General Election 2010: The Governance of Football

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by B Cantona, May 4, 2010.

1. May 4, 2010

B Cantona Desperate

To see who this was posted in conjunction with, visit RedCafe.net Blog

[​IMG]

Last week, I extended an invitation to all three major UK political parties to put forward their case to win the ‘football supporters’ vote. I asked them to provide a short passage, detailing their party’s stance on the key issues affecting the football community at present – I suggested specifically club ownership safeguards, immigration policy and its possible effect on football transfers, regulation regarding ticket prices, and the possibility of standing at top level football matches – and how these areas of interest would change should their party ascend to power after Thursdays vote. I contacted each party directly via their website, and also the seemingly most relevant standing candidate from each, via email. I proposed that should they wish to connect with the electorate on this issue, I would publish their statement unedited, and free from political bias. Here are their responses…

Hugh Robertson, Shadow Sports and Olympics Spokesman, Member of Parliament for Faversham and Mid Kent. The Conservative Party.

The Conservative Party agrees that football's finances and governance need reform - although we should also acknowledge that the England Football team is in a better shape than for some time, the Premier League is the best league in the world and we have an exciting bid being assembled to host the 2018 Football World Cup which The Conservative Party will do everything to back. Not everything in football is doom and gloom!

Sport should govern itself so, if we are elected on 6 May, we would ask the Football Association, Premier League and Football League to bring forward new, and tougher, regulations on the transparency of football club finances, the Fit and Proper Persons Test for owners, the level of debt which we would allow clubs to carry and governance - by which we mean ensuring that there is better and more independent representation on boards controlling clubs and football organisations. We also want to examine ways to make it easier for supporters, and supporters groups, to get involved in the running of their clubs.

If this fails, a Conservative government would intervene. We have not finally decided exactly how but two options under consideration are an independent regulator and legislation. However, I hope that football will recognise both that there is a problem and that there is a strong national mood for change and act accordingly.

Gerry Sutcliffe, Minister for Sport and Tourism, Member of Parliament for Bradford South. The Labour Party.

Mr. Sutcliffe and the Labour party failed to respond to their invitation

Don Foster, Shadow Culture, Media and Sport Secretary and the Olympics, Member of Parliament for Bath. The Liberal Democrat Party.

Mr. Foster and the Liberal Democrat party failed to respond to their invitation
  2. May 4, 2010

B Cantona Desperate

3. May 4, 2010

KingMinger22 City >>> United. Moaning twat

Good on him for the comments.

Shame on the other two!
  4. May 5, 2010

Raven Blade Dull

That's a reassuring answer and I will bear this in mind when it comes to voting.

Now what a wasted opportunity that was for those who didnt respond to your request.
  5. May 5, 2010

rednev God Save My Gracious Queen

Hugh Robertson forgot to mention the tax cuts his party would give to millionaire Premier League players at the expense of everyone else.
  6. May 5, 2010

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

In the Blue Corner; The Conservatives/Chelsea: Desperately vying to get back into power after what seems like an age of Labour dominancy, the Blues are in the driving seat, and will only fail to reclaim the title through their own ineptitude. Lead by a man perceived to be hugely out of touch with reality – but who presents himself as a man of the people – their long-term weakness lies in their creakingly aged squad. Their last stint at the top was engineered by a hugely charismatic, egomaniacal and divisive figure, and they’ve struggled to fill those shoes since with a succession of drab, uninteresting frog-like people. Unstable in Europe and frequently rocked by sordid scandal in the past, this win could reinvigorate them for the foreseeable future.

In the Red Corner; The Labour Party/Manchester United: Tenuously clinging on to power after a long and successful reign, the Reds look weaker this season after the loss of their preening, vain, dishonest but talismanic figurehead, who’s buggered off to sunnier climbs to top up his tan. Lead by a grouchy and volatile Scottish bully disliked by the media at large, they’ve often been accused in the last few years of abandoning their core values and adopting their rivals more conservative tactics. Their support base remains angry over the large amount of debt they’ve gotten themselves into, and they’ll need a slip up from the opposition to remain in power for another term. Much more successful in Europe than their main competitors, but their “special relationship” with the USA has many within their ranks concerned.

....sorry, I got bored
  7. May 5, 2010

esmufc14 9 Pages of infractions

:lol:
  8. May 5, 2010

Alwyn Got rid of his pee

Nice Mockney. Maybe mention 3 consecutive terms for the reds.
  9. May 5, 2010

rednev God Save My Gracious Queen

Very good.

You could've mentioned that the captain of the Blues wants to feck single mothers.
  10. May 5, 2010

:lol:...damn, I knew I'd missed something.
  11. May 5, 2010

Lebowski Full Member

:lol: Brilliant read.
  12. May 5, 2010

Plechazunga Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan

Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
    To paraphrase the Tory spokesman: "We're in favour of Good Things, but when it comes to Bad Things, well we're against them."

Class
  13. May 5, 2010

green demon Caf Nostradamous 2008

Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
    Very clever and witty.
  14. May 5, 2010

Marching Somehow still supports Leeds

:lol:
  15. May 5, 2010

RK Full Member

Isn't it against FIFA regulations for governments to get involved in certain areas of football? I could be looking at this from the wrong way though.
  16. May 5, 2010

Chorley1974 Lady Ole

Upsetting to see th club I love linked with a party I despise.:(
  17. May 5, 2010

RedPhil1957 Full Member

what a load of rubbish!
  18. May 5, 2010

RedPhil1957 Full Member

so very true
  19. May 5, 2010

You wouldn't get on with Fergie then..
  20. May 5, 2010

Plechazunga Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan

Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
    There's absolutely no question about that.
  21. May 5, 2010

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's

This.
  22. May 5, 2010

B Cantona Desperate

I know that's the case with national teams and organisations, if the government decides to say replace them all. But clubs still have to operate under the rules of their countries government, so there's plenty of scope there. I'm sure any attempts to make dramatic changes would be bounced around the law courts mind
  23. May 7, 2010