How high would you rank Ole among the legends of the club?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by The Azzurri, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Jan 5, 2019

Trizy Full Member

Higher than before because he's essentially came back and made the fans fall in love with the club again while doing it with a smile.

I don't think he should stay past his caretaker term for experience reasons. But it's better that way.
  2. Jan 5, 2019

Devil81 Full Member

Are you taking the piss!

He's a full-on legend of the club, the guy provided my generations greatest United moment of all time. It can't be matched in any way or form, besides the point he was an amazing player to boot, he gave me moment in time that can only be beaten by birth of my two children and marrying my wife.

All the legends have equal status in my eyes and he's earnt that place.
  3. Jan 5, 2019

izec Full Member

He is a legend, not on the first few places, but somewhere behind, but still a legend.
  4. Jan 5, 2019

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Sir Matt is above them all for me, so you mean 6th behind Sir Matt, Sir Alex, Sir Bobby, Georgey Best, King Eric.
  5. Jan 5, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Missed a couple I know, I never saw them play so I struggled to remember some on the fly.
  6. Jan 5, 2019

beedoubleyou Full Member

Well done.
  7. Jan 5, 2019

pablo__p New Member

He's a definition of a club legend. Ole the player has done legendary things consistently over many years of his immaculate service for the club. On top of that Ole the manager comes out of the blue and turns the corner immediately by his mere presence.
  8. Jan 5, 2019

Jev Full Member

Why are so many mentioning Duncan Edwards? I mean it's terribly sad that he died but he wasn't the only one. He was 21 at the time and had played, what, two or three full first-team seasons? There's every chance he would have gone on to become a legendary player for us but honestly, how many of you have seen him play?
  9. Jan 5, 2019

Devil81 Full Member

To be fair I think Keano deserves a lot more credit for the trophies he captained the club too. He drove the team forward game on game and kept the flash boys from letting their ego run away with themselves.
  10. Jan 5, 2019

Tom Van Persie No relation

:nono:

Absolutely a legend. Scored one of the most important and iconic goals in United's history.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  11. Jan 5, 2019

Tomuś Nani is crap, I tell you!

He is a legend. Special kind of, that is difficult to place on a list like you can do with Rios and Rooneys. Similar to Cantona but still different kind of a legend.
  12. Jan 5, 2019

lex talionis Full Member

I’ve met two people who have followed United since the 1950s and saw Edwards play. They both told me that without any question he was the greatest footballer they ever saw. And both saw Pele, Best and Maradona.
  13. Jan 5, 2019

OverratedOpinion Full Member

I think legendary status can be achieved through different means, performances on the pitch being most important whilst special moments and dedication to the club also contribute. Ole shines hugely in the lesser two categories, he had a load of great moments before even mentioning Munich and he clearly has a real bond with the club.

His levels of performance are obviously a step below players like Rooney, Giggs, Best etc. Due to him not quite having their natural talent. He is definitely a legend but due to this being most important he is a rung below them.

Now if he goes on to be a great manager for us he might go into that top tier.
  14. Jan 5, 2019

Schneckerl Full Member

Above Rooney. Scored more CL winners.
  15. Jan 5, 2019

Red00012 New Member

Rooney asked for transfer request. Plus played rubbish for 3/4 seasons before he left.
  16. Jan 5, 2019

el3mel Full Member

Did you try to read or just jumped to comment ? He's definitely a legend, he's not just not vey high up as we have loads of other legends that will take higher spots, no because he himself isn't worth of a high spot. It's just because we as a club were lucky to have such number of legends, but he's definitely one ot them.
  17. Jan 5, 2019

Rifer Full Member

:devil: If Ole manage this current squad to actually win things especially the big trophies (league and/or FACup especially, CL would be a big nice surprise), for sure his Legend rank will go up and up~

---

Top Tier 1: Sir Matt Busby, Sir Alex Ferguson
    Top Tier 2: Jimmy Murphy, Busby Babes, ...
    Tier 3: Trinity, 99 Treble Squad, 08 'European Double' Squad, ...
    Tier 4: Robson, Best, Ronaldo, 2R, C92, Squad 06/07, Rio-Vidic, Bruce-Pallister, ...
    Tier 5: Cantona, Keane, Beckham, Vidic, 20Legend, ...
    Tier 6: Irwin, Giggs, Scholes, Park, Van der Sar, ...
    Lowest Tier 7: Rio, GNev, Schmeichel, Rooney, ...

*Individually and as a grouping are two different things,
    eg. C92 is higher rank while Beck and Giggs are lower, GNev is also a lot lower.
    eg. Butt and PNev as part of C92 group are legends, but individually for me no.
    eg. Tevez as part of our legendary squad 07/08 and one of Ronaldo-Tevez-Rooney groups are legend, but individually Tevez is no way, a big fat no freaking way!*
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  18. Jan 5, 2019

RedFish Full Member

Swearing in traffic near Deansgate roundabout.
    No way anyone lived through and watched his career at United and not regard him as a bone fide legend. if you lived it , you just wouldn't need to ask.
  19. Jan 5, 2019

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Soz Bruz but Cantona is tier 2 verging on tier 1. I never saw enough of him playing, but Cantona is the King.
  20. Jan 6, 2019

chromepaxos Full Member

Ole was a legend just as a result from his playing career, but the last three weeks have already taken him to another level.

