Has Martial done enough to start in EL final?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by manunited1919, May 18, 2017.

?

Should Martial start in the Europa League final?

1. Yes

72 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. No

138 vote(s)
    65.7%
  1. May 18, 2017

manunited1919 Full Member

He did really well against Spurs creating our only goal. He also hit the post against Southampton on a great individual effort.

It's also difficult to judge his overall play when Rooney is in the team breaking up so many of out attacks.

But has Martial done enough over the last 2-3 games to warrant Jose including him in the final. Most likely, Jose needs to pick only 2 out of Lingard, Micky, Mata and Martial.
  2. May 18, 2017

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

I don't know if anyone in our attack has done enough to deserve place except Rashford but we only have so many options. I hope Mou picks whoever would play the best in the system he chooses for the final
  3. May 18, 2017

shaggy Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans

Would much rather see Martial than Lingard but we all know who Mourinho will pick. I guess Lingard has previous in cup finals as his only saving grace.
  4. May 18, 2017

arthurka Full Member

I feel sorry for him.. These games offer him nothing..
  5. May 18, 2017

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Probably not from himself, but his competition hasn't pulled up any trees either. Rashford would be my only banker.
  6. May 18, 2017

MyOnlySolskjaer Half Member

No but neither have our other options.
  7. May 18, 2017

Castia Full Member

Nope. Along with Mata since his return and Mhk lately they've been useless.
  8. May 18, 2017

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

If Martial hasn't done enough then Lingard certainly hasn't.
  9. May 18, 2017

el3mel Full Member

He won't start.

Lingard, Rashford and Mikhi are going to be our attacking line, I'm pretty sure of this.
  10. May 18, 2017

Sammyjunn Full Member

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    I think he has. Martial, Rashford, Mkhi, Fellaini, Pogba, Herrera,Darmian, Blind, Smalling/Jones, Valencia, Romero.
  11. May 18, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

Agreed 100%.
    All of our currently fit attackers are pretty useless in front of goal.
    I think our target has to be to go for 0-0 (then pens) or 1-0. I can't see how we can score more than 1 goal in a 90 minute game.

1 year on, Ibra injured and we have completely reverted to LVG-esque football of trying for a 1-0 score line.
  12. May 18, 2017

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times

He's been better than Mkhitaryan lately, but Mkhitaryan is probably the more trusted of the two, and better operating from deep (when playing well). Martial is fighting with Lingard for a starting place, but though Lingard isn't as talented, he's generally good value for big occasions and seems to do what Jose asks. I don't think he'll start, but we'll probably see him off the bench.
  13. May 18, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

Not really. The games on the whole have had a dead feel to them and with the Marouanzebe midfield combo tonight and the back six a few games ago our attack has struggled severely. I think our squad is just in the mood of "lets get through these games without injuries" and all have both eyes on the final. Even his competition in Mkhi, Mata and Rooney haven't been pulling up any trees.

I'm certain the final lineup will be:

Romero
    Valencia Jones/Smalling Blind Darmian
    Herrera
    Fellaini Pogba
    Mkhitaryan Rashford Lingard
    And I'm optimistic on how we'll do. I won't judge us on these past few games as the teams have been a mishmash, and the players who provide the much needed creativity in midfield have been rested/on bereavement leave.
  14. May 18, 2017

Reafer Full Member

Included? We didn't have much choice otherwise.

Mkhitaryan and Lingard are better options to start and deal with Ajax defensively, also attacking wise Mkhi's Europe form is good.
    Subs: De Gea, Martial, Mata, Smalling, Carrick, Rooney, Tuanzebe.

Having Martial on the bench would offer the option to utilize his good attacking threats from the left.

Jose can play his cards right, depending on the situations of the game.
  15. May 18, 2017

manunited1919 Full Member

I would like to see

Micky / Rashford / Mata

I don't see enough consistency from Martial, he just makes the wrong decision too many times, and his final passes to Rashford don't seem to be there. However, he can be the most explosive player at times. Mourinho being Mourinho will play his cards conservatively, and will use the explosive option only from the bench.
  16. May 18, 2017

Womp Full Member

Martial is probably one of the most frustrating players in the squad, can absolutely skin a fullback but can equally do feck all and play the game at walking pace. For someone so fast, he's pretty fecking slow for large portions of the game. The fact that he's so gifted and so capable is what makes it all the more frustrating.

I'd personally go with Lingard as he seems to thrive in finals and offers a lot of energy. Martial off the bench when Ajax begins to get heavy legs.
  17. May 18, 2017

Tosicsleftpeg Full Member

He will be on the bench I think. Rashford will be our striker with Miki and Lingard out wide. I'm not massively happy with Lingard but he's a big game player as we have seen time and again.
  18. May 18, 2017

MannyB Grammar Police

Starting? No fecking way.

Ajax will be all over him like a rash especially as he seems to bring the game to a crawl on the left when he gets on the ball. He doesn't think quick enough and he doesn't move the ball on quick enough either.

Question marks over his defensive work too and Darmian will likely have his hands full with Traore.

