Glenn Hoddle

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by MaxiPaxi, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Feb 21, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

How good was he as a player?

How good was he as manager? I know he came out with some crazy shit that cost him the England job but from what I remember he was pretty good.

As a pundit, I think he can read the game very well and in general I don't he's that bad.

He's pretty likeable bloke I think.
  2. Feb 21, 2018

cyberman Full Member

He used the word swaz last week and it has vastly lowered my opinion of him.
  3. Feb 21, 2018

Stobzilla Official Team Perv

Can't say I agree, I like the word "swaz".

I remember Hoddle doing wonders with what was a perennially shite Southampton. Had them mid table/near the top half when they were usually near the foot of the table. Definitely became the catalyst for them thinking bigger.

Ruined the England opportunity for himself though.

My Dad says he was a phenomenal player, just never looked like he could be arsed and never really did it for England as a player.
  4. Feb 21, 2018

He did :lol: nevertheless, I think he's quite good. Also think he's unbiased like some other pundits. I'd love to hear how good he was. From what I hear he is one of the best English players ever.
  5. Feb 21, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Okayish commentator.
  6. Feb 21, 2018

I know it sounds ridiculous but I just can't picture him being a phenomenal player like every person who saw him live describes his as.
  7. Feb 21, 2018

Gazza Magic Carpet Pilot

He did really well with England to be fair. That performance vs Argentina, with ten men for 75 minutes, was pretty impressive. Could be argued Hoddle's stubborn refusal to play Owen earlier in the tournament meant we finished 2nd in our group. Think we would have played Croatia instead who were pretty good that year too I suppose.
  8. Feb 21, 2018

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

Painfully dull but I'll take that over stupidity from Savage.
  9. Feb 21, 2018

Skubah New Member

I am only 23 so he was before my time but my old man says he was utterly fantastic. In his words he says when you talk about English greats then he needs to be mentioned and the videos I have watched of him it does seem like he was a classy player. He was adored in Monaco.

In terms of his managerial career I have no idea but the players who played under him said he was good so there's that.

I like him as a commentator.
  10. Feb 21, 2018

langster DJ Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow! Scout

Hoddle was an outstanding player. His range of passing was exquisite and I think only Beckham and Scholes could even come close to him in that area if we use English players as comparisons.
  11. Feb 21, 2018

That's quite a statement. Was he really that good? Who would you compare him to in the modern game?
  12. Feb 21, 2018

Yes he was that good. Easily. I always struggle with comparisons because most players are completely different in many ways. Hoddle could tackle, he wasn't lightening fast but didn't need to be because his vision and passing and positional sense were his main assets. He could take a blistering free kick and he could head the ball well too.

He was strong and could hold the ball up and his link up play was amazing too. But as I said it was his passing range and vision that set him apart from many hence why he did so well abroad.
  13. Feb 21, 2018

He sounds to me a bit like KdB? Why isn't talked about one of the best English players to grace the game, or am I missing something?
  14. Feb 21, 2018

I always thought he was spoken about highly. He certainly is by my generation and those who are older than me.
  15. Feb 21, 2018

Fair enough. I've watched football since 2001. It's been Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard from English perspective.
  16. Feb 21, 2018

Jonno Full Member

I always enjoy listening to his views on co-commentary, he's a very intelligent guy who only speaks sense.
  17. Feb 21, 2018

vadimivich Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    He is though ... most people do talk about him as being one of the very best English footballers ever.
  18. Feb 21, 2018

Aboutreika18 Full Member

His stint as England manager did include one of the most tactically astute performances by an England side.

A tight 0-0 draw away in the final WC qualifier at a strong Italy side that needed a win to go above England and qualify automatically for the '98 World Cup.

They kept the ball really well, slowed down play expertly when under pressure and could've nicked a win had Ian Wright not hit the post, albeit straight after Italy went down the other end and Vieri was inches away from giving Italy a win.
  19. Feb 21, 2018

Cassady Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    He wouldn't have got in any Liverpool side in that era though. Iam not saying that he wasn't a good player as he was .
  20. Feb 21, 2018

:lol: Of course he would have. He was Probably one of the only players in the First Division who would have back then.
  21. Feb 21, 2018

cyberman Full Member

He's in the Chris Waddle school of having all the tools but that something was missing that stopped him taking that next step.
    Kind of like a taller Mata. You expect him to be better than what he is.
  22. Feb 21, 2018

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    He would not have. He was lazy , had an earring and generally looked like a cockney bellend . No chance.
  23. Feb 21, 2018

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    On a more serious note. His best season was 1979/80 in terms of goals scored . Who would he of displaced in that Liverpool team ? We twatted them 7 - 0 that season.
  24. Feb 21, 2018

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

Hoddle had the most natural talent of his generation, the problem, however, is he had very little application relative to a player with monstrous will to win and competitive streak like a Robson or a Brady. Hoddle's the kind of player that's easy to associate with Spurs - easy on the eye; capable of the sublime; doesn't turn up when it matters; hasn't the extra something to be at the biggest clubs. He was the epitome of that as he turned up when he felt like it, not as a game or situation demanded. He had all the skill and the tools to be a legend of his era, but he's instead reduced to a foot-note despite being by far and away the best passer in the league during his time and being one of the best passers in the world as well as arguably the best passer to ever wear the England shirt.

