How do we approach the Europa League?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by WR, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Jan 29, 2012

Skholesy Full Member

I'd be happy with that, decent lineup with a mix of youth in there.

Edit: That Lingard and Cole are in there ahead of Morrison tells me something...
  2. Jan 29, 2012

Red Devil 26 Premature Examination

I understand where your coming from, and as I stated above I think rotation cost us in the Champions League, and it was not something I wanted us to do to the extent that we did. The Champions League for me is on par with the league in terms of importance, so I'd always like to see lineups as strong as possible in both these competitions. The Europa League however just isn't the same. If a player of great importance to our team was to get injured in that competition, and potentially miss a big game in the Prem as a result, I'd be very disappointed. If we were to win the Europa League do you think the players and staff would relish it?
  3. Jan 29, 2012

Skholesy Full Member

I see your point, which is why i don't want us to play our strongest team, but still one good enough, ie, a lineup better than that which faced palace with all sorts of square pegs to fit round holes like macheda or diouf on the wings and no recognisable midfield.

I think the key consideration should be player fatigue, less considering that a player gets injured in the Europa - because we could play a league game and players could still get injured - that's a risk we run every game we play and is down somewhat to luck.

If we were to apply a concept of resting players just because its the Europa league, we'd have to play almost all youth because a lot of our players would be classed as too important. We should be fine for strikers, but in midfield we won't be able to play carrick, scholes, giggs, valencia or nani because those are all key players given our injuries, and at the back we can't play evans, smalling, evra, because of Rio/Vidic's injuries.

I agree with you in that i don't want any players to get injured, but if we were to rest a whole lot of players we would be out, guaranteed. Club of our stature shouldn't be seen to be disrespecting a European trophy.
  4. Jan 29, 2012

DubaiReds Full Member

You seem to forget another thing the supporters. I don't know if your armchair supporters, overseas ones who can't get to a game or just a mere follower. But United have cost me a shed load of money. You accept you could lose that's the nature of the game. Standing in the Anfield Road End yesterday was not my most pleasant experience but shit happens. However, to sit and watch that abject performance against Palace in November and Blackburn with players "rested" makes me seeth. If we have so many injuries then perhaps there might be some truth in what Owen Hargreaves said about United's medical team ...I don't know. But to send out second rate United teams sends out a poor message to the paying public but it also gives the opposition a major lift. The consequences of such selections are clear for all to see.
  5. Jan 29, 2012

ralphie88 Full Member

Very very very stoned.
  6. Jan 29, 2012

arjwiz Full Member

I totally forgot about this!

What's the Dubai event next month?
  7. Jan 29, 2012

Cina Jimmy Lumsden (Moderator)

I die a little inside every time this thread gets bumped and I remember we're participating in this.
  8. Jan 29, 2012

DubaiReds Full Member

Dunno don't live there anymore. However it could be the desert golf classic, England playing, sorry losing, to Pakistan in the one day cricket internationals, or the boys getting a tan at the Burj al Arab or theJumeirah Beach Hotel. Take you pick. :smirk:
  9. Jan 29, 2012

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    Very disappointing so we are going to play are best team after all.
  10. Jan 29, 2012

Plechazunga Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan

Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
    I'd personally like us to sack off the Europa league. It's going to be hard enough challenging for the title with the injuries we've got.

But that's not how Fergie thinks, which is one of the reasons why he's the greatest manager in our history and I'm posting on Redcafe.
  11. Jan 29, 2012

pauldyson1uk Full Member

But we would of been in the same position if we had of still been in the CL.
    I don't see why we can't treat it the same , it is a European comp with silverwear , OK so its a lesser one the the CL.
  12. Jan 29, 2012

Well that's why. It's worth sacrificing the league for the CL, you can only really win it once or twice a decade unless you're an incredible side. For me, it's not worth sacrificing it (especially to City!) for the Europa.
  13. Jan 29, 2012

pauldyson1uk Full Member

Fair point , cant really argue with any of that.
  14. Jan 29, 2012

Well Fergie's with you, I'm sure.
  15. Jan 29, 2012

RonaldoVII Full Member

E236:24:101 Betfair: UTFAKVVTJ PSN:FrozenInHell
    By throwing the Europa League, we'll likely be sacrificing that to City. I don't see why we can't challenge for both as our players needing game time and the odd first XI player should be enough for the 1st leg of the ties and throw the rest in if needed for the 2nd leg.
  16. Jan 30, 2012

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Predicted or official?
  17. Jan 30, 2012

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Of course the first one.
  18. Jan 30, 2012

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Ah right, I think some have thought that was the official squad judging by posts above.
  19. Jan 30, 2012

redpie Full Member

I hope we take this competition seriously and play our strongest side.
  20. Jan 30, 2012

Kelvin Banned

feck this nonsense of playing a weak side, i am already pissed off with throwing 3 cup competition away even before the end of January.
  21. Jan 30, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

Losing gives you extra rests, but it also takes the wind out of your sails.

