Having Phelan on the bench again

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Varun, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Dec 24, 2018

17 Van der Gouw biffa bin

After Moyes sacked him, he had a brief stint as manager of Hull.

He's been unemployed since then.
  2. Dec 24, 2018

17 Van der Gouw biffa bin

I don't normally re-post my own shite, but I think I posted this in the wrong Phelan thread

[​IMG]
  3. Dec 26, 2018

Hughie77 New Member

Moyes should have kept him, and Rene, he's a calming influence on players, who stood in technical area most if Cardiff game? Phelan did, watching everything seeing what was different to training be same today at home to Huddersfield . It's a good 4 we got , not 1 making decisions 4 heads and all good.
  4. Dec 26, 2018

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    Bringing Phelan back makes Moyes error in his decision to get rid of him even more naive.
  5. Dec 26, 2018

Fracture90 Full Member

Love how him and Ole are taking turns shouting instructions to the players :D
  6. Dec 26, 2018

meninred New Member

I hope you are not gonna say Mclaren next.
  7. Dec 26, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

Why?

Why do people think Phelan would have made any massive difference to Moyes? Moyes barely listened to his own staff and was indecisive. You could have put Pep as his assistant and we still would have had a disastrous season.

Having Phelan by Moyes side would not have prevented that season. Moyes was always the wrong man for the job.
  8. Dec 26, 2018

jymufc20 Full Member

I can't be bothered to research this but i am sure he worked at Norwich for a while and he is now on some sort of loan to us from a technical director role from some Australian club.
  9. Dec 26, 2018

AngliaRed Full Member

“ woke up this morning Phelan fine!! “
  10. Dec 26, 2018

wolvored Full Member

Agreed. If he had have kept them for at least a season and learned the ropes, I believe we would have finished top 4, and maybe things would have been different for Utd and him.
  11. Dec 26, 2018

RonW Full Member

Yeah, Phelan is our own. But it just reminded me of the good old days with SAF, Rene and Mike sitting on the dugout at OT :drool:. I can't believe how time flies, since its been 6 years since we last saw Phelan who is our own :cool:
  12. Dec 26, 2018

Eric's Seagull Full Member

Agree fully with this. Why dismantle something that is doing well? I can understand he wanted his own guys but he should have had enough intelligence to realise he should have kept as many 'United' guys on board.

Even Sir Alex about Moyes said "I think he should have kept Mike Phelan, he was a United man; loyal, hard-working and a good judge of the players.
    "My advice to David was that he should maybe keep Mike Phelan."
  13. Dec 26, 2018

wolvored Full Member

Central Coasters I read last week or something like that. He did say he was only staying till the end of the season here, whatever happens. If we do make top 4 and they offered him and Ole the job, surely he would stay.
  14. Dec 26, 2018

jymufc20 Full Member

Ohh definitely, he loves us too much.
  15. Dec 26, 2018

RedPed Full Member

Don't know what he's been doing at Central Coast Mariners. They've been pretty shit....even with Usain Bolt tearing down the wing!
  16. Dec 26, 2018

He is sporting director with Central Coast Mariners.
  17. Dec 26, 2018

Great :lol::lol:
  18. Dec 26, 2018

izec Full Member

Our new DoF then after this season
  19. Dec 26, 2018

Stranger things have happened in football mate but I read somewhere he has an agreement to go back to them. But due to his affiliation with the club it could happen.

Phelan said this about the situation "Part of the discussion with Manchester United was that I will still be available for the Mariners, this is a dual role,” Phelan said. “I will take the first opportunity possible to get back to the Central Coast. I’m not going anywhere, I am one phone call away from anyone at the Mariners. “I will be back on the Central Coast as soon as I can."

Here is an article I found quite interesting on Mike Phelan being appointed by the Mariner's https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/mariners-appoint-mike-phelan-sporting-director
  20. Dec 26, 2018

Tiber Full Member

:lol::lol:
  21. Dec 26, 2018

Jules_T New Member

He's not doing a great job at the Mariners this year. They have imploded and only have 2 points after 9 games.

They made some fairly average decisions during the close season while recruiting players.

I watched them 2 weeks ago play my local club, Wellington Phoenix and they were very ordinary.

Not sure what Mike's doing
  22. Dec 26, 2018

Tiber Full Member

Same. Infact I would have been open to him returning as caretaker manager.

One of the most recurring complaints on this site is that Moyes had the nerve to bring in a support staff that he trusted and had worked with for years (plus Giggs and Neville) instead of relying Phelan, Steele and Rene.

However, none of them have done anything of note since we let them go and I often wonder what it is the Cafe sees (especially with Phelan) that the rest of the football world simply doesn't.