For me it's between Mata and Lingard. I'd go with Lingard just because of the energy Ajax will bring. Obviously Mikhi and Rashford being the other two.
  19. May 18, 2017

CM10 Full Member

He hasn't done badly in the circumstances but I'd be surprised if he started. Mourinho seems to favour the attackers who do the ugly things and Martial isn't really one of them.
  20. May 18, 2017

joedirt87 Full Member

I expect Lingard to start and run himself into the ground after 60 or so minutes, Martial to come on depending on the score.
  21. May 18, 2017

septic Full Member

He probably hasn't done enough but he shouldn't have to, he should be in the starting 11 ahead of Lingard. Lingard offers incredibly little going forward.
  22. May 18, 2017

whatwha Full Member

His speed can be great but he hardly ever truly uses it.
  23. May 18, 2017

ghagua Full Member

Don't know if he has done "enough" or not, but he should be included from the start and we should be on the front foot against Ajax. They are not very good away from home and we should be looking to attack them, but I have a feeling I know which lineup Mourinho will play, and the tactics he's going to employ.
  24. May 18, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/17/jose-...eds-defeats-to-arsenal-and-tottenham-6644139/

Mourinho said after the Tottenham game: ‘Yeah, he was good, he was good,’

‘Against Celta he didn’t play because the options were different but he’s fine, he’s fine and he’s one of the guys that it’s very important for him to play 90 minutes.'

Martial is played when an attacking threat is needed; Lingard is played when the tactics require neutralizing. Martial has a long way to go before he can be given the responsibility of both neutralizing and providing an attacking threat, but he has it in him to reach that level. I think only Mkhitaryan has fulfilled the required role as a Mourinho wide player; Lingard offers feck all in attack, Mata is too small and slow (although he has improved defensively this season) and Martial is still developing.

It is a tough decision because Ajax can score 2-3 goals in quick succession but we also need to score 2-3 goals to guarantee a win. I guess that's why he's the manager and im not.
  25. May 18, 2017

TehRed Full Member

I'd rather see Martial play over Lingard. Martial has pace, is willing to dribble at defenders and make them commit, and he does have a goal in him. Lingard has good movement and works hard, but has no end product. For me, i'd pick Martial, but Jose is probably going to go for Lingard.
  26. May 18, 2017

Giggs86 Full Member

All his near misses of late must lead to a goal sooner than later, right? Got a feeling he will score in the final.
  27. May 18, 2017

DizeeGorilla20 Full Member

No, he hasn't and the bold seems to suggest he has played with Rooney the whole season which has NOT been the case at all. Not even close. In fact Rooney created two brilliant chances for him against Spurs and another against Southampton so such it's such a bizzare point.

Edit:Just realised you reffered to the last 2-3 games. Regardless, the point still stands, Rooney created 3 really good chances for him in the last 2 games and he failed to take any of them.

If Jose needs to pick 2 out of those players, I would take Mikhi and Mata. At least you more or less know what you get. Martial would be a wildcard pick. He might play well but most likely won't.
  28. May 18, 2017

beergod Full Member

He hasn't shown anything recently that would elevate his status for the final, but neither has anyone else.
  29. May 18, 2017

Rake Full Member

Our wingers have been so poor lately that they have all done enough not to start in the final... Just hope Pogba, Herrera and Rashford have a storming game.
  30. May 18, 2017

jungledrums Full Member

He's showing vague signs of perhaps recapturing some form. To say that Ajax will be all over him like a rash is utterly fecking ridiculous though. Even in a stinker of a game, he's gonna offer more going forward than Lingard ever will, plus his defensive work is underrated.
  31. May 18, 2017

Macern Searches images of footballers ballsacks

Hasn't he been our best player in the last couple of games?

He should be involved definitely, not sure if he deserves a start.
  32. May 18, 2017

Organic Potatoes Full Member

Supports:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't know anything about lumberjacks or bankers, but I'd find it difficult to find four forwards of ours better than Martial.
  33. May 18, 2017

mav_9me Full Member

I am a huge fan of Martial but I don't think he has done enough. He did good against the spurs but today was pretty awful. I don't mind him trying to dribble unsuccessfully. That happens. But today too often simple passes were completely off and he was just going through the motions.
  34. May 18, 2017

Lentwood Full Member

The three matches we have played in the PL recently mean nothing. Nil. Zero. Nada.

You can't take anything away from them - they were just games that we had an obligation to play and we did so. That is all

Therefore if Martial hasn't earned a place over the over 60 games I am afraid, much as I hate seeing Lingard in the side, that he won't be starting
  35. May 18, 2017

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    He won't start but he'll be a good option to have coming off the bench. These last few games have felt a bit like an audition. It's a pity for him that the whole team has been flat as a pancake but he only has himself to blame for being so careless on the ball so often in these games. That's cooked his goose IMO.
  36. May 18, 2017

Jonno Full Member

From Preston, UK - Living in Sydney, Australia
    In terms of performances, he's been poor.

In terms of doing what the manager asks of him, he's done very well. Tracks back, sticks to his LW position, he's shown maturity in recent weeks.

So for that I think he's going to be on the bench and be our plan B. A good plan b to have - the way Lingard and Mhiki have been playing this last month, give it 60 mins before one of them is hauled off for Martial.
  37. May 18, 2017

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    I hope so. Facing Ajax would suit him.
  38. May 18, 2017

MrSingh2002 Full Member

He had done well against Arsenal and Tottenham to his credit but was below par last night other than that one shot against the post which was a good effort. I think Mourinho goes with Lingard and Mkhitaryan on the wings as starters for the final. Mata and Martial as subs who can impact the game. With it possibly going extra time etc this may not be a bad shout but I know I'd rather go with Martial and Mata starting with Lingard and Mkhitaryan the impact subs if needed.
  39. May 18, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

He's done better than Lingard, so yes.
  40. May 18, 2017

AndyJ1985 Full Member

Tbh other than Rashford, all our attacking players are much of a muchness. By that I mean the lot of them have been consistently rubbish. May as well draw names out of a hat in regards to who is going to play. For me our success relies on Pogba creating enough chances that eventually someone will manage to put one of them in the back of the net.