Guardiola has quit Barcelona!

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by KM, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Apr 27, 2012

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Best of luck to him. Regardless of what Pep does next he's already a great manager.

He could be like Sacchi, who found his perfect club at Milan and couldn't replicate the success with the same effectiveness elsewhere. But Sacchi is still considered a great for the nature with which his Milan played.

Pep will be the same. But I still think he will be a success somewhere else. He's at the top of my list of people to replace SAF. Hope he's interested in the job.
  2. Apr 27, 2012

devilish Full Member

A young ambitious manager, who had been a central figure in Barcelona's youth development and who believes in youth. Maybe SAF had finally found his successor at United?
  3. Apr 27, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

Much better fit for the United job than Maureen.
  4. Apr 27, 2012

JustAFan Red Yankee

Voting for Independence from the UK since 1776
    Seen several post talking about signing this player or that player from Barca, I guess it brings up the question are the players there loyal to Pep or loyal to the club. For the most part I would guess they are loyal to the club, but that is just my guess. I am not sure we will see a big exodus from Barca right away.
  5. Apr 27, 2012

Sid Lowe's take on the decision. Some interesting bits on the way the stress effected him especially the part in bold.

6. Apr 27, 2012

DevilRed Full Member

It may be unfair but it really reflects on him badly at least in my own humble opinion.

Time out with his family? Fookin please. How many people on this planet have far shittier jobs that take them away from their families for far longer periods? This man has worked for 4 fookin years and he is whining about pressure and stress? :lol: What an absolute joke. You don't need to be in football management to understand that. You just need to have had a job or worked in a demanding enviornment.

To me he seems like a mental midget. Someone who is soft and doesn't understand the concept of work ethic and determination. Imagine if you were 40 years of age with a family and kids and you decided not to work because your job was too stressful? That would be unheard of not to mention you would be a laughing stock. I understand he has the luxury of doing that since he is wealthier than the average Joe but it reeks of defeatism and a general lack of determination on his part.

They don't make them like they do anymore. Im talking about the SAF generation. People who aren't afraid of hard work and a little bit of adversity along the way. He really puts Pep to shame. I feel so blessed that we've had him for our manager for the last 25+ years.
  7. Apr 27, 2012

Burrow Still enjoys cocks

Good for him that he manages to walk out on such a job, and that he realises when he cant go on any longer. You have to wonder how Vilanova will do though, the amount of pressure he'll be under to have his team perform must be insane.
  8. Apr 27, 2012

JustAFan Red Yankee

There are people all over the world who leave jobs becasue of the pressure, stress, even average Joe's. Now Pep is fortunate in that he can take some time off. But I have known people who have left their jobs and gone back to college to learn something else. They were not failures, they did not lack determination, they just realized their journey in life would be best taken on a different road.

If you have had enough of a job and want a break from it, and you can do it, then absolutely 100% you should do so.
  9. Apr 27, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

He may have one of the best jobs in the world and he's a lot luckier than some people out there, however his job is a very stressful one, whatever you think, and he's constantly away from his family when you think about the European journeys that he has to make with his team all the time. Perhaps he really does want to just take a break and spend some time with them. When he has the money to do so, why should he not if he feels like it? Why should he continue to work under stress when he doesn't have to?

We are lucky to have someone like SAF here, but not everyone is like him. Fergie thrives under the stress and pressure of management and doesn't need to take a break. All people are different though. Not everyone will react to pressure and stress like he does.
  10. Apr 27, 2012

DevilRed Full Member

Yes well those people are in the same boat as Pep aren't they? Which leads me to refer to SAF and his notion that a person should always be working to have some purpose in life. They just don't make them like they do anymore. I completely buy into that notion and anybody who needs to quit his job to "take a break" is weak willed in my opinion. I'd understand changing jobs or changing enviornments but quitting to do nothing is just unacceptable without a proper reason. Especially at the age of 40. Its laughable.

Lets not forget that Pep has about 3-4 months off in the summer too. The average Joe gets what...20 days of Annual Leave? Please. Lets not make excuses for him. Im not saying he shouldn't take a break because if he feels like he will die or burnout or whatever then theres not much else you can do. All I'm saying is that in my humble opinion it reflects poorly on him and his work ethic and determination for his career.

