheep.

I still think there is a gaping hole in our TV Schedule where I'd love to see an hour long show every Sunday night where they would talk about football matters on a more deep and technical level rather than the shit we got at the moment
  11. Mar 25, 2012

John_Jensen Full Member

Agreed, it's a shame the powers that be think all we want is Soccer Saturday and "Merse & Thommo" etc
  12. Mar 25, 2012

kouroux Full Member

We more or less have the same issues in France with the Canal + coverage of football.Much like Sky the presentation is really good but when it comes to analyzing the intricate aspect of football only one or two pundits know their stuff.
    Reynald Denoueix (the former Nantes and Real Sociedad coach) is for me the best one.The most knowledgeable and the one who explain complicated things very simply.He's a La Liga expert and he's too good in comparison to the usual pundits
  13. Mar 25, 2012

Drainy Full Member

He used to do guest co-commentary for FA Youth cup games on MUTV while he still played for United. You can definitely tell he had some experience before they signed him up for Sky.
  14. Mar 25, 2012

Amir Full Member

Is there a country that doesn't have an issue with its TV commentators? Most of the pundits in Israel - yeah, I know, just Israel - are a bunch of guys who were the top footballers in this country, and have absolutely NOTHING of any interest to say. They are only chosen because of who they were. They make Shearer sound refreshingly interesting.
  15. Mar 26, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Talking about Tony V.

''No fannyin'' :lol:
  16. Mar 26, 2012

GE Captain Rio

"He's a dream to have at the club, he doesn't do any outside of the foot passes, no messing about, no fannying"

:lol:
  17. Mar 26, 2012

Sally Cinnamon Full Member

:lol: that was brilliant.
  18. Mar 26, 2012

Brophs The one and only

Gaz knows where the line is....talking about fannies is okay, talking about smashing them isn't.

Good lad.
  19. Mar 26, 2012

Dobba Full Member

Less fannying, more crosses.
  20. Mar 26, 2012

LoveInTheAsylum Full Member

Missed postmatch but that pre-game bit on Liverpool was almost poetry, he was clearly channeling Ron Manager at times.
  21. Mar 26, 2012

Snake Plissken Aka LTS10

No fannying :lol:
  22. Mar 26, 2012

WR RedCafe FIFA League Season 1 Winner

Says his favourite ever United goal was the Ronaldo header vs Roma.
  23. Mar 26, 2012

7dan Full Member

Its getting tickly now–squeaky-bum time, I call it
    mine too :eek: love that goal
  24. Mar 26, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

It's definitely up there amongst my favourites, it was a sensational header.
  25. Mar 26, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Didnt agree with him about Danny Rose's volley being the best of all those ones mentioned.
  26. Mar 26, 2012

Snake Plissken Aka LTS10

Really enjoyed that tonight.

Neville's been superb for Sky. I thought he'd suck in all honesty, but hes been brilliant.

Liked that segment on Ronaldo too
  27. Mar 26, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

Yea, especially where he said "we shouldn't be talking about either Ronaldo or Messi, we should be enjoying watching both".

Some on here could do well to take heed of that.
  28. Mar 26, 2012

Unam333 Full Member

Was good today Gary, though like Neville better in the studio giving analysis than during games commentating.
  29. Mar 26, 2012

GE Captain Rio

MNF was brilliant tonight. The bit on Ronaldo was good.
  30. Mar 26, 2012

Snake Plissken Aka LTS10

Liked when they read out the twitter question 'Would messi succeed in the premier league' and Neville just sarcastically said 'erm no' :lol:

Some great clips of Ronaldo, amazing transformation to go through.

Compare Neville's punditry to that of Jamie Redknapp, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson, Alan Shearer, Dwight Yorke and others, its night and day.

Neville really breaks everything down for you and its actually interesting to watch and listen to.
  31. Mar 26, 2012

Skywarden Full Member

How Scholes spotted Ronaldo I will never know.
  32. Mar 26, 2012

Antisocial Full Member

Had to rewind that to be sure I heard right :lol:
  33. Mar 27, 2012

His knowledge is outstanding. He plucks numbers, fixtures, results and examples from nowhere when clearly a point or question has come out of the blue. Some footie fans can do this, but I rarely see pundits either bother to have the knowledge/do the research or have the composure to bring it to the table. He does it all the time and its very impressive.

His passion is good, but his tactical points are spot on. As are the little points he adds on what being a player on a matchday is like, for example. A young viewer could have no idea that Alan Shearer has outscored every Premier League striker ever. You'd never know it, watching his analysis.
  34. Mar 27, 2012

charleysurf Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

Excellent analysis of why Man City have struggled a little more in away games lately:

35. Mar 27, 2012

GIT Z RED Full Member

He's little spot when M
  36. Mar 27, 2012

GIT Z RED Full Member

His little spot about Modric telling Bale to push out wide was good. Didnt even see that when I was watching the game.
  37. Mar 27, 2012

AVARiCE Full Member

The Neviller's absolutely quality. I know it's a bit rich but my favourite thing about his career as a punditry is also how he's getting so much out of Ed Chamberlain as well. Since Keys left, I've always felt as though Sky have struggled to find a quality host. The man best suited to the job, in my opinion, was Stelling and he's got other commitments. Chamberlain was really straight-faced and boring, possibly even a little stiff.

However, the two of them as a studio team really works. Gary seems to make Ed a better host and Ed seems to make the most of Gary's encyclopedic knowledge. I dunno, they just seem to click really well on-screen which somehow makes it that much more easy to watch. It's certainly better than watching Rebecca Lowe trying to coax intelligent life out of the "pundits" on ESPN. MNF is actually becoming a decent programme to watch and not just another game tacked onto the end of a weekend.

I agree that it'd be nice to see a programme put together purely for a summary of the weekend's action offering pundit's views. I never thought I'd see that as a good idea but Gary does make it so much better.
  38. Mar 27, 2012

Agree with all.

I did used to enjoy a lot of Gray's punditry on MNF and The Last Word, where he'd add lots more detail. He did pick out some good stuff you wouldn't normally spot. Neville, to his credit, is bettering it though.
  39. Mar 27, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

:lol: are you allowed to say fannying on sky sports?
  40. Mar 27, 2012

Laphroaig Full Member