1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

High Pressing Teams and Refereeing

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Rossa, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Jan 31, 2018

Rossa Full Member

Mourinho alluded to refs being gentle with City when it comes to yellow cards. Watching Tottenham play today, they get away with so many free kicks that are often even yellow cards. It is as if refs are, like pundits, applauding that aggressive style and cutting teams that press aggressively and high up the pitch.

Why do teams that play this aggressive style get away with constantly fouling and hacking at the feet of the opposition?
  2. Jan 31, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    Because the majority of the time they aren't yellow and just like Jose you are clutching at straws.
  3. Jan 31, 2018

Rossa Full Member

Tottenham has made numerous of these little kicks an hacks at United players' feet, and that completely disrupts the flow of play. I remember Bayern doing the same where they kept hacking at Rooney's ankle all through the game, and the ref did nothing.

Edit: of course, the majority are not yellow - but there should so many more free kicks. Silva should have seen a red for a two footed tackle knee height - did he even get anything?
  4. Jan 31, 2018

cyberman Full Member

It's so hard to break through their press when they're allowed so many tactical fouls that's disguised because of the pressing. If a side like Spurs didn't press and there was more space between the players then the fouls would be more obvious instead of thinking "He wasn't going anywhere because he was surrounded" mentality.
    Not saying it's wrong but it's a problem to play against.
  5. Jan 31, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    And when they foul a free is given.

He got a yellow, should have been red. WB should of had a couple as well.
  6. Jan 31, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

Yeah, keep trying to excuse piss poor play with the ref. If your tactics are shit, reasons grow up on trees.
  7. Jan 31, 2018

Rossa Full Member

WB?
  8. Jan 31, 2018

Richard Cranium Banned

It really breaks down the flow of our game, particularly when already playing a high-pressing team away from home. It comes down to the ref's game management. A few early yellow cards to the culprits and it dies off as they don't want a red. Unfortunately, when it's against us nobody really cares apparently including the refs.
  9. Jan 31, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    West Brom. I think it was Philips who literally jumping sliding tackled Diaz in the hip.
  10. Jan 31, 2018

cyberman Full Member

Were shit and the sky is falling in.
    Good talk.
  11. Jan 31, 2018

Rossa Full Member

Exactly, they are tactical fouls that they either get away with clean or only a free kick, never a yellow even though they do it all game. Son, I believe, tripped Valencia on the counter when Valencia was running into space - nothing given, and then Martial had nobody to play to.
  12. Jan 31, 2018

Gbenger New Member

Maybe we too should learn how to press at times and take advantage of it? ;)
  13. Jan 31, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

They were shit. It's still a point though. Why is the same foul 20 yards apart treated differently?
  14. Jan 31, 2018

Rossa Full Member

Well, West Brom just don’t have the quality:devil:
  15. Jan 31, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

Yup, don't want to hear how hard it's to break teams who press and are allowed so many tactical fouls, boo feckin who.If you aint good enough, it's probably the ref...c'mon people.
  16. Jan 31, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

Because flow of play matters whether we like it or not. Home advantage does too. Am I saying that refs are perfect, no. Am i saying that they are not making a ton of mistakes and fail to be balanced, no.
    All i'm saying is that, while it provides comfort, we shouldn't focus on the dead horse. We should focus on us.
  17. Jan 31, 2018

cyberman Full Member

There's nothing wrong with pointing this out though. It's also telling that this tactic fails them when they're away to the big sides.
    Is it the ref clamping down on it as if the crowd wakes him up from accepting this as the norm? It's a strange one.
    There's definitely a conversation to be had here.
  18. Jan 31, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

Please can we stop with the blaming referees for losing. The ref wasn't to blame for the loss, such desperate remarks.
  19. Jan 31, 2018

rique_don Banned

We don't have a damn coherent strategy for attack. It breaks up that which isn't in exitence? Stop making excuses for a garbage attacking system that doesn't know how to keep possession under pressure or how to play football at a high tempo through movement and quick passing.
  20. Jan 31, 2018

Rossa Full Member

It's annoying. The Norwegian commentators went on about how reckless and aggressive Valencia was, but that was only because he was the only United player who played like the Tottenham players. Look at how many United players were fouled after the ball was played; that ruins the attack as that player is tactically out of the game and incapable of finding a new position. I think it happened at least five times with Sanchez alone, and then that ridiculous one with Valencia. It disrupts the flow of the attacking team and even takes out players.
  21. Jan 31, 2018

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

I agree with @cyberman ... This isn't a "blame the ref thing" at all... But there is definitely a conversation to be had around how a "high press" allows you to get away with more fouls
  22. Jan 31, 2018

Irrational. Full Member

I have noticed this too. So often a high pressing team will cynically stop the counter and the refs just let it go. Should be a booking every time.