Even if you compare apples to apples; you look at 99% of the other managers in football. Are you telling me Pep feels more pressure than someone like Roberto Martinez or Steve Kean for example? Managers who have to wake up everyday and face the axe if a result goes wrong for them? Managers who deal with unrealistic expectations and fans booing them despite everything they do to keep their clubs afloat? Managers who have to deal with losing MOST of the time and who have to work with much more difficult personalities?

I don't see them harking on about needing a break or burning out because of the stress. In fact, they aspire to fight on with their clubs and the lucky ones get to move on to bigger and better jobs. Anyways this is just my own opinion and take on things. I know it might sound a little harsh but I guess it just reflects my own take on people who work or have jobs. Please forgive me if I have strayed off topic a little bit.
  11. Apr 27, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    I get your point DevilRed, but it's a bit unfair to compare Guardiola to SAF. Ferguson is a one off in the modern game.
  12. Apr 27, 2012

noodlehair "It's like..."

He left at the exact point he needed to stay on and prove he can rebuild a succesful team and make it hungry again...bit of a shame really. He's got plenty of time on his side to do that elsewhere though.
  13. Apr 27, 2012

That'sHernandez Ominously close to getting banned

He doesn't half dress well does Pep. I reckon I can get a few tips.
  14. Apr 27, 2012

championo Top Stalker

Very nice speech. This is how you leave a job.
  15. Apr 27, 2012

There is a reason why after only 4 years he's managed the 3rd highest number of games for their club. That job is incredibly demanding.

Rijkaard was reduced to becoming a blubbering fool by the end of his term despite enjoying a lot of success in his early years.

Pep is a local boy. He knows what can happen to someone if they stay at Barca for too long. Think he's looked at it and thought it isn't worth it.
  16. Apr 27, 2012

JustAFan Red Yankee

Sounds logical
  17. Apr 27, 2012

adexkola American Arse

They know how to dress in Spain and Italy.
  18. Apr 27, 2012

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

Pretty much all countries know how to dress.
  19. Apr 27, 2012

Amir Full Member

I don't feel they need to rebuild at all. They obviously need to add and freshen things up a bit, but it's nowhere near rebuilding. They may have lost the league and the European Cup, but ask any team and I'm sure Barcelona is still the one they wouldn't want to meet. Bad finishing mostly cost them against Chelsea.

Guardiola will resurface at some stage, maybe in a year's time, somewhere. That will be the real test, taking a team that is different to Barcelona, that doesn't have the players to play Barcelona-style football and show he can make it play that way or be successful by playing differently.
  20. Apr 27, 2012

jojojo Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at Barca in 2013
  21. Apr 27, 2012

ravelston Full Member

This has to be the most pathetically childish drivel I've seen on this forum - and that's saying a lot. You clearly have no concept of the national identity of Catalonia and the role that Barcelona plays in it. Not to mention "3 to 4 months off in the summer" - what stone do you live under? I could go on and on but I'll spare you - a courtesy you didn't give the rest of us.
  22. Apr 27, 2012

Waltraute She-Devil

I think you're a bit guilty of the good old 'hyperbole to counter hyperbole', but in general I agree.

It would be nice if people could just understand that stepping down from a position of power isn't always due to 'bottling it', or being a 'mental midget' (what a horrible expression!).

Not all people are cut out for the relentless pressure of a job like Guardiola's, those who are not, and have the courage to admit it and step down, should not be insulted by people who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. His record as a manager is absolutely impeccable, and having the courage to step down in time only adds to my admiration of him, as a man and as a manager.
  23. Apr 27, 2012

adexkola American Arse

As far as managers go, English managers are horrible dressers. Italian managers are always most presentable.

Don't ask me how I notice this :o
  24. Apr 27, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I would agree with you there. Guardiola stepping down doesn't necessarily make him weak minded, it may just mean that he's not the sort of person who's up for this sort of job year after year. I think that to judge someone on whether they're weak minded or not, you have to know them properly. Nobody here can say that about Pep.
  25. Apr 28, 2012

Instant Karma Closet Gooner

Can Gaz be our Pep ?
  26. Apr 28, 2012

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

This!!

