Harry Redknapp blasts Gary Neville in Spurs rant

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by GE, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Nov 1, 2018

GE Negative Moaning Mentalist

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Nov 1, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Y'know what, fair play to him. Listening to Neville's comments while in discussion with Carragher, it was hard to disagree with much either of them said, but for Harry to come out & defend his team/players (and obviously himself) several years after the fact... Fair play.
  3. Nov 1, 2018

FujiVice Full Member

That Valencia thing will always be a stick to beat Neville with.

That Redknapp side was really good, actually.
  4. Nov 1, 2018

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

We all laughed at the "Lads, it's Spurs" meme but I think there should be at least a modicum of respect for fellow pros in Neville's position.

"Flaky, spineless, soft, pathetic." is just ridiculous hyperbole. Nothing wrong with Redknapp's response.
  5. Nov 1, 2018

Prometheus Requested ban until Sep 22, 2019

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Neville was on a star-studded team managed by the greatest manager in the history of the game. His entire perspective on how good or mentally strong other teams were seems to be solely based on how good they did against or in comparison to the said team. His judgement is clouded.
  6. Nov 1, 2018

Needham Full Member

Think Neville was just warming up. If he'd been allowed to go on it would have been "flaky...pathetic....yid cnuts...kiddie firm". Lucky Carragher interrupted and kept things civil.
  7. Nov 1, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Redknapps team was very open with Modric and Parker/Huddlestone/Sandro in the middle with two very wide players such as Lennon and Bale. Also we were quite unbalanced with a lacking squad depth and also some players who weren't quite on the level as others. I think it's fair to say that under Poch Spurs have started to be able to win 1-0, and once we take the lead I feel safer than I did under Redknapp. But also, the team Redknapp managed were not flaky or spineless in my opinion, and there were plenty of moments when we got good results in crunch times.
  8. Nov 1, 2018

flappyjay Full Member

I remember when you guys beat city away to qualify for the ucl. I celebrated like I was a spurs fan.
  9. Nov 1, 2018

Karel Podolsky New Member

Supports:
    Ex Laziale
    I liked Harry Redknapp Tottenham more than any other Tottenham sides.
  10. Nov 1, 2018

11101 Full Member

It is, but he's not wrong. We always knew what we'd get from Tottenham. A bit of a game but in the end, 3 points.
  11. Nov 1, 2018

Wilt New Member

On a night when one of Spurs greatest ever players is in hospital fighting for his life and Neville comes out with stupid comments like that.

Embarrassing.
  12. Nov 1, 2018

FootyGirl88

Neville is a funny character we've haven't been much better in recent years - why hasn't he called us out.
  13. Nov 1, 2018

Kostur Full Member

What's Hoddle's legacy as a player got to do with Neville calling them out? What a shitty card to play.
  14. Nov 1, 2018

Wilt New Member

Nothing 'shitty' about that. Can you imagine the meltdown on here if someone was slating SAF's team while he was in intensive care?

Redknapp was right to defend his team.
  15. Nov 1, 2018

Heardy Full Member

Weird stick to best Neville with. Hoddle’s poor health has got nothing to do with it!
  16. Nov 1, 2018

Kostov Full Member

Arry has every right to defend himself and his team, they were a pretty good side, but Gary was right. Fecking bottlers they were even in their best of days.
  17. Nov 1, 2018

Wilt New Member

I was at the game and given virtually the whole of the h/t interval was dedicated to Hoddle, Neville's comments were ill timed at best.
  18. Nov 1, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

Good point.

Also, the bolded bit :drool:
    This.
    This.
  19. Nov 1, 2018

Nou_Camp99 Full Member

I don't see anything wrong with Neville's comments on Spurs. He didn't say they were boring to watch because they weren't which wierdly was part of Harry's defence.

He said they were weak and flakey which the whole country knows they were and still are. They've won just 1 league cup in 25 years. Never is bang on. They have a soft underbelly as a club.
  20. Nov 1, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Yeah I was incredibly happy. As someone who watch a lot of football, and always watched the big CL games I was very exited to the prospect of watching my team in the CL for the first time.
  21. Nov 1, 2018

Crashoutcassius Full Member

Its not hoddles team he hasn't played in a few years.

I'm 100% sure someone slated United while saf was sick.
  22. Nov 1, 2018

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

This is something a fan such as you and I would come out with, not a respected football pundit whose words will be heard all over the world. Neville crossed the line and is rightly being called on it. His own managerial stint was an absolute disaster as well.

Neville's comments and Hoddle's poor health are entirely unrelated and should not be brought into this discussion. I'm fairly certain that if asked to comment on Hoddle's health, he would show nothing but sympathy.
  23. Nov 1, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

And he'll deserve it, to some extent. They were crap before he got there but even worse while he was there.

That said, it doesnt take away from what Neville is saying about when he was a player. He is only saying what the United players would have been saying and thinking when they went into those matches. And if Neville is still saying it after playing them so many times what does that tell you? That they never proved him wrong.

Redknap is talking about individual players, but Neville is talking about entire teams over an entire era. The general feeling about them in all that time. There are obviously specific players who did have guts and a spine - although mentioning Gallas who fell apart as Arsenal captain gave up and sulked sitting on the floor when the game was going badly, doesnt really lend strength to Redknap's argument
  24. Nov 1, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

How is his judgement clouded when the whole discussion was about Carragher saying Spurs should be challenging for the title and criticizing them because they aren't.