A good run in the Europa League won't be the worst thing in the world - especially if it gives everyone a good chance for game time.

For all talk of injuries, we've still got the likes of De Gea/Lindegaard, Fabio, Anderson, Cleverley, Berbatov etc who will benefit from the opportunities to play.
  22. Jan 30, 2012

Nathan Full Member

I think we should make every effort to put in strong performances and take it one game at a time. Our line up will be dictated by a number of factors, I am positive that with the correct application the team will progress through to the next round.
  23. Feb 12, 2012

Maciek Arrogant prick who is best ignored

I agree with Ferguson. Let's try to win this, especially that we're no longer in FA Cup.

It's obvious that the main thing is the league, but we can achieve something in this competition if we're going to treat it wisely. And too much of rest doesn't always help your players.

Nice to see that Fergie understood what had gone wrong in this year's Champions League group stage.
  24. Feb 12, 2012

giggs-beckham Clueless

I had a terrible thought that this comp could be his best chance of a European title before he retires.
  25. Feb 15, 2012

Maciek Arrogant prick who is best ignored

Ferguson: It's important for our own history to win this trophy.
  26. Feb 15, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Im glad to hear that tbh, something tells me we wont though.
  27. Feb 15, 2012

giggs-beckham Clueless

What's our route to the final look like, any ideas?
  28. Feb 15, 2012

Amir Full Member

We've got Lokomotiv or Bilbao if we beat Ajax. After that, it's all possible...
  29. Feb 15, 2012

giggs-beckham Clueless

Is that the quarter final, is it home and away up until the final?
  30. Feb 15, 2012

bsc Full Member

31. Feb 15, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

2nd knockout I think. Then quarter and semi draw will happen together. I hope we take this seriously. It would be utterly pointless to throw it away by putting out a makeshift XI of fringe players and capitulate in the first match like we did against Palace.
  32. Feb 15, 2012

Decotron Full Member

:lol:
  33. Feb 15, 2012

giggs-beckham Clueless

So that's potentially 9 games?
  34. Feb 15, 2012

dicko Full Member

Ferguson: "We definitely want to win this tournament. I am treating this seriously. We're going to have a go. The thing is to look forward to it. It's still European football, it's still a good standard of football. The great thing is that we don't have a game on the Saturday, so I can play my strongest team - and I will play my strongest team. It's a bit of a bonus for us.

"It's amazing that in 55 years' involvement in Europe, we've never played each other.The name of Ajax still has that aura about it. They are not having a great time at the moment and their directors have resigned, but I think playing against United they'll be well motivated. Like ourselves, they have always produced good players and played good football. They have a great stadium and great pitch.

"Hopefully we can get through. If we do, we play Athletic Bilbao or Lokomotiv Moscow in the next round, so that would be a challenge, but then it takes you to the quarter-finals and once you get that far you say to yourself: 'let's go the whole road'. I'll treat it as I treated some of the group games in the Champions League, but be a bit more careful with the number of young players I play in these games. It depends who we've got the following weekend in the Premier League."

Except we beat them in the UEFA Cup in 1976/77.
  35. Feb 15, 2012

holdsteady Hates Sir Alex Ferguson

That Bilbao tie would be tasty.
  36. Feb 15, 2012

Rood nostradamus like gloater

37. Feb 15, 2012

apotheosis O'Fortuna

Neither do i. the fact we don't give too much of a feck about it, means we can give some valuable playing time to the likes of Pogba, Fryers etc. It gives them games and experience that they may not have got otherwise, had we only the league to play for.

We may not like being in it, but we are where we are, so we should still be in it to win it. We have a big enough squad, bigger than the vast majority of clubs we will be facing, so we owe it to the fans who will pay to go out there to at least give it a good go.

It is not a certainty we will win the league, so keeping our options open in this competition at least gives us an extra opportunity to win some silverware this season. Obviously we all would want the league first, but winning something is considerably better than winning feck all.
  38. Feb 15, 2012

apotheosis O'Fortuna

Yes 2-1 on aggregate iirc. They were significantly tougher opponents then than the current Ajax side. Bilbao got to the final that year too, beaten by Juve who knocked us out as well!
  39. Feb 15, 2012

A grade The Languid One

Lurking in Berba's receeding hairline, stroking my
    Knowing that you need your passport for a trip to another country and remembering to bring him would be a good start.... Bellends.
  40. Feb 15, 2012

Maajid Formerly Mad

This :drool: