Has Torres Scored For Chelsea?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Moultz, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Dec 14, 2011

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Kaka playes where Rooney does. Same applies to Sneijder and VdV.
  2. Dec 14, 2011

SATA Full Member

I would certainly hope Fergie take him if he is ever made available even he's a ex-dipper. Class is permanent, hell knows why he isn't cutting it at Chelsea. Abit like Forlan to me where he probably needs another team to shine. If he goes back to play for the dippers, i'm certain he will be back to his normal self again
  3. Dec 14, 2011

Aint gota Kalou Full Member

He's shown flashes of his previous brilliance but just when you think he could be back he then puts in a shitty performance. I was of the belief that he would return to the player he once was after leaving Liverpool but he just hasn't done it. I think he'll get better but nowhere near the level he was previously at in his prime.
  4. Dec 14, 2011

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

I'm very sure he stays at Chelsea.

Anelka goes to Shanghai in January, Drogba & Kalou are off to the ACON and Lukaku isn't ready for Chelsea atm.

So if Torres goes in January...........they'll have only Sturridge as striker.
  5. Dec 14, 2011

towcester_red Full Member

Chelsea will be busy in the market in January. One big club that dont mind extortionate fees being involved.
  6. Dec 14, 2011

Robbie Boy Full Member

I actually forgot about Drogba and Kalou going to the ACON.

Maybe he will get an extended stay until the summer.
  7. Dec 14, 2011

MUFCgal Full Member

Chelsea have dismissed today's reports of selling Torres in January.

I can't see it happening in January, but if things keep going the way they are, he could be gone in the summer.
  8. Dec 14, 2011

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

They don't have much luck with strikers, do they? I thought Crespo underachieved there, Mutu was a disaster and so was Shevchenko, Kezman was just awful too. Drogba has done well and Anelka wasn't so bad but that's about it.
  9. Dec 14, 2011

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

No, he doesn't. Rooney isn't your typical striker but he's no offensive midfielder either.
  10. Dec 14, 2011

Interval Level

I think it has something to do with the system they play. Drogba has always been first choice since he has been their best striker for quite sometime. With Drogba capable of being a beast of a one man strike force and Lampard chipping in with 20+ goals in a position coming in late, they seem to have crowded out whenever an extra striker was added.

Anelka's best season when he was the top scorer came when he was playing sole striker for a large majority of the season.
  11. Apr 25, 2012

Scrumpet There are no words

Shit thread to bump I know but in my state I couldn't find a more recent one.

After being soo shit for soo long and thrn suddenly producing probably the best moment of his career, am I the only one who was a little bit pleased for him? Obviously I want chelsea to get destroyed in the final but i couldn't help smiling watching Torres at the end :nervous:
  12. Apr 25, 2012

Moultz Full Member

funny that I made this thread haha. I felt the same. Dont think there could of been a bigger stage but the biggest in his career? Hmmm im not so sure.

That Euro 2008 final goal cemented Spain at the top tier and was taken oh so well.

Club career yes but again its not like it was a final bless him.
  13. Apr 25, 2012

untitled_6899 Full Member

[​IMG]
  14. Apr 25, 2012

Trionz Banned

I felt good for Torres.
    But really what's the fuss about the goal? Some say it was really worth 50m.
    If i remember it was scored with just 2 mins to go, with Chelsea already on verge of going through.
    Barcelona looked quite demoralised even before that goal and didn't look nearly probable that they can score.
  15. Apr 25, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    It gets like that with sportsman sometimes. It gets to the point where it stops being funny. Ricky Ponting just went through it in cricket and Tiger Woods is on the same path in Golf.

I don't quite feel the same way that you do, but I can understand.
  16. Apr 25, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I find it funny the way that goal is getting so much hype in the media. The way the commentator was talking about it being "worth every penny of the 50 million". Complete nonsense. It had no influence on the result. He could have taken it into the corner and wasted time, to more or less the same effect.
  17. Apr 25, 2012

Raoul Administrator

I think Torres scoring the clinching goal at the Nou Camp will do wonders for his self confidence. He will be a factor in the finals.
  18. Apr 25, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    Not only that, any striker worth his salt could have buried that chance. I thought valdes had shockingly poor positioning for the one on one, and was on the ground before Torres had even rounded him.
  19. Apr 25, 2012

Doubt it. He won't start, that's for sure.

