How good is our youth?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Cina, May 15, 2012.

1. May 15, 2012

Cina Shagawa Baby!

Right then, after spending the morning being all negative and annoyed about our midfield, it's time for some positivity.

I know this question has been posed before, but now is as good a time to bring it up again as any. The season is over, we've seen lots of our youngsters play throughout (some more than others) and have a pretty good indication as to how good they can become at this stage.

So where would everyone rate the quality and potential of our youth in contrast to other big clubs in Europe? I honestly can't think of many that have more potential superstars than we do. Welbeck, DDG, Jones, Smalling, Hernandez and the twins are probably the pick of the bunch (I can't really include Cleverley, he just hasn't played enough). From the looks of things we have lots of talent in the youth ranks too.

The only big club I can think of with better prospects than us is Barca, and maybe Arsenal would be close or on par, does anyone disagree?
  2. May 15, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

The current batch at the reserves are a special lot. Not are they talented but they also have a winners attitude. Shame to see Pogba leaving, but Tunnicliffe, Cole, Lingard, Keane Brothers, Petrucci are all very good players in their own right and have won nearly everything that they could've at the level they've played.
  3. May 15, 2012

Commadus Banned

Confirmed Pogba is leaving?
  4. May 15, 2012

Cina Shagawa Baby!

Tunnicliffe is the big one for me, he definitely needs a few years and a few loans but he looks like a super young player.
  5. May 15, 2012

KiD MoYeS Good Craig got his c'nuppins

With City spending billions I don't see our youth getting as much chances as they would've five years ago, like Pogba. But in terms of standard, we've the best youth in the country, there's no doubt abou' tha'.
  6. May 15, 2012

His agent has said that he's likely to leave United.

Yup he's a good talent, did pretty well at the age of 18 at the championship level. Think he'll again be loaned next season and then show his quality. Although Larnell Cole excites me the most, very good talent.

Out of the academy level, Januzaj, Daehli and Blackett are in my opinion excellent talents and all will have a career at Manchester United(again in my opinion)
  7. May 15, 2012

Cina Shagawa Baby!

What do you mean? As in we're going to be forced to buy players that will limit our youth?

Our policy is to buy potential stars (Jones, DDG, Smalling, Nani) , not already established stars, or maybe the odd established player who we think can make the step up here (Carrick, Valencia, Young).

If we buy this Summer, which I think we will, we won't suddenly change our policy and go buying 25/26 year olds for 25-30m, we'll still go for the youth, though I wouldn't be surprised if Fergie did the latter too and got a midfielder like Tiote.

Haven't seen much of Januzaj but a lot of people sing his praises. What's he like as a player?
  8. May 15, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

For those who have watched the reserves regularly, can you say this batch looks better than the Richardson/Fletcher bunch did? Because I imagine they were looked at very positively, and most of the highly rated players currently play at the top level, but if they're not at United it's not good enough for us.

The reason I ask is that naturally we get the selection of the best youngsters. The ones we'll miss out on are those who want to play down south, and probably the odd few at Liverpool. Anyone else just won't have been spotted yet I'd imagine. Assuming we do regularly have the best players, what makes this crop so different?
  9. May 15, 2012

KiD MoYeS Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Nope, I'm referring to our youth players from the academy. Of course we're not gonna change the policy of signing youngsters, but in a season were City did not spend massive money to essentially assemble a dream team I think we would've seen the likes of Pogba play about ten league games. It's all relative of course.
  10. May 15, 2012

Cina Shagawa Baby!

I see. Personally I don't think Pogba, despite his talent, was ready to play any league games this season so I don't think it would've had an effect.
  11. May 15, 2012

evra Full Member

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
    Second only to Barca.
  12. May 15, 2012

Great balance, glides around the pitch and left footer. Plays just behind the striker from the matches I've seen him play. Reminds me of David Silva.
  13. May 15, 2012

Cina Shagawa Baby!

Sounds shite.
  14. May 15, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I think it's certainly very good. Not as good as the class of the 90s with the likes of Giggs and Scholes, but it's very impressive and is arguably the best class that we have had since then.

The worrying thing is going to be how we handle these players, because a lot more media attention is given to youngsters now, which leads to them wanting very high wages because they already think they're big shots when they're still in their teens. We have seen it with Morrison who appeared to be a big of a thug anyway, while we could be seeing it with Pogba if he does indeed leave.

