Greatest Passers of all time?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Lord SInister, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dec 7, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

Zico
  2. Dec 7, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
  3. Dec 7, 2017

Prodigal7 Full Member

Be honest, you have this saved in a word document don't you...?
  4. Dec 8, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

Amazing, the first pass of the second video is the sort of pass if someone gave you a description of, you'd probably tell him he's talking nonsense.
  5. Dec 8, 2017

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

Eh? The one that was hit slightly too far? I can think of a few passes in the past 5 years that are better.

Not doubting Zico’s passing ability, by the way. He was incredible.
  6. Dec 8, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

The one where he's facing the ref and is passing someone who's running behind his back, mind you with his weaker foot. Don't see how it's over-hit(,35 secs in)
  7. Dec 8, 2017

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

I thought the ball ran ahead of the runner but it seems it landed right at his feet. I take it back!
  8. Dec 8, 2017

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

Was Savicevic a good passer? He was amazing for Red Star against United..
  9. Dec 8, 2017

Charly Full Member

Long passing - How is Gerson not mentioned for long passing ! he is incredibly underrated and while he might not have been the most well rounded midfielder his long passing was absolutely fantastic. I don't think any one in Brazil at least had his range, he was better than Didi & Falcao and Zico was a different player. In general there are a few players who had around the same range as him when it comes to long passing - Pirlo, Platini, Maradona, Valderrama etc but I don't think anyone was decidedly better than him. Watch this video, if you haven't seen it yet, its beautiful stuff -

I would have Beckenbauer as runner up in the long passing, from the what I have seen of him (Mostly world cup and Champions league matches) his long passing was also phenomenal. With his role as playmaking libero he had a lot of opportunities to play many long passes every single game. He was just so elegant, combining defending with a vision that really belongs much higher up the pitch. He was like a Cruyff playing from defense.

For final third passing I don't think you can really top Maradona. At the same time I don't think he was head & shoulder above the likes of Cueto, Zico or Zidane. I don't know how I would rank them but they are all in the same tier for me.

Crossing has to be Beckham as I pretty much never seen a better crosser of the ball. I have read Matthews & Dzajic were brilliant at it too but not seen much of their work.

Oh and Liedholm apparently did not misplaced a single pass for 2 years in Milan and when he finally did miss it resulted in a 5 minute ovation from the crowd. Must have been hell of a passer.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  10. Dec 8, 2017

Isotope Full Member

Luka Modric is one of the greatest metronome of all time, imo.
  11. Dec 8, 2017

manutd7 New Member

Guti
  12. Dec 8, 2017

XH6 Banned

Xavi was definitely the best in the modern game for me. I think Scholes' overall passing tends to get overrated a bit due to how incredible his longer passing was: If anything, I would probably rank Carrick's overall passing game at his best (12/13) at least equal to Scholes due to his slightly better shorter passes (10-30 yards) into the forwards or wingers.
  13. Dec 8, 2017

Lawman Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Scholes playing one and two touch possession passing Carrick can’t get near him.
  14. Dec 8, 2017

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

You need to watch more football.
  15. Dec 8, 2017

klayton88 Full Member

Michael Laudrup. His weight of pass is unreal.

16. Dec 8, 2017

Gio 4 times Redcafe Draft Winner

Xavi, Platini, Laudrup and Maradona stand out for me. If you break the pitch down into thirds, the best from the defensive third would be Koeman, Xavi in the middle third, and any of the three above in the final third.
  17. Dec 8, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    @Charly I'm sure you'll be promoted 'full member' quickly :)
  18. Dec 8, 2017

Pat_Mustard Full Member

A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
    You mustn't have looked too hard as he was mentioned twice in the very first post in the thread ;)

19. Dec 8, 2017

T A New Member

Best ever and forever
  20. Dec 8, 2017

IFC 1905 Full Member

Final Pass: Bochini, the best passer in Argentina's history.

Long ball: Pirlo/Maradona

Midfield: Scholes/Xavi

Crosses: Beckham

The best player in Argentinian football history, and the most respected one for sure, since Maradona and Messi have their haters legion, Bochini is respected by everyone. Iniesta is the closest thing there's ever been to him in terms of style, but Bochini had that incredible hability to pass the ball. His surname became an adjetive in Argentina when it comes to a good pass someone makes now.