The change we have all felt since Mou departed, the emotional uplift, the return to joy of watching Man Utd play the way they should - these are absolutely the things that legends are made of.

We are never going to forget what Ole has given us in the last five matches - let alone when he was a player.

If he wasn't a legend before, he definitely is now.
  21. Jan 6, 2019

UNITED ACADEMY New Member

As a player, He’s a legend obviously no doubt but he’s below Rooney in term of being legend of the club imo. But obviously way above Brown, Park & O’shea. And above Evra, Stam, van der sar

He’s very well known as a super sub, final champions league, that red card tackle to save the team, baby face assassin nickname.
  22. Jan 6, 2019

Billy Blaggs Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

i just watched it again. legend
  23. Jan 6, 2019

MorraGambit New Member

Did you read the page you just linked above? Because he is there under top scorers. So, our official website does class him as a legend.
  24. Jan 6, 2019

Negan New Member

He wouldn’t get into my All Time 11 but he is most definitely a legend.

List of United “Legends” (1990-current) IMO...

Schmeichel
    Van Der Sar
    ————————-
    Pallister
    Bruce
    Stam
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    —————————
    Gary Neville
    Irwin
    Evra
    ——————————
    Robson
    Keane
    Scholes
    Carrick
    ——————————
    Giggs
    Beckham
    Ronaldo
    ——————————
    Cantona
    Solskjaer
    Cole
    Van Nistelrooy
    Rooney

“Cult Heroes”... O’Shea, Johnsen, Brown, Phil Neville, Park, Kanchelskis, Nani, Fletcher, Yorke, Sheringham, Van Persie, Chicharito, Berbatov, Ibrahimovic.
  25. Jan 6, 2019

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

Cantona has a shout for being the most beloved player we've ever had at Utd.

I wasn't alive to see Best Law and Charlton playing and I only caught the tail end of Robson but in my lifetime of watching Utd Cantona is easily the most popular player we've had. No chance is he tier 5.
  26. Jan 6, 2019

Will Singh Full Member

Look what him coming to the club has done, he's put a smile on everyone's face and got the lads playing the United way after all they've been through with previous managers. That's legendary stuf right there, can't believe some people don't think he's a legend is just crazy.
  27. Jan 6, 2019

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

Hell, even Sir Bobby says that Edwards was the only player that made him feel inferior and he's played with plenty of footballing greats.
  28. Jan 6, 2019

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

Ole is already a club legend but he's going to end up on the same tier as Eric if he gets us to 4th place this season.

Some contributions just can't be measured via the results. Eric lifted us and made us believe that we're winners and it showed even long after he retired. Ole's brought back the joy to the club and fans, which is the damn point of the game in the first place.
  29. Jan 6, 2019

SER19 Full Member

100%
  30. Jan 6, 2019

keithsingleton New Member

Probably the most sensible post I've read if I'm being honest. Legendary status is not earned over night let alone in the last seconds of a CL final. I've been a very lucky man/fan as was born in the 60s so had a incredible time watching our success over many years.

Biggest legend at the top of my tree is SAF then probably Scholes. However, with so many to choose from you couldn't really knock anyone's opinion. Ole at this moment in time would be near bottom of list. However, if he went on to be the next SAF he would soon creep up that list.
  31. Jan 6, 2019

BULB New Member

He was a fan favourite.

He had a legendary moment.

He is not a legend.
  32. Jan 6, 2019

SS Full Member

Yeah, he did alright, I guess.
  33. Jan 6, 2019

Eire Red United Full Member

If Ole had just appeared out of nowhere in 99, scored that goal and never played again, he’s be a legend. The fact he played for so long, loved the club and scored so many important goals as well as that obvious one means he is right up there along with the best of them and is enhancing that legend status at the minute.
  34. Jan 6, 2019

TwoSheds More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Don't quite get why Rooney appears in your list over Big Dunc then, biggest whore going. Personally think Neville, Irwin, Evra, Robson and Vidic should be in the list too and maybe Steve Bruce?
  35. Jan 6, 2019

Mr. MUJAC Talent spotter

Beckham and Vidic higher than Scholes and Giggs?

Park higher than Rooney and Neville?

Wow!
  36. Jan 6, 2019

Imran Mamdani New Member

too early to say. let's get a decent number of games (like 10) - then judge.
  37. Jan 6, 2019

Imran Mamdani New Member

Apologies misread the question - as a manager too early.. as a player he was a super sub and made instant impact most of the time. I wouldn't say he would be at the top of the three but certainly top 10-15.
  38. Jan 6, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

You do realise that Cantona and Ronaldo were both at United for 5 seasons. Better yet Ronaldo made more appearances, scored more goals and won a Ballon D'or and a champions league medal. They are both club legends. And so is Ole. Also your definition of the word "decent" must be very different to everyone else's.
  39. Jan 6, 2019

Josh 76 New Member

Club legends are identified during the most successful period of the Clubs history.
    If you look at it from the late 60s, Best Charlton and Law stand out
    Early 70s to late 70s....any legends ?
    Early 80s to late 80s....Robbo (3 fa cups and being at The club so long as club captain)
    90s onwards was out most successful period. The list of legends is endless, including Ole in that list.
  40. Jan 6, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Oh yes it can.
    He is mainly remembered for that CL winning goal which was certainly fantastic and yes he was a decent player but not on the same level as the true legends:
    Best, Charlton, Law, Keane, Robson, Cantona, Rooney and class of 92.