Greatest Passers of all time?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Lord SInister, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dec 7, 2017

Chesterlestreet Man of the crowd

Rivera, for one.

If you want a metronome passer who was also a great passer but more the former than the latter, Albertini (il metronomo) would be a good shout.

Xavi was a metronome too but I'd still class him somewhat differently. He controlled the whole show with his metronomic passing.
  2. Dec 7, 2017

ROFLUTION Full Member

Not the actual reason, but probably meant "why bother stopping your vacations when you can never achieve creativity and trophies with such an amateur of a manager". And the manager truly was - Denmark's coach "Ricardo" was truly an amateur and left the squad with very much to be wished for - All danish documentaries documents this also. The assistant manager was often the one to smoothen things out, and it was first when Ricardo threw out his stubborn defensive style that Denmark started to perform. This was holding a golden generation back. The Laudrup's were acting a bit diva, but you could also understand why they did. With such great players at your hand, why park the bus and substitute the biggest stars for stupid defensive contribution, which failed again and again. When Denmark finally was allowed to attack, we won Euro 92.

It's like a lot of myths are created around Laudrup at this point of time, all over-emphasizing his mentality - Especially on RedCafe.

Btw: I always thought Laudrup was a victim of his own success. He was such a pivotal part of the teams, that he was very often man-marked, which took out a sting of his game, even though he still turned up very often. This could also be a reason of why coaches and critics say "he only played 80-90%".
  3. Dec 7, 2017

Danny Roberts Full Member

Laudrup was class. Sorry if this has already been mentioned but the King of Spain certainly rated him.

https://talksport.com/football/brilliant-story-involving-michael-laudrup-and-king-spain-161226213019
  4. Dec 7, 2017

ROFLUTION Full Member

5. Dec 7, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

Very good list.

Would add Zico and Cruyff.
  6. Dec 7, 2017

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert

Every time this is done, probably the best ground passer in history (all time) is omitted. I'll always find that fascinating.

By the way, is this supposed to be a definitive compendium, or just a few of the best @Lord SInister ?
  7. Dec 7, 2017

Lord SInister Full Member

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
    just a few of the best. we will obviously never come to the conclusion:lol:.

As for best ground or deck passer, who do consider?
  8. Dec 7, 2017

There's a lot of names missed, but then, it's hard to know whether it's a celebration of the great few, or if it's supposed to be more than that.

Valderrama; there's only par with him for the deck, none better, and even par, I doubt. My opinion, of course.

If I was going to pick a single player as a choice, it'd be Platini because he could literally do anything pass related dead ball or otherwise.

Edit. Apologies @Lord SInister as you mentioned Valderrama in your OP, was skimming through the names in the thread itself after a quick perusal of your OP - should have read it properly :angel:
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. Dec 7, 2017

2cents Full Member

Where's that hour-long video of Laudrup splitting defences?
  10. Dec 7, 2017

As amends, here's a few more names that probably won't get a mention.

Great Long Passers: Ocwirk, Blanchflower, Van Heel, Stojkovic, Diesler, Kipiani, A.Muhren etc.

Great Final Ball Passers: Sotil, Gavrilov, Schiaffino, Cassano, V Mazzola, Sneijder, Baggio, Bochini

Great midfield metronome passers: Netto, De Sisti, Boban, Magath, Pirri, Challe, Effenberg, Wilkins (the crab himself), Redondo, A. Muhhren, Molby

Great Crossers of the ball: Brady, Sheedy, Ziege, Junior, Nobby Solano
  11. Dec 7, 2017

Nobby Solano? FFS. On a list of greatest of all time?
  12. Dec 7, 2017

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    From the portuguese league:

I mentioned Deco and Valdo before, who were two of the best midfielders of their generation. NOw I'm going to mentio a few more, and most of the did amazing careers outside Portugal aswell.