I certainly trust Fergie with his handling of young players, as he has done it successfully for decades and knows what he's doing. The problem may be that by the time this current crop are maturing and reaching their prime, Fergie may be leaving around then. I'm not sure how the new man would cope with all of the youngsters. It would be a great shame if their talents either went to waste, or were put to great use elsewhere.
  15. May 15, 2012

Laidback Levo Reclining

Agree with the majority of your post. Just a quick comment on the bolded section, in regards to Morrison as you say he's a thug and pretty unhinged. Not what you would class as the usual footie youngster.

With Pogba he wasn't brought up around the club to the degree that Larnell Cole and the others were. He was brought in with the promise of rewards and money, something which is turning his head again.

I think the youth that have been raised around the club and such won't have such high demands with money and such, they seem very down to earth.
  16. May 15, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

That's true. I was hesitant to mention Ravel at all because I know that he's very different to them and is a lot worse than all of them in regards to his behaviour.

The situation with someone like Pogba does slightly worry me though, if it's true. A lot of our youngsters are decent, down to earth guys, but fame and media hype can quickly change that. No one is better at handling youngsters than Fergie though, so we'll just have to hope he knows what he's doing with the modern day youngsters, which I'm sure he will.
  17. May 15, 2012

apotheosis O'Fortuna

The problem i have with academy players is that hardly any of them ever really make it. Who have we had come through to be a fixture in the first team in the last 10 years? Fletcher, Cleverley, Evans and Welbeck. Out of how many? Scores of players probably, dozens at least. That is not a great return really.

We had great hopes for Rossi, Pique, Morrison, Pogba. These were all highly talented players who we have had no real benefit from in the first team.

As for the young players in the squad, for me the jury is still out on most of them. Evans and Welbeck look the business now. Anderson, who knows? Has to be seen as disappointing at this point. People keep on going on about the twins, while moaning we need full backs. Cleverley is the new Anderson atm, hope he makes it, but again his breakthrough season is yet another disappointment overall.

I just don't know, but honestly, after watching Fergie throughout his time at OT, apart from Rooney and Ronaldo all his best signings have been experienced established players. After the Class of 92 we seem to have this belief that youth will always save the day, but that is the only time it ever has and we are still milking it for all it's worth now!

I have never really seen a team of promising youngsters grow up into a great team since then, some progress quicker than others, some don't progress as expected, most leave through lack of opportunity. Youngsters need to be complimented with a blend of players in their peak, throughout the pitch. Even the class of 92 team had that benefit!

So while some of our youngsters look good atm, i think if youngsters is all we are willing to buy nowadays, then i don't hold much optimism for any great future successes in these days of the sugar daddy!
  18. May 15, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    They're pretty terrible examples of why great hopes don't always bear fruit, seeing as Pique and Rossi went on to be two of the best in Europe in their position, Pogba might yet do the same and even Morrison could be right up there if he ever sorts his head out.

Your general point is right in that the attrition rate is very high but we've always produced youngsters of a very high standard (look how many PL regulars this season were once at United's academy) and the most recent bunch seems to be particularly highly rated so there's every chance we'll see the likes of Keane, Cole or Petrucci making an impact in the next few years (with younger kids like Daehli, Lawrence, Jaunsazj and Pereira not far behind)
  19. May 15, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

That's what I was thinking as well. That crop of players were considered very promising. Our average age isn't that high now so it would be tough for a reserve player to break through if he's a goalkeeper, center back, winger or a striker.
  20. May 15, 2012

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Robbie Brady is the pick of the bunch for me, I think the fans will love him and he'll be a top player. Wouldn't surprise me to see him step up next season, this is Fergies plan apparently.
  21. May 15, 2012

Anderson8 Full Member

Our youth is very good, but I do think they lack the x-factor that our class of 92 had..I'd be very surprised if Cleverley for example becomes anywhere near as Scholes or David Beckham.
  22. May 15, 2012

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    I like Robbie Brady I must say.
  23. May 15, 2012

Elliott Likes Loan Stickies

Quite physical too. Outstanding prospect, just hope he'll be back for pre-season and that he isn't injury prone.
  24. May 15, 2012

Homeomorphic Banned

Really?

Dortmund: Subotic (23), Hummels (23), Schmelzer (24), Sven Bender (23), Gündogan (21), Götze (19), Großkreutz (23), Lewandowski (23), Perisic (23) and soon Reus (22) for Kagawa (23)

Bayern: Boateng (23), Badstuber (23), Alaba (19), Kroos (22), Müller (22)

Real Madrid: Varane (19), Marcelo (24), Coentrao (24), Sahin (23), Granero (24), Özil (23), Di Maria (24), Benzema (24), Higuain (24)

Since the OP has mentioned Hernandez who will turn 24 in two weeks and Evans has also been mentioned, I have used 24 as the maximum age for "youth".
  25. May 15, 2012

Decotron Full Member

Not sure why Madrid deserve a mention in here....
  26. May 15, 2012

Homeomorphic Banned

Because they have some of the best young players in the world in their current squad? Isn't this thread about exactly that?

