Harry Maguire

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by davidmichael, May 20, 2019.

1. Jun 11, 2019

john moran New Member

A similar standard :rolleyes:
    The level of delusion among English supporters is mind blowing and would be laughable if it did not seem that Ole and the Glaziers seem to be under the same illusions.
    Perfectly understandable for the Glaziers who know absolutely nothing about football , but frightening if our manager is at that level
  2. Jun 11, 2019

Mcking Full Member

I'm not advocating for Manolas though. It was obvious in the post.
  3. Jun 11, 2019

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate Scout

No, I answered to a post talking about the idea that transfer fee moralisers in this thread, need to suck up to the fact that we need to pay these fees. That post was about people in this thread and their opinion about fees.
  4. Jun 11, 2019

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

But then you’re saying there’s loads as good as Maguire and offering one player who’s clearly inferior?
  5. Jun 11, 2019

Wires crossed then because you replied to a post that was stating we’ll likely need to overspend on our top targets because we’re coming from a position of desperation.
    Made it a little confusing to understand you meant something more wide-ranging.
  6. Jun 11, 2019

Shaidabdullah Hussain New Member

Indeed

Imagine if we get him and lindelof playing together, and perhaps a new goalkeeper who favours playing it out from defence , will be a much different prospect at building it up from the back (though still mistake prone.)
  7. Jun 11, 2019

ForestRGoinUp Full Member

So the plan is defensive fullbacks on both flanks and the slowest CB pair in the league. At least we know Ole is committed to a deep line, counter attacking system...just like Mou.
  8. Jun 11, 2019

Or Tuanzebe & Maguire :drool:

Also AWB is nothing like the solely defensive fullback he is made out to be on here.
  9. Jun 11, 2019

Skills Snitch

Its probably for his own good if he did stick with it. There's no evidence he can even knows how to coach one.
  10. Jun 11, 2019

Allas8 New Member

Except for the fact that had Ole been coaching the defence the hole season we would have conceded 44 goals, instead of 54.
  11. Jun 11, 2019

fergiesarmy1 Full Member

William hill are boosting the odds on him coming to united, so it’s not happening
  12. Jun 11, 2019

Stevondo8 New Member

Good. He might be a good passer and can bring the ball out, but can he actually defend? Personally, defensively, I don't rate him.
  13. Jun 11, 2019

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    On this basis no football fan can criticise any transfer because every club has its own history of awful transfers. Your club's entire list of transfers since Ferguson left is a pitiful read, but if a United fan was to comment on Maguire's price I wouldn't respond with 'lol u signed Fred/di Maria/Lukaku/Schneiderlin etc for x amount though'. £80m for Maguire is a ludicrous amount, irrespective of other transfers.

Bit strange for you to bring Otamendi up as well, last season he performed a better season than any United defender has for some years.

City signing Stones for £50m when the market wasn't crazy? Explain Mourinho's Chelsea bidding £40m for him the previous summer then. Explain Mustafi and David Luiz both moving for £35m the same summer we signed Stones. Stones was also three years younger than Maguire, which is going to change his valuation. What's ironic is that as a City fan I'm supposedly being told I can't comment on a players valuation...by United fans. I must have missed that part where I started posting on the forum of a club notorious for its frugality.

I am aware that some of the sums of money City have spent on players has been crazy. I'm also aware, which people seem to be missing here, that City are one of the clubs being linked with Maguire for that price. And if we end up signing him for that price, I will also call it ridiculous.
  14. Jun 11, 2019

Mcking Full Member

@Regulus Arcturus Black, I mentioned Manolas as a reference to the amount that is being quoted for a player of such level, not because I'm desperate for us to sign him. I don't rate Maguire as high as those that I feel are overrating him, and neither do I rate Manolas as twice inferior to Maguire or as the solution to our problems.
    There's a reason why clubs have scouts, and that includes to avoid having to consistently break world records for players. Madrid just signed Militao for 50m, Bayern spent about 30m for Pavard. Alderweireld apparently has a £25m release clause, Espanyol has a young CB named Mario Hermoso, Leverkusen has Jonathan Tah, then there's the likes of Joachim Andersen and Milenkovic who are no Van Dijk, but are decent defenders in their own rights and could be better value for money, and those are only defenders within my scope. Obviously the club could prefer a CB that is older and has spent some years in the EPL, but bottom line is that I don't rate Maguire as worth breaking the world record for. I don't see a defender of his quality having an impact that would be worth such price. He is physically dominant, but slow off the mark, has a lot of clumsy moments and poor spatial awareness.
  15. Jun 11, 2019