Phelan was a coach at Norwich and caretaker manager at Hull for about 3 months taking some sort of sporting director job in Australia. Steele took a job at Derby after United sacked him and now coaches goalkeepers for some of England's youth teams. Rene (probably the best coach of the 3 and someone I have long respected) went to Russia as a coach, managed Fulham for a very short period then headed to work for footballing superpowers in India and Oz.

Some on here will call me crazy - but please hear me out. Is it possible that the success of the United teams of that era was actually due to fact that the club had greatest manager of all time? A manager that heavily overhauled his coaching staff numerous times during his time at the club - and did so without ever missing a beat.
  23. Dec 26, 2018

wolvored Full Member

Thats the team! Think he was DOF TD or something. Dont think he was a manager there.
  24. Dec 26, 2018

Red Katie The least positive person in match threads ever

Phelan has to be the most chilled assistant ever.
  25. Dec 26, 2018

Sporting Director mate
  26. Dec 26, 2018

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
  27. Dec 26, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

I actually think that it was good that Moyes sacked them. If he had kept them, the damage could have been bigger, cause they might have masked his errors, and he could have survived for 2-3 years.
  28. Dec 26, 2018

wolvored Full Member

Ta
  29. Dec 27, 2018

automaticflare Full Member

Garbage. Not wearing shorts
  30. Dec 27, 2018

LInkash Full Member

We already have a Mike in Smalling so he needs to be differentiated somehow.
  31. Dec 27, 2018

Any time mate:)
  32. Dec 27, 2018

Green_Red Full Member

whoooa sometimes, I get a good Phelan, yea
    I get a Phelan like I neva neva neva nava had before, I get a good Phelan, yea
  33. Dec 27, 2018

Bobcat Full Member

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
    And grow his mustache back. Mustached Phelan in shorts will have us winning the treble
    [​IMG]
  34. Dec 27, 2018

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

In my opinion, one of our biggest mistakes was for the board not to insist that Phelan is kept at the club. The guy could easily be our version of Tassotti or Beppe Baresi ie an experienced coach who knows the club inside out and who doesn't seem to have any dreams/illusions of ever becoming our next manager thus providing no threat to any new manager whatsoever. Instead we opted for Giggs an inexperienced and ambitious coach with huge connections with the media and whose family history doesn't exactly portray him as loyal to anyone.
  35. Dec 27, 2018

Cloud7 Full Member

I didn’t think that seeing him back would make me as happy as it did, but it really has. There was a moment yesterday, I think it was after Dalot missed the chance off of Rashford’s cross, they cut to the bench and Phelan had this wry smile on his face, that moment for whatever reason just took me back to the Sir Alex era. It really is good having him back. That is probably just as, or even more of a master stroke then getting in Ole as caretaker.
  36. Dec 27, 2018

I don't understand some of the guys here. Phelan has been loyal to the club for years. He went up the ranks, he's got SAF's praise and we've been shit ever since he left. Once he's back we've been playing good football again and that despite being managed by someone who was clearly out of depth at Cardiff.

I am not saying that Phelan = SAF's success because that would be silly. What I am saying is that he deserves his share of respect by now. All SAF's no 2 had their share of brain farts from Brian 'Hartson is better then Yorke' Kidd right to the great Rene 'Eikrem is the new Modric' Meulensteen who took over our very successful youth academy from Harrison's capable hands and produced, the likes of, erm, John OShea but not Phelan. Yet, he's the one whose ridiculed not them.
  37. Dec 27, 2018

Rene is good in what he does but he strikes me as a man with a huge ego. His argument with SAF regarding Eikrem and his unsuccessful stint as a manager are clear examples of someone constantly trying to mess into things that he doesn't really understand about. That's fine under someone like SAF whose got the CV to put any person back in his box. However, Ole doesn't have that CV. The last thing Ole needs is to have SAF's version of Brian Kidd at his side. I don't see Phelan meeting with the CEO behind the manager's back to try and override the manager's decisions. I can't say the same with Rene though.
  38. Dec 27, 2018

vidic blood & sand Full Member

Phelan seems to be far more active during the games than I remember him with SAF. Ole, Phelan, and Mckenna really seem to be enjoying themselves. Carrick doesn't seem to contribute much during the games though.
  39. Dec 27, 2018

MacabbiUnited New Member

Supports:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
    I think in a club like man united it's important to have someone who knows the identity of the club. A lot of managers today have huge eggo's and want their teams to play in their way, and don't umderstand that the club is bigger then them. Thats why the club should hire perople with a philosophy similar to the club's.

Obviously Phelan is one of those people, which is why Fergie brought him back in the day, and Ole is like a dream in the manner of speaking about how to team should look and play. It's not realistic to expect us to score 3-5 goals every game, but if we keep looking good, theres no reason why we cant atleast get a cup out of this season. And hopefully smash Liverpool 4-0 at OT and Spurs to pip them to the title
  40. Dec 27, 2018

Fully Fledged Full Member

It's December and he's 5 years older.