If you want to talk about range of passes, he's a Pirlo. Anything he saw that was on, he could execute and he had the innate ability to micro-manage space that bought him time to play the passes he wanted to. Hoddle is different to most English players in that he could play himself out of trouble with a couple of twists and turns and because he was completely ambidextrous, could use either leg as a lead, ergo, he could break out of a press on either side of his body, which made him very hard to contain, when he could be arsed. His shooting, crossing, heading and overall game were very good. In fact, it's fair to say only the likes of Scholes, Gascoigne, Charlton, Le Tissier and select few others could be in a conversation with him when it comes to the peak technical level of an English footballer. When he talks about technique as a pundit he is extremely modest and self-effacing because he had talent far greater than the majority he commentates on but you'd never know it from the way he talks.

A big problem for Hoddle in his own era of English football, though, was that his type of player, his style of play and his overall indifference/nonchalance wasn't the best fit for English football. When he had a good game, he'd get the subsequent praise, but with a bad one, he wasn't appreciated at all. The issue was that his range of skill and ability meant he had little excuse to be so off his game when he found himself on the periphery of matches. He'd have been better regarded if he'd played the majority of his career, inclusive of his prime, in Italy where players with his skilset were invaluable and acknowledged as well as being the key component in unlocking mean, negative defenses.

As an overall technician, I'd have him as England's #1 of all-time, but unlike a Charlton, a Scholes, or even a Gascoigne, Hoddle has no apex point and no truly historic period of his career that let the world know this guy was a force to be reckoned with. He's like Laudrup in a way, in that whatever we did get to see of him as a player, there was a lot more we didn't because the player didn't fancy it. Although someone like Gascoigne's apex was short-lived, we got to see him at his very, very best for fleeting moments, same goes for Charlton and Scholes. Hoddle doesn't have that and it hurts his legacy a lot.
    He's the one manager who, I've felt, could have turned England around, or, at the least got the very, very best out of them as a tournament side, ironic really given that's the opposite of the man himself.

He's been forever tainted by that Maureen stuff and the handicapped punishment etc. his words aren't taken on board as they should be since then. He's got only himself to blame for that, however.
  25. Feb 21, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Technically brilliant, but one lazy git, always felt for Bryan Robson when they were paired together.
  26. Feb 21, 2018

Gavinb33 New Member

My dad was a fan of him the player said him and Robson in midfield would have been incredible, which means he must have been good as he didn't give out praise to often
  27. Feb 21, 2018

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Me neither, he didn't really do much for England. The way people talk about him now, you'd think he was the 2nd coming.

Obviously a good player, but well over hyped today.

A bit of a looney as England manager, too.
  28. Feb 21, 2018

Regulus Arcturus Black Banned

Top player, crap singer, good manager, meh pundit.... and batshit crazy to boot.

Preferred Waddle myself who's a massively underrated English player, what he did at l'OM was sensational.
  29. Feb 21, 2018

Lawman Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

This post made my breakfast cheers @Fortitude and agree on almost all that. Made my breakfast a little bit brighter ;)
  30. Feb 21, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

He's a painfully bad commentator. He seems to feel it's his duty to state the bleedin' obvious. Does he really need to tell us Barca are being patient in their build up? Or did he feel he didn't get that message across the first 5 times he said it.
  31. Feb 21, 2018

The Bloody-Nine Full Member

Yep. 'Say what you see'. Thanks, Glenn, but we're watching, too.
  32. Feb 21, 2018

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Like him as a pundit/commentator
  33. Feb 21, 2018

Skubah New Member

Great post. Everything said here is basically what I've been told from those who have seen him. It's a real shame when players with an elite level of technical prowess and ability are hampered by other factors like desire, application etc. That reminds me of Berbatov in a way because the case is very similar when their footballing ability is a complete contrast to other parts to their game. It makes you wonder if they had all the other attributes what kind of career would they have had?

Most of the people I know that had watched him still hold him in high regard. I just never hear about him when I talk about the great players of yesterday with people in their 20s like me.
  34. Feb 21, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

Absolutely. He comes out with the occasional perceptive comment, but most of the time he not only states the blindingly obvious but repeats it ad nauseam.

He had some very good spells as a manager though, and was a fantastic player. Some of the criticism in this thread is bonkers. I think it’s fair to say that he played his best football away from England, and was appreciated more on the continent than here. Cruyff rated him, which is high praise indeed.
  35. Feb 21, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Dont care for him as a pundit, he's ok as a commentator though, uses his knowledge of playing midfield into what he says quite insightfully
  36. Feb 21, 2018

Denis' cuff Full Member

Imagining him not gelling with Paisley or maybe he was clued enough to realise which side his bread was buttered. Then again, you could say the same about Souness. A bit of a flash Harry until Paisley moulded him.

Like a lot of London players, gets grossly over rated. Very easy on the eye as a player, media loved him (apart from him being England manager) and certainly capable and did brilliant things. A bit like Pogba, so far. Hope Poggers becomes a real player, though. As a manager, had potential but was largely a silly twat. Remember him putting Becks down several times in France 98, then left him out to dry after the Simeone incident and eventually lost the plot. Bit of a job really. Natural talent. History littered with them but overall, nothing special.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  37. Feb 21, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Wonderful player - one of the best of his generation certainly in England. He was a good manager too, ahead of his time in many respects - would still do a good job for England imo but the media would destroy him again.
  38. Feb 21, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    The something stopping him from taking the next step was the backwards footballing culture at the time that couldn't see a use for his talents. It was nothing to do with him as a player.
  39. Feb 21, 2018

Denis' cuff Full Member

Flattered to deceive. See Alan Hudson, Tony Currie etc. fancy Dans.

Every England manager gets destroyed - even Bobby Robson, the best since Ramsey.
  40. Feb 21, 2018

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    That's what I mean I reckon. He was not in the Liverpool mould. Paisley often bought players to fit into his system and Hoddle would not have fitted in I don't think. He was too much of a Southerner if that makes sense. Still after saying that he was a talent.