If anything Gary's judgement is bang on. They were basically a nothing team before and now they're doing really well despite not being able to financially compete with the top few. And they shouldn't throw the financial standing of the club out the win in the hopes of chasing a dream.
  25. Nov 1, 2018

Sanchez7 New Member

Have to agree with Redknapp, Neville was out of order and disrespectful. I thought his rant on TV when Jose's sacking rumours came out was over the top too.
  26. Nov 1, 2018

djembatheking Full Member

He was spot on , for years Spurs was generally a fairly safe bet for 3 points and have been seen as bottlers . Lads , its Spurs and all that . Not so much recently and I am pretty sure if asked that Gaz would say United are a bit flaky now . You don't feel safe when United are 2 goals up with 30 mins to go anymore as you know if we concede a goal our players panic and we become flaky .
  27. Nov 1, 2018

hasanejaz88 Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    That's why they reached the UCL, because they were a safe bet for 3 points :rolleyes:

It's weird to think that Carragher is the more sane of the two pundits, Neville seems dillusional at times.
  28. Nov 1, 2018

iHicksy Full Member

The only thing embarrassing here is your post. Honestly, this is so stupid I can't even be bothered to list the reasons why.
  29. Nov 1, 2018

Smores Full Member

They finished 4th twice under Harry, hardly a nothing team. Essentially they were a top 4 team and they're still just a top 4 team.
  30. Nov 1, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Spot on.
  31. Nov 1, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

I think Pochettino has done a great job but Neville made it sound as if the club's entire existence revolves around him. He's a bit too big a fan of Pochettino.
  32. Nov 1, 2018

b82REZ Full Member

:lol:

How is this in anyway embarrassing? Are people not allowed an opinion if someone's ill?
  33. Nov 1, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

:lol: can only assume this is a parody at this point
  34. Nov 1, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Wasn't Redknapp the manager when Spurs were 0-2 up at OT only to loose 5-2? I'd say Neville description is pretty accurate
  35. Nov 1, 2018

Chipper Full Member

Can't say I've ever seen Spurs in that way. To me they've had some good players, some good some teams down the years but not as many talented players as the very top teams. It's about skill level rather than any notion of them being bottlers. I've never once looked at Tottenham and thought they should win the league or other trophies if only they had stronger personalities.

Not being quite as good as the very best means they're going to be more inconsistent. Not being quite as good as the very best but often better than the rest means that your frailties are often going be exposed against the very best. That's particularly true if you're a team who pretty much always likes to play attacking football and doesn't really adapt their tactics based on opponent which is something that often was Spurs. United were particularly prone to exposing them because it was often 4-4-2 vs. 4-4-2 with both teams intent on taking the game to the opposition, only one team had much better players.

They might well have been better off trying to stifle us or other top sides, changing up what they were doing at times but that's about tactics rather than attitude. They'd try to fight fire with fire and fail.
  36. Nov 1, 2018

Bill.s.preston Fluffybunnykins - needs to bulk up (with cake!)

I don't think Neville was specifically aiming his comments at players, Spurs have often had some exceptional players over the years, but more often than not they've been weak as a team when it really counts.
    Neville is just recounting his memories of always beating spurs, and spurs not winning a major trophy for a very long time.
    Even Redknapp's defence of his players cited a game when they were 4-0 down and lost 4-3, is that supposed to prove anything other than they were plucky losers?

Even under the great pochetino, they were in a two horse race for the title, sacrificed the europa league (presumably to concentrate on the league) and came third. Alan Brazil was sticking up for Spurs by alluding to the fact that united have been poor for the last few years. Unfortunately for him, that falls a bit flat when you look at the trophies we've won when we've been shit as Spurs have been praised for winning nothing.

Neville was right, but his language was a bit over the top.
  37. Nov 1, 2018

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think Redknapp absolutely has a fair point, he achieved a lot here and the team he built deserves respect. That CL run outstrips anything Pochettino has managed in Europe.
  38. Nov 1, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Good points but the Hoddle bit is nonsense.
  39. Nov 1, 2018

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Under Redknapp we managed top four twice and reached a CL quarter final .. how is that a safe bet for 3 points? The likes of Bale and Modric could hurt anybody.

This whole 'soft underbelly, lads its Spurs' stuff is bollocks. People have just applied stupid stereotypes to a club .. we've had a string of different managers, entirely different squads, what do you think about Spurs it is that would somehow make us flaky?

We're just a club who has primarily focused on top four in recent years over trophies, and in the past and now simply haven't had the resources to challenge for the top honours. Clubs like City and Chelsea were hardly serial winners until they received the resources they needed to start winning. If we got taken over by oil money tomorrow, I guarantee within five years we'd start seriously competing regardless of this nonsense 'DNA' stuff people keep applying to football clubs.
  40. Nov 1, 2018

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

I agree with everything Neville has said. Spurs have finished in the top 4 six times in the last 30 years. And have won 4 trophies in 30 years. Two being the League Cup and one being the Community Shield.

Bottled the title finishing 3rd in a two horse race. They are not and have never been very good.