Great Long Passers:
    Paulo Silas: Corner-kicks, free-kicks, long range

Great Final Ball Passers:
    Krasimir Balakov: this guy was a magician
    Rabah Madjer: considered the best argelin player of all times, this guy was the real deal
    João Vieira Pinto: another player who was assist master.

Great Crossers of the ball:
    Paulo Futre: a legend for Atlético de Madrid, he was a skilled dribler and his crossing was amazingly accurate.
    Vitor Paneira: he is one of the players with more assists at portuguese league ever. Opponents had to stop him from execute byline crosses.
  13. Dec 7, 2017

CallyRed Full Member

What about Juan Seba Veron and his outside of the boot 35 yarder passes
  14. Dec 7, 2017

His crosses were magnificent.

Not to highlight you, whilst doing so :p, but this is kind of what I meant, whether this is just a celebration of the great few. If you're breaking down players for specific attributes then plenty of those who wouldn't be considered players of all time could challenge those that are.
  15. Dec 7, 2017

Edgar Allan Pillow Was AFC, likes them hypoallergenic - no feathers

Why does Beckham's passing always get underrated? It was as good as his crossing and both rank best in all time.
  16. Dec 7, 2017

Dirty Schwein Should Have Known Better

Sideways pass: Gareth Barry
  17. Dec 7, 2017

His short passing game was not as refined as some of the greats, although his long balls were mint, but United fans were accustomed to Scholes and his consummate long range passing.
  18. Dec 7, 2017

Joe Allen:drool:
  19. Dec 7, 2017

Edgar Allan Pillow Was AFC, likes them hypoallergenic - no feathers

Yeah, but the way his passing switched flanks and he was able to drop a pass right the ball of a rushing player on opposite flank was just astounding. Whenever we talk of long passers (not just crossers), his name should be up there. I doubt you have great short passers away from final third (final passers by your OP).
  20. Dec 7, 2017

I appreciate your point but even if we're talking solely crossing ability, I don't think he ranks merit as one of, say, the top 10 crossers EVER. But obviously such things are essentially impossible to determine.
  21. Dec 7, 2017

Pink Moon Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Messi is the best passer of all time.

Michael Laudrup was wonderful too.
  22. Dec 7, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
  23. Dec 7, 2017

2cents Full Member

That's the one, cheers!
  24. Dec 7, 2017

Treble Full Member

Platini is in the conversation of the top 10 players ever. Laudrup isn't. A bunch of nice quotes about Laudrup means feck all.

I haven't said that Laudrup lacked an exceptional talent. On the pitch he was just one of the bright stars of his generation but never the best in the world. There is a reason why Laudrup moved to Madrid. Cruyff liked him but couldn't guarantee him a place in the starting 11 because he could use only 3 foreigners and he regarded Koeman, Stoichkov and Romario as more important than Laudrup. Season 93/94, after Cruyff signed Romario, he benched Stoichkov in order to make place for both Laudrup and Romario. Despite Romario tearing it up in La Liga, Barca struggled and were a distant second to Deportivo in January. Then Cruyff replaced Laudrup with Stoichkov in the first XI, Barca won 15 from the last 16 games and won the title on the final day. Laudrup had to leave because he couldn't bench Stoichkov or Romario and because Koeman was too important for their defensive organisation.

One can find many great quotes for many players. It was Fergie himself who compared Rooney to Pele in 2011. And it was Fergie himself who claimed that Phil fecking Jones can become the best United player ever or something in this spirit. Don't take so seriously such quotes.
  25. Dec 7, 2017

Billy Blaggs No mates but his cousins love him

Same here. When the world cup came around I was always Platini as a kid.
  26. Dec 7, 2017

Random Task Full Member Scouse Lover

That he was shifted out to the right flank for the majority of his United career meant we got to see very little of his sheer range of passing.