GazTheLegend Full Member

Man City are odds on to sign Maguire now, and we were at 3-1, so this is surprisingly to me at least looking more like City are seriously in for him.
  16. Jun 11, 2019

GazTheLegend Full Member

Just read this and posted similar. City 4/7 on to sign Maguire so William Hill presumably know something we don’t.
  17. Jun 11, 2019

Varun Moderator Staff

The only way they're at the same standard is if you have just 2 standards. Dross. Not dross.
  18. Jun 11, 2019

Jimmy Skitz Full Member

Supports:
    Leicester City
    bookmakers follow the money on markets like this in the main, the summer we appointed Ranieri there was a new bookies favourite every day, this was from a legal scam where people were placing huge bets then cashing out to make money
  19. Jun 11, 2019

Kapardin New Member

Smalling is underrated, but nothing special either. Lindelof is good, but not VvD levels of good.

The question is, is Maguire better than these two to justify the outlay if we do go for him? At this point, we need a VvD level CB, not another average-to-good defender.
  20. Jun 11, 2019

Patrick08 Full Member

If we spend on mcguire why waste one season complete and end up in Europa league. The press just keeps linking it no matter what.
  21. Jun 11, 2019

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

They are just the same standard and absolutely not £53m between them.

I don't know if people watch Koulibaly or just assume he doesn't have his limitations too - generally very good just like Maguire.
  22. Jun 11, 2019

Jimmy Skitz Full Member

Supports:
    Leicester City
    because Koulibaly is a darling of Italian football followers and plays for Napoli where as Maguire is at Leicester, football snobbery
  23. Jun 11, 2019

ForestRGoinUp Full Member

We’re overspending to build a British core and we don’t care who knows.
  24. Jun 11, 2019

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I'm Welsh.

I don't think people like you have watched either in close detail so pointless discussing it.
  25. Jun 11, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

We're idiotic if we spend big on him. An alright player who looked good for a short while and could end up living off it for his whole career. I could fully see it happening with us.
  26. Jun 11, 2019

Aloysius's Back 3 New Member

Exactly. I want the lad as a possible improvement on Lindelof because I'm not sure of him but buying him to be our main CB would be disappointing.
  27. Jun 11, 2019

Patrick08 Full Member

I don't see it. Just paper talk like 400 other players linked.
  28. Jun 11, 2019

Hopefully! And surely Ed would want someone more marketable for that money
  29. Jun 11, 2019

George The Best Full Member

Think we are unlikely to find a ‘VVD level CB’ that is attainable at a sensible price, or any price for that matter. We do need an upgrade at CB though.
  30. Jun 11, 2019

Genuine question as I’m not sure of the answer:

If he ends up at City will he make their first choice starting eleven?
  31. Jun 11, 2019

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Koulibaly is comfortably better than Maguire. Koulibaly has to be in any conversation about the world's best centre backs. There's no chance Maguire is part of that conversation, certainly not yet anyway.
  32. Jun 11, 2019

Nou_Camp99 Full Member

Going big on Maguire this summer but refused to do it last summer because he was deemed expensive or not much better than we had. Great....some more ammo for the media and rival fans to hit us with.

I don't see it happening for this reason. Going to make Woodward look even more incompetent. Didn't get him for Jose and look what happened to us. Would be a bit of admittance of a mistake.
  33. Jun 11, 2019

OohAahMartial Full Member

34. Jun 11, 2019

Maybe he'd step up in their setup. Maybe he would in ours but it seems less likely. Seems more likely he'll be his average self, which is very average indeed. I think for us he'd be another Lindelof. Decent but not amazing. I'd like to see someone a level above next to him.
  35. Jun 11, 2019

So would I but that’s looking increasingly unlikely I feel. I’m intrigued as to why Pep is in for him at the price - hence the question.
  36. Jun 11, 2019

Not sure. Is he though? Or is it all paper talk, or possibly his agent spreading shite to make him seem more appealing
  37. Jun 11, 2019

Who knows? City haven’t denied it though as far as I can tell.
  38. Jun 11, 2019

NJM78 Full Member

Why don’t we offer Jones plus 40m cash to Leicester. Worth a try.
  39. Jun 11, 2019

Chairman Steve Full Member

They’d probably make a gurn similar to one Jones makes most games :wenger:

I don’t know how to feel about Maguire. I remember him playing against us when he was at Hull and him visibly standing out as a cut above the rest and thinking he was way too good for Hulls level. I guess you’ll never know until you actually do it. He could end up being the best high profile defender we’ve signed since Rio or he could be found out at the highest level like Schneiderlin.
  40. Jun 11, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Sam Lee says he’s their number 1 centre back target and he’s the most reliable for City.