Giving young players a chance - enjoy it

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by SER19, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018

haram Full Member

You want him to start McTominay every week? And then when it doesn't work who will you blame?
  2. Feb 4, 2018

Number1 Banned Verified Moaner

Agree with OP, but truth is Scott McTommy is not glam enough for people, that's why there's a negative(ish) reaction to him.

If it was Angel Gomes or Tahith Chong, people would be like :drool:
  3. Feb 4, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

3904(Oct 37)
  4. Feb 4, 2018

Camy89 Love Island obsessive

I see. So you want youth prospects to start away at City and Liverpool yeah?

That'll do their confidence a world of good. Awesome management mate *thumbs up*
  5. Feb 4, 2018

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

What a shit post.
  6. Feb 4, 2018

Sterling Archer Full Member

We have had a lot of substitute appearances and starts for academy/youth players at the end of the season once the race is over. But when was the last time we had a start let alone a CM (Rashers Macheda aside) in the middle of the season while still competing for so much? There's probably a name I'm forgetting and that's the best part . Very happy for McTominay.
  7. Feb 4, 2018

Nevilles.Wear.Prada Full Member

Supports:
    JDT
    Verbal diarrhea.
  8. Feb 4, 2018

Supports:
    JDT
    He did the basics rigth. One good forward pass Irrc. More will come with time and experience. All in all, if he kick on, its all well and good, we will have a decent squad option with carrick, felliani and herrera (?) leaving. If not, last month and yesterdays games might turned convince some scouts in the lower Divisions for a loan spell.
    Either way, giving youths a chance at home against weaker sides hurts no one. The experienced players can get a breather also, upcoming stars will know we give kids a chance and might prefer as too.
    Its all rosey at the moment.
  9. Feb 4, 2018

Supports:
    JDT
    In a perfect world, there will be a day when FIFA would limit only 7 purchased players in the match day squad, with limit of two purchased players in the squad per season, 100mil transfer limit per season.

Guess who would still be challenging. Thats right. Not city, not arsenal, not chelsea and maybe not even liverpool.
  10. Feb 4, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

I think any negative reaction to McTominay starting was just because it’s McTominay. If it were the caf’s favourite son Angel Gomes starting, even at 17, everyone would have been thrilled.
  11. Feb 4, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

City have fantastic young players, and the best coach, so would quite possibly still win the league.
  12. Feb 4, 2018

Supports:
    JDT
    How dare you break my bubble, you sir.. You suck.
  13. Feb 4, 2018

Lj82 Full Member

He is still raw, but I'm really impressed with his attitude. He took a few very rough challenges in the match, but he never shy away. Sometimes mental fortitude is as important, if not more important, than talent.
  14. Feb 4, 2018

BenjaminP Banned

It's quite enjoyable to see young lads given chances. But whether we can enjoy seeing them or not, really depends on the result of the game.
    IF we had lost or tied Huddersfield game, McTominay and Jose's decision would without a doubt be the main culprit.
    At the end of the day, we won & young lad got 90 minutes & Hooray!
  15. Feb 4, 2018

Supports:
    JDT
    Yea. He had me buzzing, just like gibson, possebon, kleberson, djemba2, januzaj and liam miller did before him. Im cautiously optimistic with him. Hopefully not this case..
  16. Feb 5, 2018

Lj82 Full Member

Point taken, but Miller? Seriously?!
  17. Feb 5, 2018

Supports:
    JDT
    Dude, he was so highly rated that time, even though i knew he is from leeds i think that time, was painful watching him going missing, just like the other dude adam ljajic or something..
  18. Feb 5, 2018

MAME DIOUF 32 Full Member

How many accounts does Jose have on this forum? You'd think he'd brought through a new class of 92, not given McTominay a couple of games.
  19. Feb 5, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Rashford plays in literally every game he is available for...Lingard is having his best season ever.
  20. Feb 5, 2018

MAME DIOUF 32 Full Member

Rashford was a key player under van Gaal. Lingard is 25.
  21. Feb 5, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

He's only brought Mctominay through hasn't he?
  22. Feb 5, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Are we talking about archaeologists or managers? It doesn't matter whether Rashford was discovered by LVG and played half a season under him; he has deficiencies in his game and is a young developing player who gets lots of minutes.

Lingard is 25, but this is the first time he has been given an opportunity in his favoured position. Lingard was pegged as an average player but was given the chance to shine.
  23. Feb 5, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Has the criteria for a manager now changed that not only does he have to give youth a chance but he has to be the one who brings them to the team (despite most managers these days only being at a club 2-3 years)

Mourinho has stuck with the youth we have and introduced mctominay too which is something many people insisted would not happen.
  24. Feb 5, 2018

borrays New Member

We have youngsters for positions we desperately need. Just take a look at youngsters we have in our disposal:

-Axel Tuanzebe for CB position
    -Tim Fosu Mensah for RB & DM position
    -Andreas Perreira for RM & AMC position
    -Angel Gomes for a no 10 position

The problem lies on whether they'll be given chance by Jose and whether our fans will be patient enough when things go south while these youngsters are learning their trades.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2018
  25. Feb 5, 2018

SER19 Full Member

You're forgetting to apply the mourinho clauses. Come on get it right, if mourinho appears to get praise always add a random mitigating clause. Hope this helps
  26. Feb 5, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

It seems so, the reason why giving youth a chance is commendable is because you often have to sacrifice qualities to play them. Young players are rough around the edges and inconsistent; so it takes courage to play them regularly.