21. Dec 8, 2017

poleglass red Full Member

hard for me to say as a Utd fan, but I'd say the greatest passer of all time would have to be the great Jan Molby. Not only was he great passer but ahead of his time in regards to fitness and looking after his body.
  22. Dec 8, 2017

tomaldinho1 Full Member

I always wonder if Riquelme would have been in contention had he not run into LVG at Barca. One of my favourite players.
  23. Dec 8, 2017

RedDevilCanuck Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

I watched a video of Laudrup's passing and assists. It was incredible. I was in awe. The only player around now that ever comes close it Messi and maybe Pogba at a stretch.
  24. Dec 8, 2017

Arruda Love is in the air, everywhere I look around

Supports:
    Porto
    This gentleman wasn't too bad either:

The one at 2:23 :drool:
  25. Dec 8, 2017

Lord SInister Full Member

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

Riquelme is a top dog tbh. His skill repertoire was ridiculous. His ball skills, passing, crossing, free kicks and shooting was top drawer. He could do any kind of pass or shot.
  26. Dec 8, 2017

ShadesOfTomato Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    How has Xabi Alonso not been mentioned in this thread? Arguably the best passer of the last 15 years.
  27. Dec 8, 2017

meamth Full Member

Metronome is the new "attack the space". :nervous:
  28. Dec 8, 2017

Lord SInister Full Member

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
    errmmm.

29. Dec 8, 2017

Cassady Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    Dalglish should be in that final passes list. Any lads on here my age or older will say the same.
  30. Dec 8, 2017

Cassady Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    Here's one.

31. Dec 8, 2017

Oaencha Full Member

After the OP was what I was getting at but admittedly I should have made that clear.
  32. Dec 8, 2017

Hugh Jass Full Member

Pirlo.
  33. Dec 8, 2017

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    So when you watched him live, you didn't think he was that good?
  34. Dec 8, 2017

Bobski Full Member

Some great posts in this thread.

I just wanted to comment on the Utd players mentioned, specifically Beckham v Scholes. Scholes was by the far better of the 2 at short, continuity passing , finding the correct pass to open up the play. His long passing to the wings was also superior in terms of consistent accuracy. Where I think Scholes is slightly overrated(especially in comparison to the likes of Pirlo and Xavi) is in finding a killer pass higher up the field when the flighted long ball was not on. His technique was outstanding but he favoured the drilled ball over the side foot option, which for me can allow a little more disguise, and variations in spin. Beckham had both techniques on his long range passing , could curl a ball in from deep, or drill a long pass. Much less effective in finding clever little passes between defenders, that is where Giggs was so important for Utd, gave the ball away a lot compared to Scholes and Beckham but was tremendously creative and brave in the final third.
  35. Dec 8, 2017

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    I add a couple of names, although the "of all time" is a bit too much.
    Effenberg impressed me in the games that Madrid played against Bayern those years. I especially remember the champions final against Valencia.
    He was already quite old and could not run much but he didn´t need it for his long passes from side to side. He completely dominated that game.

And the other, who I think I've already named in some other thread is De la Peña. Especially in the years before Lazio he seemed touched by a wand
  36. Dec 8, 2017

2cents Full Member

I was thinking today about why Scholes, despite being able to land the ball on a penny from 60 yards, never took free-kicks. This kind of highlights the reason for me, he generally avoided using the inside of his foot when being precise.

Did Xavi take many free kicks for Barca? Obviously Pirlo was a maestro at them.
  37. Dec 8, 2017

Bobski Full Member

Xavi was never a prime option for them. Must have taken a few down the years but there was always someone who was a better option. Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi. He did take corners at one point unless my memory is going completely. Scholes struck the ball so purely, but at free kicks he was only ever a touch off and hit option, something that Utd surprisingly did not use that often down the years. Great set piece takers have to be unpredictable, get the ball dipping/moving in the air, surprising defenders and keepers. With Scholes the strike was so clean you knew exactly where is was going to drop within the first few yards in the air. Brilliant for accuracy and the runner's touch but not for disguise.
  38. Dec 8, 2017

gavdim2002 New Member

Ray Wilkens
  39. Dec 8, 2017

Luke1995 Full Member

I have a question for you man, when you say Suarez at the first post, you mean the uruguayan Luis Suarez or the Spanish one? If the uruguayan one has great passing, I never truly noticed it
  40. Dec 8, 2017

harms Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Not really, he's behind Xavi, Scholes and Pirlo and probably Iniesta too. Somewhere alongside Fabregas/Kroos and the lot