In any case, crossing is a form of passing and Becks was the best crosser of a ball I have seen. Guess that makes him the greatest passer as well.
  27. Dec 7, 2017

OutlawGER Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
    In terms of long passing i think Jerome Boateng deserves a mention.
  28. Dec 7, 2017

RedRonaldo Full Member

Final Ball - Messi or Maradona
    Long Ball - Pirlo or Platini
    Midfield - Xavi or Scholes
    Crosser - Beckham

Overall - probably De Bruyne or Riquelme (I have watched some matches from Riquelme in the past, his passing game was unreal at times when the team was build around him)
  29. Dec 7, 2017

Righteous Steps Full Member

Some underrated ones..

Okocha Talent wise incredible, could pass dribble shoot with both feet, a better temperament and career decisions and you've got one of the great schemers in football history.

Kaka- Excellent final third passer very few as precise and dangerous, his pass against Liverpool in CL still one of the great assists of any era.

Rui Costa Nearly as good as Zidane for me, less fancied just as mercurial.

Huddlestone- A bit of a joke lol but his incredible sometimes technically at least.
  30. Dec 7, 2017

ROFLUTION Full Member

Yeah just a bunch of quotes from.. the greatest of his contemporaries, Raul, Romario, Steuchkov, Guardiola, etc :eek: - Platini and others had nice national careers too which really influences all these lists - Even the top 100 of fourfourtwo (the first list in google) confuses Laudrup with Brian and claims a career highlight of his was winning Euro 92 :houllier: says a lot abou these lists. Many articles mentions him as influential as Zidane though and that is to me a better comparison.

Laudrup joins Barca. Wins the league 4 years in a row. 5-0 against Real Madrid in the last year

Next year he joins real. Real smashes Barca 5-0 and Real wins La Liga two years in a row.

Theres few stats of all laudrups assists, so its terribly easy to just pull out the goal-scoring measurement-stick while he was in fact mostly a playmaker.

By the way Koeman and family was neighbors to Cruyff and he states they had a really good bond outside of football, where Laudrup and Cruyff had big arguments and did not get along off the girls which is most likely the reasons he left. Koeman was slow, and not *that* great a defender but had one hell of a shot in him. What Should be the measurement is that it all went downhill when Laudrup left. Says a lot
  31. Dec 7, 2017

meninred New Member

I will list the greatest passers of the ball from the time i start watching football in the 80's. Whether you agree is a different matter.
    ( I only listed the greatest who done it consistently at the highest level)

Michel Platini
    Zico
    Valderama
    Xavi
    Kaka
    Zidane
  32. Dec 7, 2017

damageinc. New Member

Supports:
    the unknown
    From the past:

Gianni Rivera
    Luis Suarez Miramontes
    Fernando Redondo
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    Mario Coluna
    Obdulio Varela
    Clodoaldo
    Xavi Hernandez
    Paulo Roberto Falcao
    Robert Prosinecki
    Andrea Pirlo
    Paul Scholes
    Lothar Matthaus
    Luis Monti
    Duncan Edwards
    Josè Leandro Andrade
    Johan Cruyff
    Giancarlo Antognoni
    Nils Liedholm
    Frank Rijkaard

Classic "10" are not included.
  33. Dec 7, 2017

simonhch Horrible boss

Supports:
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    Eric Cantona deserves a mention in this list somewhere. Exquisite weighting on the ball. Had one of the best outside of the foot passes I've ever seen.
  34. Dec 7, 2017

Dante Turns into Billy Blaggs when drunk

Supports:
    United!
    Scholes

Everyone else is in his shadow.
  35. Dec 7, 2017

Spoony The People's President

Shit on a stick football. The cult of Van Gaal.
    Maradona.
  36. Dec 7, 2017

Saad K Undergoing Verification

Guti for Madrid was fantastic.
  37. Dec 7, 2017

oneniltothearsenal Full Member

Supports:
    Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
    for creative passing, Socrates for me.

38. Dec 7, 2017

Oaencha Full Member

Two pages in and no mention of Günter Netzer. Shame on you all.
  39. Dec 7, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

He was ridiculous. Absolute joy to watch. :drool:
  40. Dec 7, 2017

sk6blue Banned

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Can't disagree there, fantastic player