Four years of instant success and when he finally enter his first bad period he walk away. Not exactly what you expect from the "best manager in the world".
  27. Apr 28, 2012

No. Don't think him wanking openly and orgasming as players score a goal will go down too well in the dressing room.
  28. Apr 28, 2012

AlwaysRedwood Banned

I'd hate to see us playing that style of football.
  29. Apr 28, 2012

Denis' cuff Full Member

what makes you say that Jo?
  30. Apr 28, 2012

Kaush949 Full Member

I don't understand when people say this. First of all, we can fuse two styles of football by combining their possession play with our counter attacking precision.

Secondly, some of our best goals this season - The one in the community shield against City and Nani's goal against Everton last week were very Barca-ish. People were raving about those goals but as the sane time downplay Barca's style when they do it on a regular basis.
  31. Apr 28, 2012

marcus agrippa Full Member

CL Final 2011...yeah, I'd hate to see us destroy another top team playing that style too.
  32. Apr 28, 2012

AlwaysRedwood Banned

Inter 2010 vs. Barca.

Don't want Mourhino either.

Both styles of football bore my tits off.
  33. Apr 28, 2012

AlwaysRedwood Banned

It's boring to watch for an entire game. There is no style of football I like less. I'm not alone. There are quite a few of us.
  34. Apr 28, 2012

bsc Full Member

Different strokes for different folks, for a while it did bore me to be honest.

Then I pinched myself and reminded myself that I want to look back in 20 years and remember what I saw at its greatness: the fleet-footedness; the ball manipulation; the ballet-like movement in tandem, all robotically programmed to anticipate the next step. It really was absolutely breathtaking at times.

The problem arrived, as you alluded to, in its sheer predictability. The plan b option wasn't deemed good enough, they ran out of ideas even with a staggering amount of possesion, injuries and fatigue occured and the cycle appears to be coming an end(not that they won't rebuild and clear up next year).

Lots of things I hate about the club, but I will genuinely look back on this team with many fond memories - years down the line I want to talk to my grandchildren about them.

They're a better team than Sacchi's Milan, the best ever club side, but I'll remember them with less fondness.
  35. Apr 28, 2012

devilish Full Member

Id rather see us play that type of football rather then the 'revert to long ball football when under intense pressure to then run after the opponents like headless chickens" tactic we used against Barca/Bilbao.
  36. Apr 28, 2012

AlwaysRedwood Banned

I didn't know we were just getting two false options.
  37. Apr 28, 2012

devilish Full Member

Once our usual high tempo, stressing mainly on the magic coming from the wings tactic failed then that's exactly what we did.

Rest assured that Im not criticizing the club. Its only normal that teams panic when they are being outclassed. Normally if plan A fail then the manager will try to introduce new players on the pitch to freshen things up but if that fails too, then what follows is panic. I can name you various occurrences when that happened.

You may not have followed football long enough as I did but you'll soon notice that football evolves. If that wasn't the case then England would still play long ball football and Italy would still insist on the catenaccio. Barcelona changed football, as France did before them, as we did during the treble and as AC Milan did during the late 80s/early 90s. Lessons will be learnt out of it and tactics will be adapted until the Barca way will be countered. We may never play like Barca however rest assured that we'll change our way of playing
  38. Apr 28, 2012

AlwaysRedwood Banned

Those are individual games. I am speaking about watching that style of play week in and week out. I'd be watching a lot less United.

Obviously. That doesn't mean I want Pep managing United. I don't.
  39. Apr 28, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I don't really get this whole idea that Barca's style is so very unique. They just do what most teams try to do, only better. Football is a very simple game, after all.
  40. Apr 28, 2012

Walrus Oppressed White Male

Their style is unique, but it isn't as godly and all-powerful as the caf would make out. There is no one right way to play football. I prefer the high paced, direct, attacking style that we have been famous for in the past, and that Real Madrid currently employ. Barcelonas style is good, and very effective (although not when Pep seems to have taken it to the extreme) but it isn't really that exciting.
    When they tika tak the ball through the opposition team in the area with an intricate passing move and a tidy finish, it is fantastic to watch, but for the other 80 minutes of the game it is just back and forth outside the penalty box. We saw against Chelsea and Madrid that when that doesn't work, they are simply boring.