27. May 15, 2012

I think the OP meant as the talent coming out of youth academies or talents in reserve.
  28. May 15, 2012

Homeomorphic Banned

He can't possibly mean that when he mentions DDG, Hernandez and Jones as examples for Manchester United youth?
  29. May 15, 2012

evra Full Member

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
    Forgive me, I was referring to players who have been through our academy. It is my firm belief that aside from Barca we have the best in the world.
  30. May 15, 2012

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

I really like our reserves, that was actually a point in the season where I looked forward to watching them play more than the First Team (in terms of quality of Football). We have some really good players but there's no telling how they'll develop.
  31. May 15, 2012

Sorry by OP I meant Evra the poster. My mistake.
  32. May 15, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

On the contrary, I think its a good time to be coming through the academy right now. If we are scouring the world looking for exciting young prospects, like Hernandez or Jones, why wouldn't we give opportunities to similarly promising players coming through our own ranks?

If these kids are as promising as many on here suggests then they'll get their chances. It's cheaper than competing with City in the market for established names.
  33. May 15, 2012

Stobzilla Official Team Perv

Exactly, I think we are going to be bringing through some spectacular young players over the next few years, particularly now we can get more time with them when the academy changes get brought in.
  34. May 16, 2012

mo0 Full Member

hear, hear.
  35. May 16, 2012

Moriarty Full Member

Ajax used to have the best in Europe at one time. Are they still churning out class players with monotonous regularity or is that a thing of the past?
  36. May 16, 2012

IL_DUCE Full Member

I have seen a lot of young norwegian talents over the years, and Mats Møller Dæhli is by far the best i have ever seen. He is a VERY good player. I expect to see him make his debut in our 1.team within 2-3 years if he stays healthy. I am of course aware that his development may stagnate, but there is something about this kid. There is certainly no doubt that he is a very special talent.
  37. May 16, 2012

apotheosis O'Fortuna

Fair enough Pogue, but that was the point about those 4 players. We waited in great anticipation for them to come through, and yet they will all bear fruit somewhere other than here. Which is not much reward for all the hype really.

So while i agree we have some promising youngsters, i am reluctant to get my hopes up too high, as the vast majority of them do not become first team regulars, for us anyway! In the modern era especially, with agents trying to cash in early on their unfulfilled talent i have a feeling there is even less chance of a group coming through all at once to be regulars.

I see the few youngsters who do occasionally make it as an additional bonus, rather than viewing our general youth set up as a reliable supply of potential first teamers.
  38. May 16, 2012

KingEric7 Conspiracy enthusiast

I think the difference with our youngsters this time round as opposed to with previous teams is that we are absolutely loaded with talent in pretty much every position. It's annoying that the midfielders we have though, who are absolutely quality, aren't just that bit older or more experienced.

It's difficult to say who will make it for reasons already mentioned in this thread. I'd be suprised if Cole didn't make it here as at least a squad player. Januzaj, Daehli, Barmby, Lawrence....all class players (Pereira looks a fantastic talent too, though I've not seen much of him). We've a group there that may even be better than the Pogba, Tunnicliffe, Morrison generation. I'm not so sure about Petrucci, despite coming back strongly after injury this year. It's a difficult one - for me, I think injury has taken the sort of special aura he had about him (he was fecking brilliant at one point), but next year is a key one for him. I think he's said himself that he's not fully right yet and will need more time, so we'll just see what happens with him. He'll go on loan, I should imagine, and may well come back to a team that has sorted out the midfield issue whilst he's been away.

Will Keane is an excellent youngster but, again, he's another one I have reservations about in regards to whether or not he'll make it as a starter; this time on the basis that he has Welbeck ahead of him in his position. Still, he's got great technique and seems quite level-headed and professional. He'll make it at Premiership level, no doubt.

I think the great shame is Josh King, funnily enough. I would've bet my left and right testicle 2 seasons ago on him being a starter for us . I think I probably did on here at one point. His finishing wasn't at the standard, say, Rossi's was when he was here, but that combination of pace and dribbling ability was hugely encouraging. I'm not sure whether he'll make it now given the emergence of Welbeck and the competition with Will Keane, but who knows? I thought he had a bit of Brazilian Ronaldo about him at one point, but fecking injuries again have hindered his progress. He's been riddled with them.

Injuries, injuries, injuries....we've seen the effects of them in our first team, but it's really hindered the progress of two absolutely exceptional youngsters in King and Petrucci.