George Best: All By Himself

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by MaxiPaxi, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Jun 19, 2017

MaxiPaxi most absorbent username 2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08s3wxj

Will be availbe on BBC iPlayer soon.

What a show. Would recommend this to everyone.
  2. Jun 19, 2017

Badunk Shares his caf joinday with Dante

The GOAT, I don't care what anyone says.
  3. Jul 15, 2017

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

Just watched this. Heart breaking. A true legend entirely beaten by alcohol.

Also makes me realise how cruel fans can be. All that pressure and exposure could force anyone down that route.

Add to the fact that was the drinking era, his mum was an alcoholic and he was the first real celebrity footballer and what chance did he have.

A real shame to see an absolute legend and hero destroyed that way. He might have been a player before my time, but his quality endures.
  4. Jul 15, 2017

jackofalltrades Full Member

At the end his agent says he took that photo of him on his deathbed because he a contract wth the News of the World.:mad:
  5. Jul 21, 2017

Carolina Red Full Member

Finally watching this on ESPN 30 for 30 right now. Awesome documentary
  6. Jul 21, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Full Member

Best was a piece of shit if we're being honest. But what a natural talent.

He died young because of his poor decision making. He couldn't take the 2nd chance he was given, which is very sad.
  7. Jul 21, 2017

Stack Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Oh go suck a big fat goat dick
  8. Jul 21, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Full Member

He was a woman beater who kept drinking after being given another chance at rebuilding his life. This is a fact.

Because he had magical feet, people give him a pass. If he was an average Joe, people wouldn't be so lenient. That's life.
  9. Jul 21, 2017

Rolandofgilead Inserts strawberry yoghurt rectally

There is a quote from Alex herself saying that she would often give George black eyes etc. I am not nor would i ever condone the hitting of women, but i thought i would just add a little context.

As for your second point, I think that you should probably do a little research on how addiction affects people and how it isn't a case of 'just stopping' It is a constant daily battle. Now whether or not i agree that he should have been given a new liver is neither here nor there, the point is that you cannot have a pop at a man who suffered with a severe addiction for not doing what he should have done.
  10. Jul 21, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Full Member

I'm well aware about the effects of addiction. I know people who have had successful transplants and stayed clear, and I know an alcoholic barman who hasn't touched a drop for almost 25 years. I have worked with people in the mental health industry. George Best had enough people around him to make a change, but he failed at every hurdle. Sky even gave a handy job on Soccer Saturday to keep him busy. He was not a good guy.
  11. Jul 21, 2017

MaxiPaxi most absorbent username 2017

:rolleyes:
  12. Jul 21, 2017

Rolandofgilead Inserts strawberry yoghurt rectally

Yep of course because addiction obviously effects everybody the same and everybody deals with depression and alcohol in the same efficiant manner.
  13. Jul 21, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Full Member

There are survivors in life, though. I don't expect people to tarnish a Manchester United legend. This is the world that we live in. Unfortunately.

Good day.
  14. Jul 21, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Life makes a lot more sense when you stop looking at things in black and white. There is few good people or bad people and mostly just people.
  15. Jul 21, 2017

superdry touched by a genius

Ban this blasphemous poster!
  16. Jul 21, 2017

Hoof The Ball Full Member

If Best played in the modern age he'd have broken Cole's ankles too

[​IMG]
  17. Jul 21, 2017

Did you actually watch this documentary?
  18. Jul 21, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Full Member

I have watched countless George Best documentaries and interviews with family members and friends.
  19. Jul 21, 2017

So with your understanding of the affects of addiction and your experiences with reformed alcoholics, plus your close connections with people in the mental health industry, you can flippantly judge one of the greatest footballers the world has ever seen ( deeply flawed as he was) as "a piece of shit"? For me mate you can shove your opinion where the sun don't shine. If you was half as understanding of his tortured state as you are judgemental, you would surely think a little more before you write such a disgusting comment.... on a United forum and all!
  20. Jul 21, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Full Member

Your post just proved my point about society and the need to champion someone.

Because he was a United player, he gets a pass. Okay mate. I like your thinking.
  21. Jul 21, 2017

So missed the bit about not drinking for 3 years and not having a day in that time he didn't think about alcohol? Or bit about an alcoholic mother? Or friends saying they didn't do enough to turn him away from it? Or bit about drinking culture of that age? Or not recognising alcoholism as a mental issue back then?

Oh and the depression of not managing to maintain his own standards and of being the first real football icon.
  22. Jul 21, 2017

So anyone who cannot get over their addiction, and the behaviour that is often part of it is a piece of shit, your wrong mate, star or not.
  23. Jul 21, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Full Member

Anyone can relapse. But to relapse after being gifted with the organ of another is shameful. His wife and son should have been all the motivation he needed to stay clear of it. The way Calum talks about him is very sad. At the end of the day, people keep painting him as shy. But he obviously liked the attention at that time. He liked the parties, he liked the women, and he liked the perks of being El Beatle. Why are there so many rumours about affairs with regards to his first marriage? Based on the John Terry thread, that's actually not so bad. He even accused his own son of having an affair with Alex. People didn't try to help him? Harry Gregg tore the head off him at a dinner party for his behaviour and basically asked him why he didn't show the world more. Sky, notorious for giving old pros a dig out, didn't give him a job on Soccer Saturday? He wasn't being financially aided by others after losing most of his fortune? George is the one who let his own standards slip when he walked out on the club. He didn't do enough to stay fit and rebuild a career. It was one move after another. You don't see people sympathising with Ravel Morrison for pissing away his career after growing up in a troubled environment. But Best always seems to get more sympathy than most other high profile cases.
  24. Jul 21, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Full Member

His actions throughout his life, in my opinion. I don't really want to keep going on and on about it, so maybe stop quoting me and get on with your life. Thanks.
  25. Jul 21, 2017

We need an rvn Full Member

Thought you had left this thread??? You're so far off this one you should honestly just stop, and I'm saying that politely as you're making yourself look like an absolute careless ......

What people are saying is that it has nothing to do with best being a legend / goat / etc. Addiction affects everyone differently and who are we to say how he should have handled it. He did the best he could so just let it go man.
  26. Jul 21, 2017

montpelier Full Member

He should have got away from Utd a few years before he did. Club didn't want to do anything after 1968 or didn't know what to do.

Best accomplished some kind of comeback around the America / Fulham time - that looked pretty obvious to me. Too little, too late kinda thing, though.
  27. Jul 22, 2017

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Comparing the careers of Ravel Morrison to George Best, I've really read it all now. One went on a downfall and spiralled out of control after achieving pretty much everything in the game (at least domestically) at the age of 22. I've give you a clue, it wasn't Ravel.
  28. Jul 22, 2017

Acole9 Outstanding

I watched this the other week, if there's one player I wish I had seen play live it would be him.
  29. Jul 22, 2017

Hullyback Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    I second this. Him or prime Maradona. Undoubtedly Best as I'm technically old enough to have seen Maradona, but not Best at his, err best.