Worth remembering he was shit up until he scored and it was as straightforward a chance as any striker could ever wish for.
  20. Apr 25, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

To be fair, Torres is quite good at going past the keeper in a one-on-one situation. It's what to do after that he usually struggles with.
  21. Apr 25, 2012

kps88 Full Member

All the hype is madness. One of the easiest goals he'll ever score. He would have to be really frail mentally if this gives him some sort of massive confidence boost. He had the entire half of the pitch to himself. Wasn't even crucial in the context of the game.

Would have been hilarious if he missed the open goal again and Barcelona went up and scored.
  22. Apr 25, 2012

Maciek Arrogant prick who is best ignored

I can't understand this as well. Maybe it's because it was Torres - the unlucky man who never scores. Media love it.

It sounds like he gave Chelsea the final, but he only confirmed it. It would have been confirmed two minutes later if he hadn't scored.
  23. Apr 25, 2012

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    It's strange but I feel the same and I bet a lot of people do too. I think it's because he's such a pretty girl. That it was Barcelona getting knocked out helped a bit aswell.
  24. Apr 25, 2012

Trionz Banned

If you look closely, Torres was in that position because of a failed dribble & losing possession.
  25. Apr 25, 2012

Yup. And a lack of effort to get back and defend. Something Drogba had been doing tirelessly. He could have ended up costing Chelsea a goal, instead of scoring one. Fine margins.
  26. Apr 25, 2012

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    It also looked offside by quite a bit but I'm not sure because the camera views were shit.
  27. Apr 25, 2012

He was in his own half when the pass was played.
  28. Apr 25, 2012

Raoul Administrator

He's a streaky player though. Its all psychological for him. He definitely won't start, but will probably see some minutes at some point. And the idea of scoring against Real Madrid in the CL final will motivate him. He will be up for it.
  29. Apr 25, 2012

Stanley Road I.C.F. Member

In his own half for fecks sake
  30. Apr 25, 2012

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah he started from his own half didn't he? Nevermind.
  31. Apr 25, 2012

Jimy_Hills_Chin Desperately wants to be ITK

Barcelona looked a lot more dangerous after Torres came on, as you said he was neglectful of his defensive duties. Makes a great story though doesn't it.
  32. Apr 25, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

Huh, I guess I didn't know that you can't be offside in your own half. Doesn't come up much.
  33. Apr 25, 2012

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah I had forgotten about it too until Stan mentioned it. It's been a while since I've seen all the opposition players in the other one's half.
  34. Apr 25, 2012

I'm always right Banned

He was such a liability that me and the lads I was watching with were hoping Chelsea had more subs so they could get him off the bloody pitch. He then fecked up again, lost the ball and bizarrely carried on running towards the Barca goal instead of trying to win the ball back, as luck has it a smashed clearance landed right at him and he had one of the easiest goals of his career.
  35. Apr 25, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Not for Chelsea though. After his first goal for Chelsea he didn't score in the next 9. Then after scoring a double against Genk he didn't score in the next 24. Scored another double against Leicester and didn't score again for the next three, and before this goal he hadn't scored in his last 5 following his goal against Villa. He's only scored back-to-back goals once for Chelsea. And he only scored 1 goal in 9 against Madrid, compared to 7 in 10 against Barca. He's had so many false dawns.

I think it's harsh to criticise his defending, I think he was brought on to offer more of a threat on the counter than Drogba had done. He was crap at that too though, up until the goal.
  36. Apr 25, 2012

Really? Don't you support Real Madrid? ;)
  37. Apr 25, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

I thought he was brought on because Drogba looked like he was on his way to a second booking, i mean right after an incident where he almost deliberately handballed he was subbed off.
  38. Apr 25, 2012

Brophs The one and only

This is definitely the time when his goal gets him back to the player he was. Definitely. No more false dawns. This is a real dawn.
  39. Apr 25, 2012

Yeah, that was my first thought too.

By the way, how lucky was he not to get sent off? That looked to be as blatant and cynical a hand-ball as you'll see. No great surprise the cheerleaders on Sky Sports didn't show a replay.
  40. Apr 25, 2012

Trionz Banned

Must have been a clever prediction from Chelsea Manager.
    Else i don't see any manager, reducing his defensive efficiency in last 5 mins, when there is no need of a goal.