Rashford gets minutes on the LW in important games and as a striker in the cups. This is very important for his development.
  27. Feb 5, 2018

The Mad Manc Full Member

:lol:
  28. Feb 5, 2018

reelworld Full Member

yeah, I feared the worst really when he took that hit (should've been a fecking penalty for us really). But he carry on like nothing happened. Really chuffed for him
  29. Feb 5, 2018

Rake Full Member

I love how people slate Jose for playing McT against a weaker opposition... The best time to play youngster is vs weaker teams when you have a decent core of players and can leave 1-2 out without that upsetting the overall play of the team. Once they have a few matches and are settled better (since training can't really prepare you for the intensity of real games) then you can start playing them against better teams as well.

Throwing youngsters against the top teams is a recipe for disaster and could really hinder their development.
  30. Feb 5, 2018

Turnip Full Member

Full praise to Jose, Mctominay has been putting in consistent performances and deserved a chance in a league game, and there was never going to be a better chance since Pogba was clearly never going to start. Can't expect him to start anything but the best team available in tougher matches, just as Fergie didn't unless there was a specific aspect of a young player he wanted to use.
  31. Feb 5, 2018

Murray3007 Full Member

Always love seeing a young player get a chance up to them to take it, think Mctominay has always done pretty well in most of the games he's played, hopefully he gets more chances during the rest of the season, seeing some of Herrera and Fellaini's performances this season i would rather he played, could see him Matic and Pogba in a 3 being pretty good. only thing some times he takes a easy pass rather then trying to attack a bit more, but sure that will come with the more games he gets and confidence.
  32. Feb 5, 2018

downunder red New Member

It was a breath of fresh air to see some of the challenges he copped and the way he just got up carried on. Brought back memories of the old days. Hopefully he gets more game time with the busy schedule coming up. With fellani injured he will be handy to give the midfielders a rest.
  33. Feb 5, 2018

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

Exactly this
  34. Feb 6, 2018

Lj82 Full Member

He was from Celtic. There were people who likened him to Keane, simply because of his nationality and the position he played in. But I don't recall a single game where he got people excited, unlike some of the other names you cited who could be classified as "flash in pan".
  35. Feb 6, 2018

Supports:
    JDT
    Its about balance. Not everybody have to do everything all the time. His job is to keep it tidy so pogba can play up ahead with freedom. Matic can be the defensive mid while mct can support them both. Should be ok.
  36. Feb 6, 2018

Fergus' son Gets very easily confused

He's given Mctominay minutes and has seemingly set aside two our front four attacking positions to be filled by either Martial/Rashford/Lingard.

I like the balance of youth and experience he seems to be instilling.
  37. Feb 6, 2018

minoo-utd Full Member

SAF speaking to Jose on Mctominay today.
  38. Feb 6, 2018

Henry Gaervell New Member

It's a great feeling when youth gets a chance.

Rashford and Lingaard are now stalwart members of the squad, while McTom is becoming a regular in the matchday. If we count Pogba, that's four academy graduates who are regulars.

I'm looking forward to the next season for the next tranche of youngsters to come through. I'd be very surprised if our three main loanees did not feature. Personally I'd replace the rotation/ fringe players of Fellani, Blind and Darmian with Perreira, Tunzebe and TFM.

Chong and Gomes appear to be the standouts of those still at the club. If Chong keeps doing his thing in an attacking right position, then we he could feature sooner rather than later in what is one of our weaker positions.

Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic with youth, but looking at our squad I believe that we only need three signings max to bolster our squad for the foreseeable future.
    - A centre mid as a priority (that Dacoure looks the kind of midfielder I had in mind),
    - A right winger if we don't play Sanchez there (dare I say Mahrez?)
    - A a right back* to replace Valencia. Although Young could probably go there for at least a season

Existing players and our youth conveyor belt should see to the rest.

* Tunzebe and TFM can play there as cover, but I think they are best in the centre
  39. Feb 7, 2018

diarm Full Member

I'd add Demetri Mitchell to those players you've named Henry. Even this early on he seems to be really grasping his opportunity on loan up at Hearts.
  40. Feb 7, 2018

Henry Gaervell New Member

Good point. Understand he has got a few man of the matches there already.

He might find his pathway into the team a little harder, but as I see young moving to right back (Valencia has physical issues unfortunately), he could be the direct back up to Shaw.

We have a few others out on loan like wil son, poole, Henderson and Cameron BJ. These lads are either very far away from the first team in terms of their development, or are being loaned out as 'resettlement'.

Take Wilson for example, I really can't see him making it at united and has spent most of the last 5 years on loan. This could be a case of putting him in the shop window so that a team pick him up in the summer. We arn't going to get much money for these type of players, so it's more for their benefit than the club. Nice policy if you think about it - shows that we care about our academy players, even those that won't make it here.