1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Hollywood vs Rotten tomatoes

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by utdalltheway, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Aug 21, 2017

utdalltheway Sexy Beast

2. Aug 21, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

This is exactly how I feel about Hollywood today and why I constantly find myself watching pre-2010 movies these days.
  3. Aug 21, 2017

utdalltheway Sexy Beast

Yeah, they're complaining that RT is saying some movies suck. Seems like a simple fix to me.
  4. Aug 21, 2017

Zarlak my face causes global warming

Truth like rain don't give a fuck who it falls on.
    The problem with things like Rotten Tomatoes, is that anyone can leave a review. And in this age that we live in, people slate and trash things for the slightest of reasons. If people voted movies bad for actually being bad then it wouldn't be a problem but that's not what happens. People see one thing they disagree with or find silly and they over exaggerate everything else about the movie in a ridiculous fashion. You see it in the movie review threads here where someone takes some insignificant thing and writes a 10 paragraph post about it. On top of that, movie critics tend to wrap up whether they liked the film or not in some massive length bullshit pretentious waffle which comes across harsher and more scathing than it should.

That's not absolving movies of blame, there are plenty of shit movies made today but you can't approach this discussion with the view that the masses of people out there most of who are the kind of eejits that post in the football forums here, the posters of RAWK and the posters of bluemoon etc are going onto RT and giving fair and unbiased reviews.
  5. Aug 21, 2017

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    I have no problem with people taking chances and the movie failing, I think most critics would agree with that. Its the relentless comic book/reboot push that drives me insane. Its not like there is a lack of original ideas in LA but the studios keep giving money to reboot spiderman every 6 months.
  6. Aug 21, 2017

utdalltheway Sexy Beast

I agree on the recycled content, though that's nothing new. The older one gets, the more one sees it. For teens, the latest Spiderman (or whatever) is a new thing. That's the audience of course they're aiming at.
    One problem Hollywood has is that the younger kids are using RT more and more, and that scares the crap out of them.
    Some people love the cinema experience and will go every week to see whatever, but because I go only about once or twice a year and at $14 a movie, I'm not taking chances.
  7. Aug 21, 2017

Alex99 Rehab's Pete Doherty Scout

But Rotten Tomatoes itself isn't like this. It aggregates review scores, but distinguishes between critics reviews and audience reviews. When ranking movies, it also takes into account the number of reviews.

In both instances, it aggregates the score. If a critic is particularly scathing about a particular aspect of a film and the actual write up comes across as harsh, that won't be reflected, just the score will
  8. Aug 21, 2017

Jippy Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes Scout

I like RT, although I don't always agree with reviews. They should ape imdb's parental guidance section. That is funny.
  9. Aug 21, 2017

Sure, but films have been massively impacted by masses of people pissed off at something voting en masse to purposely bring the score down. That's something you can't discount. The ability to do it is right there if people choose to, and that is inherently a potentially negative thing.
  10. Aug 21, 2017

FCBarca Mes que un Rag City Lover

Supports:
    Peace
    Bit like Tripadvisor & Yelp with businesses, just be better and scrutinize reviews rather than blindly accept them

Of course, RT also still rates Spielberg's A.I. at 73% so they aren't immune to pandering to Hollywood either
  11. Aug 21, 2017

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Public reviews are one thing but Hollywood can hardly complain when the shit films they make get a shit reception from professional critics. The RT scores are simply an extension of that.

Prefer metacritic, mind.
  12. Aug 21, 2017

Alex99 Rehab's Pete Doherty Scout

I get where you're coming from, but as I said, Rotten Tomatoes separates its official rating from the audience rating. The official rating is made up only through the scores given by actual critics. Most of the time they aren't too different either, because they'll have a few dozen critics at the very least, and a few hundred audience ratings.

I do think Hollywood needs to adapt to the fact that people don't want to spend money watching shite, and are now very capable of finding out if something is shite long before it hits the cinema screens.
  13. Aug 21, 2017

Kazi Full Member

RT isn't always right - look at Avengers...
  14. Aug 21, 2017

The only way RT can really be "wrong" is if you think their aggregate score doesn't accurately reflect the opinion of the critics they've assessed. Otherwise it's the critics you think are wrong, same as it has always been.
  15. Aug 23, 2017

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

You seem to be confusing RT with IMDB.
  16. Aug 23, 2017

I think I've visited IMDB like twice in my entire life.
  17. Aug 23, 2017

kps88 Full Member

Their scoring system can be misleading. For example, Logan Lucky is currently on 93%, but it's average rating is 7.5/10. From what I understand, this means 93% of the critics gave the movie a positive review, rather than critics rated it a 93/100 on average. Then you have Dunkirk which is also on 93%, but it's average rating is 8.7/10.

Obviously, people rarely notice the average rating. So in most people's minds, Logan Lucky and Dunkirk got the same critical reception, which isn't true.
  18. Aug 23, 2017

Yep, that's partly why I prefer Metacritic.
  19. Aug 23, 2017

Hullyback Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    Do people take reviews seriously anyway?

Especially ones that include Joe Public throwing his ten pence in.

The only time I'll check a review is after watching a film/listening to an album/playing a game that surprises me or I'd never expected a lot of and I'll go see how they scored.

Rotten tomatoes is definitely one I pay zero attention to though. I could list my 5-10 favourite ever films and I'll bet most of them have poor to average ratings.
  20. Aug 23, 2017

Moonred Full Member

I only care if something has a shit response/review. Most of them turn out to be actually shit. This obviously sometimes leads to watching shit as well but oh well.
  21. Aug 23, 2017

Runner Full Member

Baywatch wasn't that bad. It had Alexandra Daddario :drool::drool::drool:
  22. Aug 23, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

I tend to agree with ratings/critics in general. If some movie has a 7+ rating on IMDB roughly 5 years after its release it usually tends to be a good movie for my taste indeed. Genres that I watch: action, crime, thriller and mystery. In combination with drama.
  23. Aug 24, 2017

GBBQ Full Member

Which is fine in general but if you want to watch a relatively new film you'll see so many 10s and 1s in the first weeks from fanboys and begrudgers alike so it takes time for the score to level out. Metacritic is generally the fairest aggregator but for blockbuster/popcorn fare you still have to consider that certain critics will never give it more than a 3 star rating.
  24. Aug 24, 2017

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Give it a few mths after the initial hype and fanboys/haters died down the imdb rating does reflects a movie. It wasn't all that fake either, there are reasons rt and imdb still survives, both is still viewed as credible in the eyes of movie goers.
  25. Aug 24, 2017

MoBeats Conspiracy Buff

I thought AI was decent, cried my eyes out for days at the end of that. Welling up now thinking about it.