Firmino does it for Liverpool, Silva does it for City, Dickhedbele does it for Spurs. The majority of times its a FK, nothing more.
  23. Jan 31, 2018

Rossa Full Member

No, we are not blaming the refs at all. I'm wondering why and how this is allowed, because teams that sit lower, where the movements are slower, are penalised for this all the time. Is it because the refs are incapable of paying attention to the quick movements?

Tottenham were clearly better than United today, so fair play to them.
  24. Jan 31, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

100% agree it's worth the talk, just thought not a good time as looks like an excuse. My theory is that some players are just better at making stuff look like fouls. The ref can't possibly see behind the player, he doesn't know if there was contact. It's just that based on the fall and movement, it looks to him as foul and gives the benefit to attacker/home team. This has been part of football for ever.
  25. Jan 31, 2018

Rossa Full Member

I'd say most of the time it's hardly even a free kick. The ref often notices the foul, but then he is a "good" ref and lets the attacking team continue, but they are effectively a man down and have a disjointed attack.
  26. Jan 31, 2018

Anustart89 Full Member

If you're not interested to talk about refs, maybe you'd want to consider staying out of a thread that has 'refereeing' in the title, eh?

No, the ref wasn't the reason we lost today. Would we have had a better chance to get back into the game with better refereeing? feck yes. Give that handball on Son, we score the penalty and it's 2-1 and we're in with a shot. You know, just like we were in 2009 when we got a 56th minute penalty and went on to win 5-2.
  27. Jan 31, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    This whole “we lost therefore can’t discuss x, y. z thing” is pathetic. It is annoying how they seem to get away with so many fouls. Because they’re so close and tackling players that are rarely on the move it’s actually hard to generate enough force for a typical yellow but you’d think the sheer number of niggling fouls would count against them.
  28. Jan 31, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

I do agree with this but today was a bad example. We got the fouls we deserved and Spurs got the cards they deserved.
  29. Jan 31, 2018

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    I've always thought this, as well with Liverpool. It does seem to be the new fad though, and people want to let the game "flow". If a ref clamps down on it, they get harangued by crowd. I imagine its easier for them to let it go and only do the really obvious ones like Alli on Sanchez.
  30. Jan 31, 2018

Irrational. Full Member

Nah, Kane got away with at least three fouls breaking the counter and no booking given.

Dembele was rightly booked I suppose.
  31. Jan 31, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Who said the ref was to blame? Op? Posts since?
  32. Jan 31, 2018

Sylar Full Member

Spurs are smart to press our defenders because they will either hoof it or pass it backwards (and not even crisply). If we had somebody like Prime Rio, he would step forward or make a forward pass taking out a whole line and putting us on the attack.
  33. Jan 31, 2018

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

I think also generally why we're better against these teams at home...more likely to pressure the ref into giving the foul.
  34. Jan 31, 2018

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    I think what's more of a problem is the amount of shithouse challenges teams seem to be able to get away with when they're already losing against bigger sides.
  35. Jan 31, 2018

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Slightly defensive response there...

You'll find that the team who fouled the most last season immediately after giving the ball away were....drum roll....Spurs. It's the modern game. Refs just bottle punishing players because ppl get away with it every week. Managers encourage this because it effectively negates the chance of being caught on the counter.
  36. Jan 31, 2018

Harry Harries Full Member

I was about to say, did Kane get booked in the end? He made 2 fouls in quick succession in the first half but got nothing. Jones then fouled Kane and immediately got a yellow.
  37. Jan 31, 2018

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Smart from them, really. They also share their fouls around.

Not too much complaining from me though tonight, we weren't at the races.
  38. Jan 31, 2018

Irrational. Full Member

Nope, Alli and Dembele the only ones booked for Spurs. And those two were absolute barn door bookings, you could even argue Alli's could have been worse.
  39. Jan 31, 2018

Camilo Full Member

I think it's just an advantage of being a pressing team.
  40. Jan 31, 2018

Rossa Full Member

It's not a bigger problem, but it is a discussion albeit a very different one. What you mention is true of course, but here we are discussing those small, as @Pogue Mahone mentioned, barely enough contact to even make a foul and difficult to brandish a yellow card for. However, it happens all through the match. It's cynical, it disrupts the attack for the other team, but very little is done with it.